AVS Forum banner
625K views 4K replies 602 participants last post by  TimA 
#1 ·

Do you have a issue with HD audio from these players? DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD not showing up on your receiver?

See the following posts within this thread.

See posts #193, #203, #204, #499, and #740.

590 features over 390.

1. 3D support

2. Additional rear USB port

3. Optical audio output

4. Front display

5. Standard width

Comparison (courtesy of Amazon):

DLNA and USB update with the S590/S390/S790

NTFS formatted USB drive fully supported.

Sony will play the following formats NATIVELY over DLNA.

Video:

Container: MKV. Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: M2TS Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, VC-1, Mpeg2. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: VOB Video codec:Mpeg 2. Audio codec: LPCM, Dolby Digital

Container: m4v mp4 Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, XVID. Audio Codec: AAC

Audio:

Mp3, AAC

Tested with

Mac:

Playback DLNA server (Yazsoft)

Serviio and  Homestream

PLAYBACK DLNA from Yazsoft

For the best iLife integration with iTunes and iPhoto, Playback DLNA server is superb !!

Get Playback Here > http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

Serviio/Homestream work with Windows, Mac and Linux

Sony has its own re-branded version of Serviio called HomeStream. You can download it here .

Use the BRAVIA profile. Don't use the default BD player profile, as Sony made some changes during a recent firmware update !

Serviio users, use the "Bravia 2012 - US" profile for best compatibility and minimum transcoding or remuxing. You can decide if you enable transcoding or not on the server. See files supported above.

Basically, if you have a bunch of MKVs using the VC-1 or Mpeg2 codecs and don't want to remux with TSMuxer, then you will need to enable transcoding on Serviio or Homestream to playback the files.

A note about MKVs. You may find FF/REW will not work very well with the player. M2TS containers work fine, but then dont support chapter markers ... so there are trade-offs.

Support Info

Sony has added the S590 (and S390) to their USA support pages. Available here .

Useful Settings

During playback of BD or DVD

Picture Quality : Normal (standard mode. Avoid using the others)

BNR: Off

MNR: Off

During Internet video playback

IP Content Noise Reduction: Off

Screen Settings:

All defaults other than:

Screen Format: Actually toggle this one back and forth between Full and Normal depending on if I want 4:3 content to be stretched across 16:9. This setting only effects DVD. Streaming content is not effected (with latest firmware).

** Ensure you download the latest firmware that addresses an issue with YCbCr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB colorspaces **

The firmware may also introduce a problem playing back some files with DLNA. If you are using Serviio or HomeShare, refer to the following post with a fix:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/1560#post_22244982

Audio settings:

DSD Output mode: DSD (note, you can only do this if you're receiver can decode DSD directly

BD Audio Mix: Off (Allows for high-resolution audio bitstream from player)

Audio DRC: Off (Hate compression generally)

Downmix: Surround (if you're receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic / II or DTS Neo, etc)

A note about 24p

There are now two settings for 24p output.

By default they are

BD-ROM 24p output: On

DVD-ROM 24p output: Off

and I left them like that. Many DVDs are not 24p compatible, and with DVD generally a last resort, can't be bothered to keep toggling this one.

SEN Portal:

Read this post within the thread: here

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton /forum/post/21754971

Do either of the 390 or the 590 have component video output??

Those became "illegal" on BD players last year (see this ). Well, the outputs aren't illegal until next year but outputting HD over them is and I don't think that any of the manufacturers are equipping players with them.

#29 ·
There are converter boxes out there that will do HDMI -> Component but the good units cost as much or more than many of these BD players.

Jason

#31 ·
My big question for the new Sony BD players, are they still using a hardware chipset that has inaccurate video decoding to HDMI output levels. This was an issue with all of the x70 and x80 series (and probably earlier series also) of Sony BD players. The on-line web site "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity" first reported on this issue with the Sony chipset last year ( HERE is Part I of the article and HERE is Part II - also see subsquent BD player reviews that report on this issue). One consequence of this issue is if you have calibrated your HDTV for other sources connected via HDMI then the gamma curve will be non-linear and different when the Sony BD player is used as the source. The PS3 does not appears to have this issue (it does the decoding in software rather than the dedicated hardware that is used in the Sony standalone BD players). Some other brands of BD players either do not have this issue (e.g., Oppo) or only have a similar issue when certain video processing options are turned on by the user (e.g., Panasonic).

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21748415

Hi Guys.

My S390 arrived today. I've got some very interesting updates. Didn't have a chance to properly test things out but I can report the following updates:

1) Good news for you Netflix fans. The Netflix UI is completely overhauled and is using one of the standard Netflix UI's. Looks just like the PS3 to me. The new S390 supports 1080p streams and Dolby Digital + bitstream. I can confirm it is 1080p, because selecting DISPLAY when a movie is playing shows the X-High setting (like the PS3). Finally !!!!!!!!

2) Amazon VOD has had a small update. It now will push Dolby Digital bitstream out for Movies in 5.1. Before with the x80 series, the audio was converted inside the player to mutli-channel PCM and sending out via HDMI. Now you just get the 5.1 bitstream.

3) Same apps as before. No changes I can see. VUDU is on here which is good.

4) HULU+ app is as it was before. That's a small disappointment, was hoping to see the PS3 HULU+ app moved over. Still ... at least HULU+ works.

5) iPhone app works as before, however the text input does not work inside VUDU or Netflix since its using a custom UI.

6) Favorites has being completely removed from the XMB. This is because this feature will be incorporated into the new SEN portal. The SEN portal is showing "Coming Soon", so I can't let you know what thats about yet .....

Overall, I've very encouraged by this new 2012 player from Sony. More later.

** update **. I can confirm the above info on streaming is also applicable to the Sony SDP-S590 as well.

Can you comment on the responsiveness of the Netflix interface on either of the Sony players that you own? I recently picked up a Panasonic 220 and the Netflix menus are really slow to respond, although actual streaming performance is good. Thanks in advance.

#33 ·
It's a little strange that the 390 doesn't have an LED display on the box. I'm starting to lean towards the 590, but it can't be pre-ordered from Amazon as of yet. apw2607, I take it that you ordered your 590 through Sony rewards? How long did it take to get it?

#34 ·
It shipped out in a day or so. They used FedEx for shipping. Two day I think. Was impressed.

Note, returns I think could be more difficult with Sony rewards v Sony online store ...

It's odd Sony rewards have the 590 but Sony online don't.

Other option right now is b&h.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21755990

Other option right now is b&h.

Still only pre-order for the 590.

#36 ·
That's interesting .... They were in stock two days ago ! Odd they have gone back to pre-order.

Two other questions :

Netflix Ui response : totally fine.

Video processor question: that "review" last year was messed up. They reviewed the player not realising it had not being returned to default settings.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21756028

That's interesting .... They were in stock two days ago ! Odd they have gone back to pre-order.

Two other questions :

Netflix Ui response : totally fine.

Video processor question: that "review" last year was messed up. They reviewed the player not realising it had not being returned to default settings.

Source?

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz /forum/post/21756116

[/b]

Source?

"Sony Player Actually is Correct and Working Properly

written by Jay Dawn , February 12, 2012

The BDP-S380 apparently fully and correctly maps the video quantization ranges when it is fully reset and correctly set up to do so.

Apparently the test unit used in the evaluation was not fully RESET since the Picture Quality setting page was never accessed and resulted in testing being done that was not performed in the STANDARD mode.

From the mapping numbers quoted in the above faulty test, the player was tested fully in the CINEMA mode which purposely reduces screen levels and in doing so, the Sony player does remap the quantization numbers.

STANDARD mode, (not CINEMA or BRIGHT LIGHTING modes), should be used for playing back a Calibration test disc. "

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...r.html?start=4

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies /forum/post/21755272

Do the Sony blu-rays have an MLB.tv app? Deciding between the Panasonic 220 and the Sony 390 or 590. Although I don't think I will do the 3D thing any time soon, I prefer the 590 for the USB in the front and the back. But I absolutely have to have the MLB.tv app!

Not currently, however the full SEN portal still says "coming soon" when you click on the icon or hit the button on the remote.

According to SEN ... MLB is listed as a SEN partner .. so the app could show up ..

http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/media-partners

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/21755642

My big question for the new Sony BD players, are they still using a hardware chipset that has inaccurate video decoding to HDMI output levels. This was an issue with all of the x70 and x80 series (and probably earlier series also) of Sony BD players. The on-line web site "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity" first reported on this issue with the Sony chipset last year ( HERE is Part I of the article and HERE is Part II - also see subsquent BD player reviews that report on this issue). One consequence of this issue is if you have calibrated your HDTV for other sources connected via HDMI then the gamma curve will be non-linear and different when the Sony BD player is used as the source. The PS3 does not appears to have this issue (it does the decoding in software rather than the dedicated hardware that is used in the Sony standalone BD players). Some other brands of BD players either do not have this issue (e.g., Oppo) or only have a similar issue when certain video processing options are turned on by the user (e.g., Panasonic).

Greetings Ron. Thanks for posting this disturbing piece of information.

Would you know if the s185 suffers from the same issue?

Many thanks and best regards.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21756427

Not currently, however the full SEN portal still says "coming soon" when you click on the icon or hit the button on the remote.

According to SEN ... MLB is listed as a SEN partner .. so the app could show up ..

http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/media-partners

Thanks for the link. Did last year's Sony's have MLB.tv? I figured the Sony's had it since the PS3 has it. But like you said, if it is not offered on release it looks like it will be added shortly with an update...hopefully before the season starts.

#42 ·
I cancelled my Amazon pre-order for the 390 and ordered a 590 from Sony Rewards ($150 w/free shipping but unfortunately 8.5% CA state tax). Oh well--it's my birthday tomorrow so I'm unrepentant. I expect to be returning the Panasonic BDT220, but I'll wait until I've got the 590 and put it through its paces.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies /forum/post/21756964

Thanks for the link. Did last year's Sony's have MLB.tv? I figured the Sony's had it since the PS3 has it. But like you said, if it is not offered on release it looks like it will be added shortly with an update...hopefully before the season starts.

No, they didn't have it last year.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21756984

I cancelled my Amazon pre-order for the 390 and ordered a 590 from Sony Rewards ($150 w/free shipping but unfortunately 8.5% CA state tax). Oh well--it's my birthday tomorrow so I'm unrepentant. I expect to be returning the Panasonic BDT220, but I'll wait until I've got the 590 and put it through its paces.

Nice. When I ordered last week, the price was $135. Guess I lucked out ! I look forward to your impressions. Just to pre-warn you the Amazon VOD UI and HULU UI haven't changed from the 2011 players. There ok, but folks complain the cover art is on the small-ish size. I personally think its ok. It's more that the streaming itself works great, and as I said, the Amazon VOD got updated to support native DD.

Also you can text search to find shows easily. (Very easy when using the Sony app on the iphone/android devices, as it supports text input).

#45 ·
DLNA and USB update with the S590:

Tested a 30.9GB MKV (1080p/25 33.27Mbit/s MKV (H264) with DTS-High Resolution audio) and played perfectly.

Then tried the same MKV file using the DLNA Media Server: Serviio 0.6.2 on my iMac (free download), and the file also played back perfectly. No trans coding. Native !!

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21756984

One other thing ... the unit was shipped from Carson, CA ... so I would imagine you would get it very soon since you're in San Diego.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21757352

One other thing ... the unit was shipped from Carson, CA ... so I would imagine you would get it very soon since you're in San Diego.

Carson's a tiny little southwestern suburb of LA, between Torrance and Long Beach. It's 115 miles from the center of Carson to my front door--I usually get overnight delivery for ground service from a suburban LA distribution center, unless it was ordered for 2nd or 3rd day delivery, in which case it'll get here overnight and be held for delivery on the promised day
. Regularly ground service shipments get put on the truck for delivery on the day that it arrives.

If they ship it ground today I should get it on Monday

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlai531 /forum/post/21757395

thoughts on the Sony S590 vs the Panny BDT220?

both are 3D wifi players for $150. This will be my first blu-ray player and not really sure if different brands have discernible differences in pix quality. Any idea which one boots up faster?

Well, I guess since I've owned both I can take a shot at answering your question. Although can you clarify when you say "boot up" ... are you talking about the player first starting up in order to access its own menu's ... or start a bluray disk?

If its the former, both the Panasonic and the Sony now have "fast boot" capabilities, in this mode they require additional power when in standby, but boot almost instantly.

Bluray load times seem similar, although I've not done any timing, or proper testing. Nothing jumped out though.

At this stage in bluray's overal life, and the cost we're at with players, I personally don't see much difference in bluray picture quality between players. I've not done extensive a-b comparisons either. Similarly, DVD up scaling has matured to a point where most manufactures can provide decent upscaling capabilities.

With technology changing so fast, whether a new video format, resolution, codec, streaming service, input device, app, etc ... I am no longer going to spend a bunch of hard earned on expensive playback devices, when they become obsolete so fast. Although manufactures can add features and upgrades through software, many hold back because they know there is always another year, and that means they can add something new for next year to tempt consumers.

Finally, bluray players now are so much more than bluray play back. Their added value is the streaming services they offer, as well as playing back local media. Often consumers pick a particular player over another because of a particular streaming service or compatibility to media.

Certainly thats the reason why I picked the Sony S590 over the Panasonic 220

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21757278

DLNA and USB update with the S590:

Tested a 30.9GB MKV (1080p/25 33.27Mbit/s MKV (H264) with DTS-High Resolution audio) and played perfectly.

Then tried the same MKV file using the DLNA Media Server: Serviio 0.6.2 on my iMac (free download), and the file also played back perfectly. No trans coding. Native !!

good to hear... but the 580 did that, as well. I was disappointed to see that the new players are still not supporting VC-1, which makes them partially useless for high resolution movie playback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.