Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by parigi View Post

Hello everyone, I tried various web application and it's fine if a little slow, your work this way? I have my internet connection at 20 Mb (very fast)
It can bring up the onscreen keyboard, 'cause it would be nice?
Do you know if and 'can connect to a wireless keyboard?
Thanks for the replies.

Check back a few pages somebody used a wired USB KB in the front port of the 590 and said it worked fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM

I just purchased the 390 and I set some screen setting to theatre for screen brightness. Unfortunately I cannon find this setting again - my picture is to dark and I want to change it! Any help appreciated.....
post #723 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgeMN View Post

I just purchased the 390 and I set some screen setting to theatre for screen brightness. Unfortunately I cannon find this setting again - my picture is to dark and I want to change it! Any help appreciated.....

Hit the options button during playback and then goto video settings
post #724 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought I saw a post about the differences between the 390 and the 590, but now I can't find it.

Is it really just that the 590 does 3D and the 390 doesn't?
post #725 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Anyone have firmware flashes take for... ev... er?

Unboxed it, got it wired up (including hard ethernet run back to the router), and decided to just flash it up and get it over with. That was 40 mins ago and it's still sitting at step 1 of 9 and is no longer even outputting video.
post #726 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleric View Post

Anyone have firmware flashes take for... ev... er?

Unboxed it, got it wired up (including hard ethernet run back to the router), and decided to just flash it up and get it over with. That was 40 mins ago and it's still sitting at step 1 of 9 and is no longer even outputting video.

It shuts off after the update is over. Just hit the on button on the remote.
post #727 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

I thought I saw a post about the differences between the 390 and the 590, but now I can't find it.

Is it really just that the 590 does 3D and the 390 doesn't?

See this post.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #728 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

See this post.

590 also has optical audio out. I added everything to post #1 for easy reference in future.
post #729 of 4059 Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

It shuts off after the update is over. Just hit the on button on the remote.

Yes, but that doesn't answer to why it sat there at step 1 of 9 for 50 minutes. Anyway, they say not to power it off during update... that's hard to program update logic for because of timing and error handling. Network outages? Yeah, they program for stuff like that.

So I unplugged the switch it's wired through to drop network traffic and two minutes later it shut itself off. Booted it back up, it was fine, fired off the update once more. This time the switch ports of it and the uplink to the router lit up like a Christmas tree and update was done 3 minutes later. It did one more, again in like 3-4 minutes, and all is well.

Amazon Prime is now functional, Pandora is functional, DVD playback works, etc... I'll work on the rest tomorrow.

One final note... I finally picked up WotW on blu-ray with this player. I just got done watching the pod emergence scene.

Holy crap. My Hsu was trying to walk off with the couch, and the volume wasn't even up at my usual reference point for movie watching (wife... well... she WAS asleep on the couch next to me until it started vibrating like mad).

I'll have to try that again tomorrow at full tilt.
post #730 of 4059 Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, but that doesn't answer to why it sat there at step 1 of 9 for 50 minutes. Anyway, they say not to power it off during update... that's hard to program update logic for because of timing and error handling. Network outages? Yeah, they program for stuff like that.

So I unplugged the switch it's wired through to drop network traffic and two minutes later it shut itself off. Booted it back up, it was fine, fired off the update once more. This time the switch ports of it and the uplink to the router lit up like a Christmas tree and update was done 3 minutes later. It did one more, again in like 3-4 minutes, and all is well.

Amazon Prime is now functional, Pandora is functional, DVD playback works, etc... I'll work on the rest tomorrow.

One final note... I finally picked up WotW on blu-ray with this player. I just got done watching the pod emergence scene.

Holy crap. My Hsu was trying to walk off with the couch, and the volume wasn't even up at my usual reference point for movie watching (wife... well... she WAS asleep on the couch next to me until it started vibrating like mad).

I'll have to try that again tomorrow at full tilt.

Search the thread. The updating process has being discussed already.
post #731 of 4059 Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I just picked up the last open-box 390 at J&R for less than $100. So if you've been looking for one, may want to keep an eye out for more of those at J&R.
post #732 of 4059 Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Search the thread. The updating process has being discussed already.

Thread searched.

Saw lots of discussions of if you should, what features they have, what they fix, what they break, what they do, what they don't do, metaphysical repercussions thereof, etc... All stuff I'd read before purchasing the unit.

I saw nothing discussing hung updates. I may have missed it, but I did a keyword scan on every post in the thread.

At any rate, it was fairly obvious from checking the port usage on the switch and bandwidth usage from the router that the thing wasn't talking. When the thing booted up it pulled DHCP immediately and saw the patch. I don't like to let infrastructure type network devices sit on DHCP, so I gave it it's hard IP that the previous player had, then went in and told it to update. Mayhap some logic within the update process got into a schitzo "there's an update, but the network went away, but the network's here, but oh noes I confused". Doesn't matter. It wasn't talking, and once I took it's physical network away it figured it out and shut off. Once back up, with the hard IP from boot it saw the update availability and started pulling it down in what I presume is a normal fashion.

How many folks are going to worry about messing with a hard IP on one of these? Can't speak to that. But if anyone does, my suggestion would be to bounce the chassis one more time after changing IP's before updating firmware.

It's a pretty specific combination of events, and will probably only happen that one magical time someone's first hooking up the chassis, but there it is.
post #733 of 4059 Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thread searched.

Saw lots of discussions of if you should, what features they have, what they fix, what they break, what they do, what they don't do, metaphysical repercussions thereof, etc... All stuff I'd read before purchasing the unit.

I saw nothing discussing hung updates. I may have missed it, but I did a keyword scan on every post in the thread.

At any rate, it was fairly obvious from checking the port usage on the switch and bandwidth usage from the router that the thing wasn't talking. When the thing booted up it pulled DHCP immediately and saw the patch. I don't like to let infrastructure type network devices sit on DHCP, so I gave it it's hard IP that the previous player had, then went in and told it to update. Mayhap some logic within the update process got into a schitzo "there's an update, but the network went away, but the network's here, but oh noes I confused". Doesn't matter. It wasn't talking, and once I took it's physical network away it figured it out and shut off. Once back up, with the hard IP from boot it saw the update availability and started pulling it down in what I presume is a normal fashion.

How many folks are going to worry about messing with a hard IP on one of these? Can't speak to that. But if anyone does, my suggestion would be to bounce the chassis one more time after changing IP's before updating firmware.

It's a pretty specific combination of events, and will probably only happen that one magical time someone's first hooking up the chassis, but there it is.

Post 563 talks about the update, and the fact that it stalls on 1/9 for a while, and then the remaining completes in a blink of an eye. The player then shuts down. The manual doesn't explain this and can catch people out.

I've assigned a static IP address to the players, and not ran into any issues with it loosing connection (as of yet).
post #734 of 4059 Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM

Understood. I swear, I sat at my desk today and ran keyword scans of the whole thread again. Sometimes things are just not mine to detect I suppose. No harm, no foul I hope.

At any rate, I've put the thing through its paces tonight on BD, DVD, Amazon, NPR and Pandora. This thing beats the everloving pants off my old Samsung. The interface is quite snappy, I can switch into and out of different apps quickly, and the image and sound quality is solid.
post #735 of 4059 Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

See this post.

Quote:

590 also has optical audio out. I added everything to post #1 for easy reference in future.

Thank you!
post #736 of 4059 Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM

So......I am the previous owner of a Panny 220 (Which I loved the pq on) but returned it due to audio sync issues with netflix (hard wired 12Meg dsl). I read so many raves of the Sony S590 that I had to bite and I received it yesterday. To my extreme embarrassment I discovered the same audio sync problems on the sony but only on the same specific show episodes that I had problems with on the panny. SO I can only speculate that the problem lies in Netflix's encoding of those specific HD episodes. Seems too much a coincidence to be anything else but who knows? I had thought it was the Panny because of other similar forum complaints with the 220 and due to the fact the same episodes streamed fine to my wii, not thinking about the fact that it would be an entire different encode being a standard def stream to the wii (right?). Anyway, I gotta say that I'm sorta stumped about this Sony. The PQ just doesn't dazzle the way the Panny did. The blacks are fairly muddy and colors seem a tad oversaturated (even with deepcolor turned off). I tried to dial in the blacks through the tv but I can't get them to not just smear out detail without turning the blacks gray. I had experienced this with a standard rca connection from my old dvd player but this was totally fixed when I hooked the panny up via hdmi. Night scenes on same non-blu-ray DVD's look noisier on the Sony. Anyone else experience anything like this? Also I experienced several "bad disc" rejections of my CD-R's with the slightest wear on them that the panny and xbox etc all played fine. My TV is on old school CRT sony Widescreen 1080i. I have not yet tried a bluray disc but I would hope sd DVD's would look better than this. I definitely want to spend the next week getting used to the sony and may feel differently by the end of it but wondered if you had any tips or similar experiences. Thanks!
post #737 of 4059 Old 04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Searched the thread and didn't see any mention of how this unit handles 2d-3d conversion. I had a Samsung 6700 that did a decent job, and I've heard that Panasonics don't really do well with it. How's the Sony?

Also impressed this plays SACD, i have a decent collection of discs but lost the ability to play them when I switched to a slim PS3.

I'm probably picking one of these up tomorrow, but was curious about the 2d-3d conversion either way.
post #738 of 4059 Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern9 View Post

So......I am the previous owner of a Panny 220 (Which I loved the pq on) but returned it due to audio sync issues with netflix (hard wired 12Meg dsl). I read so many raves of the Sony S590 that I had to bite and I received it yesterday. To my extreme embarrassment I discovered the same audio sync problems on the sony but only on the same specific show episodes that I had problems with on the panny. SO I can only speculate that the problem lies in Netflix's encoding of those specific HD episodes. Seems too much a coincidence to be anything else but who knows? I had thought it was the Panny because of other similar forum complaints with the 220 and due to the fact the same episodes streamed fine to my wii, not thinking about the fact that it would be an entire different encode being a standard def stream to the wii (right?). Anyway, I gotta say that I'm sorta stumped about this Sony. The PQ just doesn't dazzle the way the Panny did. The blacks are fairly muddy and colors seem a tad oversaturated (even with deepcolor turned off). I tried to dial in the blacks through the tv but I can't get them to not just smear out detail without turning the blacks gray. I had experienced this with a standard rca connection from my old dvd player but this was totally fixed when I hooked the panny up via hdmi. Night scenes on same non-blu-ray DVD's look noisier on the Sony. Anyone else experience anything like this? Also I experienced several "bad disc" rejections of my CD-R's with the slightest wear on them that the panny and xbox etc all played fine. My TV is on old school CRT sony Widescreen 1080i. I have not yet tried a bluray disc but I would hope sd DVD's would look better than this. I definitely want to spend the next week getting used to the sony and may feel differently by the end of it but wondered if you had any tips or similar experiences. Thanks!

What shows we're causing you issues. Let's see if we can replicate it.

There are a number of video settings that you can adjust during DVD playback by hitting options. Perhaps do some experimenting. Everything is turned off by default.
post #739 of 4059 Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 AM

Hello- I have the Sony 590 BD player hooked up to a Yamaha 3900 AV Rcvr and have selected the bitstream in the Dolby Digital/DTS audio setup area and all that shows up on my Yamaha Rcvr is PCM. I have reset everything and still no change. My old Pioneer BR player 051 does work. Also the Sony 590 does state the correct audio sorce when you hit display.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Am I missing anything.

Movies tried- Iron Man, War Horse and Inception

Thanks
post #740 of 4059 Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi55 View Post

Hello- I have the Sony 590 BD player hooked up to a Yamaha 3900 AV Rcvr and have selected the bitstream in the Dolby Digital/DTS audio setup area and all that shows up on my Yamaha Rcvr is PCM. I have reset everything and still no change. My old Pioneer BR player 051 does work. Also the Sony 590 does state the correct audio sorce when you hit display.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Am I missing anything.

Movies tried- Iron Man, War Horse and Inception

Thanks

Turn off bd audio mix.
post #741 of 4059 Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 AM

Liked: 23
Yesterday, I bought a Sony 580 3D Blu-Ray Player on Clearance from Walmart. I would have preferred the Sony 590 or Panasonic 220. How is the 3D-2D conversion of DVDs and Blu-Ray discs on the Sony 590? Is it better or worse than the Panasonic 220?
post #742 of 4059 Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Turn off bd audio mix.

Thank You Very Much! this did the trick- Is there a preferred setting for:

DTS Neo:6: I have off

Downmix: I have on surrond

Audio DRC: I have Auto
post #743 of 4059 Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi55 View Post

Thank You Very Much! this did the trick- Is there a preferred setting for:

DTS Neo:6: I have off

Downmix: I have on surrond

Audio DRC: I have Auto

Have a look on post 1 for settings.
post #744 of 4059 Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

I am looking for a streaming Blu-ray player that has streaming via either wifi or ethernet. It looks like the Sony BDP-390 might be the definitive choice for me. I will be looking through these threads before I buy. Is there anything I should know right away. Is this generally a good device?
post #745 of 4059 Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I was somewhat disappointed that the 590 does not play 24/96 stereo DAD format CDs. Its HDMI output is silent when one of them is "playing". I thought that being able to play them was part of the original DVD spec, not HD DVD. The 590 does play multichannel DTS CDs and passes through HDCD PCM, though.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #746 of 4059 Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

Yesterday, I bought a Sony 580 3D Blu-Ray Player on Clearance from Walmart. I would have preferred the Sony 590 or Panasonic 220. How is the 3D-2D conversion of DVDs and Blu-Ray discs on the Sony 590? Is it better or worse than the Panasonic 220?

i'm also very curious about the 590's ability to convert 2d to 3d. The Samsung 6700 was supposedly much better than the Panny, but the novelty wore off for me pretty fast !!!
post #747 of 4059 Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Bought the 590 yesterday, got it home went through set up, updated firmware and then went to insert a disc--the drawer won't open. Rebooted several times and tried again, guess this one was just DOA. Hopefully will get a chance to swap it out today.
post #748 of 4059 Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

i'm also very curious about the 590's ability to convert 2d to 3d. The Samsung 6700 was supposedly much better than the Panny, but the novelty wore off for me pretty fast !!!

You might want to have a read of the S790 official thread. Joerod is quite active over there, and has done some extensive 3D testing (with 2d material too). He has owned a S590 as well ... so might be able to give you some pointers. I'm afraid I'm not 3d enabled !
post #749 of 4059 Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I am looking for a streaming Blu-ray player that has streaming via either wifi or ethernet. It looks like the Sony BDP-390 might be the definitive choice for me. I will be looking through these threads before I buy. Is there anything I should know right away. Is this generally a good device?

I think so. I think most here would agree they are happy with the player (there's a few folks that have received a dud, or something went wrong during a firmware update). I think the consensus is, that for the money this is a great "all rounder". Great streaming + disk playback.

However, if you're not a fan of the Sony interface (XBM), or you are after a specific streaming service that the Sony doesn't support, or you are after some specific need or use case, then you might want to post it here first before you buy and we can try and help you.
post #750 of 4059 Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerdms View Post

Bought the 590 yesterday, got it home went through set up, updated firmware and then went to insert a disc--the drawer won't open. Rebooted several times and tried again, guess this one was just DOA. Hopefully will get a chance to swap it out today.

Yup, sounds like a dud. I think someone else had this problem where the drawer would not open ... think they just replaced it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page