Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread
slimm's Avatar slimm 07:30 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

Thanks, I have a hardwired i-mac and all the recommended operating systems for download on the support page are for windows.

Try this link. Clicking on "Drivers and Software should allow you to select Mac OS.

scrope's Avatar scrope 07:41 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

URL].

FWIW, a decent wifi router like THIS can be had for less than $20. It's well worth it considering all the great free streaming content you get, not to mention effortless updates.

Good point, but I'm not sure about the effortless updates. My a/v equipment is in a different room about thirty feet away. Sure seems like a lot of people are having streaming problems with this and other bd players. Not sure I'd be up for the aggravation. I have no other wireless devices, so unlike other posters I wouldn't know if it was the wireless or the player causing any potential problems.
scrope's Avatar scrope 07:58 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

Try this link. Clicking on "Drivers and Software should allow you to select Mac OS.

Thanks slimm, that seems to be the answer. Details listed don't mention anything about updates for newer blu-ray discs. Not sure if this would be mentioned in update details. I'm just concerned about future discs not playing due to not having current firmware. I also wonder how long Sony updates their individual bd players. Will the firmware updates continue for years?

The update does include cinavia.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 08:24 PM 04-26-2012
No need to update unless you are having issues. Typically updates stop after about 2 years.

I have no problem with wifi for at least 40 ft through a floor and a couple of walls.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 08:37 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post


I think Sony will mail you a disc if you ask.

Goto the s590 link I provide on post 1. Mac will be listed on the main support site for the 590
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 08:43 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Where are you guys buying 790s? I checked cnet they said shall come out in may while Sony store told me earlier in April. Is Sony throwing any 3D discs with 790?

J&R, Sony store online. Sony rewards store online and abes of Maine all have the 790.

Only the uk get Harry potter 3d disks. USA get nothing. Although the uk are paying 1.6 times more for the player than the USA.
sacflies's Avatar sacflies 11:30 PM 04-26-2012
I just turned my 590 on for the first time in several days and none of the functions worked. I couldn't scroll thru the menu. I was able to power it off but the display has been flashing "off" for 20 minutes now. Gonna have to find the plug on the power strip and put it out of its misery. Has anyone else seen this? I guess it has just frozen up on me, and I have read a few posts here where others have said their players froze up.

Still flashing "off".

Edit: Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Seems OK now. That's the first time I have seen that.

Still can't get over how light and cheaply made this player is. This is probably the lightest player of any kind I have ever owned. It's been said a gazillion times...they don't make 'em the way they used to.
Hi_Def_Boss's Avatar Hi_Def_Boss 11:48 PM 04-26-2012
That's true for most everything: bookshelves and everything else that used to be made of solid wood are now made of particleboard; honda civics used to have the build quality of fort knox, now they are cheesy, cheap, plasticky cars; cold forged cranks on bicycles used to show up on $800 bikes 20 years ago; now they're only found on $3K bikes; the list goes on and on.
Johan81's Avatar Johan81 02:45 AM 04-27-2012
If we are talking about amplifiers, I agree that low weight might be an indicator of bad quality because of spools and passive cooling.
In case of Blu-ray players I do not think this flies. It is purely electronics and no amplifiers. Why should it be heavy? The only heavy part is the Blu-ray drive, which doesn't have to be that heavy if you ask me.
Can anyone tell me why a Blu-ray player is of lesser quality when it is light?
Johan81's Avatar Johan81 05:43 AM 04-27-2012
Just got my 490 in, and I am not happy about one (for me very important) feature that they left out. My LG player even supports this, Sony's own PS3 supports this, but not this player.
When converting a MKV file with a non standard ratio (like 1920*800) to AVCHD it stretches it out to 1920*1080. The only solution is to uncrop it (which degrades the quality of the video and takes LONG).

Otherwise I think this machine is great, but this is a big let down for me, I assumed this would have changed with the latest models. I will contact Sony about this, but I fear the worst. Problem here in the Netherlands is that returns aren't as easy as in the US.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 06:35 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post

Just got my 490 in, and I am not happy about one (for me very important) feature that they left out. My LG player even supports this, Sony's own PS3 supports this, but not this player.
When converting a MKV file with a non standard ratio (like 1920*800) to AVCHD it stretches it out to 1920*1080. The only solution is to uncrop it (which degrades the quality of the video and takes LONG).

Otherwise I think this machine is great, but this is a big let down for me, I assumed this would have changed with the latest models. I will contact Sony about this, but I fear the worst. Problem here in the Netherlands is that returns aren't as easy as in the US.

Have you tried changing the screen format in screen settings? Also install the latest firmware. Sony made some changes.
Johan81's Avatar Johan81 07:08 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Have you tried changing the screen format in screen settings? Also install the latest firmware. Sony made some changes.

Yeah, I tried that, 4:3 does make it slightly better, but that is a weird and abnormal way trying to solve it, which it doesn't, as I also have some 1920*1040 AVCHD discs.
Good thing is that Sony already contacted me and escalated my problem to a higher tier. So, that is a good thing.

I also saw I can bring it back within 14 days, wasn't aware of that before, so, if the correspondence with Sony doesn't give me a solution within that time frame, I am returning it.

EDIT:
To add to it, it doesn't play MKV's at 24p (it does play those mkv's at 24p when converted to AVCHD), while other players do. So, I think this will be a return to be honest. A shame, as it is a nice player in all other aspects.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 08:04 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post


Yeah, I tried that, 4:3 does make it slightly better, but that is a weird and abnormal way trying to solve it, which it doesn't, as I also have some 1920*1040 AVCHD discs.
Good thing is that Sony already contacted me and escalated my problem to a higher tier. So, that is a good thing.

I also saw I can bring it back within 14 days, wasn't aware of that before, so, if the correspondence with Sony doesn't give me a solution within that time frame, I am returning it.

EDIT:
To add to it, it doesn't play MKV's at 24p (it does play those mkv's at 24p when converted to AVCHD), while other players do. So, I think this will be a return to be honest. A shame, as it is a nice player in all other aspects.

What other players play mkv mpeg 4 avc at 24p ?
Jim1348's Avatar Jim1348 09:07 AM 04-27-2012
http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-play...carouselMain.0

The good: The Sony BDP-S590 has built-in Wi-Fi, 3D compatibility, and an ample suite of streaming-media services, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, Pandora, and Vudu. It's also the sleekest Blu-ray player I've seen this year, with a well-designed remote that includes a dedicated Netflix button. The BDP-S590 is also one of the better players for playing back digital media files like MKV, DivX, and Xvid.

The bad: Sony's user interface isn't as intuitive as those from some competitors, especially the interfaces for Amazon Instant and Hulu Plus. It's also relatively slow at loading discs, taking almost twice as long as some competitors.

The bottom line: The Sony BDP-S590 is a great-looking Blu-ray player with built-in Wi-Fi, 3D compatibility, and tons of streaming-media apps, but it's slow to load discs and has some user interface quirks.

No matter how you feel about Sony, it's hard to deny that the company has a knack for product design. The Sony BDP-S590 ($140 street price) falls right in line with that tradition, as it's the only Blu-ray player I've seen this year that actually looks attractive, while most competitors are little more than a utilitarian black box. And the BDP-S590 isn't all just for show, with a healthy set of features including built-in Wi-Fi, 3D compatibility, and a suite of streaming apps that includes Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, Pandora, and Vudu.

Its flaws only become apparent after you move past its fancy looks and spec sheet. It's relatively slow to load discs (sometimes nearly twice as slow as competitors) and its user interface still lags behind the competition, especially for Amazon Instant and Hulu Plus. On the other hand, it is better than most players at playing back digital video files, like MKV and DivX. The Sony BDP-S590 wouldn't be my first choice for a Blu-ray player (that would be the Panasonic DMP-BDT220), but it definitely has its charms, especially its sleek look and its facility with digital video files.

Design: Finally, a handsome Blu-ray player
Sony may be the only company that still cares about how its Blu-ray players look. The top of the player has an attractive textured look, and the case tapers down toward the bottom, avoiding the typical "black box" look that most players have. There's a standard disc-tray on the left, with the front-panel display, buttons, and USB port on the right. If you care about how your Blu-ray player looks in your home theater cabinet, the BDP-S590 is your best bet.

Sony BDP-S590
It's a rarity in 2012: a Blu-ray player that actually looks good.

The remote is a good one, too. It's a simple design, with a centrally located directional pad and playback buttons underneath. Even better are dedicated buttons for both Netflix and Sony Entertainment Network, the latter being Sony's portal of its streaming-media services. Like most Blu-ray players these days, you can control it with a smartphone app, but it's not that useful since the normal remote (or a quality universal remote) works better.

User interface: A tale of two interfaces
At first glance, the BDP-S590's user interface looks a lot like the one on last year's BDP-S580, which had a lot of shortcomings. Thankfully Sony has made some significant improvements; the main user interface still uses the XMB-inspired layout, but the Netflix app no longer uses Sony's subpar proprietary interface.

Sony BDP-S590's main user interface
The BDP-S590 uses Sony's traditional XMB-style user interface.

Sony BDP-S590's Netflix interface
Sony's Netflix interface finally looks the same as on other Blu-ray players.

Even with the improvements, though, Sony's Blu-ray interface still feels a step behind competitors. The XMB layout isn't a great choice for organizing all the streaming-video services, which just appear in a long list where you can only view a few options at a time. And while the Netflix interface has been updated, Hulu Plus and Amazon both use Sony-specific layouts that don't maximize screen real estate. That's a shame when Sony's other Blu-ray player, the PS3, has a new, excellent Amazon Instant interface. On the upside, Sony is unique among all Blu-ray players in letting you access most streaming-media services right from the main menu, without needing to access another interface, like Panasonic's Viera Connect or Samsung's Smart Hub.

Sony BDP-S590's Sony Entertainment Network user interface
The Sony Entertainment Network portal gives you a different way to view the streaming-media services.

Confusingly, Sony does actually have its own streaming-media interface, Sony Entertainment Network, which is essentially another way to view the company's streaming-media offerings, along with content from Sony's Content stores (Sony Video Unlimited and Sony Music Unlimited). It's actually a more straightforward layout for streaming-media content, although I have a feeling most people will never find it, since it sounds more like a grouping of Sony's services, rather than all of the apps available on the player. And if I owned the BDP-S590, I'd probably always sift through the XMB interface, rather than waiting for another screen to load.

In the end, the BDP-S590's interface won't bother techies, but it might not be a great choice for the less technically inclined. And if you're considering the BDP-S590 because you want Amazon Instant or Hulu Plus access, I'd definitely consider a competitor with a better interface.

Features: Loaded with apps
The Sony BDP-S590 has all of the major features covered: built-in Wi-Fi, 3D Blu-ray support, and a full suite of streaming-media services.

Sony BDP-S590's streaming-media services

Sony's selection of apps is but there are some surprising omissions. On the video side, the BDP-S590 has all of the major services, including Amazon Instant and Hulu Plus, but surprisingly there's no MLB.TV support, which is available on all of its major competitors. Similarly, while there's support for Pandora, Slacker, and Facebook, it's missing an Internet radio app (like vTuner) or a photo-sharing app like Picasa or Flickr. On the flipside, Sony supports quite a few worthwhile niche services that nobody else has, like Crackle, Moshcam, NPR, and Berliner Philharmoniker. (As well as tons of less worthwhile niche services, like SingingFool, NewsLook, and uStudio.)
Johan81's Avatar Johan81 10:09 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

What other players play mkv mpeg 4 avc at 24p ?

LG BD550, working great for that, but had that one for downstairs, now am gonna keep my Sony BDP-S550 for downstairs and use a mediaplayer for downstairs, don't need DTS-HD MA or TrueHD there. Problem solved.
sacflies's Avatar sacflies 10:21 AM 04-27-2012
I'm surprised Sony hasn't added MLB.TV yet. But there hasn't even been any updates in several weeks. Isn't this a bit unusual for a new player?
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 11:26 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:

REPOST.

You also provide a link. That's good enough. You don't need to copy and paste the entire review into the body of your post.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 11:27 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

I'm surprised Sony hasn't added MLB.TV yet. But there hasn't even been any updates in several weeks. Isn't this a bit unusual for a new player?

They added break.com a few days ago to videos and added some new games in the opera browser store area.
sacflies's Avatar sacflies 12:25 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

They added break.com a few days ago to videos and added some new games in the opera browser store area.

Hmmm...my player hasn't seen an update in several weeks. What is the latest software version on your player?
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 02:21 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post


Hmmm...my player hasn't seen an update in several weeks. What is the latest software version on your player?

All these updates happened without the need to push a new firmware update out.
sacflies's Avatar sacflies 06:28 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

All these updates happened without the need to push a new firmware update out.

OK, thanks. So these are auto downloads that doesn't involve an action by the user?
roscoejackson's Avatar roscoejackson 06:50 PM 04-27-2012
Just picked up a bx59 from Costco today and returned my bx58 and have a few questions...


1) On the bx58, there was IP content noise setting in Netflix. I do not see this setting for the bx59. In fact, pressing the Options button while watching Netflix does nothing. I only see the setting on other apps such as YouTube. I turned IP noise filter off in YouTube, but on Netflix it seems like SD content looks a bit soft, as if it is on.

2) I'm getting AV sync issues on some Netflix movies. On Religulous (5.1), it is unwatchable.

3) during the software update, I accidentally turned the unit off. It had only been going for a couple minutes and said it was on step 1/9... System info says that it was indeed updated (320) and that I have the latest software, but I'm worried that it didn't actually complete.any suggestions?
Smackrabbit's Avatar Smackrabbit 06:59 PM 04-27-2012
I got the BDP-S590 in for review this week and ran it through the bench today. With Standard picture mode (the others are awful and you shouldn't use them), if you set the output to YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 it's perfect, but if you select RGB something is wrong and it's far brighter than it should be. So, don't use that mode, or Auto, for the best picture. I'm trying to find out what is causing this and if they can fix it.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 07:18 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoejackson View Post

Just picked up a bx59 from Costco today and returned my bx58 and have a few questions...

1) On the bx58, there was IP content noise setting in Netflix. I do not see this setting for the bx59. In fact, pressing the Options button while watching Netflix does nothing. I only see the setting on other apps such as YouTube. I turned IP noise filter off in YouTube, but on Netflix it seems like SD content looks a bit soft, as if it is on.

2) I'm getting AV sync issues on some Netflix movies. On Religulous (5.1), it is unwatchable.

3) during the software update, I accidentally turned the unit off. It had only been going for a couple minutes and said it was on step 1/9... System info says that it was indeed updated (320) and that I have the latest software, but I'm worried that it didn't actually complete.any suggestions?

1) no longer supported on the 590 since its using the Netflix playback engine

2) some have reported issues with some Netflix titles. It's like this for all Netflix clients and not a issue with the 590. A Netflix issue

3) see post 1) of this thread
roscoejackson's Avatar roscoejackson 08:07 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

1) no longer supported on the 590 since its using the Netflix playback engine

2) some have reported issues with some Netflix titles. It's like this for all Netflix clients and not a issue with the 590. A Netflix issue

3) see post 1) of this thread


Thanks for the reply. Re: 3), i dont see answer to my question in the first post of this thread. I understand that people have had issues with the update taking awhile. But my problen was that i MANUALLY turned off the player after only 1 or 2 minutes of the update running.
roscoejackson's Avatar roscoejackson 08:09 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I got the BDP-S590 in for review this week and ran it through the bench today. With Standard picture mode (the others are awful and you shouldn't use them), if you set the output to YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 it's perfect, but if you select RGB something is wrong and it's far brighter than it should be. So, don't use that mode, or Auto, for the best picture. I'm trying to find out what is causing this and if they can fix it.


Which setting should i be using: 4:4:4 or 4:2:2? I have a standard CCFL LCD and this setting currently at AUTO.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 08:23 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoejackson View Post


Thanks for the reply. Re: 3), i dont see answer to my question in the first post of this thread. I understand that people have had issues with the update taking awhile. But my problen was that i MANUALLY turned off the player after only 1 or 2 minutes of the update running.

If it says it's updated, then it's fine
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 08:24 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoejackson View Post


Which setting should i be using: 4:4:4 or 4:2:2? I have a standard CCFL LCD and this setting currently at AUTO.

Leave it on auto. It will determine the right setting based on info back from the display.
roscoejackson's Avatar roscoejackson 08:49 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Leave it on auto. It will determine the right setting based on info back from the display.

So you don't find the info in post 833 to be true for your tv?
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 09:06 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoejackson View Post

So you don't find the info in post 833 to be true for your tv?

We should definitely follow Chris's advice on the color space setting and follow his progress on the Auto issue. Few of us have the eye or equipment to do what he's doing. Try Auto and 4:2:2 yourself and see if you can tell any difference. IIRC, 4:2:2 is what's natively on discs. Theoretically Auto should work, but according to Chris there is a problem with it.
Tags: Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop