AVS Forum banner
625K views 4K replies 602 participants last post by  TimA 
#1 ·

Do you have a issue with HD audio from these players? DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD not showing up on your receiver?

See the following posts within this thread.

See posts #193, #203, #204, #499, and #740.

590 features over 390.

1. 3D support

2. Additional rear USB port

3. Optical audio output

4. Front display

5. Standard width

Comparison (courtesy of Amazon):

DLNA and USB update with the S590/S390/S790

NTFS formatted USB drive fully supported.

Sony will play the following formats NATIVELY over DLNA.

Video:

Container: MKV. Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: M2TS Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, VC-1, Mpeg2. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: VOB Video codec:Mpeg 2. Audio codec: LPCM, Dolby Digital

Container: m4v mp4 Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, XVID. Audio Codec: AAC

Audio:

Mp3, AAC

Tested with

Mac:

Playback DLNA server (Yazsoft)

Serviio and  Homestream

PLAYBACK DLNA from Yazsoft

For the best iLife integration with iTunes and iPhoto, Playback DLNA server is superb !!

Get Playback Here > http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

Serviio/Homestream work with Windows, Mac and Linux

Sony has its own re-branded version of Serviio called HomeStream. You can download it here .

Use the BRAVIA profile. Don't use the default BD player profile, as Sony made some changes during a recent firmware update !

Serviio users, use the "Bravia 2012 - US" profile for best compatibility and minimum transcoding or remuxing. You can decide if you enable transcoding or not on the server. See files supported above.

Basically, if you have a bunch of MKVs using the VC-1 or Mpeg2 codecs and don't want to remux with TSMuxer, then you will need to enable transcoding on Serviio or Homestream to playback the files.

A note about MKVs. You may find FF/REW will not work very well with the player. M2TS containers work fine, but then dont support chapter markers ... so there are trade-offs.

Support Info

Sony has added the S590 (and S390) to their USA support pages. Available here .

Useful Settings

During playback of BD or DVD

Picture Quality : Normal (standard mode. Avoid using the others)

BNR: Off

MNR: Off

During Internet video playback

IP Content Noise Reduction: Off

Screen Settings:

All defaults other than:

Screen Format: Actually toggle this one back and forth between Full and Normal depending on if I want 4:3 content to be stretched across 16:9. This setting only effects DVD. Streaming content is not effected (with latest firmware).

** Ensure you download the latest firmware that addresses an issue with YCbCr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB colorspaces **

The firmware may also introduce a problem playing back some files with DLNA. If you are using Serviio or HomeShare, refer to the following post with a fix:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/1560#post_22244982

Audio settings:

DSD Output mode: DSD (note, you can only do this if you're receiver can decode DSD directly

BD Audio Mix: Off (Allows for high-resolution audio bitstream from player)

Audio DRC: Off (Hate compression generally)

Downmix: Surround (if you're receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic / II or DTS Neo, etc)

A note about 24p

There are now two settings for 24p output.

By default they are

BD-ROM 24p output: On

DVD-ROM 24p output: Off

and I left them like that. Many DVDs are not 24p compatible, and with DVD generally a last resort, can't be bothered to keep toggling this one.

SEN Portal:

Read this post within the thread: here

See less See more
#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21755990

It shipped out in a day or so. They used FedEx for shipping. Two day I think. Was impressed.

Thus far I am not too favorably impressed. They haven't shipped yet (it's only been a single business day, but Amazon would have) and they put a hold on the cash before shipping, a practice which I've always disliked.

I shouldn't be in a hurry but at this point I'm a bit anxious to see it.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21767978

Amazon and B&H Now have the S390 available to buy here (Amazon) and here (B&H) . Single USB slot, no front display, and no 3D support. Otherwise its the same as the S590.

I almost ordered this--I just called Sony Rewards and tried to cancel, but my order had moved into "Processing" state and might no longer have been cancellable so I decided not to try. It would have pretty surely come on Wednesday or Thursday and I would have saved $31. Oh well.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies /forum/post/21770433

Amazon is selling the 390 at full list price. What's up with that?

You find this to be unusual for a brand new product that's only been shipping to a limited number of retailers/e-tailers for a couple of weeks?

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21770563

You find this to be unusual for a brand new product that's only been shipping to a limited number of retailers/e-tailers for a couple of weeks?

Well, Amazon isn't selling the new Panasonic players at list. I suppose it is because the Sony's aren't in stock yet. Amazon says the 390 will ship in 2 - 5 weeks, so I guess that is a pre-order as well. But Amazon usually offers a discount off list for pre-orders as well.

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies /forum/post/21771092

Well, Amazon isn't selling the new Panasonic players at list. I suppose it is because the Sony's aren't in stock yet. Amazon says the 390 will ship in 2 - 5 weeks, so I guess that is a pre-order as well. But Amazon usually offers a discount off list for pre-orders as well.

Amazon was selling the BDT220 at full price a few weeks ago when I bought mine. The sellers who have these in stock have little to no competition--wait a month or so and everyone will have them.

#71 ·
Updated firmware posted today (03-13-12) for both the S590 and S390. Get you Cinavia hat's on folks. This is interesting, as it looks like if you buy a model today, it doubtful it would have Cinavia

This utility updates the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M12.R.0211 (S590) M11.R.0211 (S390) and improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity.

Note: This update includes Cinavia™ content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at the Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center at: http://www.cinavia.com .

I'll report back if there are any drastic changes.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21772539

Updated firmware posted today (03-13-12) for both the S590 and S390. Get you Cinavia hat's on folks. This is interesting, as it looks like if you buy a model today, it doubtful it would have Cinavia

This utility updates the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M12.R.0211 (S590) M11.R.0211 (S390) and improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity.

Note: This update includes Cinavia content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at the Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center at: http://www.cinavia.com .

I'll report back if there are any drastic changes.

That sux. May have to steer clear of the Sony's then. Anyone know if Panasonic players have cinavia...last year's or this year's models?

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies /forum/post/0

That sux. May have to steer clear of the Sony's then. Anyone know if Panasonic players have cinavia...last year's or this year's models?

They might not at the time you buy it but it will most likely be installed during a subsequent firmware upgrade. As with the Sony's; most retail models at the moment most likely do not have cinavia preinstalled. It will however be installed during the firmware upgrade.

#75 ·
I agree, they need a new ES model. Sure hope these new players are quieter than my S780 I picked up about a month ago. IMHO the drives are to noisy. In my bedroom it's very easy to hear! I've heard a few of the 580 models and they seem about the same. I picked up a Panasonic 320 the other day to compare and the 320 is much quieter and sounds about what I would think it should sound like. Sometimes the Sony sounds like a mini jet engine, depending on the disc. High pitched sound definitely coming from the drive. The 320 may be going back, not sure I care for the touch panel remote and not sure about there interface either!

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies /forum/post/21774294

It's mentioned in the back of the manual. Unless they added it without saying anything, even in the firmware upgrade release notes , it's not in last year's Panasonic models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.