Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 390 is going back to BestBuy for an exchange. The disk player is schizophrenic. It will frequently say the disk is bad, until I load it a couple of times, then it's perfect. Also freezes around the 2/3 point, requiring me to nudge it forward for it to continue playing. This happened on two different disks at virtually the same point.

Just a data point for to see if others are having problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

So basicly the only difference between the the 390 and 590 is the 590 is a 3D player and the 390 a "regular" Blu Ray player?? On the fence between the Sony models listed above and the Panny 320.Jeff

I have both a Sony S770 and the DMP-320. Believe me, you are not going to notice a difference between PQ/AQ. I like the Sony players better overall, but I really like the slot loading drive on the new Panny. IMO this system is better than tray loading. However, If you don't care about the slot loading drive, then I think you'll be happy with a Sony, they make nice machines.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc4 View Post

My 390 is going back to BestBuy for an exchange. The disk player is schizophrenic. It will frequently say the disk is bad, until I load it a couple of times, then it's perfect. Also freezes around the 2/3 point, requiring me to nudge it forward for it to continue playing. This happened on two different disks at virtually the same point.

Just a data point for to see if others are having problems.

What disks were they ? I've only played 6 or so movie disks but not had any issues yet.

We're they bd live disks? Is bd live enabled on the player?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 AM

I don't think it matters. I have had one issue or another for all four that I have played. Known good disks, too.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 AM

can you add tv/movie art on the 390/590 like on the WD Live players?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran75 View Post

can you add tv/movie art on the 390/590 like on the WD Live players?

I don't think so. You're talking about content provided by a DLNA server?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc4 View Post

I don't think it matters. I have had one issue or another for all four that I have played. Known good disks, too.

Interesting. Did you install the latest firmware? Are you replacing with a another one, or going to a different player?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I don't think so. You're talking about content provided by a DLNA server?

thanks, yeah it would be coming from NAS drive
Be nice to be able to scroll through list of images rather than list of MKV names, friend was telling me about his new WDLive

Quote:

DLNA and USB update with the S590:

NTFS formatted USB drive fully supported.

Tested a 30.9GB MKV (1080p/25 33.27Mbit/s MKV (H264) with DTS-High Resolution audio) and played perfectly.

Then tried the same MKV file using the DLNA Media Server: Serviio 0.6.2 on my iMac (free download), and the file also played back perfectly. No trans coding. Native !!

Did you try any MKV files with DTS-MA soundtrack?

I've a large selection of 30+GB lossless bluray backups in MKV with DTS-MA so this would be main purpose.

Trying to decide between this and the Panny 220
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The 390 is smaller, 12 5/8" wide versus the 590's standard 17" width. The 390 has one USB connection versus the 590's two and the 390 does not have an external LCD display. On the other hand, the 590's list price is only $20 more and the additional features seems pretty inexpensive at that price.

And, of course, the 590 has an extra digital audio out (TOSLINK) in addition to the 390's coaxial digital out. May be of value for you, depending on your system.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:

I've a large selection of 30+GB lossless bluray backups in MKV with DTS-MA so this would be main purpose.

Just be aware that only AVC (h.264) videos, as you describe above, will actually playback. VC-1 Blu-Ray backups will not play on the Sony players. This was the case with the 580 and looking at the manual for the x90 it seems to still be true. You will be surprised how many BD backups you will not be able to play.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Joint thread on S590 and S390.

What do we know about the S590/S390:
  • New User interface, allowing extended customization (favorites, my music, my video ..)
  • Standard Netflix UI. 1080p Streaming and Dolby Digital Plus (bitstream)
  • Amazon VOD with Dolby Digital (bitstream)
  • VUDU (with HDX 1080p/DD+[bitstream]) and Hulu+ as 2011 players

The subset of the list above was enough for me to seriously consider upgrading from my 580 - nice additions to the feature set, although the 580 does seem to output DD 5.1 with Amazon with a recent F/W update.

However, I went looked at them at BestBuy, yesterday afternoon, and I am not liking look and feel of the 590 - very cheap and plastic looking.

Believe it or not, the 580 looks like audiophile gear in comparison to the 590, and I was / am not in love with the look of the 580 when I purchased it.

I wonder if there will be a 790 with yet another look apart from the 390 and 590?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks, yeah it would be coming from NAS drive
Be nice to be able to scroll through list of images rather than list of MKV names, friend was telling me about his new WDLive

Trying to decide between this and the Panny 220

The MKV I had the following DTS audio info:

General / Container Stream #1
Total Video Streams for this File.................1
Total Audio Streams for this File.................3
Video Codecs Used.................................AVC
Audio Codecs Used.................................DTS-HD / DTS / PCM
File Format.......................................Matroska
Play Time.........................................2h 19mn
Total File Size...................................32.4 GiB
Total Stream BitRate..............................33.2 Mbps

Audio Stream #1
Codec.............................................DTS
Codec (FourCC)....................................A_DTS
Audio Stream Length...............................2h 19mn 50s 5ms
Audio Stream BitRate..............................2 596 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR
Number of Audio Channels..........................6
Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz
Bit Depth.........................................24 bits
Audio Stream Title................................Lossless

I'm not sure what DTS "HD" really is according to the file inspector. When I playback that file on the S590, my receiver shows "DTS High Resolution" ....

I need to find a proper DTS - MA file to test I guess.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

The subset of the list above was enough for me to seriously consider upgrading from my 580 - nice additions to the feature set, although the 580 does seem to output DD 5.1 with Amazon with a recent F/W update.

However, I went looked at them at BestBuy, yesterday afternoon, and I am not liking look and feel of the 590 - very cheap and plastic looking.

Believe it or not, the 580 looks like audiophile gear in comparison to the 590, and I was / am not in love with the look of the 580 when I purchased it.

I wonder if there will be a 790 with yet another look apart from the 390 and 590?

Yea, I agree. However once I dropped it on the shelf I sort of forgot about it. Its just looks like another black box. Its funny, I found a old VHS deck in my storage room the other day. Man, that thing was heavy with a solid aluminum shell ..... how things have changed.

The S790 is a tad more conservative with less curves but I suspect its going to be the same plastic as what on these players.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just be aware that only AVC (h.264) videos, as you describe above, will actually playback. VC-1 Blu-Ray backups will not play on the Sony players. This was the case with the 580 and looking at the manual for the x90 it seems to still be true. You will be surprised how many BD backups you will not be able to play.

They will play, but you're DLNA server would need to transcode prior to sending to the Sony :-(
Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Since the Sony 390/590 series of players have cinavia infected firmware, won't any backups of cinavia infected titles shut down all audio about 20 to 30 minutes into playback? Won't this negate all Sony customer's ability to watch titles via servers, like so many folks value and discuss in this forum? Someone should try a cinavia infected title off a server with one of these players and let everyone know what happens?

A long-time audio/video addict!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And, of course, the 590 has an extra digital audio out (TOSLINK) in addition to the 390's coaxial digital out. May be of value for you, depending on your system.

Good catch. I updated the initial post with the feature list.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Since the Sony 390/590 series of players have cinavia infected firmware, won't any backups of cinavia infected titles shut down all audio about 20 to 30 minutes into playback? Won't this negate all Sony customer's ability to watch titles via servers, like so many folks value and discuss in this forum? Someone should try a cinavia infected title off a server with one of these players and let everyone know what happens?

Only if a content provider uses Cinavia. I'm not sure what the policy is going to be and if they are going to put a label on the box like they use to do with other systems.

Like has being mentioned before, Cinavia is required on all new bluray players going forward now. This is not just Sony players, but all players. Sony choose to tell people that a firmware release includes Cinavia protection. Perhaps they are required to tell consumers, I'm not sure.

What I can tell you is that there is no mention of Cinavia in the manual provided with the player. However, if you go on-line and download the PDF version of the manual, Cinavia is included in the manual. This probably corresponds with the updated firmware that stated that it included Cinavia.

The problem is, even if the player doesn't included Cinavia when you first buy them, and you choose not to update the firmware, we think you won't be able to use any of the on-line streaming services until you do a firmware update. Sort of the way the PS3 worked. This needs to be properly validated.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:

The S790 is a tad more conservative with less curves but I suspect its going to be the same plastic as what on these players.

I found images from a CES blog posting... it looks a little better, but I will wait to see the specs. Maybe we will get full decoding of HD codecs to LPCM in the new 7x player, along with 16-bit video processing and super bit mapping.

I've read how others have noticed a significant upgrade from the 3/5x players when playing DVDs.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Only if a content provider uses Cinavia. I'm not sure what the policy is going to be and if they are going to put a label on the box like they use to do with other systems.

Like has being mentioned before, Cinavia is required on all new bluray players going forward now. This is not just Sony players, but all players. Sony choose to tell people that a firmware release includes Cinavia protection. Perhaps they are required to tell consumers, I'm not sure.

What I can tell you is that there is no mention of Cinavia in the manual provided with the player. However, if you go on-line and download the PDF version of the manual, Cinavia is included in the manual. This probably corresponds with the updated firmware that stated that it included Cinavia.

The problem is, even if the player doesn't included Cinavia when you first buy them, and you choose not to update the firmware, we think you won't be able to use any of the on-line streaming services until you do a firmware update. Sort of the way the PS3 worked. This needs to be properly validated.

I only brought it up since folks were talking about playing movies off their servers, movies in mkv packaging, etc. - none of which will work with cinavia infected titles on a player running cinavia infected firmware. Anything some programmer somewhere decides is not a "trusted source" will mute audio.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had to do a firmware update before I could use Netflix. Might be possible without but I did not find a way. Once I updated firmware, worked great.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read how others have noticed a significant upgrade from the 3/5x players when playing DVDs.

Right, but call me a cynic but I think that's more to do with their internal justification of the additional cost ;-)
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I only brought it up since folks were talking about playing movies off their servers, movies in mkv packaging, etc. - none of which will work with cinavia infected titles on a player running cinavia infected firmware. Anything some programmer somewhere decides is not a "trusted source" will mute audio.

As of 12 February all BD players must be "infected" with Cinavia if they want to license the technology required to decrypt AACS protected BDs.

Are there documented instances of devices implementing Cinavia detection which refused to play Cinavia marked content which it should have? (And the people who programmed the firmware are innocent, unless they screw up the implementation of the specs).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just set up my 390. Netflix works great but I can't get it to show the photos and music from my home computer. My old 570 gets all my photos and music. Help!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

I just set up my 390. Netflix works great but I can't get it to show the photos and music from my home computer. My old 570 gets all my photos and music. Help!

I think you will need to provide more information regarding how you are sharing Photo's and Music. Are you simply connecting an external drive to the 390 via USB, or are you using a DLNA server running on a computer, or perhaps a NAS? If so which DLNA server, running Mac or Windows, etc.

I've tried Serviio (free on both Mac and Windows) .. Sony seems to recommend this one, so my hunch is they actually test their players with it. It seems to work fine for me, I've tried Music, Photos and Video.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Amazon now has the S590 for sale, via one of there sellers, J&R. Only 1 left though ... so hurry, hurry !
Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 784
I just checked and UPS has scanned my S390 in at an LA processing center! As expected they're estimating delivery by end of day tomorrow (of course, since I'll be anxiously waiting for it they won't deliver it until around 7 PM ).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Someone posted a review of the 590 on amazon giving it 1 star. They said it wouldn't play their bluray disks.

I tired 20 odd bluray disks from a variety of studios tonight, some that BD live intros (universal) and not one issue ... So not really sure what's going on here ....

I do have a 4gb flash drive in the rear USB port.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

As of 12 February all BD players must be "infected" with Cinavia if they want to license the technology required to decrypt AACS protected BDs.

Are there documented instances of devices implementing Cinavia detection which refused to play Cinavia marked content which it should have? (And the people who programmed the firmware are innocent, unless they screw up the implementation of the specs).

Fortunately, those of us who already own players purchased before February, 2012 can avoid the infection. I am happy to be in that category.

I am not aware of any cinavia infected players refusing to play cinavia infected source material as long as that source material meets whatever that verance programmer has declared a "trusted source" in the firmware - which is basically an aacs protected commercially manufactured media. So, copies will throw an error and mute audio, titles ripped to a server and fed to the player will throw an error and mute audio, etc. The impact on any individual consumer depends on how they have set up and use their home theater. If all you do is play purchased/commercially produced BD's and CD's from within your cinavia infected player, it should not be a problem. If you value and exercise any level of flexibility with regard to how you store, play, etc. your titles, you will most likely run into a problem.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 AM

Gulp.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Has anyone been able to compared the boot/loading time of the new models and last year 80's models?

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com