post #2161 of 4069 Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Movies on discs tend to set for higher dynamic range, just like you hear it in theaters. Your TV speakers can't handle that kind of dynamic range (from really quiet to really loud). This is best for a home theater setup. So, for TV speakers, you should turn on the dynamic range compression on the player to equalize the sound effects. It is in the audio settings of the player. May go by different names.

Agreed. Though the dynamic range compression may help somewhat, it should be understood that the built in speakers in TVs generally produce very poor quality sound. They're designed to provide the bare minimum functionality for people that don't have sound systems, nothing more. Almost any external speaker will sound better, even inexpensive computer speakers will likely be a substantial upgrade. I would strongly suggest getting something else to reproduce your audio, if not an AVR with surround sound capability, some sort of external speakers and amplification. This problem can be effectively solved without throwing a lot of money at it, but of course, there are definitely benefits to investing in a good solution for audio as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 4069 Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post

On these players, it looks like you can set the video output to 1080i, and also set 1080/24p capability to "on". Will 60fps material then be played at 1080i/60 but all 1080/24p material automatically be played in 24p? This can be done on the PS3 and the settings look similar, but has anyone actually confirmed it? I would need this configuration to work with my older Lumagen. Thanks!

No. Things work differently on these BD players.

Setting the output resolution to 1080i will mean the output is always 1080i/60 regardless of the 24p settings (on either BD or DVD) or playing a 24p BD.

The only way therefore to get 24p is to set 24p settings to AUTO and have output resolution set to AUTO or 1080p. Technically you could also set this to original resolution, since that's what's on the BD, but not a DVD !

DVD 24p is troublesome,in general though.
post #2163 of 4069 Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

No. Things work differently on these BD players.
Setting the output resolution to 1080i will mean the output is always 1080i/60 regardless of the 24p settings (on either BD or DVD) or playing a 24p BD.
The only way therefore to get 24p is to set 24p settings to AUTO and have output resolution set to AUTO or 1080p. Technically you could also set this to original resolution, since that's what's on the BD, but not a DVD !
DVD 24p is troublesome,in general though.

So it works differently than the PS3 even if the 24p setting is set to "on"? Do you know of any player that will output 1080i/60, but switch to 24p automatically for 24p content?
post #2164 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry in advance for being the most ignorant person in this thread. I am looking for a Bluray player and the 390 was suggested to me (I have a Samsung U54 that is not 3D, but I'd like to leverage a Bluray for netflix and browsing capabilities). If Costco has its version of the S590 priced the same as the S390 at Best Buy, is there any harm in downside buying that? Any benefits to me as a non-3D viewer buying the 590 version?
post #2165 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
post #2166 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnightowl View Post

Any benefits to me as a non-3D viewer buying the 590 version?

Well, you do get a standard 17" wide enclosure with an LED display; might as well if they're the same price.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2167 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM

hi.

Exactly the same for me. I had to redo my MP4 to play, but is successfully streaming from my HP -- HomeServer. I cannot pause or rewind or fastforward when playing through the BDP-S390.

I tried with the iPhone app remote, the normal remote, and trying to control it from another DLNA client. None of them worked to pause the video.

Thus there is a problem in the BDP-S390, which is very annoying.

Anyone have any contact with Sony to check on this yet?
post #2168 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it works differently than the PS3 even if the 24p setting is set to "on"? Do you know of any player that will output 1080i/60, but switch to 24p automatically for 24p content?

There is no "on" setting. Just auto or off. Like I said, 24p Only seems to work ifs already outputting 1080p/60

Not sure about other BD players. Could ask in the panasonic thread.
post #2169 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeje View Post

hi.
Exactly the same for me. I had to redo my MP4 to play, but is successfully streaming from my HP -- HomeServer. I cannot pause or rewind or fastforward when playing through the BDP-S390.
I tried with the iPhone app remote, the normal remote, and trying to control it from another DLNA client. None of them worked to pause the video.

DLNA and FF and REW is a world of hurt. No player properly works. The Sony players do support chapter search and that works ok.

The only way to properly get FF and REW to work with the Sony and Serviio / homestream is to enable transcoding. Check out the Serviio forums for more info.
post #2170 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM

I was excited to be able to play a Costco Photo DVD on my new BDP-BX59 player but was dismayed when it didn't continue to finish playing the rest of the photos on the DVD. I then loaded an SD card in a USB adapter and played some other photos but again the player stopped playing after a while. Does anyone know how to fix this? I was able to play a DVD movie to completion. Thanks.
post #2171 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

There is no "on" setting. Just auto or off. Like I said, 24p Only seems to work ifs already outputting 1080p/60
Not sure about other BD players. Could ask in the panasonic thread.

Strange. The online manual on Sony's site lists AUTO, OFF, and ON just like on the PS3.
post #2172 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Strange. The online manual on Sony's site lists AUTO, OFF, and ON just like on the PS3.
The way you originally stated your question was confusing to me. It sounded like you wanted to make the player never switch to 24p, in which case you'd simply pick OFF. AUTO will switch automatically for BD at least. But many players, like panasonic, require you manually select 24p for DVD every time you play a different disc.
post #2173 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I apologize. I should have being more specific. There are two settings for 24p depending on if you play BD or DVDs

BD has settings Auto, on or off
DVD has Auto or off

Regardless of these settings though. When 1080i is specified as output,

DVDs will play at 1080i

And BDs will play at 1080i
post #2174 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Hi there,
Looking to purchase my first bluray player and am leaning towards the 590. I do have one question though...will I be able to play all of my HD mkv files through it? I haven't kept up with the times, but I thought I've heard that sometimes these new devices won't allow certain files to play. Currently I play my files thru a patriot box office but if this player could do it I'd be able to move my pbo to a different tv.
post #2175 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRempel View Post

Hi there,
Looking to purchase my first bluray player and am leaning towards the 590. I do have one question though...will I be able to play all of my HD mkv files through it? I haven't kept up with the times, but I thought I've heard that sometimes these new devices won't allow certain files to play. Currently I play my files thru a patriot box office but if this player could do it I'd be able to move my pbo to a different tv.

"All my HD MKVs". You need to be more specific as to what these are.

MKVs are just containers for something else.

Yes to MKV AVC Mp4 with DTS or DD, but No to PCM Multi-channel.

No to MKV VC-1 or MPEG2. these need to be remuxed to M2TS
post #2176 of 4069 Old 11-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Sorry, was doing too many things while posting. MPEG-4 AVC is what I should have said. Thanks for the reply.
post #2177 of 4069 Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeje View Post

hi.

So, hard to know what advice to give you, because I don't know how your MP4 files are constructed. However, I stream M4V (MP4 containers for Apple TV) that were encoded with Handbrake and contain multiple audio tracks.

I use the following settings on my BDP-S590 (which uses the same software):

1. NO transcoding - these files playback from USB drives, natively, so they will also stream w/o transcoding and will be easier on your server;

2. Select the Sony TV Bravia 2012 profile, instead of the Sony BD/SMP Profile;

I can select from multiple audio tracks using the Audio button on the remote (2-channel AAC or DD AC-3 5.1 pass thru) and Pause/Play/FF/RW works just fine. However, I cannot advance by chapter - pressing the chapter button takes me to the next movie in the same folder. Personal preference, of course, but it's more important to me to have RW/FF than to seek by chapters. Also, there is no solution for sub-titles w/ the Sony player, except to burn them into the video during encoding (which, frankly, is the best way anyway - externally acquired SRT files embedded into the container are usually of poor quality, both visually and grammatically).

And, the playback video quality is awesome - significant improvement over the Apple TV playing back the exact same file.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #2178 of 4069 Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM

How do I setup amazon instant video for 5.1 audio over HDMI with the 590? I know not all titles have it, so can anyone recommend something on Price I can test with?
post #2179 of 4069 Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocynic View Post

How do I setup amazon instant video for 5.1 audio over HDMI with the 590? I know not all titles have it, so can anyone recommend something on Price I can test with?

There's no set up required; if the title has 5.1 sound you should get it through either HDMI or S/PDIF (I don't think that Amazon gives you an option to listen to stereo if there's 5.1 sound; I could be wrong).

You can see a list of Amazon Instant Video movie titles with 5.1 sound here; they're additionally marked with whether they're in HD and/or Prime eligible. If they're Prime eligible and you're an Amazon Prime member you can watch them at no additional cost. (Here's a list of titles in HD w/5.1 sound that are Prime eligible; sadly those lists are at least a month out of date).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2180 of 4069 Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM

Liked: 20
This is speculative on my part, but do manufacturers improve build quality during the run of a particular model?

I decided to exchange my 590 after an unbearable amount of noise/vibration when playing specific disks. I didn't check exact manufacturing dates, but my new 590 was purchased several mo. after the first.

The vibration noise is now completely gone and the unit is generally seems a bit quieter overall. I know build quality and the quality of materials is not exactly 1st rate on the lower cost sony's, but I'm wondering if manuf. introduce minor fixes later in production runs without announcing them.
post #2181 of 4069 Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, this is a common practice.
post #2182 of 4069 Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

This is speculative on my part, but do manufacturers improve build quality during the run of a particular model?
I decided to exchange my 590 after an unbearable amount of noise/vibration when playing specific disks. I didn't check exact manufacturing dates, but my new 590 was purchased several mo. after the first.
The vibration noise is now completely gone and the unit is generally seems a bit quieter overall. I know build quality and the quality of materials is not exactly 1st rate on the lower cost sony's, but I'm wondering if manuf. introduce minor fixes later in production runs without announcing them.

Don't confuse fixing problems with improving build quality. A hot product, as I suspect the 590 has been for Sony, will often go through a bill of materials (or BoM) optimization to lower per unit costs (i.e. they are selling lots of them, so they renegotiate costs with suppliers assuming a higher number of units and redesign components where they can to reduce cost for subsequent runs). Sometimes, this will actually lower quality. PS3 is an excellent example of that happening with the external enclosures.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #2183 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 AM

Liked: 20
But it's conceivable that if they get numerous returns from dealers for a specific problem, they could very well fix it in the middle of a production run and never announce it.

I don't have any news reports to back this up, I do know it happens very frequently with a company like apple, which is highly secretive, which leads to a lot of snooping and therefore, distribution of the occasional insider leak.

Most forum members seem very happy with their blu ray players however, as I rarely read reports along the lines of "my player is noisy" or "there's too much vibration."

Unlike the tv threads, which are littered with complaints of flashlighting, or a dozen other PQ complaints. I guess people are much more sensitive to problems in what they see than in what they hear?
post #2184 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

But it's conceivable that if they get numerous returns from dealers for a specific problem, they could very well fix it in the middle of a production run and never announce it.
I don't have any news reports to back this up, I do know it happens very frequently with a company like apple, which is highly secretive, which leads to a lot of snooping and therefore, distribution of the occasional insider leak.
Most forum members seem very happy with their blu ray players however, as I rarely read reports along the lines of "my player is noisy" or "there's too much vibration."
Unlike the tv threads, which are littered with complaints of flashlighting, or a dozen other PQ complaints. I guess people are much more sensitive to problems in what they see than in what they hear?

Yes, for sure, vendors do as you describe if there is a problem. Well, good vendors, anyway. Despite Sony's challenges as a company, I continue to believe that their engineers really care about quality; especially sound and picture.

Blu-ray players are pretty reliable at this point - they all come from a relatively short list of OEMs and use the same parts and chip sets. This thread is good, because the Sony players are a great value (IMO); but there are other threads where things are not all well. Search for the Pioneer 2011 anticipation thread (I can't remember the title) and read about the many problems those players had - unable to play some discs, bad remote sensors, noise and vibration... the list goes on and on.

post #2185 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM

I have had a BDP-S590 since July and the the Netflix has worked fine until a few days ago. Now when I try to go to Netflix, the red screen with the activity bars comes up for a few seconds. It then switches to what appears to be the beginning of the main window (the top of the screen is red with "Netflix" displayed and the bottom of the screen is gray with the activity bars animating). It them alternates between these two screens forever and displays no error. I've gone through power resets, factory resets, etc. Internet works fine, Speedtest.net shows 19mbps download speed. Sony Support wants me to schedule a technician to come out. Is anyone else encountering this issue?
post #2186 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyarns View Post

I have had a BDP-S590 since July and the the Netflix has worked fine until a few days ago. Now when I try to go to Netflix, the red screen with the activity bars comes up for a few seconds. It then switches to what appears to be the beginning of the main window (the top of the screen is red with "Netflix" displayed and the bottom of the screen is gray with the activity bars animating). It them alternates between these two screens forever and displays no error. I've gone through power resets, factory resets, etc. Internet works fine, Speedtest.net shows 19mbps download speed. Sony Support wants me to schedule a technician to come out. Is anyone else encountering this issue?

Might want to cancel that service call. Netflix went through a major outage just the last day or so.

http://downrightnow.com/netflix

Looks like they were down for several hours several times. It was Netflix, not your player most likely I'd say.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #2187 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Might want to cancel that service call. Netflix went through a major outage just the last day or so.
http://downrightnow.com/netflix
Looks like they were down for several hours several times. It was Netflix, not your player most likely I'd say.

Figures. And Netflix told me they weren't having any problems, so it had to be me. mad.gif (And thank you for the response!)
post #2188 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Until yesterday my setup was as follows:

Synology NAS (to stream M4V video files)
D-Link AV500 Powerline adapters for the network signal
Sony S470

All works great.

Today I purchased a S590 for a different room. It sees the NAS server just the same, but refuses to play any video mad.gif. I've tried it with several formats - MP4, MKV etc. Photos and music play just fine.

I have tried wireless and wired, and have tried it in the same room using the same network cable as the S470, but all I get is the message "The file is corrupt or unsupported"

I expected the S590 to be at least equally as capable as the S470 when it came to video file compatibility. Are there are known issues with the S590?

All help is much appreciated!

smile.gif
post #2189 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyarns View Post

Figures. And Netflix told me they weren't having any problems, so it had to be me. mad.gif (And thank you for the response!)

Well according to that site it's up currently so I'd test it tonight and if it still isn't working, let the service call continue. Good luck streaming.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #2190 of 4069 Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALew15 View Post

Until yesterday my setup was as follows:
Synology NAS (to stream M4V video files)
D-Link AV500 Powerline adapters for the network signal
Sony S470
All works great.
Today I purchased a S590 for a different room. It sees the NAS server just the same, but refuses to play any video mad.gif. I've tried it with several formats - MP4, MKV etc. Photos and music play just fine.
I have tried wireless and wired, and have tried it in the same room using the same network cable as the S470, but all I get is the message "The file is corrupt or unsupported"
I expected the S590 to be at least equally as capable as the S470 when it came to video file compatibility. Are there are known issues with the S590?
All help is much appreciated!
smile.gif

Ok, this just got stranger...

The S590 refuses to play videos from the NAS over the network, but do play the same files from a USB drive.

Again, the S590 plays music and photos from the NAS just fine, and if I plug the same network cable into my S470 that plays the videos from the NAS no problem.

Any ideas?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page