AVS Forum banner
625K views 4K replies 602 participants last post by  TimA 
#1 ·

Do you have a issue with HD audio from these players? DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD not showing up on your receiver?

See the following posts within this thread.

See posts #193, #203, #204, #499, and #740.

590 features over 390.

1. 3D support

2. Additional rear USB port

3. Optical audio output

4. Front display

5. Standard width

Comparison (courtesy of Amazon):

DLNA and USB update with the S590/S390/S790

NTFS formatted USB drive fully supported.

Sony will play the following formats NATIVELY over DLNA.

Video:

Container: MKV. Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: M2TS Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, VC-1, Mpeg2. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: VOB Video codec:Mpeg 2. Audio codec: LPCM, Dolby Digital

Container: m4v mp4 Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, XVID. Audio Codec: AAC

Audio:

Mp3, AAC

Tested with

Mac:

Playback DLNA server (Yazsoft)

Serviio and  Homestream

PLAYBACK DLNA from Yazsoft

For the best iLife integration with iTunes and iPhoto, Playback DLNA server is superb !!

Get Playback Here > http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

Serviio/Homestream work with Windows, Mac and Linux

Sony has its own re-branded version of Serviio called HomeStream. You can download it here .

Use the BRAVIA profile. Don't use the default BD player profile, as Sony made some changes during a recent firmware update !

Serviio users, use the "Bravia 2012 - US" profile for best compatibility and minimum transcoding or remuxing. You can decide if you enable transcoding or not on the server. See files supported above.

Basically, if you have a bunch of MKVs using the VC-1 or Mpeg2 codecs and don't want to remux with TSMuxer, then you will need to enable transcoding on Serviio or Homestream to playback the files.

A note about MKVs. You may find FF/REW will not work very well with the player. M2TS containers work fine, but then dont support chapter markers ... so there are trade-offs.

Support Info

Sony has added the S590 (and S390) to their USA support pages. Available here .

Useful Settings

During playback of BD or DVD

Picture Quality : Normal (standard mode. Avoid using the others)

BNR: Off

MNR: Off

During Internet video playback

IP Content Noise Reduction: Off

Screen Settings:

All defaults other than:

Screen Format: Actually toggle this one back and forth between Full and Normal depending on if I want 4:3 content to be stretched across 16:9. This setting only effects DVD. Streaming content is not effected (with latest firmware).

** Ensure you download the latest firmware that addresses an issue with YCbCr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB colorspaces **

The firmware may also introduce a problem playing back some files with DLNA. If you are using Serviio or HomeShare, refer to the following post with a fix:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/1560#post_22244982

Audio settings:

DSD Output mode: DSD (note, you can only do this if you're receiver can decode DSD directly

BD Audio Mix: Off (Allows for high-resolution audio bitstream from player)

Audio DRC: Off (Hate compression generally)

Downmix: Surround (if you're receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic / II or DTS Neo, etc)

A note about 24p

There are now two settings for 24p output.

By default they are

BD-ROM 24p output: On

DVD-ROM 24p output: Off

and I left them like that. Many DVDs are not 24p compatible, and with DVD generally a last resort, can't be bothered to keep toggling this one.

SEN Portal:

Read this post within the thread: here

See less See more
#3 ·
On the sonyrewards.com web site they actually have this player available to order. I actually just ordered it for the equivalent of $108 + tax since I am a Sony Credit Card holder.

I already own the bdp-s580 so I am anxious to see how this compares.

There was nothing on the site that said that it was not shipping until later in March, so I am hoping that I will get it soon.

Todd

#4 ·
Thats great. Even if you don't have points its $134.99 which includes shipping. Retail is $149.00. I'm sure we will see prices dropping shortly.

I've also owned the s580. Overall I like it, but it could be better. The streaming user interfaces are OK ... but could do with a overhaul. As I mentioned above, I would like to see 1080p netflix and 5.1.

Overall though, I still prefer the 580 to the new Panasonic 220 (and 210 before that). As much as I wanted to like the Panasonic, I absolutely hated the Viera Connect portal, and user interface. It just looks tacky. THe color scheme is from hell ... I could go on and on. On top of that, some of the apps, just dont work. Hulu plus for example. The S580 on the other hand, once you have figured out what you want to watch ... i've never had any issues with interrupted playback on any of the VOD services (amazon, hulu, netflix or vudu hdx).

#5 ·
I'm also trying to compare the 590 to the Panny 220. From reading the manuals so far this is what I could ascertain as the differences...

Things the Panny can do:

-Play files from a network share

Thing the Sony can do:

-Built-in web browser

-Play xVid files

Other than these two things they seem to be pretty similar. The Sony has a redesigned look which looks kind'a cool. If the Sony can do Netflix 1080p streaming&DD+&24p streaming output I will probably get it. Otherwise I'll probably go for the Panasonic. Right now I have the S470 and I have been pretty happy with it but it's getting kind of old with an antiquated Netflix interface and other limitations. That unit will go upstairs to replace a DVD player.

#7 ·
The S390 is now in stock at the Sony online store (USA) available here

The S390 is similar to the S590, but doesn't include 3D and has one USB port. All models this year are Wireless.

Hopefully someone will purchase and tell us all what the new UI looks like !

#13 ·
Hi Guys.

My S390 arrived today. I've got some very interesting updates. Didn't have a chance to properly test things out but I can report the following updates:

1) Good news for you Netflix fans. The Netflix UI is completely overhauled and is using one of the standard Netflix UI's. Looks just like the PS3 to me. The new S390 supports 1080p streams and Dolby Digital + bitstream. I can confirm it is 1080p, because selecting DISPLAY when a movie is playing shows the X-High setting (like the PS3). Finally !!!!!!!!

2) Amazon VOD has had a small update. It now will push Dolby Digital bitstream out for Movies in 5.1. Before with the x80 series, the audio was converted inside the player to mutli-channel PCM and sending out via HDMI. Now you just get the 5.1 bitstream.

3) Same apps as before. No changes I can see. VUDU is on here which is good.

4) HULU+ app is as it was before. That's a small disappointment, was hoping to see the PS3 HULU+ app moved over. Still ... at least HULU+ works.

5) iPhone app works as before, however the text input does not work inside VUDU or Netflix since its using a custom UI.

6) Favorites has being completely removed from the XMB. This is because this feature will be incorporated into the new SEN portal. The SEN portal is showing "Coming Soon", so I can't let you know what thats about yet .....

Overall, I've very encouraged by this new 2012 player from Sony. More later.

** update **. I can confirm the above info on streaming is also applicable to the Sony SDP-S590 as well.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc /forum/post/21752546

5.1 on Netflix and Amazon, & updated Netflix app! It might be time to retire my Roku!

How is the picture quality on the 1080p Netflix... anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Excellent (certainly as good as the PS3 Netflix app, which was considered by many as the best Netflix streamer).

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21748415

Hi Guys.

2) Amazon VOD has had a small update. It now will push Dolby Digital bitstream out for Movies in 5.1. Before with the x80 series, the audio was converted inside the player to mutli-channel PCM and sending out via HDMI. Now you just get the 5.1 bitstream.

Actually, the BDP-S580 does Amazon 5.1 now, as well, which was a pleasant surprise after the last firmware update.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21698207

Figured it was time to kick this one off since it should be arriving soon (hopefully).

What do we know about the S590:

The really, really BIG thing I am hoping Sony adds to the 590 - full decoding of the HD audio codec to LPCM. I am basing this presumption on the wording of their marketing sheet (i.e. the HDMI Audio Out section).

Current players (all Sony and most of everyone else's) are limited to core DTS audio (1.5 Mbps) for decoding to LPCM; most (if not all) mid-range AVRs cannot both decode bit streamed lossless audio *and* apply post-processing (e.g. Yamaha's Cinema DSP). If Sony fixes this problem, this player is a home run and basically eliminates the need for higher-end BD players.

Crossing my fingers...

#22 ·
Not having a 3D television or any interest in 3D, I'm gonna check out the 390. I was going to order it from B&H but decided to pre-order from Amazon instead. No rush--I'll save $12 in shipping and have Amazon's wonderful return policy (and buttery smooth return mechanism) if I should need it.

#23 ·
My only negative complaint about the 2012 players is the overall external design. I'm not really digging the curves. I guess I'll get use to it. Looks like the S790 is the more conservative design out of the three .....

Guess, they were trying to make them look a bit different this year.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21754916

Not having a 3D television or any interest in 3D, I'm gonna check out the 390. I was going to order it from B&H but decided to pre-order from Amazon instead. No rush--I'll save $12 in shipping and have Amazon's wonderful return policy (and buttery smooth return mechanism) if I should need it.

Sony online store (not rewards) offers a painless return policy. You do have to pay for return shipping though. Just shipped back my S390 ... keeping the S590 !

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21754934

Sony online store (not rewards) offers a painless return policy. You do have to pay for return shipping though. Just shipped back my S390 ... keeping the S590 !

Amazon will pay for the shipping if it's broken. In any case they'll give you an addressed prepaid label to print and will alert UPS to stop by your house to get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.