AVS Forum banner
625K views 4K replies 602 participants last post by  TimA 
#1 ·

Do you have a issue with HD audio from these players? DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD not showing up on your receiver?

See the following posts within this thread.

See posts #193, #203, #204, #499, and #740.

590 features over 390.

1. 3D support

2. Additional rear USB port

3. Optical audio output

4. Front display

5. Standard width

Comparison (courtesy of Amazon):

DLNA and USB update with the S590/S390/S790

NTFS formatted USB drive fully supported.

Sony will play the following formats NATIVELY over DLNA.

Video:

Container: MKV. Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: M2TS Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, VC-1, Mpeg2. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: VOB Video codec:Mpeg 2. Audio codec: LPCM, Dolby Digital

Container: m4v mp4 Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, XVID. Audio Codec: AAC

Audio:

Mp3, AAC

Tested with

Mac:

Playback DLNA server (Yazsoft)

Serviio and  Homestream

PLAYBACK DLNA from Yazsoft

For the best iLife integration with iTunes and iPhoto, Playback DLNA server is superb !!

Get Playback Here > http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

Serviio/Homestream work with Windows, Mac and Linux

Sony has its own re-branded version of Serviio called HomeStream. You can download it here .

Use the BRAVIA profile. Don't use the default BD player profile, as Sony made some changes during a recent firmware update !

Serviio users, use the "Bravia 2012 - US" profile for best compatibility and minimum transcoding or remuxing. You can decide if you enable transcoding or not on the server. See files supported above.

Basically, if you have a bunch of MKVs using the VC-1 or Mpeg2 codecs and don't want to remux with TSMuxer, then you will need to enable transcoding on Serviio or Homestream to playback the files.

A note about MKVs. You may find FF/REW will not work very well with the player. M2TS containers work fine, but then dont support chapter markers ... so there are trade-offs.

Support Info

Sony has added the S590 (and S390) to their USA support pages. Available here .

Useful Settings

During playback of BD or DVD

Picture Quality : Normal (standard mode. Avoid using the others)

BNR: Off

MNR: Off

During Internet video playback

IP Content Noise Reduction: Off

Screen Settings:

All defaults other than:

Screen Format: Actually toggle this one back and forth between Full and Normal depending on if I want 4:3 content to be stretched across 16:9. This setting only effects DVD. Streaming content is not effected (with latest firmware).

** Ensure you download the latest firmware that addresses an issue with YCbCr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB colorspaces **

The firmware may also introduce a problem playing back some files with DLNA. If you are using Serviio or HomeShare, refer to the following post with a fix:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/1560#post_22244982

Audio settings:

DSD Output mode: DSD (note, you can only do this if you're receiver can decode DSD directly

BD Audio Mix: Off (Allows for high-resolution audio bitstream from player)

Audio DRC: Off (Hate compression generally)

Downmix: Surround (if you're receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic / II or DTS Neo, etc)

A note about 24p

There are now two settings for 24p output.

By default they are

BD-ROM 24p output: On

DVD-ROM 24p output: Off

and I left them like that. Many DVDs are not 24p compatible, and with DVD generally a last resort, can't be bothered to keep toggling this one.

SEN Portal:

Read this post within the thread: here

See less See more
#3,877 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkenyon  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24178811

I have a Marantz nr 1403 and a son bdp bx59 blu ray. Occasionally when I turn on the blu ray, the sony blu ray screen comes on, but when it goes to change to the home screen in goes black and freezes. Is this a bku ray or receiver problem? BTW, I have new mono price cables.

Try turning off Deep Color on the player.

#3,879 ·
Vampidemic means that when you manage to get a viewable menu, change the Deep color setting in the Blu-ray player to off. That will reduce the data bitrate that it sends over HDMI and might make its connection more reliable. Higher HDMI bitrates tend to be less reliable than lower bitrates.

In order to be able to make this settings change, you might try connecting the BDP directly into your TV using your shortest HDMI cable. This would bypass the receiver and one of the HDMI cables, just in case one or both of them is the source of the problem.

Reactions: fkenyon
#3,881 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkenyon  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24180688

Thanks. Will do. Will this reduce my picture quality? Have new vt60 coming and will wait to make any changes until then.

Nope. No commercial video product uses deep color (more than 8 bits per color channel), although it is available on some high-end camcorders.

#3,883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3840#post_24089553

Not a problem,

I am an apple person too I have a late 2006 macbook running lion, and an iphone 5. I had considered getting an apple TV for my itunes movie content, but to be honest using services like vudu netflix etc give me so much more options for my content.

If i want to watch my itunes content on the tv i could just buy a lightning to HDMI adapter and connect my phone.

After streaming content from multiple sources (Roku 2, Samsung SmartTV, Panasonic SmartTV, AppleTV & Sony BDP S590), I can verify that the BDP S590 has the best Netflix PQ. I did a side by side comparison with both AppleTV and the BDP on the same hard wired internet connection (30mbs). Decided to return the AppleTV due to the Netflix PQ not stacking up against the Sony BDP S590. I put AppleTV through the paces for the weekend and just couldn't justify the purchase. I was looking for a better UI than the BDP since I hate the remote and slow loading of streaming content.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have the "problem" of the S590 testing the internet connection every time it is used? It tests it once ("internet content is ready"), then again in a 3-step connection test for further delays.

I know this post is random, but hopefully someone out there in the same position can take solace in the fact that their S590 is providing better PQ than the devices dedicated to streaming (Roku, AppleTV). BTW - I own a 55" Panasonic VT50 with ISF calibration. Smaller televisions (like the 40" Sony Bravia LCD I've got in the bedroom) will not show as big a difference in PQ.

#3,884 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3800_100#post_24243468

After streaming content from multiple sources (Roku 2, Samsung SmartTV, Panasonic SmartTV, AppleTV & Sony BDP S590), I can verify that the BDP S590 has the best Netflix PQ.
Thanks for the review. While Netflix may look best on the 590 compared to the other devices you tested, it is far from having the best PQ compared to other devices, like it's replacement the 5100. The 590 never gets the top Super HD bitrate like the 5100. So for the best Netflix PQ on a Sony player, you should really look at the x100 series rather than the purposely crippled x90 series.

That stupid "internet content is ready" message has been an annoyance on Sony players since the beginning. It doesn't look like it's every going to go away. It's a running joke in our house. I wonder how Sony engineers would feel if they got in their car and pressed the accelerator pedal, but instead of moving, they simply got a message saying, "engine is ready".

#3,885 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24243704

Thanks for the review. While Netflix may look best on the 590 compared to the other devices you tested, it is far from having the best PQ compared to other devices, like it's replacement the 5100. The 590 never gets the top Super HD bitrate like the 5100. So for the best Netflix PQ on a Sony player, you should really look at the x100 series rather than the purposely crippled x90 series.

That stupid "internet content is ready" message has been an annoyance on Sony players since the beginning. It doesn't look like it's every going to go away. It's a running joke in our house. I wonder how Sony engineers would feel if they got in their car and pressed the accelerator pedal, but instead of moving, they simply got a message saying, "engine is ready".

Thanks...good stuff. My comment about Netflix looking the best on the S590 was intended to be in comparison to the others I listed. I was hoping for a comment like yours which may direct me elsewhere (x100 line of Sony).

To my knowledge, I will never get the Super HD bitrate since my cable/internet provider (Time Warner Cable) refuses to offer the Super HD capability. Is that your understanding, or will I see better results with the 5100 regardless?

#3,886 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3800_100#post_24243804

Thanks...good stuff. My comment about Netflix looking the best on the S590 was intended to be in comparison to the others I listed. I was hoping for a comment like yours which may direct me elsewhere (x100 line of Sony).

To my knowledge, I will never get the Super HD bitrate since my cable/internet provider (Time Warner Cable) refuses to offer the Super HD capability. Is that your understanding, or will I see better results with the 5100 regardless?
It is not. Netflix gave up on requiring ISP's to have Open Connect for Super HD several months ago. You should be able to get Super HD on any ISP, so long as you get over 6 Mbps. My ISP isn't Open Connect, yet I always get Super HD on my x100 players immediately. Lack of Super HD is the primary reason I sold all my x90 players. Also realize the x200 players are coming out soon and have lower list prices than the x100 models. This means lower prices on both.

Having said that, Super HD looks good, but can you really see much difference? That's open to debate. If you're happy with your PQ now, there's probably no point in getting a new player for such a marginal gain. I only did it because I found some good deals on BF and have a pretty big screen, making small resolution differences more noticeable.

#3,887 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24244221

If you're happy with your PQ now, there's probably no point in getting a new player for such a marginal gain. I only did it because I found some good deals on BF and have a pretty big screen, making small resolution differences more noticeable.

I was looking at the much higher priced S790 since it was retained as the flagship Sony BDP last year. Are you familiar with this model and how it compares to the S590 & S5100? From what I can tell, the S790 gets 4K upscaling, Dual Core processor and Skype capability. All of those sound like nice upgrades, but is it worth an additional $170? Probably not, but the answer will vary depending on individual needs.

Do you tend to stick with Sony BDP or are you partial to others? I've had the S590 for a little less than a year and I'd say it is above average. Ultimately, my goal is to achieve the best PQ; but, the UI is also important and the S590 doesn't shine in that arena IMHO.

#3,888 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3800_100#post_24244557

I was looking at the much higher priced S790 since it was retained as the flagship Sony BDP last year. Are you familiar with this model and how it compares to the S590 & S5100? From what I can tell, the S790 gets 4K upscaling, Dual Core processor and Skype capability. All of those sound like nice upgrades, but is it worth an additional $170? Probably not, but the answer will vary depending on individual needs.

Do you tend to stick with Sony BDP or are you partial to others? I've had the S590 for a little less than a year and I'd say it is above average. Ultimately, my goal is to achieve the best PQ; but, the UI is also important and the S590 doesn't shine in that arena IMHO.
The 790 has the same Netflix ceiling as the 590, so no improvement there (I sold my 790 as well). I don't need 4k upscaling, skype or dual HDMI. With skype, you also have to add a camera of course. Luckily, not a high-priced proprietary one.

If you think Sony's UI is bad now, you should have seen it a few years ago. The Netflix app consisted of unreadable postage stamp thumbnails and blind ffwd/rewind. It was horrendous.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever since mfgs could make great stuff one year and terrible stuff the next. I go with the best bang for the buck. A few years ago that was Panasonic, but they've fallen way behind. This year it's Sony, IMO. For 2014, it could be somebody else. I've also tried LG, Samsung and Toshiba and they've all fallen short of my expectations in some way or another. You could go with something like Oppo, but I personally can't justify that kind of money given how rarely I watch DVDs.

I actually use an HTPC for most of my media. So I only use my BD players for discs and Netflix. Sony works fine in that regard.

#3,889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24245387

The 790 has the same Netflix ceiling as the 590, so no improvement there (I sold my 790 as well). I don't need 4k upscaling, skype or dual HDMI. With skype, you also have to add a camera of course. Luckily, not a high-priced proprietary one.

OK, I'm sold on upgrading the S590 for the Super HD factor alone. I took a stroll through the AVS 2014 Sony BDP thread and may just opt for the S5100. Their seems to be some debate on whether the S5200 is much of an upgrade to the S5100. The 5100 is on Amazon now for $80.

#3,890 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24244221

Lack of Super HD is the primary reason I sold all my x90 players.

Just to let it clear, the 2012 line of Sony players (x90) can reach Super HD quality at the bitrate of 4300 kbps, which is one below the top (5800 kbps)

About the "internet data connection test" message, I also get that on my S390.

#3,891 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaioTheBrain  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24246559

Just to let it clear, the 2012 line of Sony players (x90) can reach Super HD quality at the bitrate of 4300 kbps, which is one below the top (5800 kbps)

About the "internet data connection test" message, I also get that on my S390.

This must be why I could see such a PQ difference between the AppleTV and S590 (streaming Netflix).

Slower interface is a sacrifice I'll make for better PQ.

#3,892 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaioTheBrain  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3800_100#post_24246559

Just to let it clear, the 2012 line of Sony players (x90) can reach Super HD quality at the bitrate of 4300 kbps, which is one below the top (5800 kbps).
Yes, that's what I tried to say initially. I just got lazy in subsequent posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3800_100#post_24243704

...The 590 never gets the top Super HD bitrate like the 5100...

#3,893 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24246792

This must be why I could see such a PQ difference between the AppleTV and S590 (streaming Netflix).

Slower interface is a sacrifice I'll make for better PQ.
From which generation is your Apple TV, 2nd (720p max) or 3rd (1080p max)?

#3,895 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaioTheBrain  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24247478

From which generation is your Apple TV, 2nd (720p max) or 3rd (1080p max)?

I just bought and returned it this past weekend...a 3rd generation, 1080p AppleTV. I made sure to adjust the video settings to 1080p 60hz (also tested Auto setting). The PQ difference between that and the S590 was drastic. It was as close a comparison as possible switching back and forth between sources at the same spot in a Netflix movie stream. Both hardwired connections to same modem.

#3,896 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24249651

I just bought and returned it this past weekend...a 3rd generation, 1080p AppleTV. I made sure to adjust the video settings to 1080p 60hz (also tested Auto setting). The PQ difference between that and the S590 was drastic. It was as close a comparison as possible switching back and forth between sources at the same spot in a Netflix movie stream. Both hardwired connections to same modem.

When you did the side by side test, I take it you were streaming from both devices at the same time. Do you have enough bandwidth from your ISP to support optimal streaming for both devices at the same time? I ask this because different devices handle poor bandwidth conditions differently and the Sony may do a better job of buffering than the AppleTV.

#3,897 ·
My '590 had a really weird hiccup last night. It was one of those rare nights that my wife joined me to watch a movie ("Fantastic Mr. Fox"). We were hearing music through all 5.1 speakers, but no speech(!). I reset the '590 and then everything worked fine. I'm sending LPCM to my prepro (Sherbourn PT-7030), so I don't think I can blame it for the error. Hopefully this was a one-off thing, but if it happens again I'll reset the PT-7030 instead.

#3,898 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G7  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24250034

When you did the side by side test, I take it you were streaming from both devices at the same time. Do you have enough bandwidth from your ISP to support optimal streaming for both devices at the same time? I ask this because different devices handle poor bandwidth conditions differently and the Sony may do a better job of buffering than the AppleTV.

Yes...streaming at the same time. I was first streaming from the Apple ONLY and decided to do a test because it looked subpar. I'm with Time Warner Cable and have their "extreme" internet which gets me roughly 30mbs. I have ruled out the internet as a factor. If it is a factor, the S590 tackles it better than the AppleTV and Roku. That's too bad because the devices dedicated to streaming are faster. I'm just not going to get a 55" Panny VT50 ISF calibrated to sit and watch an inferior source.

I understand that Netflix streaming leaves a lot to be desired, but I at least want close to 1080p when it is not buffering. The AppleTV just never got there and I gave it time.

#3,899 ·
Hi, i have a sony bdp-s590 with the latest firmware as of today. I have got synology ds213j as my media server. While sony bluray player plays majority of the MKV files from my server, it does not play some mkv files, gives an error "unrecognized or corrupt file". I can play the same mkv files on my computer using media player without any issues, so mkv file is defenitely good. What could be wrong on sony bluray player and how do i fix it?

#3,900 ·
Sony simply does not support as many file formats as your computer does. One workaround is to use a DLNA server which will transcode the video into a format that that the player can handle. Serviio is one such.

MKV is a "container" format. It does not specify the format of the audio and video files that it contains. You need to use a utility like MediaInfo to find out exactly what formats it contains.

#3,901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanm  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3870#post_24262742

Hi, i have a sony bdp-s590 with the latest firmware as of today. I have got synology ds213j as my media server. While sony bluray player plays majority of the MKV files from my server, it does not play some mkv files, gives an error "unrecognized or corrupt file". I can play the same mkv files on my computer using media player without any issues, so mkv file is defenitely good. What could be wrong on sony bluray player and how do i fix it?

Use M2TS containers instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.