difference in audio between players? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just was wondering if there was a big difference in audio quality between players through hdmi to a receiver....is there much as long as they decode the new formats? I don't have analog hookups on my denon so that's out of the question.can anyone rec a new or older player with good sound that isn't 4-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
You might want to post in the Official "Help Me Choose" thread at the top of the page as mods will lock this one. All requests belong there. This has been discussed a lot in that thread. A search will answer your question.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=959985

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 264
^^^ But not locking, yet.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

With all due respect this clearly is an audio question...the player question is just a secondary one if any one wanted to chime in...
post #5 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If a receiver or processor is doing the decoding there should be no differences among players. It is the audio circuitry in the decoding unit that creates the differences. If you can decode in either the receiver or the player, there may be differences because of the DACs and other audio circuitry involved in the player vs. those in the receiver/processor.

post #6 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
We have talked about audio/video differences between players in that thread. Basically there are no notable differences through HDMI. There is also a dedicated audio thread for audio questions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1040061

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #7 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

If a receiver or processor is doing the decoding there should be no differences among players. It is the audio circuitry in the decoding unit that creates the differences. If you can decode in either the receiver or the player, there may be differences because of the DACs and other audio circuitry involved in the player vs. those in the receiver/processor.

Thanks Jazz...that's what I was looking for...
post #8 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

Don't confuse audio decoding with audio conversion. You can still decode HD audio in the player and send out as LPCM 7.1 to receiver via HDMI. In this case, no DAC is used in player side. So, the output audio quality will be the same.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm aware of that but most people with HDMI-capable receivers do all their decoding in the receiver and may not even be aware of alternatives.

post #10 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

I'm aware of that but most people with HDMI-capable receivers do all their decoding in the receiver and may not even be aware of alternatives.

There are many old but very good HDMI 1.1/1.2 receivers out there, not to mention that some early HDMI 1.3 receivers have many bugs decoding HD codecs (DTS bombs).
post #11 of 17 Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM

So, I would like to buy a solid AV receiver, one that supports all kinds of digital signals on its HDMI input. I am primarily interested in good sound. Do I need to buy a good, expensive Blu-ray player if I only want to use its HDMI output to connect to the receiver? Will a cheap Sony BDP-S380 do as an SACD/DVD-Audio player?

Thank you for your help and advice.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
All you would need in the way of an HDMI input/output is to make sure that it supported the current HDMI hardware spec which is 1.4. I think most BD players support that spec but it wouldn't hurt to check. The same holds true for the avr. If you don't care about video then you could probably get by with a Standard HDMI cable instead of a High Speed HDMI cable.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

All you would need in the way of an HDMI input/output is to make sure that it supported the current HDMI hardware spec which is 1.4. I think most BD players support that spec but it wouldn't hurt to check. The same holds true for the avr. If you don't care about video then you could probably get by with a Standard HDMI cable instead of a High Speed HDMI cable.

Okay, so the audio quality will depend solely on the quality of the receiver, not on the player, right?
post #14 of 17 Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The Sony BDP-S380 doesn't have support for DVD-Audio or SACD discs, HDMI or not. You'd need a player that can handle both those formats if you wanted to listen to them. Players to look at would be the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, Oppo BDP-93 and 95, Cambridge Audio 751BD, Yamaha A1010, and probably some others. Even if you're using HDMI, the player still needs to decode DVD-A (which is in MLP format on the disc) to PCM for transport over HDMI, and be able to convert DSD on an SACD to PCM, or send it as native DSD, which most players can't do.

With a receiver, you might want to track what players and receivers can natively do DSD over HDMI, if you are going to listen to a lot of SACDs. Some people prefer it to converting it to PCM (I'm not taking a position on this, as I haven't done an A-B comparison), but if you are going to use the room correction or bass management in the player or receiver, it almost certainly needs to be converted to PCM to do so.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #15 of 17 Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
^^^^^ thanks Chris. A more complete and concise answer than mine.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

The Sony BDP-S380 doesn't have support for DVD-Audio or SACD discs, HDMI or not. You'd need a player that can handle both those formats if you wanted to listen to them. Players to look at would be the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, Oppo BDP-93 and 95, Cambridge Audio 751BD, Yamaha A1010, and probably some others. Even if you're using HDMI, the player still needs to decode DVD-A (which is in MLP format on the disc) to PCM for transport over HDMI, and be able to convert DSD on an SACD to PCM, or send it as native DSD, which most players can't do.
With a receiver, you might want to track what players and receivers can natively do DSD over HDMI, if you are going to listen to a lot of SACDs. Some people prefer it to converting it to PCM (I'm not taking a position on this, as I haven't done an A-B comparison), but if you are going to use the room correction or bass management in the player or receiver, it almost certainly needs to be converted to PCM to do so.

One small quibble: of the above list of 5 current blu-ray players with rear 7.1 RCA outs and excellent sound, it is worth noting that the only one that does not play SACD and DVD-A music discs is the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 player. OTOH it's street price is the lowest of the bunch.

I own a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 player and like the sound it puts out via it's rear 7.1 RCA outs.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #17 of 17 Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

One small quibble: of the above list of 5 current blu-ray players with rear 7.1 RCA outs and excellent sound, it is worth noting that the only one that does not play SACD and DVD-A music discs is the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 player. OTOH it's street price is the lowest of the bunch.
I own a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 player and like the sound it puts out via it's rear 7.1 RCA outs.

Correct, and totally my mistake. I confused the "Premium Audio" with also including universal playback, which it does not. Scratch that from the list, which is unfortunate.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Dvd Player Bdp S380 , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bdt500 , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page