Official LG BP620/520/420/320/220 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is BP620's 3D support on the contents from USB? The manual has no mentioning on its capability of decoding any 3D contents when using USB devices (HD or flash drive). I guess it will have no problem to do HSBS and HTNB. But how about those full resolution (or full screen) formats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 10
Just got a BP620 (codefree) today through Amazon £199 chipped.
It is tiny compared to my Denon 1940 which it replaced.
Not quite as happy with dvd performance as I was at first, I was watching the twilight zone original series which is in black and white and I noticed ghosting and a background that appears to be very alive and the only pure picture is a close up.
I then tried a more modern dvd of Jackie Browne and the ghosting is there, tried a few varied region discs and same.Obviously being chipped it is regionfree out of the box.
Tried every adjustment on 620 and tv including the picture noise filter but nope
HD streaming is perfect, no ghosting.
Looks like I will have to hook up my Denon1940 as well for dvds as I have 145 episodes of the twilight zone to go .
Have no Blu-rays yet so cannot comment till next week.
The media sharing took 5 mins to set up and works well though it does get itself a bit confused when swapping between audio, photo and video files.

Anyone else had the dvd problem?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

What is BP620's 3D support on the contents from USB? The manual has no mentioning on its capability of decoding any 3D contents when using USB devices (HD or flash drive). I guess it will have no problem to do HSBS and HTNB. But how about those full resolution (or full screen) formats?

I was able to run an mkv file of the IMAX film Under The Sea with zero problems and 3D capability.

I have also been able to play .avi, .vob, .wmv files so far
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Does any one know the bugs fixed by the latest software update?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 PM

The BP620 manual claims the player supports ssa subtitles decoding when playing video via USB. But I found out it is not the case. It can not handle the position and font specified by ssa subtitle format. The player also doesn't have the UTF-8 support either although it mentions such support in the manual. I have the latest software update that doesn't have any effect on these bugs.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 AM

missing cifs/smb network share access is my #1 for not buying this BD player series.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM

just got the BP620 because it seemed to play more of the files I have then most others (avi, xvid etc). Hooked it up and it worked great. Played all of the files and was quite speedy. Today i was playing around with it and went to Netflix. It said it needed to update the software and asked to upgrade the firmware. Sure, no problem. installed the firmware and instantly everything slowed to a crawl. I went back to play some video files and it was now working so slow I thought it locked up. I tried playing the same files I played yesterday, ones which worked great, and they also were so slow I thought the system had locked up. For example, i tried loading a file then went in and made a pot of coffee, went outside and checked the pool, came back in and the video was just starting to play - only now it was choppy as tho I had a network problem.
Went into the network and checked it all out and it is fine. Made sure no other processes were using the network - everything else on the network works great. I recently got a Asus Black Diamond RT-N56U and for me, the network flies.
The only thing that has slowed to the crawl is the BP620 since it upgraded to the new firmware.
I would rather have no netflix and be able to use the dlna part. i can always watch netflix on the WII but as it is now, it seems as if I want to watch a movie via dlna on the BP620 I have to set it up -15-20 minutes ahead of time and hope it isn;t choppy.
Got a hold of LG and they are sending me the old firmware, but it is via snail mail so who knows how long that will take.
Anyone have any ideas ? loved it until i upgraded the firmware. is the only thing that changed in a 12 hour time period.
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM

That doesn't sound good, nobody else anything to add?eek.gif
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got the BP620 last night, hooked it up, upgraded firmware, everything works great.

Quick question.
I'm connecting this to an older Toshiba 36" tube TV via the composite video cables (as TV doesn't have HDMI).

When I go into player's Setup menu, under DISPLAY, it won't let me choose 4:3 ratio; I can only choose between the 16:9 ones.
When I watch a 'widescreen' movie, it shows up on my TV in fullscreen, but it's a little out of whack, like it's stretched or something.
And if I watch a 'fullscreen' movie, it's even worse.

Any idea how I can get it set to 4:3 aspect ratio?
I realize this is a temporary issue until I upgrade my TV, but that's not happening for a few months...

thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 18
just upgraded firmware to latest today. no issues with slowing down. I had read this post beforehand and was wary, but my tests since the upgrades have shown no difference.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is MediaLink available for the BP620? What about smb access, or is one forced to use DLNA to access a NAS on your own LAN?

philip
Old 07-07-2012, 09:16 AM

How do I set it up to play Region Free (mainly DVD portion.) I have a lot of DVD movies I purchased in Europe for my daughters - region 2 type. Thx.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Is MediaLink available for the BP620? What about smb access, or is one forced to use DLNA to access a NAS on your own LAN?
philip

i have played most file formats with serviio and nero media home over dnla. no direct share access like on a wd live. I am pulling from pc though, no NAS for me.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Bought a BP620 today and had all kinds of problems.

First, I updated it as soon as it asked. The interface seemed sluggish and slow to respond to inputs.

I tried to use the youtube app and it would just sit there an load forever. Dailymotion and most other apps worked fine.

Tried using it to connect to my Playon server and it wouldn't load a single thing from Hulu. Just kept saying "unable to play file" or something like that. It wouldn't play a single thing from Playon for that matter. Even tried disabling firewall on my router. My WD TV Live plays everything from Playon just fine. Thought the LG was supposed to stream DIVX. I want to replace the WD TV altogether.

Did I just get a dud? Should I return it and try another or are the Youtube and streaming issues common?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Doesn't sound like you'd want to keep it anyway. Can you exchange for another one? Not sure about compatability with Playon or DIVX. I use serviio or nero mediahome to stream and works perfectly.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear4 View Post

How do I set it up to play Region Free (mainly DVD portion.) I have a lot of DVD movies I purchased in Europe for my daughters - region 2 type. Thx.

Would like to know this as well. I have some Region 4 DVDs I'd like to watch on the BP620. Hopefully it's not one of those that can only be hacked with a chip. I've done a few before that only needed remote to unlock the region and that was a breeze.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Rather than worrying about the player, I think I'd just backup my originals in a region free format.  DVDFab or even DVDDecrpter (if the discs are older) should work just fine for a region free backp.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 PM

Just picked up the BP620. Returned a Panasonic that I'd bought because it plays .flac files, but they sound less than amazing.
The LG was so much easier to set up, and it's great that I can drop in the PAL format DVD's and watch them.
Did the software and firmware updates, with no issues.

LG 55LV5500 - TV
Yamaha RX-V673 - Receiver
LG BP620 - Blu-Ray
Sony 300 Disc CD Changer
JBL Northridge Speakers
Cerwin Vega LW12 Sub
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM

New firmware update
Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM

Anyone know how this model BP620 compare with the BD650 in picture quality, sound and 3d, I own the BD650 and I’m happy with them, I Bought this BP620 (on a good deal I only paid $100.00) but I haven’t open because in all places I read that is the same as the BD670 and the only difference is the wireless I don’t care about that because all my connections are wired.
I just want to know if the picture and sound has any improvement over the BD650 also can we be able to see the movie Thumbnails now on this Player when you use the USB Connection or is the same as the other models that we only see the yellow folders; I contact LG about the thumbnails on the 650 and they said that does not support movie thumbnails, I just wondering if they fix that on this model.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
is BP620 (420) able to pass-through DD TrueHD and DTS HD-MA during mkv and m2ts playing without downmixing via HDMI?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpro View Post

Anyone know how this model BP620 compare with the BD650 in picture quality, sound and 3d, I own the BD650 and I’m happy with them, I Bought this BP620 (on a good deal I only paid $100.00) but I haven’t open because in all places I read that is the same as the BD670 and the only difference is the wireless I don’t care about that because all my connections are wired.
I just want to know if the picture and sound has any improvement over the BD650 also can we be able to see the movie Thumbnails now on this Player when you use the USB Connection or is the same as the other models that we only see the yellow folders; I contact LG about the thumbnails on the 650 and they said that does not support movie thumbnails, I just wondering if they fix that on this model.
no thumbnails on the 620 that I can see via dnla or usb. I use serviio and it gathers the metadata and I can see on my TV using its dnla, but not the LG. I don't have knowledge of how quality compares to prior models, but I doubt it changed significantly.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peruzzi View Post

is BP620 (420) able to pass-through DD TrueHD and DTS HD-MA during mkv and m2ts playing without downmixing via HDMI?
I have played mkv files and my receiver picks it up as DD or DTS depending on the source. But only up to 5.1, not 7.1. Now I didn't encode these files myself so I don't know if the file is only 5.1 or really 7.1, or if the LG can only pass 5.1 via file playback. For bluray playback, 7.1 works flawlessly via the LG and my reciever can detect it. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjazz View Post

New firmware update
notice any differences?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM

I just bought the LG BP620. I'm having some issues with 5.1 channel audio output. I am using USB drive as source to my blue ray player.

Does the player outputs 5.1 channel audio via optical cable during MKV, MP4 playback. I have played the same video on VLC player in my PC and it showed the following channels 3F2R/LFE.

LG Player shows only 2.1 channel when i pressed the INFO/MEDIA button. I am connecting the optical output from LG player to Yamaha HTR 5840.

After all the connections i had tried I could see only L and R channel on my receiver. Any one please tell me how to output 5.1 audio from BP 620.

Is there any settings i need to do in my Yamaha HTR 5840 to receive the 5.1 channel audio. Your help will be truly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirubs2284 View Post

I just bought the LG BP620. I'm having some issues with 5.1 channel audio output. I am using USB drive as source to my blue ray player.
Does the player outputs 5.1 channel audio via optical cable during MKV, MP4 playback. I have played the same video on VLC player in my PC and it showed the following channels 3F2R/LFE.
LG Player shows only 2.1 channel when i pressed the INFO/MEDIA button. I am connecting the optical output from LG player to Yamaha HTR 5840.
After all the connections i had tried I could see only L and R channel on my receiver. Any one please tell me how to output 5.1 audio from BP 620.
Is there any settings i need to do in my Yamaha HTR 5840 to receive the 5.1 channel audio. Your help will be truly appreciated.
AFAIK the info/media menu is showing you the audio channel selected that you are listening to. And that is what the LG is outputing to your AVR so it is not the Yahama. Is there another audio track available on the file that is 3.1/2 or 5.1 that you can select using info/menu? I have not had any issues outputing DD or DTS from mkv files. But I have tried several that are only encoded with 2.1 and they show up as you described.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM

I just picked up a LG BP620 and I am very disappointed that it does not show movie thumbnails via DNLA connection to my media server. I am using Mezzmo and the LG is only showing an outlined square and the name of the movie. The name does horizontally scroll to show the full name. I have a Samsung DVD player which does show the movie thumbnails from my media server. However, the Samsungs have an issue that prevent you from using the fast-forward/rewind buttons while streaming a movie. You can only skip 10 seconds forward or backward...a real pain! It is supposedly a Samsung issue that they refuse to fix. That is why I thought I would try an LG. Happily, the fast-forward/rewind functionality is there on the LG BP620, but the movie thumbnails is probably a deal breaker and will most likely return the unit. A friend has an older LG Blu-ray (not sure of the model) and it does show the movie thumbnails from Mezzmo. Seems like LG is going backward!! Something interesting...Mezzmo auto-recognized the LG BP620 player as a "Marantz". The Marantz Mezzmo profile worked with this player, although i changed it to LG. Any connection between LG and Marantz? My hope is that LG fixes their firmware to allow movie thumbnails to work.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Thanks for your answer; That’s what I tough, I read that using Plextor, that is free and recommended in the LG manual you make a play list to play form DNLA from your Computer, the situation is that I use the LG (N1A1) 2TB NAS to stream that way I only need to have the NAS online and when I stream form the NAS I only see the yellow folders, before I was using a Seagate Home Theater + from a Hard Drive Connected on it All the Thumbnails shows up and you select the movie from the thumbnails But the other 50inch LG Plasma that was using support full screen when bought the 60PZ950 I found that does not support full screen and I see the Black lines on top and Bottom of the screen for 16.9, I stop using the Seagate and use the BD 650 from USB that support Full screen BUT Loose the thumbnails that was really neat just click the Movie Thumbnail and they Play the Movie.
I may get that serviio and try to see how work, in the meantime if I find another solution I will posted.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Error Me Bad
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Kirubs2284: Are configure the 620 already? I does not have a 620 I have a 650 but look like the configuration is the same the first thing that you configure is the Blu-ray player Output signal; And tell the Player that you are using the Toss link (optical Cable ) for audio, I assume that you are using HDMI to the TV and optical to the Yamaha since your Yamaha does not have HDMI Probably they are sending the 5.1 thru the HDMI to the TV, Depend the TV you Have you can connect the Optical from the TV OUT Optical to the Yamaha that way the 5.1 going from the 620 thru HDMI to the TV and the Audio from the TV to the Yamaha thru the Optical, I have a Yamaha 1065 and I need to go in to the configuration menu of the Yamaha and tell them the connection I use and when I watch the movie I select surround decoder on the Yamaha.
First make sure the BR are configure right, Second from the 620 remote on the RH press info and a menu with the movie information going to pop up on top left you are going to see the audio that you are pulling like Afaik said if the said 2.1 try to changed there after you do that the receiver or TV Should see it if not then you need to check the Yamaha configuration because you already know that the 5.1 signal are going out.
Hope That helps

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg , Lg Black 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bp620 , Lg Bp220 2d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv Black , Lg Bp320 2d Blu Ray Player Built In Wi Fi Black , Lg Bp520 Wifi Ready 3d Blu Ray Player Black , Lg Smart Bp420 Blu Ray 3d Video Player
Gear in this thread - Bp220 by PriceGrabber.com