Official LG BP620/520/420/320/220 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 382 Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I'm considering buying a codefree version of the BP520 player. But there's one tiny catch I stumbled over:

According to the official specs, the BP420 is capable of decoding the following audio formats:
LPCM, Dolby Digital(2ch), Dolby Digital Plus(2ch), Dolby TrueHD(2ch), DTS, MPEG 1/2 L2, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC.
DTS-HD MA is missing. But curiously the specs state as well that "LPCM Conversion (DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD)" is supported. So allegedly the player is NOT capable of decoding DTS-HD MA and outputting it over the stereo-cinch connectors, but it IS capable of decoding DTS-HD to LPCM and stream it over HDMI. Which's kind of paradox to me. I already contacted the LG support and they had no clue either.

Same goes for the BP520, but for the BP620, the audio formats it is capable of decoding are:
LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus(7.1ch), Dolby TrueHD(7.1ch), DTS, DTS-HD MA, MPEG 1/2 L2, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC
And here is DTS-HD MA included.

Which's all in all puzzling me. Do you think this could be an error in the data sheets? I don't see ANY reason in enabling DTS-HD -> LPCM conversion, but NOT enabling DTS-HD decoding. I'd like to connect an old Stereo Receiver (from 1992...) directly to the stereo-cinch connectors. It would be nice if the player itself would be capable of decoding DTS-HD MA and handing the resulting signal over to the cinch connectors.

Has anyone noticed the BP420 being able or not being able to decode DTS-HD MA internally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 382 Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 10
@jtpro... Thanks bro for your reply. It really helped and I appreciate it.
post #63 of 382 Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpro View Post

Kirubs2284: Are configure the 620 already? I does not have a 620 I have a 650 but look like the configuration is the same the first thing that you configure is the Blu-ray player Output signal; And tell the Player that you are using the Toss link (optical Cable ) for audio, I assume that you are using HDMI to the TV and optical to the Yamaha since your Yamaha does not have HDMI Probably they are sending the 5.1 thru the HDMI to the TV, Depend the TV you Have you can connect the Optical from the TV OUT Optical to the Yamaha that way the 5.1 going from the 620 thru HDMI to the TV and the Audio from the TV to the Yamaha thru the Optical, I have a Yamaha 1065 and I need to go in to the configuration menu of the Yamaha and tell them the connection I use and when I watch the movie I select surround decoder on the Yamaha.
First make sure the BR are configure right, Second from the 620 remote on the RH press info and a menu with the movie information going to pop up on top left you are going to see the audio that you are pulling like Afaik said if the said 2.1 try to changed there after you do that the receiver or TV Should see it if not then you need to check the Yamaha configuration because you already know that the 5.1 signal are going out.
Hope That helps

@jtpro... Thanks bro for your reply. It really helped and I appreciate it. Your assumption is correct. My connection is

LG BP 620 --> (via HDMI port) Sony NX 720 ( Even if we use 5.1 HDMI out from player to TV, will the TV give 5.1 audio output?? TV specs say it has 5.1 audio out but i doubt it.
LG BP 620 --> (via Digital Optical audio) Yamaha HTR 5840.

As you said i have changed the audio output setting in my LG BP620 from PCM stereo to Bitstream. It showed the following list to choose from

PCM Stereo
PCM Multichannel
DTS re-encode
Bitstream.

Now my receiver shows all the 5 channels. L,C,R,SL, SR and LFE on the display. It works like a pro only when playing directly from the blue ray disc.

I have some movies downloaded from internet which i played in VLC player and the codec says 3F2R/LFE which represents 5.1 audio. But while playing in BR player it shows only 2.1 channel.

Is there any special decoding mechanism i need to select to play them as 5.1 audio. Also i did not tell my blue ray player that i am using TSO link (optical cable).

Can we really have any option to specify in 650? Is there anyway to check if the movies downloaded from internet have 5.1 audio (even torrent says so). If so please let me know.

Thanks again.
post #64 of 382 Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donberry View Post

just got the BP620 because it seemed to play more of the files I have then most others (avi, xvid etc). Hooked it up and it worked great. Played all of the files and was quite speedy. Today i was playing around with it and went to Netflix. It said it needed to update the software and asked to upgrade the firmware. Sure, no problem. installed the firmware and instantly everything slowed to a crawl. I went back to play some video files and it was now working so slow I thought it locked up. I tried playing the same files I played yesterday, ones which worked great, and they also were so slow I thought the system had locked up. For example, i tried loading a file then went in and made a pot of coffee, went outside and checked the pool, came back in and the video was just starting to play - only now it was choppy as tho I had a network problem.
Went into the network and checked it all out and it is fine. Made sure no other processes were using the network - everything else on the network works great. I recently got a Asus Black Diamond RT-N56U and for me, the network flies.
The only thing that has slowed to the crawl is the BP620 since it upgraded to the new firmware.
I would rather have no netflix and be able to use the dlna part. i can always watch netflix on the WII but as it is now, it seems as if I want to watch a movie via dlna on the BP620 I have to set it up -15-20 minutes ahead of time and hope it isn;t choppy.
Got a hold of LG and they are sending me the old firmware, but it is via snail mail so who knows how long that will take.
Anyone have any ideas ? loved it until i upgraded the firmware. is the only thing that changed in a 12 hour time period.
Thanks.

Even i am facing this issue with my LG BP 620. After firmware update player become slow but not that slow as you had said. Player is getting stuck at times while playing from USB drive.

When player is stuck nothing is working, I mean remote power button, player power button. Only way to get rid of it is to unplug the power source. Is there anyone facing issues like this?

If this is not common I would like to get it replaced because i bought it a week ago.
post #65 of 382 Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM

Kirubs2284; Bit Stream is the correct setting or Pass thru I use Pass thru, you have to keep in mind that the Optical Cable can only pass up to DD 5.1.
Only HDMI Cable is capable of all the DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-Master signals 5.1 and 7.1
No there is no option in the 650 to check the movie.
If the movie has DD 5.1 and the BR Player is configured Wrong they are going to see only 2.1.
What you can see on the play menu at the left hand of the screen when you press info on the remote when you play the file? If you see 2.1 you can changed there up to you see 5.1.
I think that you can see the container information if you use MKV Merge I believe is the name of the software I use when you can only hear the audio no video of the MKV file, the software fixed that in couple of minutes and when you load the file you can look in the tabs and they tell you how many audio channels are when they build MKV container and the resolution was Build.
What I found in some test I make is that you can hear DD 5.1 on MP4 files. DD 5.1, DTS 5.1 or 7.1 only on MKV. Of course all this is if the encoder put the DD, DTS in the encoding process
II use as a rule of thumb for me in an MKV file if is small than 3.5 or 4GB and the resolution is 720P or 1080P most of the time they does not have DD 5.1 encoded on it, they leave that audio 5.1 out to make the file small, I try go or find over 4.5gb file size and for DTS audio try to get 1500 in audio.
post #66 of 382 Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirubs2284 View Post

Even i am facing this issue with my LG BP 620. After firmware update player become slow but not that slow as you had said. Player is getting stuck at times while playing from USB drive.
When player is stuck nothing is working, I mean remote power button, player power button. Only way to get rid of it is to unplug the power source. Is there anyone facing issues like this?
If this is not common I would like to get it replaced because i bought it a week ago.

This has happened to me once as well. Neither remote nor power button on unit itself worked - I had to unplug/replug it from AC (i.e. reboot it). Once it was rebooted, it worked fine, though. This was before most recent firmware update, though. Upgraded firmware on SAT, and so far no issues.
post #67 of 382 Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM

Hello all,

i've been thinking to buy the LG BD620 Blue ray player after the good reviews i've read about it. But i have an important question, i wanted to know if i can play 3d movies directly from the USB on the Blue ray player, as the movies are generally big in size 9~12gb and up i want to know if the Blue ray player gonna be able to play them from the USB stick so i won;t have to burn dvds all the time, putting in mind that the movie formats are in mkv..thanks.
post #68 of 382 Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Liked: 11
Got my BP620 today. Amazing player, but there's one thing which's bugging me...

While it is able to play .flac files, it apparently isn't able to play FLAC-audio which's used in .mkv videos. confused.gif

Is it possible that this issue will be fixed with a firmware update...?
post #69 of 382 Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between LG BP620 and LG BP620C? Is there any real difference between this two? Is it region free or something?

Will the BP620C play USB in NTFS format? Any help on this would be appreciated.

FYI: LG BP620C is available for $99.00 at BJs.com. LG BP620 is costing around $129.00. So if no difference why to waste money in that.
post #70 of 382 Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Liked: 13
The only difference is that the BP620C comes with an HDMI cable where the BP620 does not. The C stands for cable.
post #71 of 382 Old 08-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Liked: 18
As mediatrek said, there is no difference except the cable. The BP620C appears to be the wholesale club version. Both models support NTFS file system via USB.

I purchased the BP620C myself the other week at the same price. I think Costco and BJs had the same price, not sure about Sams.

Honestly, I don't understand the need for different model numbers unless it is a pricematch issue. They could use the same model, box, etc. and just put a sticker on it to say 'free hdmi cable included'. Free cable supports 3D BTW, as it should.
post #72 of 382 Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 AM

I've had this player about a month and when first set up, it picked up my WiFi router with no problems (asked for password etc and connected). Now if 'Fails to see network' and menu screen states 'For wireless Network, please install the router', as if there was some extra hardware involved, but not only is this unit supposed to have built in WiFi, it used it when first installed.

I don't have an option on the menu to change any WiFi settings, it's as if the player doesn't know it has WiFi.

I've tried removing the power and 'Initialise'. It came with a firmware update disc from Amazon, because this is a multi-region Blu-ray and DVD and I've tried reinstalling that update too (S/W version: BD.7.392.00.C).

Nothing has changed in my setup, router not moved etc.

- David
post #73 of 382 Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 AM

I have a BP620 and the Netflix application is not showing up. I read that it will only show up if the player is setup to US region. The manual does not say how I can check and change the region the devices is currently set to.

How can I check and possibly change the region back to US?

I suppose if there is no other option, I can always try: [OTHERS] -> Initialize -> [Factory Set]
post #74 of 382 Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM

I just loaded BD7.574.00 and now I have no audio from everything I have tried. Netflix YouTube music from pc. Video works. Anyone else get this
post #75 of 382 Old 08-11-2012, 11:34 PM

No problems with 574. You may try re-installing the firmware from a FAT32 thumb-drive after downloading it from the LG web site.

With best regards, maris
post #76 of 382 Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM

no problems here with latest firmware either.
post #77 of 382 Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question about BP220; I have a BP220 with an external Hard drive attached. The HDD has a bunch of mkvs. How do I get thumbnails to show up where the mkv is? I would like to have a cover art for each mkv that I can select and play the movie. Is this possible?
post #78 of 382 Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post

Question about BP220; I have a BP220 with an external Hard drive attached. The HDD has a bunch of mkvs. How do I get thumbnails to show up where the mkv is? I would like to have a cover art for each mkv that I can select and play the movie. Is this possible?
My BP620 does not display these. While that doesn't confirm anything for the BP220, it probably means it does not either.
post #79 of 382 Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM

Hi Everyone!

I bought bp620 yesterday. Nothing worked through USB until I updated the player.. So that's ok smile.gif But I have a problem when trying to display 3D subtitles! I've created them many many times by all instructions on the web (3D Subtitler, MkvMerge, Srt2Ass, etc). Nothing works! I spent my whole day yesterday tryin' to figure this out but just can't do it! My player displays them but very weird (sometimes there's only half of them, sometimes there are only lines,...). Did someone figure this one out? Does it have something to do with my TV (Panasonic VT50 - tv is amazing btw) when I press 3D SBS? Please help!
post #80 of 382 Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 AM

I have found a solution for you all regarding the 3d subtitles.
After you finish the convertion of the subtitles with 3D Subtitler then you open the java program inside the folder of the 3D Subtitler and you save the subtitle with the NTSC or PAL format (SD).
I am trying something better of course.
Try it guys and let me know
post #81 of 382 Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 AM

Tried that too, doesn't work frown.gif
post #82 of 382 Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adRyaN87 View Post

Tried that too, doesn't work frown.gif

Sorry to hear that mine is working perfectly.Maybe is the old firmware that i am using .
i have never updated my firmware due to cinavia issues.
post #83 of 382 Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My Denon A1-UDCI does everything nicely, but I cannot
live without my Netflix and Vudu.

So the BD390 got replaced by a Sony BDP-S590. Biggest
mistake for Netflx, as PQ is atrocious compated to the BD390.

Roku no Vudu, and I will not shell out megadough.

Love LG, nicely rated BP220, got it, so far excellent 1080i DD5.1
off Netflix, Vudu works well, extremely satisfied.

For highest quality stream (surely mentioned already): Login into
Netflix online, go to Settings>Instant Watching>Manage
Video Quality and choose Best Quality.

My system:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #84 of 382 Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 AM

I've been having an issue where the BP-620 loses internet connection from time to time, but the laptop still has connection. Mostly happens when listening to Pandora - it'll just stop and say connection lost.

Could this be router related? I'm wondering if the wireless internet connection blinks for like <5 seconds, so the laptop doesn't notice, but a streaming device like this w/Pandora crashes? Just curious if others have had similiar issues, and if replacing my router would help this.

Thanks.
post #85 of 382 Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBNet View Post

I've been having an issue where the BP-620 loses internet connection from time to time, but the laptop still has connection. Mostly happens when listening to Pandora - it'll just stop and say connection lost.
Could this be router related? I'm wondering if the wireless internet connection blinks for like <5 seconds, so the laptop doesn't notice, but a streaming device like this w/Pandora crashes? Just curious if others have had similiar issues, and if replacing my router would help this.
Thanks.
I can't speak to Pandora but I do get network drops with my router that causes other network shares to hiccup, sending me back to the choose network device. All Wifi has latency issues and perhaps the buffering on your laptop software is better than the BP-620 apps. I switched to hard wired. Now network drops are rare, if any at all.
post #86 of 382 Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Liked: 26
I just bought the BP620 player and I am unable to find any way to connect to my TVersity Media server. Maybe I am in the wrong menus but the Movie button has what looks to be a server search, but it doesn't see any of the DLNA servers on my network. Any guidance would be great!

Thanks,
MD
post #87 of 382 Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

I just bought the BP620 player and I am unable to find any way to connect to my TVersity Media server. Maybe I am in the wrong menus but the Movie button has what looks to be a server search, but it doesn't see any of the DLNA servers on my network. Any guidance would be great!
Thanks,
MD
You are looking in the right place. It lists available servers on same list as usb, dvd, bluray, etc. Serviio or nero home (included) work well. Might want to check tversity forums for compatibility. Good luck.
post #88 of 382 Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM

Hi David,
I have exact same situation of wireless not being recognized after first time.
the unit works fine with wired connection. but almost behaves, as if there is no wireless capability now!

Any pointers..
post #89 of 382 Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM

So far, I like my LG BP620 Blu-ray player. However, I seem to be having issues with it responding to commands from my Universal Remote (URC200). The remote that came with the DVD player works flawlessly However, my Universal Remote does not always control the device on the first button press. Sometimes it takes 3-5 presses before the DVD player responds. I do NOT have any similar issues with any other devices (Receiver, Panasonic Blu-ray player, Samsung Blu-ray player and my Sony DVD player). Distance from the remote to player doesn't seem to matter either....the LG just won't always respond.

The other issue I am experiencing is related to video when playing a DVD. When a scene pans from right-left or left-right. The picture seems to fold in on itself several times during the pan. The issue is hard to describe, but I guess you could describe it as a kaleidoscope. It is very annoying.

Note: The video issue happens with regular DVDs and also Blu-ray DVDs. (None of the DVDs are 3-D)
I am using the HDMI output from the player.

Is anyone experiencing either issue or know what to do about it?

(Edit: I thought I was submitting this to the "Official LG BP620/520/420/320/220 Owners Thread", but it didn't seem to make it there.)
post #90 of 382 Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Problems with Universal Remote and video issues-LG BP620

So far, I like my LG BP620 Blu-ray player. However, I seem to be having issues with it responding to commands from my Universal Remote (URC200). The remote that came with the DVD player works flawlessly However, my Universal Remote does not always control the device on the first button press. Sometimes it takes 3-5 presses before the DVD player responds. I do NOT have any similar issues with any other devices (Receiver, Panasonic Blu-ray player, Samsung Blu-ray player and my Sony DVD player). Distance from the remote to player doesn't seem to matter either....the LG just won't always respond.

The other issue I am experiencing is related to video when playing a DVD. When a scene pans from right-left or left-right. The picture seems to fold in on itself several times during the pan. The issue is hard to describe, but I guess you could describe it as a kaleidoscope. It is very annoying.

Note: The video issue happens with regular DVDs and also Blu-ray DVDs. (None of the DVDs are 3-D)
I am using the HDMI output from the player.

Is anyone experiencing either issue or know what to do about it?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg , Lg Black 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bp620 , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bp520 Wifi Ready 3d Blu Ray Player Black , Lg Smart Bp420 Blu Ray 3d Video Player , Lg Bp320 2d Blu Ray Player Built In Wi Fi Black , Lg Bp220 2d Blu Ray Player Smart Tv Black
Gear in this thread - Bp220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page