Official Onkyo BD SP809 owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hope after my search no one has already started an Onkyo BD SP809 thread.

If not having just ordered one i thought it may be good for owners to have a place to chat.

Fingers crossed its not only me lol

Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I Reviewed this one awhile back. Unless you are just matching it (for looks) with an onkyo receiver there is no other reason to own it. I did like the little blue 3D light that would pop on. Hopefully you got it for a decent price.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #3 of 42 Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the info

I tried to view your report but i am not a member ah well.

I can tell you why i choose it.

5 Star review in what hifi
THX certification
No money spent on 7.1 audio dac as i don't require that
The way the power seems set up and a decent weight to help stop vibrations
It will go with my Onkyu TX 1009
Former experiance with Denon players i discovered that they had many issues playing standard DVD disks just refussed to play. If i recall i think the model was 2910 i had 2 both failed. As did my last Pioneer player and the 55 model gets a fair bit of negative feedback with lip sync.
I have loads of stream options without needing it on the player.
My Sony 580 is noisy mechanical and since the latest firmware update liable to skip chapters.
And i got it at a decent price £400 which is over a £100 less than oppo Denon or Marantz it felt as if what i would buy with those machines dacs i never needed.

I would love to know what part you felt made it not one to own my biggest downer ws the menu screen.

Many thanks i did ask opinions before i ordered it no one came forward lol
post #4 of 42 Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Go to my homepage (click under my name) then go to page 5.

post #5 of 42 Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Going from quick memory the remote is cheap, load times like players from 2 years ago and no wifi which is a joke considering its list price. The Oppo beats it hands down for the same price. Actually so does the panny 310 for a lot less. The build qualify is all it has going for it. If they were 250 ish it might not be bad.

post #6 of 42 Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you

Wifi is not an issue for me as i use ethernet
I know the remote gets slated but will use the AV one
I feel a bit better now i was worried it was a picture sound issue to do with film but its the functions and they suit what i need.

Do you feel THX is worth nothing then that was a draw for me as my display is THX.

Also i dont use SACD disks so that is not needed i agree fully that the oppo 93 offers far more functions and at a £100 more was available, though with the Onkyo i get a 5 year warranty vs 2 years on the Oppo (included from the retailer)

The Sony 580 was the first bargain player i bought for many years and i am amazed at how well it does i really don't like the build quality and oddly i find the menu structure much like PS3 which is not something i am fond of.

I did do a lot of google checking and my guess is ether Onkyo has not sold any or owners are happy, i imagine you would agree often people only give a review if they don't like the item lol

Any way i guess if it comes and i hate it i will be able to return it, would i fancy an oppo maybe but it just does so much i dont need i would like a stripped down version less to go wrong.

I do thank you for your input when i get it i will watch a few films compare against my Sony and report if i like it.

If you do recall anything else it would be great to hear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Going from quick memory the remote is cheap, load times like players from 2 years ago and no wifi which is a joke considering its list price. The Oppo beats it hands down for the same price. Actually so does the panny 310 for a lot less. The build qualify is all it has going for it. If they were 250 ish it might not be bad.

post #7 of 42 Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You don't see any 809 reviews/threads here at AVS because most of us knew it is a glorified Funai-made BD player. (Denon DVD-3800BDCI was also Funai-made, believe it or not)

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...370&sequence=1

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...376&sequence=1

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #8 of 42 Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

Thank you i checked out the links and read some reviews of the denon 3800 many seemed happy with it apart from the issue that some would not play some movies as you see above i had this issue with Denon.

The Funai list only goes as far as the Onkyo 808 so i wonder is this still the same unit?

When i had the Denon unit i probably only got a refund because i caught the Denon rep at the store i had bought the unit from after it had been away for about 3 weeks he was convinced and i had a refund.

So i guess i will have to hope that the glorified mods include better firmaware software that alows the player better playback of all bluray.

I must admit though i am insure why it would stop review of the player, is the concensus that is is good or bad.

Great links thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

You don't see any 809 reviews/threads here at AVS because most of us knew it is a glorified Funai-made BD player. (Denon DVD-3800BDCI was also Funai-made, believe it or not)

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...370&sequence=1

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...376&sequence=1

post #9 of 42 Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

You need to remembee that you are the most important person. If you are happy that is all that matters. This player matches their new Receivers quite nicely.

post #10 of 42 Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks

I agree it is just nice to find out something about the player, until Christmas i had never joined any AV forum now i am a little hooked lol

Like most in the UK i get a cool off period so if its no use it will go back its just useful finding any short comings

Thanks

Allan
post #11 of 42 Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all

Well the Onkyo came and so far i am very pleased with it, yes it is slow loading but for me the wait is worth it. So far it has played all the disks i have tried.

Well pleased with sound and image, value for me ... Yes but my needs are few and it ticks all the boxes i required.

Cheers
post #12 of 42 Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Go to my homepage (click under my name) then go to page 5.

I completely disagree with you on the Oppo 93. I had one for 3 weeks and returned it. Why? I, unlike you, still watch DVDs that are not yet available in BD. And the Oppo 93 is just average. I am trying out a Panasonic 320, and on my Runco 50" plasma, the Panny wins. I am waiting for the Panny 500. I would have bought a Cambridge 751, but it does not offer wi-fi. I will also try the new, soon to be released HDI Dune Pro. Every review I have read, Dune beats Oppo every time.
post #13 of 42 Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

I have the Dune HD streamer and i like it very much and is of course why i did not require the extra features that many wish for fwiw the onkyo does a very good job of scale on standard dvd though of course does not offer the other features you need.

Would like to hear how you find the dune player though.
post #14 of 42 Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan0210 View Post

Hi

I have the Dune HD streamer and i like it very much and is of course why i did not require the extra features that many wish for fwiw the onkyo does a very good job of scale on standard dvd though of course does not offer the other features you need.

Would like to hear how you find the dune player though.

I would have bought the Onkyo or even a Integra, after reading What Hi-Fi also. But sadly, it lacks wi-fi, which I have to have. And it looks like the new Dune HD Pro might take a while to come out.
post #15 of 42 Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

If the Onkyo player fit all your other needs Onkyo do offer an add on wireless adapter, my Sony 580 on wireless was a bit hit and miss so i added ethernet instead. This was easy as i have sky next to my TV and i just put a switch in so i got extra sockets.

The dune so far for me streams anything i have and does it well though again i have it connected via ethernet. I have a 3tb hard drive and it shares my PC drives as well i have all my music on MP3 files and only when i get time to relax play the original disc which fwiw the onkyo is a nice sound via HDMI buy i am no longer a stereo fan i like multi channel now.
post #16 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM

So after 2 months of the BD-DP809, I must say I am happy with the quality and stability, however there are a few things that I noticed that may be of help to others. My setup is as follows, TX-NR809, BD-SP809, Samsung UN55D7000LFXZA and Playstation (slim), I also have a LG-BD390 (2D only).

I find that I prefer to watch the online services through the TV than the BD, I have both connected to the same DLINK - DAP1522 Bridge (5ghz-40mhz channel), the Samsung seems to stream at a higher bitrate (both local and internet) than the BD, the Samsung supports ARC, so I amable to experience 5.1 via online streaming. To use the BD-Live features you have to add a USB flash-drive to the rear of the unit. I use ethernet, but I guess the USB Flash would be a problem if you are using the UWF-1 for WiFi. I also find that there are many media types that the BD will not play, these of course are not a problem for the Samsung, which seems to play everything I throw at it.

One other thing I noticed is that although very stable, the BD is sensitive to disk errors. I purchased a BluRay from a closing Blockbuster store (Expendables) that has an error at around the 35/36 minute mark (not visable to the naked eye). The BD stops at that point and after a while returns to the main menu (The Playstation and LG-BD390 hesitate for a second then carry on playing).

So back to the BD. The quality of both 2D and 3D do not dissapoint, and although I am not sure if deep color is supported by the Samsung, the colors are notably deeper with the BD versus the Playstation and LG-BD809. One other adjustment I did have to perform and not sure if this is the TX-NR809 or BD-SP809, I had to set the AV sync on the AVR to 250ms to get the video in sync with the audio path.

If you are looking for quality and good looks and a matching unit for your Onkyo AVR, then you wont be dissapointed. I leaned towards this unit as I wanted exactly that, matching and quality, plus the option to go THX if I could ever afford the matching speakers.

FYI I paid $429.00 at BH Photovideo in January 2012. The first unit I received was returned as it seemed to have an intermittent output issue on the HDMI Main, which I was not experiencing on the SUB. The return process was easy and the second unit works with no problems.

So, if you are wondering, why I bought this, when I have a Playstation slim. I used to have the old Playstation (Fat) which does not support DTS Master Audio through Bitstream, shortly after I purchased the BD, the old Playstation started giving problems so therefore the new Playstation, which does support DTS Master Audio through bitsream. Would I have bought the BD-SP809, with the new playstation supporting DTS Master Audio, maybe not.
post #17 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought i would mention that my 809 also does not like any kind of fault on the disk i bought Hugo 3D and it stalled for maybe 10 seconds at maybe an hour in then started playing again.

I am still happy with the player and for a standard CD player it does very well for my taste.

If i have one thing i would have liked it would be a little more information on the front display chapter would be nice.
post #18 of 42 Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM

How does the 809 compare to the OPPO in picture and sound quality. I have a 709 receiver, and a full Energy RC setup for speakers. I want to get the best sound quality I can, as well as video quality, but not to the point of spending $1000+ on a player.
post #19 of 42 Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

Sorry never heard the Oppo i will say i like the cd and movie sound on my 809 and it works well with the onkyo amp remote. Only thing is be aware the 809 does not have many bells and whistles its an old style player not really a media streamer.

Cheers
post #20 of 42 Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Anyone own the Onkyo bd-809thx certi blu-ray player? If so how fast is it loading a movie? It cane be bought cheap now.thanks
post #21 of 42 Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I completely disagree with you on the Oppo 93. I had one for 3 weeks and returned it. Why? I, unlike you, still watch DVDs that are not yet available in BD. And the Oppo 93 is just average. I am trying out a Panasonic 320, and on my Runco 50" plasma, the Panny wins. I am waiting for the Panny 500. I would have bought a Cambridge 751, but it does not offer wi-fi. I will also try the new, soon to be released HDI Dune Pro. Every review I have read, Dune beats Oppo every time.

DVDs? What are those?

post #22 of 42 Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan0210 View Post

Just thought i would mention that my 809 also does not like any kind of fault on the disk i bought Hugo 3D and it stalled for maybe 10 seconds at maybe an hour in then started playing again.

I am still happy with the player and for a standard CD player it does very well for my taste.

If i have one thing i would have liked it would be a little more information on the front display chapter would be nice.

Still my biggest complaint was the lack of wireless at its original price point. When was its last firmware update?

post #23 of 42 Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 AM

Hello everyone !

I have a difficult question that you could answer.

Is there, today, a blu-ray player more powerful in terms of upscaling than the venerable Denon DVD-3930CI.
Some argue that the PS3 has a better picture quality than the 3930. I have the ps3 and the 3930CI and it is undoubtedly than my DVD-3930ci delivers a better picture and better sound especially!

Today, I'd buy a blu-ray player better than the 3930CI for dvd.

What do you think of the Onkyo BD-SP809 with regard to the video upscaling? The Marvell Qdeo chip of the Onkyo Sp-809 is better than the Realta HQV?

I sincerely believe that the BD-SP809 is better in terms of image quality but I suspect the DVD-3930CI is much better in audio ...

Thanks for your help.
post #24 of 42 Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can anyone help??

I have an Onkyo TX-nr509 A/V receiver and a Onkyo BD 809 bluray player. the bluray player has two HDMI outpus (Main out Sub out) is it better to have one HDMI and have the A/V receiver doing all the work or to split the audio to the receiver and video direct to the TV ???

Many thanks

Sam:)
post #25 of 42 Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLooms View Post

Can anyone help??

I have an Onkyo TX-nr509 A/V receiver and a Onkyo BD 809 bluray player. the bluray player has two HDMI outpus (Main out Sub out) is it better to have one HDMI and have the A/V receiver doing all the work or to split the audio to the receiver and video direct to the TV ???

Many thanks

Sam:)

Splitting it gives it a more pure feed but whether if its better that is debatable, try both and decide if you can see or hear a difference.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #26 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Does theOnkyo 809 Bluray Player Support Cinavia?

Panasonic VT60
Onkyo NR 807
Denon BDP3800 Blu-ray
Bowers & Wilkins (fronts)
Bowers & Wilkins (rears)
Velodyne Ct120 sub
post #27 of 42 Old 10-11-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT604me View Post

Does theOnkyo 809 Bluray Player Support Cinavia?

What does the manual say?

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #28 of 42 Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Sales and requests are not allowed in the forum areas. If wanted, please post in the classifieds.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #29 of 42 Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 AM

Hi Guys... posted the following message on another thread.  Was told in that thread that my problem is intentional from the manufacturer.  Can anyone confirm this or have another idea what my problem could be?

"OK, I'm new to the Blu-ray thing... just purchased an Onkyo BD-SP809 and hooked it up this afternoon.  I have an old TV set and when I try to play a Blu-ray disc, I get no picture.  My TV is an old Sony CRT from the 1990s with only composite and S-video hookups.  I had to use the composite connection but get no picture with a Blu-ray disc.  I do however get a picture with a standard DVD and the audio is OK with either.  I plan to upgrade to a new TV in the next 6 months and wanted to purchase some new movies hence the Blu-ray purchase.  My question is, does this sound kinda normal to you guys or do I have a setting wrong?"

Thanks all.

post #30 of 42 Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post

Hi Guys... posted the following message on another thread.  Was told in that thread that my problem is intentional from the manufacturer.  Can anyone confirm this or have another idea what my problem could be?

"OK, I'm new to the Blu-ray thing... just purchased an Onkyo BD-SP809 and hooked it up this afternoon.  I have an old TV set and when I try to play a Blu-ray disc, I get no picture.  My TV is an old Sony CRT from the 1990s with only composite and S-video hookups.  I had to use the composite connection but get no picture with a Blu-ray disc.  I do however get a picture with a standard DVD and the audio is OK with either.  I plan to upgrade to a new TV in the next 6 months and wanted to purchase some new movies hence the Blu-ray purchase.  My question is, does this sound kinda normal to you guys or do I have a setting wrong?"

Thanks all.

Hi I am in the UK and have this player, here we need hdmi for connecting and hidef image I think this is why the standard DVD works ok for you

I think the term used for the cable is handshake applying for bluray

Hope that help, love my player

Allan
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Onkyo Bd Sp809 Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page