Do all cheap blu ray players suck? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
By cheap, I mean 200 dollars or so. I have a Sony and a Samsung collecting dust - the blu-ray playback is fine - but both simply can't stream without constantly buffering. I finally plugged a computer in to my T.V, and it works like a charm over my connection (which from testing, has never gone below 15mbps).

My parents have the same Sony Blu-Ray I purchased, they have the same exact problem - now I'm thinking of getting them a computer too, but being my parents, I'd prefer to use something that's a bit simpler... Anything out there that doesn't suck? If it gets above 200 bucks, there's really no reason not to build another HTPC that'll be far more capable than a blu-ray player.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Not sure what year player you are referring to but my new Sony 2012 bdp-s590 is awesome for streaming Netflix , Hulu +, amazon vod, vudu, video unlimited and crackle.

I've tried all sorts before that. Dedicated streamer ... Roku, ...... ps3, Mac mini with xbmc, etc.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

The Sony is probably 8 months old, the Samsung 1 month old - the computers, tablets, PS3... no issues with streaming, only these two blu-ray players, my assumption is that they have such cheap processors and so little memory, that they just don't do well at streaming...
post #4 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post

The Sony is probably 8 months old, the Samsung 1 month old - the computers, tablets, PS3... no issues with streaming, only these two blu-ray players, my assumption is that they have such cheap processors and so little memory, that they just don't do well at streaming...

samsung players are the worse.. try an panasonic 2011 or 2012 model.

Jacob
post #5 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

samsung players are the worse.. try an panasonic 2011 or 2012 model.

Jacob

I'd like to, since I love my panasonic T.V, but the one I bought that I thought supported Hulu turned out not to, and I've had a bit of trouble tracking down a model that does have Hulu streaming...
post #6 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I have a cheap Sony=$129.00 & a Sammy=$109.00 ( both 2 years old ) had that problem as well on both units but when I stuck a 2GB thumb drive ($5.00)on the rear ports on each of them the problem went away instantly . NetFlix streamed as good as my HTPC .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #7 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
My 2 "cheap" Sony blu ray players don't seem to have that problem... What models did you have that were so bad?

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #8 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I have a cheap Sony=$129.00 & a Sammy=$109.00 ( both 2 years old ) had that problem as well on both units but when I stuck a 2GB thumb drive ($5.00)on the rear ports on each of them the problem went away instantly . NetFlix streamed as good as my HTPC .

Hmmmm, I got some USB sticks, that's worth a shot, thanks.

What models do I have? Good question - they're both new enough to have 802.11n and 3D capabilities... I'm not home right now, so...
post #9 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post

By cheap, I mean 200 dollars or so. I have a Sony and a Samsung collecting dust - the blu-ray playback is fine - but both simply can't stream without constantly buffering. I finally plugged a computer in to my T.V, and it works like a charm over my connection (which from testing, has never gone below 15mbps).

My parents have the same Sony Blu-Ray I purchased, they have the same exact problem - now I'm thinking of getting them a computer too, but being my parents, I'd prefer to use something that's a bit simpler... Anything out there that doesn't suck? If it gets above 200 bucks, there's really no reason not to build another HTPC that'll be far more capable than a blu-ray player.

Thanks!

When you buy the best, you are rarely disappointed. IF you're having bad luck with cheap BD players, spend more~!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
My cheap samsung bd-d550 does the job. Great PQ (connected to a sammy plasma) and flawless bitstreaming audio to my AVR.

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

post #11 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I ended up with an extra $30 after selling the 3D Avatar Blu-Ray I got with Panny BDT110. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD, & YouTube stream without ever buffering.

post #12 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

When you buy the best, you are rarely disappointed. IF you're having bad luck with cheap BD players, spend more~!

No, not these days. You can get great players for ~$150. Really great players. I suspect the problems were internal network and Wifi related.

I was using a PS3 for years, but I believe the new 2012 BD Sony's are even better .. if you are just interested in Streaming and BD/DVD. Even the very very cheap S390.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Did you change any settings or just insert the thumb drive?
post #14 of 29 Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Glad I found this thread!

We have a Samsung Blu-ray player that is barely a year-and-a-half old that has 'wireless network connectivity' capability. We got it to replace another Samsung player that we gave away.

This thing is pathetic, to stream a program through it (or perhaps I should say 'attempt' to stream something through it...) means waiting at least five minutes from the time you turn the unit on until the time the streamed program actually starts playing (usually Netflix) That, is of course, if it starts at all... we actually plugged a network cable into it even though it has the wireless capability. We were just so exasperated with how long it took to work. We have frequently checked the network settings and software updates to see if there is something wrong but no, that is just the way these Samsung Blu-ray players seem to work.

We purchased an Apple TV at the end of last summer and we're completely astounded with the speed of the Apple TV. Honestly, if we turn on the Samsung (BD-D6100C) Blu-ray and go through the interminable wait times to attempt to watch something like Netflix through streaming, it can easily take five minutes before the program starts. Frequently, the program fails to initialize and we have to exit the process and in some cases, turn off the Blu-ray player and restart it.

In contrast, the Apple TV goes from 'off' to starting a program in less than a minute... and... wait for it... it's wireless! The Apple TV also has nowhere near the 'glitchiness' of the Samsung Blu-ray player.

Our download speed on the computer (wireless) indicates a speed of better than 37 Mbps -so I'm fairly certain it's not our internet smile.gif

Luckily, the local electronics big box co. has agreed to replace our Onkyo receiver which failed under warranty and the only reason we have been using the Samsung to 'try' and watch streaming programs was we needed an HDMI input for the Apple TV to feed and the Technics home theatre system we're temporarily using does not have HDMI connections.

Based on this, I would not buy any further Samsung electronics. If I didn't know better, I'd think Samsung was doing a side business in trying to steer people away from streaming/downloading and back to Cable/Satellite TV subscription services. smile.gif
post #15 of 29 Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My $80 Sony BD player works perfectly fine. I've never attempted to even use the streaming as I have no need for it. The streaming on my TV is the easiest to work with. So I simply use the cheap BD player to watch non-3D blurays.

post #16 of 29 Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Some of the older Sony players supported the higher speed 5GHz speed, some don't. Also, the network antennas in the players got smaller which means poorer reception. That could be the problem.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #17 of 29 Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoglyph View Post

Based on this, I would not buy any further Samsung electronics. If I didn't know better, I'd think Samsung was doing a side business in trying to steer people away from streaming/downloading and back to Cable/Satellite TV subscription services. smile.gif

I too believe it is a network issue. There are several things that could go wrong. Your Internet speed can be fine, and you can still have issues streaming.

If other streaming devices are working fine, I would check placement of the player, placement of the router (higher is generally better), distance between router and player, is the router set to "N" only (as opposed to G&N), is the player N capable, etc. Have you tried un-plugging the player and plugging it back in? Our ROKU works fine wirelessly, but occasionally we have to reboot it because it can buffer (like last night). Luckily that doesn't happen often. You can try rebooting the router also.

Having said that, most of us aren't really interested in troubleshooting electronics. For $50 you can get a ROKU whose only job is to stream.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #18 of 29 Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Thanks for that suggestion leebo. I just switched my router to "Up to 150Mbps N only. Like photo, I've had a few buffering issues with my Samsung BD-D5700 and hope this fixes the issues. While I recently moved it from downstairs to our bedroom upstairs I experienced the same problem when trying to stream. My Vizio actually did a better job, but it stopped playing the apps and I ended up returning it to Costco. It is unfortunate that I have to do a hard reset every so often. Really hope your suggestion fixes my problem. Thanks again.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 AM

I completely agree with you, leebo. Having been forced to go back to using the Samsung 'Smarthub' feature on the Bluray player to watch streaming flicks while awaiting the warranty disposition on our Onkyo receiver has only served to remind us how archaic it all seems... I told my brother that Smarthub streaming uses Samsung technology from the 70's. smile.gif

I cannot see why anyone would bother using it. Roku or Apple TV are the way to go.

I've seen posts where some have talked about happy they are with Smarthub functionality through their Samsung TV's and if that works for them, great. But our wireless capable Samsung Bluray is actually hard-wired to our router via ethernet cable and still takes minutes for a program to commence once initiated and in contrast, our wireless Apple TV is near instantaneous at streaming.

I see the downside as something that would really turn off younger people getting into streaming/downloading programs due to the wait times.
post #20 of 29 Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM

I use a cheap Philips and I'm very satisfied. I see no reason and evidence that only expensive players are the better ones. I use a Philips BDP7700. This player was also an award winner, so I can really recommend it.
post #21 of 29 Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM

I hear you. We bought one of the dual screen Phillips BD players for the car and it works like a champ. My wife sits in the back on long trips with our preschooler and we've had no complaints. Before my upstairs BD died(or the apps stopped working I was using a Vizio and had no complaints there(even though folks have to hate it for not being a name brand). Up until I returned it the BD player worked fine. Which makes me wonder if it is the apps that are causing the issues and not the players themselves?
post #22 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Thanks, all of our connection are hard-wired, router to player, etc. I think it is a problem with the Samsung software. My wife was watching 'Poirot' on Netflix last night and the unit seems to be getting worse with more frequent glitching, the program will abruptly stop for a microsecond and resume -it does this quite frequently. It also lurches forward then back, time-wise. Very annoying.

I think our intent is to just use it for viewing Bluray discs as Samsung does not seem to have a viable streaming platform. Certainly not at the level of other companies, anyway.
post #23 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 01:11 PM

The more and more I read though, this doesn't seem to be just a Samsung issue. My Vizio's apps stopped working and it was the same thing when I called up their customer service, "Well, the blu-ray still works right? So just use it to watch movies." I've read about other players having the same issues, which is why I think it is the apps and not whether things are hard-wired or wireless. All of my other wireless devices work fine and I'm fortunate to leave in Microsoft country.
post #24 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoglyph View Post

Our download speed on the computer (wireless) indicates a speed of better than 37 Mbps -so I'm fairly certain it's not our internet smile.gif

37Mbps!!! Cripes, we only get 5Mbps in Hawaii with Time Warner (Road Runner)... if we upgrade to Turbo, we get 7 Mbps. Some areas have fiber, and they only get 20Mbps.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #25 of 29 Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Samsung actually issued a software update today... though my first impression is that it does not look any different -certainly from a 'speed' viewpoint. As soon as my banana plugs arrive for my speaker connections, I will install the new receiver and we will go back to using the Apple TV for streaming.
post #26 of 29 Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 PM

We switched to Charter internet last summer -had no interest in Charter cable packages. We had been with AT&T for five years and never got the service we paid for... we did not appreciate that AT&T had raised out price from $24.95 to $44.95 per month -we were paying for 6 Mbps and barely got 3.5 Mbps. AT&T does not understand customer service which helped in our decision. We are guaranteed 30 Mbps from Charter but frequently clock higher, suspect it's because of our proximity to a large downtown urban area and largely fiber optic networks locally.
post #27 of 29 Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Yeah, I just did a speed test on ours, here's my results. I'm actually wondering if we need to switch out our modem and wireless router though? Been a bit spotty and I've done all I can on my end.

post #28 of 29 Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 PM

The Modem/router you have may be limiting your speeds, especially if they are older units, perhaps?
post #29 of 29 Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 PM

You are probably right photo. Just got off the phone with Comcast and apparently they are phasing out the wireless routers and going to the wireless gateway's? So I'll take in my equipment and switch things out the next day or so. Knock on wood things will continue to work until I do that. On the Samsung front, just had to do a hard reset on my player because I couldn't get Netflix to pull up. Long story shorter, none of the apps were loading up and even though I was connected to my network Smart Hub kept telling me I wasn't. Horrible customer service, call hung up while I was waiting for a supervisor. In the meantime everything started loading up, then as I was speaking with a supervisor the hub started updating. She had me pull up youtube and play something, which brings up a question. Why are there the same images side by side? Does anyone know how to get rid of that? Anyway, looks like Samsung had some network issues that the CSR didn't know about. I swear the more I speak with the different CSR the more I think they are all connected to the same hub(outsourced)rolleyes.gif
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page