BDP-93 Replacement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I read something about a replacement for the BDP-93 coming sometime this summer? Is there any news on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No news, no announcements, not even any credible rumors. Also particularly important is: no list of possible new features that would justify the creation of a new hardware platform.

Consider that while there are many minor improvements in the BDP-93 over the 83, the two "selling points" were 3D and streaming video services (Netflix). Oppo waited until there were two upgrades of this magnitude before releasing a new hardware platform before, and we've had an Oppo wishlist thread going on for months and nobody's come up with even one feature of that magnitude that could be applied to a hypothetical 93 successor.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

"and we've had an Oppo wishlist thread going on for months and nobody's come up with even one feature of that magnitude that could be applied to a hypothetical 93 successor."

There are alot of features in that thread that are of magnitude

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1365649
post #4 of 25 Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

There are alot of features in that thread that are of magnitude

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1365649

I guess that's a matter of opinion. Although I honestly didn't think anyone would take issue with my assessment. Sure, there's lots of things listed in that thread, but IMO they are all either very little things (relative to 3D or streaming services) or things that don't require a new hardware platform at all (e.g. 4K upscaling et al)
post #5 of 25 Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

No news, no announcements, not even any credible rumors. Also particularly important is: no list of possible new features that would justify the creation of a new hardware platform.

Consider that while there are many minor improvements in the BDP-93 over the 83, the two "selling points" were 3D and streaming video services (Netflix). Oppo waited until there were two upgrades of this magnitude before releasing a new hardware platform before, and we've had an Oppo wishlist thread going on for months and nobody's come up with even one feature of that magnitude that could be applied to a hypothetical 93 successor.

Well said! A 95 guy here, Oppo is providing useful firmware upgrades & listens to feedback from us, the end-users. The 93 & 95 are wonderful source components; when kept in proper perspective, they are 'must auditions' at their price points.

Steve
post #6 of 25 Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess that's a matter of opinion. Although I honestly didn't think anyone would take issue with my assessment. Sure, there's lots of things listed in that thread, but IMO they are all either very little things (relative to 3D or streaming services) or things that don't require a new hardware platform at all (e.g. 4K upscaling et al)

Reading your posts now I understand your opinion, you must of thought that it did not make sense for oppo even to go from 83 to 93. I would'nt worry the 93 as well as the 83 will be supported for a long time. If oppo releases a new blu ray player you have the choice not to buy it although it would be hard to resist
post #7 of 25 Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Reading your posts now I understand your opinion, you must of thought that it did not make sense for oppo even to go from 83 to 93. I would'nt worry the 93 as well as the 83 will be supported for a long time. If oppo releases a new blu ray player you have the choice not to buy it although it would be hard to resist

Not at all--in fact I wondered what took them so long to release a new player after the 83 (I'd have been happy with one major improvement, such as BDP-83+Netflix without 3D). It's not that I don't see improvements that could be made, it's that I think those improvements have to reach a certain threshold before they justify the expense of creating and supporting a whole new hardware platform.

My personal opinion of what I'd buy doesn't enter into it. Would I buy a BDP-93 with IVTC, 720p24 upscaling without telecine judder, voice controls, gapless playback, improved network media support, and a web interface? Quite possibly. But I simply don't think Oppo would make one, and that's based on their past behavior, not on whether I want those features or not. They wait for more significant changes, and I can't blame them for it. We're also in an area of diminishing returns as the market matures, so the waits between models may very well get longer.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Spoke to someone at Oppo last week. Expect the 93 replacement to be announced/launch in Q3 2012.

Unfortunately, no information on new features/specs.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just keep in mind whatever replaces the BDP-93 will have Cinavia unlike the BDP-93...

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #10 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Just keep in mind whatever replaces the BDP-93 will have Cinavia unlike the BDP-93...

Is the the cinavia water mark only effected in copied versions & not the original?
post #11 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the the cinavia water mark only effected in copied versions & not the original?

No, the Cinavia watermark is even in the audible spectrum of the original soundtrack on the store-bought Blu-ray. If a player detects a copy of that disc and supports cinavia, it will stop playback.

Some people may feel this is a fair-use violation (as not even a camcorder on a tripod recording the BD for educational purposes will work here) - or simply may not want their soundtrack polluted with a watermark in the audible spectrum. Luckily, in my signature you can see the list of movies that have this watermark. A good guideline is to avoid purchasing most Sony new releases.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #12 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodL View Post

Spoke to someone at Oppo last week. Expect the 93 replacement to be announced/launch in Q3 2012.

Unfortunately, no information on new features/specs.

What can be improved i.e. PQ on blu ray disc? The player has most of the features already. With new FW there are less features. Some feel that this will be the last spin disc player as for improvements.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If we told you, that would spoil the fun.

Oppo Beta Group
post #14 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

If we told you, that would spoil the fun.

Not really. I want to know so I can decide if waiting for the new features are worth it to me, or I should just purchase the 93 now.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:

Not really. I want to know so I can decide if waiting for the new features are worth it to me, or I should just purchase the 93 now.

Live large, buy now!
Sell later if new offering is that appealing to you. Oppos hold their value so you won't take a bath should you decide to sell.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #16 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Actually I wasn't responding to your OP but the preceding post concerning "What can be improved i.e. PQ on blu ray disc?"

Until something is announced its as good as any time to get a 93 or 95 depending on your needs.

Oppo Beta Group
post #17 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Sort of related question. I have an 83 but I want to add 3D capability. I need the player to decode hidef codecs and pass to my processor but I use an external video processor so I prefer source direct.

What do I lose by buying a cheap 3D panny player for 3D disks and using my 83 for all others? If the replacement unit is out later this year I could upgrade then if it is worth it. Do I lose anything in picture quality not using the Oppo and will sound be noticeably inferior with a high end audio system if I use the Panny?
post #18 of 25 Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Sort of related question. I have an 83 but I want to add 3D capability. I need the player to decode hidef codecs and pass to my processor but I use an external video processor so I prefer source direct.

What do I lose by buying a cheap 3D panny player for 3D disks and using my 83 for all others? If the replacement unit is out later this year I could upgrade then if it is worth it. Do I lose anything in picture quality not using the Oppo and will sound be noticeably inferior with a high end audio system if I use the Panny?

The OPPO 83 is/was a good player. Nothing lives forever, but hang on to it?

Not that I'm against OPPO as I own an older OPPO DVD unit and have also given one as a gift, but I personally plan to buy a soon to be released 2012 Panny 500 unit (7.1 RCA out and roughly $300 street price) as it will cost less than an OPPO 93 and likely offer faster load times and likely have better PQ and SQ.

In my mind there are several downsides to paying big bucks for any current blu-ray player:

1. These things (blu-ray players) continue to change/improve rapidly.

2. So newer models seriously put to rest any resale value of an older unit. With some exceptions...

Temporary blips being copy protection stuff like the blu-ray dumbnut people decreeing that ISO file playback will not be allowed on future firmware OPPO updates. Odds are this is why the OPPO 95 is currently selling above it's list of $1,000?

3. The whole copy protection thing that one buys into with any blu-ray player, most recently Cinavia.

See AVS thread on an interesting and in-depth article on Cinavia at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1401395

Also one poster in this thread has it in his tag as Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs!

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #19 of 25 Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

The OPPO 83 is/was a good player. Nothing lives forever, but hang on to it?

Not that I'm against OPPO as I own an older OPPO DVD unit and have also given one as a gift, but I personally plan to buy a soon to be released 2012 Panny 500 unit (7.1 RCA out and roughly $300 street price) as it will cost less than an OPPO 93 and likely offer faster load times and likely have better PQ and SQ.

In my mind there are several downsides to paying big bucks for any current blu-ray player:

1. These things (blu-ray players) continue to change/improve rapidly.

2. So newer models seriously put to rest any resale value of an older unit. With some exceptions...

Temporary blips being copy protection stuff like the blu-ray dumbnut people decreeing that ISO file playback will not be allowed on future firmware OPPO updates. Odds are this is why the OPPO 95 is currently selling above it's list of $1,000?

3. The whole copy protection thing that one buys into with any blu-ray player, most recently Cinavia.

See AVS thread on an interesting and in-depth article on Cinavia at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1401395

Also one poster in this thread has it in his tag as Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs!

good luck getting anything fixed with the panasonic models. they never fixed the blacking out problem on netflix and they never fixed the t2:skynet problem. unlike the oppo company where you get a quick response about important matter in the matter of hours or days. it might cost more to get the oppo but with the service like that. Its worth it.

oppo recently fixed the netflix 720P bug that makes it much better. I know that I am not alone in the whole ISO thing. that I dont care.

Jacob
post #20 of 25 Old 03-27-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

...it might cost more to get the oppo but with the service like that. Its worth it.

Totally agreed on OPPO's excellent service.

Quote:

oppo recently fixed the netflix 720P bug that makes it much better. I know that I am not alone in the whole ISO thing. that I dont care.

The "whole ISO thing" is a blu-ray people copy protection thing so far as I know.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #21 of 25 Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

if you are not happy with the oppo 93. I doubt that you will be happy with any other player.

Jacob

It seems to me that the 95 was designed with this very thought in mind.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I will only get another Oppo 93 if a modied upgrade kit for a linear power supply is available.

A linear power supply is another hardware feature oppo could have to differentiate themselves from other Blu ray players
post #23 of 25 Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

A linear power supply is another hardware feature oppo could have to differentiate themselves from other Blu ray players

Yes, but linear power supply for the video (not audio as in the 95's Rotel). I am trying to start a group buy (at least 5) for Dr. Lee's upgrade kit for the 93. I pm'd Mark Rubin if it is ok.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Please stay on topic. This isn't a debate thread on the OPPO 93 Vs.... It's a thread to discuss what the upcomming models (maybe) replacing the OPPO 93.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #25 of 25 Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM

Liked: 43
I have an 83SE and have been well pleased but I can't wait to audition the new players when they debut. I'm running a cheap Panny for 3D, and the sound suffers. I've seen the Q3ish launch for the next gen players quoted from Oppo's Facebook postings. Nov 2012 will be the latest according to that source.

That said, I must agree that dropping a lot of coin into these devices is not the wisest thing to do -- 4K is looming -- who knows what will happen with 3D (but I expect it to last). Compared to the uber players Oppos are cheap, that is how I rationalize it.

So that's what I have -- Nov 2012 at the latest -- zero details about the player(s).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page