Blue Ray for PC to TV viewing- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a non-techie w/ques. I do Not have a blue-ray player and noticed that new ones offer "wi-fi" connectivity and other new features/uses. Would a new BR player solve my problem of taking available PC content and SENDING it to my HD LCD TV for viewing??? I figure I might have to get a new video card or such for my PC, but I am really clueless (honest, at least, lol). I figure if I'm going to buy a blue ray now, get the one that will do the most. I def need guidance and very much appreciate your help.
Please advise in the simplest terms you can (ha) and I will do my best to understand. Again, wanting to send PC content (from sites AND DVD's) to my tv, simplest way. Perhaps the new Blue-Ray players would be the way. THANK YOU.

the impossible happens everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 361
The simplest way is to cable your computer directly to the TV (or AVR). To do that, your computer has to have audio and video output connections which are compatible with your TV or AVR: VGA and analog audio connections often are available. Many modern computers have HDMI or Display-Port outputs which can be used with HDMI adapter cables.

Network connections are more complicated because you have to install some kind of Media Server software on the computer which is compatible with whatever software is provided in the BD player, TV or AVR. Many support DLNA protocols.

Selden
post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Selden, thanks for the advice. You didn't say if the Blu-Ray question was viable and I don't know some of your abbreviations, sorry. BD, AVR and dlna. Please let me know, I'm def a novice as I posted. THanks.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Whether or not a Blu-ray player can access a home networked media server should be mentioned in its user manual.

AVR = Audio Video Receiver. It's a device which can take audio and video signals from many different kinds of players (Blu-ray players, CD players, Cable boxes, over-the-air and satellite radio, etc) to drive display devices (TV, projector, etc) and a surround-sound speaker system.

Many (but not all) modern AVRs include USB and network connections and can access a home networked media server as well as Internet entertainment services, as do many Blu-ray players.

BD = Blu-ray Disc

DLNA = Digital Living Network Alliance. They're an organization which has defined a standard for transmitting audio, video and pictures from media servers (including smartphones) to DLNA-certified output devices. DLNA media server software packages are available for computers. Some are free and some are commercial.

Selden
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, now I understand better, thanks for explanation. I will take your advice and go to a store and get the necessary cables, etc. I appreciate the help, I do manage to get proper equipment and use it, there is just a learning curve since I don't do it a lot. I def want to buy a Blu-Ray player, my tv would support the better picture. Thanks again Selden!

post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

You're very welcome.

What TV do you have? Some of the new ones include a network connection. Some have USB or memory-card slots (as are used by digital cameras). If it has USB, you might try putting a movie on a thumb drive. Check the manual to see what formats it can play, of course.

Selden
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page