Need help picking a Yamaha Blu-ray Player!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last year I bought a Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray player at Magnolia/Best Buy. It was originally (2008) priced at $1,200 but, because it was a display unit on closeout, and a first-gen Blu-ray player, they sold it to me for $49.00!

It lasted just about a year, until this week, it started to have issues - couldn't recognize discs, saying they were either incompatible or that there was a copyright violation.

Yamaha has agreed to replace the unit with another BD-S2900, but they also said that if I preferred to upgrade to a newer/current unit, they would look into giving me a good price. They just need to know first which unit I'd be interested in.

I checked the Yamaha website and they list the following Blu-ray players:

- BD-A1010 ($499.95)
- BD-A1000 ($699.95)
- BD-S1900 ($699.95)
- BD-S1065 ($599.95)
- BD-S671 ($329.95)
- BD-S667 ($329.95)

First, even after trying to "compare" the units, I have no idea a) what the real differences are (most of the info is gibberish to me) and b) what to look for in a player. I also don't know which machine, if any, is the "successor" to the BD-S2900, and which units are this year's models, last year's models, etc...

I'd really appreciate some feedback on the real differences between these six units, which ones to consider (and why), which ones to avoid (and why) and what features I should be looking for in a Blu-ray player. I know that the S2900 does not do BD-Live, and I'd like a machine that does, and I'd also like really good audio features.

Of course, if, for some reason, it makes sense to choose another S2900 instead of one of the newer units (assuming I could even afford the upgrade) please let me know!!)

The receiver I will be pairing the unit with is a Yamaha RX871.

Thank you VERY much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's a good read on the BD-A1010 player with some references to some of the older players.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1351534

You will also find links to a review or two of this player that might help your decision.

Good luck,

Chuck

"The Ginky Weeds" Theater Design and Construction Thread
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Yamaha Bd S2900 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page