Panasonic DMP-BD87 - first impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Does anyone have one of the new Panny models, like the BD77 or BD87? I'm mostly interested their "ultra fast boot" feature, which claims faster time from power-on to drawer open, and a faster time from drawer close to play. Does anyone have any real-life numbers?

FWIW, I'm just looking for a bare-bones 2D BD player with fast load / play times. I don't need any other fancy features. I'm happy to pay more, but if folks are having good experiences with one of these low cost models and they appear to be fast, then I'd love to hear it.

I should add that this is all assuming that the "ultra fast boot" feature is exclusive to the BD77/87. If this same feature / load time performance exists in the higher priced models (e.g. BDT220), I'd really like to know that. If that's the case, then I'll probably just order a BDT220 as it's not that much more.

Thanks,
Bryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not sure about the 220 but 320 is supposed to be.

Quote:
Always mindful of the impact on the environment, the 2012 models are Energy Star Qualified. Additionally the DMP-BDT320 features the Smart Eco Sensor, which detects the user's movement and switches to the quick start mode (boot time approximately 0.5 seconds) automatically. When one is within16 feet of the player it is in ECO mode, using approximately 0.1 watts. When motion is detected within 16 feet the player turns on the quick start mode (approximately 3.2 watts). The new slim design cuts down on packaging, thereby saving on paper and allowing more players to be placed on a pallet, resulting in less trucks and fuel being used.

linky

post #3 of 27 Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Not sure about the 220 but 320 is supposed to be.

linky

Thanks. I did see this as well, but wasn't clear if that was a statement on power consumption or ultra-fast boot. Part of my problem / confusion is that I'm still not clear whether ultra-fast boot is simply a power consumption trade-off or something else...

In any case, I decided to just go ahead and order the BD87; I'll post back once I get it and can check out its loading speed.

Bryan
post #4 of 27 Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
It's certainly a power consumption trade off. That's exactly how it's implemented. Keep player on all the time in reduced power mode. Not exclusive to this player or Panasonic for that matter.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The problem is no matter how fast the player turns on or wakes up, actually loading a disc is still going to be slow due to java and all the other crap that comes with blu-ray. It will probably be many more years before drive speeds and processing power improve to the point that BD loads as fast as DVD.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-20-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Finally got the unit and got it installed in my rack. In a nutshell, I'm very pleased with this BR player, given what I was looking for, which is a bare-bones player with fast response times.

One thing I love is that the drawer actually opens when you want it to -- my old Onkyo would have to think about it for ~15 seconds. The BD87 will open the drawer to full-open, whether asleep or playing a disc, in about 4.1 seconds.

With the disc in the open drawer, hit Play and here are the accumulated times (for The Matrix in this case):
- to the FBI warning: 21 secs
- to the Warner Brothers splash: 35 secs
- to playing the movie: 76 secs

I measured up the unit, sent the dims to Middle Atlantic, and had them do a custom faceplate for it. Since the Power and Open/Close buttons are on the top, it has to stick through the faceplate by about a 1/2". Some folks might not like how it sticks so far out, but I don't mind it and it's easy for my wife to find the right buttons easily.

Sorry, I know this is not a thorough review, but just focused on what I was looking for -- faster load times than I was getting. Hope this helps some folks.

Bryan
post #7 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

Finally got the unit and got it installed in my rack. In a nutshell, I'm very pleased with this BR player, given what I was looking for, which is a bare-bones player with fast response times.

One thing I love is that the drawer actually opens when you want it to -- my old Onkyo would have to think about it for ~15 seconds. The BD87 will open the drawer to full-open, whether asleep or playing a disc, in about 4.1 seconds.

With the disc in the open drawer, hit Play and here are the accumulated times (for The Matrix in this case):

- to the FBI warning: 21 secs

- to the Warner Brothers splash: 35 secs

- to playing the movie: 76 secs

I measured up the unit, sent the dims to Middle Atlantic, and had them do a custom faceplate for it. Since the Power and Open/Close buttons are on the top, it has to stick through the faceplate by about a 1/2". Some folks might not like how it sticks so far out, but I don't mind it and it's easy for my wife to find the right buttons easily.

Sorry, I know this is not a thorough review, but just focused on what I was looking for -- faster load times than I was getting. Hope this helps some folks.

Bryan

Hi Brian,

I bought the BD871 from walmart, my first player was the dmp bd601k and I was satisfied with that player The only reason i updated to the 85 and got a sony BDP s570 for the bedroom was to try streaming such as netflix. After a couple years of messing with that stuff, i decided it wasn't cracked up to be everything it advertises at least for me.

So the 871 was a nice 2 year later upgrade from my original 601 player without wasted money like the sony and 85 resulted in just to try features i ended up never really using in the end.

As far as sony goes, they package their players in a way that if you need something the 2D player doesn't have you're forced to buy a 3d one which i was..

My 2012 upgrade was the 590 from sony so i could have a few of the extra media related features. the 390 didn't have.

I posted on the other panasonic thread for the bd310 that i'm holding off on a 3d setup until i'm sure it won't cause long term health risks for me, i have some unique circumstances, most here don't.

Bottom line is, in the end, blu-ray became an upgraded DVD player for me, with the additional feature of blu-ray disc, and local media playback, and firmware updates online.

The rest is moot, and would end up be a wasted investment for me. I think this particular player is a nice solid fast player, it's even faster then the sony wink.gif

I also didn't buy the 320 because i prefer tray loaders, the drives are usually more reliable and they have the added benefit of playing the mini discs too.

the 220 is a try loader, but it's a 3d compatible player so it would give me stuff i wouldn't use, and it's last years model I figure after 2 years it was worth buying the current model for both players i had to get through 2 more years smile.gif
post #8 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I just thought I'd post another thing I enjoy about this player, that I just discovered.

On most DVD, and early blu-ray players, in order to hear the DTS track on DVD discs, the player would have to be connected to some form od digital out to a digital in. On this new panasonic, I have the added benefit of being able to hear DTS tracks on my DVDs through the stereo RCA outs, to my sound bar. This is nice because i can enjoy dts in virtual surround via the sound bar without a digital connection.

Prior to this player, I would either have to listen to the DTS track via HDMI out TV speakers, or the optical out to the optical in on the sound bar. Since i had issues with optical audio on the bd 85 on audio cd playback and a few other things. This is nice. It makes things much easier on me without having a big fancy setup smile.gif

The video quality on my 2009 Panasonic plasma is great too, it doesn't have all the fancy tweaks, the 85 has in addition to the standard ones, but I didn't even notice much difference with those.

Actually, I think the video quality looks better, on the new player in comparison. I've tried numerous SD sources, as that's where the main differences showed up in source material, and output.

So i'm pleased. I don't miss pandora on this player, i have it on my iphone and i have a nice table top sony stereo with an ipod dock i can dock the phone in and listen to pandora. Amazon video is present on the sony, so if i want it i can use it there. but since i don't use streaming services all that much anymore it's not a deal breaker.

Usually if i liked a show/movie on streaming, i'd buy it on disc. I like local media better. eliminates relying on the internet to watch content, and hysical media is almost always better quality anyway.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 AM

Liked: 10
We received one of these with a TV promotion. My spouse liked the idea of a dedicated player since we now use a laptop with embedded Intel wireless link. The laptop works well, but she can’t surf and watch a DVD at the same time. So since it was free, she asked me to hook it up.

The fast boot feature is only for turning on, it doesn’t seem to have any effect on the time to load the BD or DVD. It only saves 30 seconds on startup, can’t imagine why that 30 seconds is worth all the extra electronics (standby power settings, motion sensor) , but to each his own.

Why I am commenting is that when I first hooked up the unit with HDMI, I received an initial Blue Ray splash screen, a nice white screen with a blue graduated bar, and then black. The display on the player shoed "setup" but nothing on the TV.

From another thread I found out that the native resolution on the HDMI was not compatible with my Panasonic 42 inch LCD. So had to hook up through the RCA video output. This displays in 480i and I could see the setup screen.

Then as per the instructions, I finished setup and network connection (using a wired connection, although the unit offers wireless) and then updated the firmware. The firmware out of the box was 1.15. It updated to 1.32. That took about 2 minutes.

After it rebooted, I connected the HDMI back up and it works fine. It is amazing that we have boxes now that ship only partially complete and would be useless without the internet to upgrade them. No complaints, just an observation. I bet Panasonic gets a lot of call on this.

The unit is fast and responsive for streaming and on DVD disk play. Pretty basic front and that drawer does open when its told, a nice change over earlier units.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How is the YouTube on this player?
Can it take USB keyboard input?
Any reason to get a higher model 110/210/220 etc? Don't need wifi or 3D. TV has viera connect (TC-L37E5).

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Does this player permit 2ch ANALOG audio out when playing Blu-ray? I ask because the x10 models do not and I want to get a cheap player for my mum's new PANASONIC TV but she has an old analog sound system. Not sure about the x20 models, but SONY does allow it.

- AVStefan
post #12 of 27 Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Looking to see if others wit Panasonic BD anything have had problems with video streaming from their internal network. Lots of variables so I'm posting different boards to try to find the source.

Wireless Router: WD My Net N900 (450 Mbps x 2 dual band)
Source for video files: WD My Book Live
Panasonic BD87 wired connection to EngeniusTech ERB9250 bridge
Playing through Denon 2312CI

No problems seeing my source files through DLNA or network browse
Video loads no problem but then just stutters on playback with the HDMI signal cutting in and out

I was a tad worried it might be the Denon which has some flakey HDMI handshake issues. So I tired connected to the Denon via RCA cables to remove HDMI cable or handshake from the mix.

Same results super studdery playback.

I suppose the issue is likely related to wireless signal to the ERB9250 but I'm surprised.

my only other option is to try a powerline network adapter to improve the connection, reduce drop outs, but I'm concerned the issue is not the connection and maybe the BluRay renderer

any thoughts appreciated.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM

I just bought my first Blu-ray player - DMP-BD87 - and picked up 5 BDs to try out with it.
- Les Miserables (the recently released musical movie)
- Spiderman 3
- Three Pack containing Twister, The Perfect Storm, and the Poseidon Adventure

I connected it and did the firmware update bringing it up to date and then went on to test the BDs...

Les Mis and Spider man worked fine, although I only watched the first 5 minutes of each, then skipped around a bit just to see sound / video quality, etc.

Next, I popped in my old Twister DVD (that's the only one that I actually have on DVD and I wanted to be able to compare that to the BD) and then popped in the BD version of Twister. The Warner Brothers intro video and music came and went and at around the time that the menu should have come up it froze - at 0:00:11.

The player did not respond to any commands from the remote of pressing the physical buttons on the player. I followed the instructions and pulled the power cord and then re-connected the power cord to turn it back on and eject the disc. I tried this a few times with the same results.

i tried the The Perfect Storm next and had the same results... after the Warner Brothers intro video and music, the player froze at 0:00:11 and I needed to unplug from power and re-plug

The 3rd disc in the set (Poseidon Adventure) worked fine - after the Warner Bros intro, the player went on to the menu screen and I was able to play the movie.

Does this sound like a player problem? a media problem? Neither of the discs that don't play look scratched, dirty or damaged in any other way. Everything is brand new.

I've googled 0:00:11 as well as the model number and I'm not seeing anything related to this. Ironically, the Sony model that I was considering purchasing had some bad reviews on Amazon with people complaining they cannot play Warner Bros or Universal BDs on that model.

I'm a bit frustrated by this and don't really know what to do - bring back the player or the BDs?
post #14 of 27 Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM

Liked: 11
I have a BD87 in the bedroom and when playing discs it freezes up constantly, especially when attempting to fast forward DVDs, it will go a few frames then freeze. Also when trying to turn off it often freezes and I have to unplug it.

I am trying it for streaming. Can anyone confirm if this model is capable of 1080 video and/or 5.1 audio when streaming? Cant find any streaming specs in the manual or online. Thanx, MM
post #15 of 27 Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I dunno but based on all the bad reviews on Amazon this model has some serious problems. Any previous model or later model is OK.

- AVStefan
post #16 of 27 Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmafia View Post

Can anyone confirm if this model is capable of 1080 video and/or 5.1 audio when streaming? Cant find any streaming specs in the manual or online. Thanx, MM

anyone?
post #17 of 27 Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

I have an 871. My audio is only stereo (no HT setup). You tube appears (no way to measure) 1080p when video allows, better than my HP laptop and PC at work. Can't help with Netflix (have yet to try it). I watched a clip of Desperate Housewives (hulu plus demo, I believe), looked better than any HD broadcast I ever saw.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 AM

I just couldn't take the constant freezing up (even after fw update) so I got a new bdt500 for downstairs and moved my old bd85 to the BR to replace the bd87. the bd85 works great, the 87 was a real lemon.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 09:41 AM

Same player, same problem here. It's only happened with my Natural Born Killers blu-ray, so maybe I should check some other movies.
post #20 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Owner's thread posts go here.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #21 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am having problems where certain Blu Ray's from IFC freeze after pressing play on the main menu. They only fix is to unplug the unit for a few seconds and then plug it back in to eject the disc. Seems to be firmware related.

-----------
Robert
post #22 of 27 Old 09-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Howdy,
I didn't find an official thread for this player but I'm hoping maybe it's close enough to other Panasonics that someone can help.

I'm using this player to stream Netflix and am getting pretty crappy quality. The player is hard wired in so the connection should be just fine. However many times I can tell it's dropping down to crappy quality which I assume means it's not downloading well.

Is there a way to press something on the remote and get some stats on the screen showing the buffer, download speed, etc so I can try to figure this out? I checked for a firmware update via the menus and didn't find anything so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks for any help.
post #23 of 27 Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Hi.  Just got a 50" ST60 and am starting to play around with it.  I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I have my cable box/dvr running through HDMI 1 and my panasonic blu-ray (dmp-bd871p-k) running through HDMI 2.   I have an older Sony LCD and a Sony blu ray (same HDMI set ups) and when I turn on the sony blu ray, it automatically switches my input from 1 to 2, and then when I turn it off, it goes back to 1.  I was expecting the same with my new Panasonic and it's not happening.  When I turn on the panny blu ray, it takes 10 or more seconds and then switches to HDMI 2, but when I turn it off, it doesn't default back to HDMI 1.

Is there any settings I need to adjust or reverse my HDMI setup?  Or is that just a neat perk with Sonys.  Thanks in advance!

post #24 of 27 Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 AM

I have a Panasonic blue ray player DMP-BD87.  It shows I'm connected to the internet but with only one bar, so I can't get Netflix, Youtube, etc.   I called Panasonic and they said my verizon wireless router has to be within 15 feet of the player to work, which its not.  Am I out of luck, or can I buy a USB wireless adapter like I have for my Desktop?  Any ideas?

post #25 of 27 Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Lisa, if you can't run a network cable from your router to your player, then the next best option would be a pair of power line ethernet adapters like this:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/

You don't really have to be within 15 ft, but you do need a good signal. If you can move both the player and router a little, that could make enough difference to get Netflix working. The idea is to minimize the obstacles between the router and player as much as possible. So if your player is behind or under a TV or shelf, try to move it out in the open. Same goes for your router.

Good luck
post #26 of 27 Old 01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Lisa,

As Dave said. I use Powerline adapters in my home, and they work flawlessly.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #27 of 27 Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Just ordered, we'll see how it goes. Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd87 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd77 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page