Please recommend blu-ray newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered a 1080p projector, so I need a blu-ray player, both to play the disks when I get my hands on some and also to test the projector (a refurbished Epson 8700ub).

Currently I have a Momitsu V880 upscaling (to 720p) DVD deck, also a test/analyze DVD, Digital Video Essentials ("Optimize Your Home Entertainment System"), hundreds of DVDs.

I've noticed the prices coming down in the newspaper, but I don't know the first thing about what I want or need in a blu-ray player. What are the priorities? Suggestions for what to get and where/how appreciated. I'm in Berkeley, CA.

I have been using a Sanyo PLV-Z2 all these since since it first came out in November 2003. Has worked great, has 4458 hours on the original bulb (looks OK to me, in my smallish room with 9' 8" throw), and I watch about as much HDTV with my MyHD 120 equipped HTPC as DVDs. However, the Sanyo is woefully inadequate in the blacks/contrast department, hence my PJ upgrade.

Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations or suggestions for how to test my projector, including disks, software, etc. Thanks!
- -
Edit: In case it's relevant, here's info about my audio setup

I don't normally use it when movie or HDTV watching. I'm right now listening to it for FM. But for HT use I use my high end Etymotics ER4S earbuds, 'cause I understand conversation better. I guess it's because the high end is more pronounced, not sure.

I have the JBL NSP1 5-Piece Home Cinema Package, a 100 watt subwoofer, a Kenwood VR-6060 AV Receiver. For the room it's in I believe it's adequate, the room is 12' 5.5" x 11' 1" [North<-->South]= 12.46 x 11.08 = 138 square feet + little closet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Sorry, but you're supposed to post in the OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE" thread at the top of the page.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Sorry, but you're supposed to post in the OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE" thread at the top of the page.

Oh, didn't know it existed. I did look around some before I posted, didn't notice it. I'll find it and go from there. Thanks.