Denon DBT-1713UD - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Denon DBT-1713UD

Blu-ray Players

John Kowtko's Avatar John Kowtko
10:41 AM Liked: 10
post #91 of 116
12-07-2013 | Posts: 5
Thanks for the good word ... can you be more specific though? Have you used the DLNA and Netflix players and noticed any of the issues that I desribed above?

I would prefer to stick with Denon if the above issues are being improved upon. I've had Denon AV receivers for years and would prefer to keep the components in the family I have my $99 Sony in house to use as a last resort but would prefer not to rely on that.

That being said, if there is a better combination of AV Receiver and blue-ray/media player out there for modest cost (under $500 each component) I am eager to hear suggestions.

Thanks. John
AGiLiT's Avatar AGiLiT
09:23 PM Liked: 10
post #92 of 116
12-18-2013 | Posts: 4
Just a heads up if anyone is searching for info on this unit and happens upon this thread: Best Buy is having an in-store sale on this unit - $299. They couldn't tell me how long it will be running.

Picked one up tonight, but won't get a chance to set it up until the weekend. Was looking for a good spinner to pair with a new Pioneer SC-1523-K, setting that up was last weekend's project. tongue.gif I plan to have the receiver handle all the heavy lifting. I'll see how that goes...
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile
08:37 AM Liked: 164
post #93 of 116
12-19-2013 | Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGiLiT View Post

Just a heads up if anyone is searching for info on this unit and happens upon this thread: Best Buy is having an in-store sale on this unit - $299. They couldn't tell me how long it will be running.

Picked one up tonight, but won't get a chance to set it up until the weekend. Was looking for a good spinner to pair with a new Pioneer SC-1523-K, setting that up was last weekend's project. tongue.gif I plan to have the receiver handle all the heavy lifting. I'll see how that goes...

This offer should last through next week.
mylopr's Avatar mylopr
12:04 PM Liked: 11
post #94 of 116
12-31-2013 | Posts: 42
Hi.

I have the 1713UD for quite some time and it works very well. My only complain is the DLNA Feature. Not that I use it that much but I don't know why it doesn't support external substitle as in .srt format.

Can some one have them working with this player?

Thanks in advanced.
Jose
techblogpool's Avatar techblogpool
07:52 PM Liked: 12
post #95 of 116
01-01-2014 | Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylopr View Post

Hi.

I have the 1713UD for quite some time and it works very well. My only complain is the DLNA Feature. Not that I use it that much but I don't know why it doesn't support external substitle as in .srt format.

Can some one have them working with this player?

Thanks in advanced.
Jose

Hi Jose,

Yes, srt subtitles do work, but you need to set up your DLNA server correctly. I will check mine and get back to you soon.

Cheers,
Martin
John Kowtko's Avatar John Kowtko
09:36 AM Liked: 10
post #96 of 116
01-02-2014 | Posts: 5
I own a 1611ud and am specifically unhappy with the DLNA payer functionality ... Wondering if the 1713ud will do better --

- some mp4 formats don't play on my 1611. I will get a "video format not supported" error box on the screen.

- wma pro audio is not supported in wmv files.

- when I first start to browse to my dlna server contents, I get a top level directory with three folders "music/photo/video", and when I navigate into any one of these folders I get a second set of folders that looks identical. I think what is happening here is that the first level of folders is allowing you to choose what type of dlna service you want to connect to (assuming the dlna server provides more than one type of service), and the second level of folders represents the share names posted by the dlna server. What's incorrect is that my dlna server associates each share with only one type of service .. So there is a mismatch between my dlna server and the 1611ud's dlna player.

- if I change the contents of a folder on the dlna server after the 1611ud has opened that folder, if I navigate back to that folder again the 1611ud will hang, requiring a reboot.

Does the 1713ud exhibit any of these problems? If you're not sure about the video/audio compatibility issues let me know and I can prepare some examples for you to check with.

FYI my dlna server isa Synology DS211j running that latest version of DSM 4.3.

My $99 Sony blue-ray player has none of the above issues.

Thanks. John
mylopr's Avatar mylopr
05:00 PM Liked: 11
post #97 of 116
01-02-2014 | Posts: 42
Techblogpool,

Where you able to check your settings for proprer .srt functionality? I tried everything even changing dlna cliemt profiles on my dlna server for the denon player but still not working. All my other dlna clients works fine.

Thxs
-Jose
belukrin's Avatar belukrin
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #98 of 116
01-09-2014 | Posts: 2

Did anyone found a way to sort the video files and music files like we do in Windows in denon bmt-1713ud media server.

Everytime i go to my denon with media server, i see the folder photo, video and music.

If i want video, then i see again photo,video and music, if i choose video, then at last i  see my nas that has a folder named streaming that contains a folder named movies. But the content in the folder movies  are all not sorted. Is there a way to sorte them. Also is there a way to go directly to my nas folder streaming and not to have to go to the full process everrytime.

fordfreak's Avatar fordfreak
10:16 PM Liked: 11
post #99 of 116
02-05-2014 | Posts: 29
I've have a LG BD-370 since the late 09/early 10 time frame. All I wanted at the time was something inexpensive. It plays most of my BR discs with no problem. I still haven't been able to get Red 2 to work. It works fine with other players though. The picture isn't the best but part of that is also my TV. My AVR is the Denon 3808. I'm thinking about the Denon 1713UD to replace the BD-370. Would it be worth it? Or should I look for something else? Is there something else that Denon might be releasing soon?
Roberto1974's Avatar Roberto1974
04:32 PM Liked: 12
post #100 of 116
05-16-2014 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by belukrin View Post

Did anyone found a way to sort the video files and music files like we do in Windows in denon bmt-1713ud media server.

Everytime i go to my denon with media server, i see the folder photo, video and music.

If i want video, then i see again photo,video and music, if i choose video, then at last i  see my nas that has a folder named streaming that contains a folder named movies. But the content in the folder movies  are all not sorted. Is there a way to sorte them. Also is there a way to go directly to my nas folder streaming and not to have to go to the full process everrytime.

I found one  solution which somehow settles this issue -- Create a new folder in the source (which can either be a USB flash drive of a folder in your computer) and drag the files in the order which you want to see. I'm not an expert on "file allocation tables" of computers, but seems that Denon player reads the list of contents of the folder based on the actual creation date, instead of the order shown in the Windows Explorer.

It works well in flash drives -- I placed more than a hundred files, in the order I wanted to see in Denon GUI. Important do not copy or move two or more files at same time (please do not select several lines when "dragging" to the new folder) , to prevent messing with the order.

Hope this helps you

fsallum's Avatar fsallum
02:36 PM Liked: 10
post #101 of 116
05-21-2014 | Posts: 3

Hi,

I have a Denon DBT-1713 Blu-Ray player. It was working fine yesterday, but now none of the buttons on the remote work. When the Blu-Ray player is turned on the display says "TRAY LOCK". I have scoured the manual, but it says nothing about any locks.

Has anyone come across this or have any solutions?

Thank

Roberto1974's Avatar Roberto1974
03:58 PM Liked: 12
post #102 of 116
05-21-2014 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsallum View Post

Hi,

I have a Denon DBT-1713 Blu-Ray player. It was working fine yesterday, but now none of the buttons on the remote work. When the Blu-Ray player is turned on the display says "TRAY LOCK". I have scoured the manual, but it says nothing about any locks.

Has anyone come across this or have any solutions?

Thank

Hello

Tray lock is an special operation mode which is used in stores, to avoid the customers to open the drawer and remove the disc which is being played

At least on older models, the cancel trau lock you should do the following

With player turned on and TV connected, using the remote control, press [SETUP], [TOP MENU],[3], [AUDIO], [0] and [SETUP] buttons on the
remote control unit in that order.

"Trade-Off" appears in the upper right corner on the screen and also in the display.

Hope this works with 1713.

megsandadam's Avatar megsandadam
04:15 AM Liked: 10
post #103 of 116
05-22-2014 | Posts: 4
fsallum,

For some reason I could reply to you in my other thread, but yes, I managed to get it solved by calling Denon

You basically have to reset the unit by holding down the play button and the forward skip button at the same time until the display says "Initialising". When it says "Initialised" you release the buttons and unplug the power cord until all the lights go out, then plug back in.

This resets the until to factory settings.

Hope it helps, I remember how frustrating it was!
fsallum's Avatar fsallum
07:17 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 116
05-22-2014 | Posts: 3

thank you 
but none of these options solve.

Could not initialize the device

biggal76's Avatar biggal76
07:23 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 116
05-23-2014 | Posts: 1
I can't initialize mine either. Mine works well except that Netflix keeps freezing up. Happened the day after I updated my firmware, but it's weird because I watched a Netflix movie right after I updated and it worked fine. Pressing play and forward buttons does not do anything. I'll try the soft reset overnight tonight though (leaving unplugged all night) although I've tried unplugging for a few minutes and it didn't help.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
03:23 PM Liked: 827
post #106 of 116
07-14-2014 | Posts: 22,029
I was just looking at this player to replace my ancient OPPO for SACD and DVD-A playback. Does it access online info for the SACD titles(and DVD-A) like the Sony players do? I plan on mating this with a Denon 4520 I got recently. I used to have a Denon 3808 which worked fine with DSD over HDMi so I guess the 4520 should work well too.
gce's Avatar gce
06:20 PM Liked: 11
post #107 of 116
07-14-2014 | Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I was just looking at this player to replace my ancient OPPO for SACD and DVD-A playback. Does it access online info for the SACD titles(and DVD-A) like the Sony players do? I plan on mating this with a Denon 4520 I got recently. I used to have a Denon 3808 which worked fine with DSD over HDMi so I guess the 4520 should work well too.

I just put a SACD in and cannot see were it would access online info. I looked everywhere but cant find where it would access online info. The player works great with everything but I've gotten back into Vinyl so I don't use it much anymore. I'm sure I'll pick it back up someday.
defjamz's Avatar defjamz
03:22 PM Liked: 48
post #108 of 116
09-15-2014 | Posts: 136
With talks of 4K Blurays coming out next year, do you guys suppose that Denon would provide a firmware update that would allow the 1713 to play these discs next year? I don't know if the player has the hardware to support 4K, but it would be nice...
gce's Avatar gce
03:47 PM Liked: 11
post #109 of 116
09-15-2014 | Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamz View Post
With talks of 4K Blurays coming out next year, do you guys suppose that Denon would provide a firmware update that would allow the 1713 to play these discs next year? I don't know if the player has the hardware to support 4K, but it would be nice...
My guess is that it would need hardware. I don't think a firmware update would do it. Just like DVD and BD use a different beam so would 4K.
Yves Smolders's Avatar Yves Smolders
12:38 PM Liked: 10
post #110 of 116
09-22-2014 | Posts: 657
I have one of these - Netflix just came to Belgium and I tried the netflix app.

It's terrible. Microstutter everywhere, and the app is outputting at 1080P50. Does anyone know how to make this unit play back netflix content at 24P/50P/60P according to the source?
Dexter88's Avatar Dexter88
01:05 PM Liked: 10
post #111 of 116
11-13-2014 | Posts: 15
Does it play DTS-MA or only core from a NAS?
And with USB-HDD?
HX_Guy's Avatar HX_Guy
12:34 AM Liked: 38
post #112 of 116
12-01-2014 | Posts: 690
Wow so here is something to figure out...I ordered a new Denon 1713UD blu-ray player a few days ago and it arrived today, so I swapped out my old Panasonic with it.

I didn't change any settings on the TV. I tried both RGB and YBcCr settings on the blu-ray player and it doesn't seem to make a difference...my previous settings are WAY WAY off for some reason. Very strange and curious that the player would make this much difference. Are there some settings on the player I need to disable or change? Some sort of "pass-through"?

Using the same Windows pattern I was using before, this is what my test results were...again with changing no values on the TV.

If I try the ABL Large pattern, the gamma curve is still off from what I had it at before (BT.1886) but at least somewhat in the range of what it should be. I corrected the greyscale for the most part but the gamma is still way above what it was with the old blu-ray player.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
chronoclast's Avatar chronoclast
01:48 AM Liked: 11
post #113 of 116
12-02-2014 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Wow so here is something to figure out...I ordered a new Denon 1713UD blu-ray player a few days ago and it arrived today, so I swapped out my old Panasonic with it.

I didn't change any settings on the TV. I tried both RGB and YBcCr settings on the blu-ray player and it doesn't seem to make a difference...my previous settings are WAY WAY off for some reason. Very strange and curious that the player would make this much difference. Are there some settings on the player I need to disable or change? Some sort of "pass-through"?

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Check if the Denon clips on a contrast test pattern. If it does set contrast on the Denon to -1 and remeasure. The sister Marantz player UD5007 does that and setting it to -1 corrects it.
HX_Guy's Avatar HX_Guy
11:41 AM Liked: 38
post #114 of 116
12-02-2014 | Posts: 690
Thanks for the reply. The problem ended up being the Cinema Smooth feature on the TV. With the Panasonic player, it was disabled since it's only enabled if the content plays at 24p (and the test disk does not on that player). The Denon does play the disk at 24p and I had Cinema Smooth on which caused the weird graphs. Shutting it off fixed the problem.
HX_Guy's Avatar HX_Guy
12:30 PM Liked: 38
post #115 of 116
12-02-2014 | Posts: 690
On another note, WOW at the sound quality of this player! The rest of my system is pretty decent (Denon X2000 receiver feeding a 7.1 Klipsch speaker system) and I thought it sounds pretty good with the old Panasonic player, but apparently it wasn't even decoding the best output. With the Denon player, the receiver now says DTS-HD MS on the display which I've never seen displayed before and the sound is outstanding, so clear and crisp and feels like you're just surrounded by it. Loving it!
jhachey's Avatar jhachey
04:36 PM Liked: 10
post #116 of 116
12-02-2014 | Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
On another note, WOW at the sound quality of this player! The rest of my system is pretty decent (Denon X2000 receiver feeding a 7.1 Klipsch speaker system) and I thought it sounds pretty good with the old Panasonic player, but apparently it wasn't even decoding the best output. With the Denon player, the receiver now says DTS-HD MS on the display which I've never seen displayed before and the sound is outstanding, so clear and crisp and feels like you're just surrounded by it. Loving it!
Yeah - bought one of these and a Denon X4000 last Christmas. For movies, it's a pretty amazing combination!
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Denon 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Dbt 1713ud , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver

Gear in this thread
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread