Denon DBT-1713UD - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #121 of 138 Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Movies shot in IMAX will sometimes be transferred to Blu-ray with shifting aspect ratios during certain scenes to represent what you would see at the theater. So check if the movies you are watching have dual aspects.

Interstellar is a recent example. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Inters.../77552/#Review
T-Town likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 05-03-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks!
post #123 of 138 Old 05-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon DBT 1713UD Bluray

Just purchased The Denon DBT 1713UD Bluray and Denon AVR X2100W receiver. Question is which has the better DAC. Should I be using the RCA jacks(CD) or the HDMI Cable(DVD) when listening to CD's. Denon was not helpful at all. I haven't set it up yet but I am curious if anyone knows the quality of each piece to know which route to go.
post #124 of 138 Old 06-18-2015, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDee View Post
Just purchased The Denon DBT 1713UD Bluray and Denon AVR X2100W receiver. Question is which has the better DAC. Should I be using the RCA jacks(CD) or the HDMI Cable(DVD) when listening to CD's. Denon was not helpful at all. I haven't set it up yet but I am curious if anyone knows the quality of each piece to know which route to go.
Dear Friend!
I have Denon DBT 1713UD and Denon AVR X3000W receiver and glad to have them.
I should say that it will be better if you plug both cables - HDMI and RCA. In case of pure CD listening embedded 1713UD DAC is much better than in receiver. Unfortunately I don't know about the model of 1713UD DAC but in terms of my experience it gives much clear and deep sound for stereo up to 96kHz. On the other hand in case of 192 kHz sound AVR-X3000 DAC is preferable.
Thus if you want to listen pure CD then plug in RCA cable. Otherwise plug in HDMI.
Good Luck!
post #125 of 138 Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 PM

Liked: 14
Hey there,

In all honesty, they both suck and until you get to a price point of about 2x of the 1713UD for just a DAC, let's say for example the M-DAC from Audiolab, then the difference in audible quality is literally microscopic. Currently, within the M/D Group portfolio, you really have to move up to a Maranz to get a DAC that could at least a bit be considered musical.

Connect the 1713UD by HDMI, at least in this way you are more likely to get a single D/A conversion. If you connect via analogue then your receiver will re-digitize the analogue via it's pretty ****ty A/D encoder and then once again decode in a third pass to analogue. That is unless you select PURE, because even in stereo it needs that A/D encoding to be able to do it's bass management and route your low frequencies to the sub. The more passes the worse. It's like a third Xerox copy in a way. If I was to make a parallel.

Good luck!

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDee View Post
post #126 of 138 Old 09-21-2015, 03:10 PM

Hi everybody

I've just got the 1713 and am using it primarily for CD/SACD playback (at least until I get proper TV with HDMI input, yep, still using an old CRT). My question is about SACD playback. When I try to switch layers, I get the options Multi, Stereo and CD. I assume Multi and Stereo refer to SACD while CD would be the stereo CD layer. If I choose Multi I can clearly hear on some SACDs that the player is doing a mixdown to stereo to the RCA output. Now, what intrigues me is that the player only seems to actually switch layers (i.e., there is a pause and playback starts from the beginning of track 1) when I switch to Multi. Switching from Stereo to CD does not pause playback at all.
post #127 of 138 Old 09-21-2015, 03:22 PM

Hi everybody

I've just got the 1713 and am using it primarily for CD/SACD playback (at least until I get proper TV with HDMI input, yep, still using an old CRT). My question is about SACD playback. When I try to switch layers on the remote, I get the options "Multi", "Stereo" and "CD". I assume "Multi" and "Stereo" refer to SACD while "CD" would be the stereo CD layer. If I choose "Multi" I can clearly hear on some SACDs that the player is doing a mixdown to stereo to the RCA output. Now, what intrigues me is that the player only seems to actually switch layers (i.e., there is a pause and playback starts from the beginning of track 1) when I switch from "CD" to "Multi". Switching from "Stereo" to "CD" does not even pause playback at all. Am I actually listening to SACD when I choose "Stereo"? It would be disapointing if the only way to listen to SACD via the RCA stereo out would be through downmixing from multichannel. On the other hand, I'm assuming it is correct that hybrid multichannel SACDs normally have a SACD layer with multichannel and stereo mix and a separate stereo Redbook CD layer, is that correct?

Thank you, any comments are appreciated

Michael
post #128 of 138 Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 AM

Liked: 14
Hi Michael,

You are right about the names of the layers, however, with this particular player, I've had issues myself. Sometimes the switch of the layer happens only if you switch the layer and actually take the disk out and put it back in again. As if DENON didn't really want you to be switching between layers mid play, but instead asks you to chose a layer and stick with it when you play your disks.

Also, not every hybrid SACD is mastered with all 3 layers. Sometimes you only get two. Stereo+CD or Multi+CD. In such a case the logic of the player is such that when you switch from CD to a nonexistent layer (Stereo), it simply does nothing.

On a side note, the DAC for the stereo out is such low quality, you might not be able to hear any difference between stereo and CD in the first place, depending on the quality of the rest of your system as well. It really is meant only as a source for a secondary, i.e. non critical room.

Hope this helped,

Happy listening!

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaLuis View Post
Hi everybody

I've just got the 1713 and am using it primarily for CD/SACD playback (at least until I get proper TV with HDMI input, yep, still using an old CRT). My question is about SACD playback. When I try to switch layers on the remote, I get the options "Multi", "Stereo" and "CD". I assume "Multi" and "Stereo" refer to SACD while "CD" would be the stereo CD layer. If I choose "Multi" I can clearly hear on some SACDs that the player is doing a mixdown to stereo to the RCA output. Now, what intrigues me is that the player only seems to actually switch layers (i.e., there is a pause and playback starts from the beginning of track 1) when I switch from "CD" to "Multi". Switching from "Stereo" to "CD" does not even pause playback at all. Am I actually listening to SACD when I choose "Stereo"? It would be disapointing if the only way to listen to SACD via the RCA stereo out would be through downmixing from multichannel. On the other hand, I'm assuming it is correct that hybrid multichannel SACDs normally have a SACD layer with multichannel and stereo mix and a separate stereo Redbook CD layer, is that correct?

Thank you, any comments are appreciated

Michael
post #129 of 138 Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techblogpool View Post
Hi Michael,

You are right about the names of the layers, however, with this particular player, I've had issues myself. Sometimes the switch of the layer happens only if you switch the layer and actually take the disk out and put it back in again. As if DENON didn't really want you to be switching between layers mid play, but instead asks you to chose a layer and stick with it when you play your disks.

Also, not every hybrid SACD is mastered with all 3 layers. Sometimes you only get two. Stereo+CD or Multi+CD. In such a case the logic of the player is such that when you switch from CD to a nonexistent layer (Stereo), it simply does nothing.

On a side note, the DAC for the stereo out is such low quality, you might not be able to hear any difference between stereo and CD in the first place, depending on the quality of the rest of your system as well. It really is meant only as a source for a secondary, i.e. non critical room.

Hope this helped,

Happy listening!

Martin
Ok, thanks

Michael
post #130 of 138 Old 10-04-2015, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hello,

Does this player exhibit any audio dropouts on atmos mixed discs?

I have an oppo 93 and watching Age of Adaline last night not only did I have dropouts but the sound went silent after chapter changes.

Changing inputs on my 6200 avr brought the sound back.

So I am looking at this Denon player.

Thanks
post #131 of 138 Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
Hello,

Does this player exhibit any audio dropouts on atmos mixed discs?

I have an oppo 93 and watching Age of Adaline last night not only did I have dropouts but the sound went silent after chapter changes.

Changing inputs on my 6200 avr brought the sound back.

So I am looking at this Denon player.

Thanks
I am in the same boat as well....hope we get an answer

Sharp LC-70LE732U
Klipsch Reference 7.2 RF-82 II - RC-62 II - RS-52 II - RB-61 II - RW-12D
Yamaha RX-A1010
OPPO BD-P83
Toshiba HD-A35
Sony PlayStation 3
AC Ryan PlayOn!HD Mini 2
post #132 of 138 Old 10-13-2015, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi auarthur,

I couldn't wait any longer so I went and ordered an oppo bdp103.

Plays the discs I had issues with and the oppo thread is at least alive.
post #133 of 138 Old 03-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
denon 1713 vs oppo 103

denon 1713 vs oppo 103 which is better? Im leaning towards denon since my receiver is denon and could use denon link. What are the pros and cons of each?
post #134 of 138 Old 03-02-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613
denon 1713 vs oppo 103 which is better? Im leaning towards denon since my receiver is denon and could use denon link. What are the pros and cons of each?
I'd pick the OPPO over the Denon DBT-1713UD for its dual HDMI outputs, multi-channel analogue outputs...and the fact that it's an OPPO.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 03-03-2016 at 04:52 AM.
post #135 of 138 Old 03-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Will the multi channel out work with the denon avr s910w?
post #136 of 138 Old 03-03-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Will the multi channel out work with the denon avr s910w?
No. The AVR-S910W does not appear to have multi-channel analogue inputs.
post #137 of 138 Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Is there much picture difference between the 2 oppo vs denon?
post #138 of 138 Old 03-13-2016, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all,

I am a new owner of a Denon dbt1713ud player which I have connected do a Denon 4520 and I'm wondering if there is a way to send a SACD signal in PCM format to the 4520 while still sending the all Dolby and DTS bitsreams to the reciever?

YOU ARE HERE! Life EXISTS and Identity! That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and YOU... may contribute a verse. ......what will your verse be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Denon 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Dbt 1713ud , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread