AVS Forum banner
77K views 141 replies 69 participants last post by  lordvader 
#1 ·
Looks like Denon has a new blu ray player that comes out July 1 2012. It mainly just looks updated to match the new XX13 line of AVRS.

Universal Blu-ray Disc Transport plays DVDs, CDs, Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio

Fully shielded mechanism

Quick response at loading and playback

4 Independent block construction, Faithful for playback of audio and video signals

Construction Fanless for silent operation

Denon's High Picture Quality Circuitry, to visually Enhance your sources

Network support for DLNA streaming (audio / video / photo)

Netflix and YouTube streaming video on demand support *

Support for DivX Plus HD

HDMI cable included

Source: http://hu.horn.eu/hu/HU/TERMEKEK/OTT...BT-1713UD?s1=1

See less See more
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsallum  /t/1408187/denon-dbt-1713ud/90#post_24744767

Hi,

I have a Denon DBT-1713 Blu-Ray player. It was working fine yesterday, but now none of the buttons on the remote work. When the Blu-Ray player is turned on the display says "TRAY LOCK". I have scoured the manual, but it says nothing about any locks.

Has anyone come across this or have any solutions?

Thank
Hello

Tray lock is an special operation mode which is used in stores, to avoid the customers to open the drawer and remove the disc which is being played

At least on older models, the cancel trau lock you should do the following

With player turned on and TV connected, using the remote control, press [SETUP], [TOP MENU],[3], [AUDIO], [0] and [SETUP] buttons on the

remote control unit in that order.

"Trade-Off" appears in the upper right corner on the screen and also in the display.

Hope this works with 1713.

#103 ·
fsallum,

For some reason I could reply to you in my other thread, but yes, I managed to get it solved by calling Denon

You basically have to reset the unit by holding down the play button and the forward skip button at the same time until the display says "Initialising". When it says "Initialised" you release the buttons and unplug the power cord until all the lights go out, then plug back in.

This resets the until to factory settings.

Hope it helps, I remember how frustrating it was!

#105 ·
I can't initialize mine either. Mine works well except that Netflix keeps freezing up. Happened the day after I updated my firmware, but it's weird because I watched a Netflix movie right after I updated and it worked fine. Pressing play and forward buttons does not do anything. I'll try the soft reset overnight tonight though (leaving unplugged all night) although I've tried unplugging for a few minutes and it didn't help.

#106 ·
I was just looking at this player to replace my ancient OPPO for SACD and DVD-A playback. Does it access online info for the SACD titles(and DVD-A) like the Sony players do? I plan on mating this with a Denon 4520 I got recently. I used to have a Denon 3808 which worked fine with DSD over HDMi so I guess the 4520 should work well too.

#107 ·
I just put a SACD in and cannot see were it would access online info. I looked everywhere but cant find where it would access online info. The player works great with everything but I've gotten back into Vinyl so I don't use it much anymore. I'm sure I'll pick it back up someday. :)

#108 ·
With talks of 4K Blurays coming out next year, do you guys suppose that Denon would provide a firmware update that would allow the 1713 to play these discs next year? I don't know if the player has the hardware to support 4K, but it would be nice...

#110 ·
I have one of these - Netflix just came to Belgium and I tried the netflix app.

It's terrible. Microstutter everywhere, and the app is outputting at 1080P50. Does anyone know how to make this unit play back netflix content at 24P/50P/60P according to the source?

Reactions: RealWorldNeo
#112 ·
Changed old Panasonic blu-ray to new Denon and now picture settings all wrong?

Wow so here is something to figure out...I ordered a new Denon 1713UD blu-ray player a few days ago and it arrived today, so I swapped out my old Panasonic with it.

I didn't change any settings on the TV. I tried both RGB and YBcCr settings on the blu-ray player and it doesn't seem to make a difference...my previous settings are WAY WAY off for some reason. Very strange and curious that the player would make this much difference. Are there some settings on the player I need to disable or change? Some sort of "pass-through"?

Using the same Windows pattern I was using before, this is what my test results were...again with changing no values on the TV.

If I try the ABL Large pattern, the gamma curve is still off from what I had it at before (BT.1886) but at least somewhat in the range of what it should be. I corrected the greyscale for the most part but the gamma is still way above what it was with the old blu-ray player.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

#113 ·
Wow so here is something to figure out...I ordered a new Denon 1713UD blu-ray player a few days ago and it arrived today, so I swapped out my old Panasonic with it.

I didn't change any settings on the TV. I tried both RGB and YBcCr settings on the blu-ray player and it doesn't seem to make a difference...my previous settings are WAY WAY off for some reason. Very strange and curious that the player would make this much difference. Are there some settings on the player I need to disable or change? Some sort of "pass-through"?

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Check if the Denon clips on a contrast test pattern. If it does set contrast on the Denon to -1 and remeasure. The sister Marantz player UD5007 does that and setting it to -1 corrects it.

#114 ·
Thanks for the reply. The problem ended up being the Cinema Smooth feature on the TV. With the Panasonic player, it was disabled since it's only enabled if the content plays at 24p (and the test disk does not on that player). The Denon does play the disk at 24p and I had Cinema Smooth on which caused the weird graphs. Shutting it off fixed the problem.

#115 ·
On another note, WOW at the sound quality of this player! The rest of my system is pretty decent (Denon X2000 receiver feeding a 7.1 Klipsch speaker system) and I thought it sounds pretty good with the old Panasonic player, but apparently it wasn't even decoding the best output. With the Denon player, the receiver now says DTS-HD MS on the display which I've never seen displayed before and the sound is outstanding, so clear and crisp and feels like you're just surrounded by it. Loving it!

#118 ·
This might have been covered, but if it is - I can't seem to find it...

I just got a new Denon x2100w receiver with WiFi which works fine. I'd wanted to see if there's a way to utilize the WiFi capability on the receiver to use with my Denon 1713 for "internet access" so I could use Netflix via that. I suppose I could use my PS3, but I'd wanted to use my Denon Blu-Ray. Any ideas as to how I could get this to work or will it involve me buying a router for the Blu-Ray player for network access?

#119 ·
Hello there,

Unfortunately there is no way how to utilize the wifi capability of your receiver and route that to the bluray player. The explanation is simple, the receiver works as a wifi client. For it to be able to do the task you require, the hardware and software would have to work as an access point or bridge, which requires far more processing power and is usually beyond the typical scope of a midrange receiver.

The solution you are looking for is a wifi bridge. However this type of connection is rarely reliable between different router brands. The most stable connection I've ever had was with apple AirPort Extreme and Express routers. If possible in your environment, a much better and stable connection can be made via power line Ethernet. You usually get two paired adapters, hook up one to your router, other to the bluray player and you have a very fast and stable connection. Make sure you buy at least 500Mbps version and connect it to wall socket directly.

Last but not least, if Netflix is your prime objective, a much better overall experience will be had on play station than the Denon. Not just speed but also stability, GUI and by my experience also video quality.

Cheers,

Martin

#120 ·
Movie format changes during scene change

I have a denon 1713 BR Player with an Emotiva umc200 and Epson 3020 PJ. While watching movies, the picture will fill the entire 106" screen(16x9), then out of no where, the pic will have the black bars at the top and bottom, then it will change to back to 16x9 and fill the entire screen. I don't know if this is normal. If not, I don't know how to fix it. It really annoying. Any thoughts?

#121 ·
Movies shot in IMAX will sometimes be transferred to Blu-ray with shifting aspect ratios during certain scenes to represent what you would see at the theater. So check if the movies you are watching have dual aspects.

Interstellar is a recent example. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Interstellar-Blu-ray/77552/#Review

Reactions: T-Town
#123 ·
Denon DBT 1713UD Bluray

Just purchased The Denon DBT 1713UD Bluray and Denon AVR X2100W receiver. Question is which has the better DAC. Should I be using the RCA jacks(CD) or the HDMI Cable(DVD) when listening to CD's. Denon was not helpful at all. I haven't set it up yet but I am curious if anyone knows the quality of each piece to know which route to go.

#124 ·
Just purchased The Denon DBT 1713UD Bluray and Denon AVR X2100W receiver. Question is which has the better DAC. Should I be using the RCA jacks(CD) or the HDMI Cable(DVD) when listening to CD's. Denon was not helpful at all. I haven't set it up yet but I am curious if anyone knows the quality of each piece to know which route to go.
Dear Friend!
I have Denon DBT 1713UD and Denon AVR X3000W receiver and glad to have them.
I should say that it will be better if you plug both cables - HDMI and RCA. In case of pure CD listening embedded 1713UD DAC is much better than in receiver. Unfortunately I don't know about the model of 1713UD DAC but in terms of my experience it gives much clear and deep sound for stereo up to 96kHz. On the other hand in case of 192 kHz sound AVR-X3000 DAC is preferable.
Thus if you want to listen pure CD then plug in RCA cable. Otherwise plug in HDMI.
Good Luck!

#126 ·
Hi everybody

I've just got the 1713 and am using it primarily for CD/SACD playback (at least until I get proper TV with HDMI input, yep, still using an old CRT). My question is about SACD playback. When I try to switch layers, I get the options Multi, Stereo and CD. I assume Multi and Stereo refer to SACD while CD would be the stereo CD layer. If I choose Multi I can clearly hear on some SACDs that the player is doing a mixdown to stereo to the RCA output. Now, what intrigues me is that the player only seems to actually switch layers (i.e., there is a pause and playback starts from the beginning of track 1) when I switch to Multi. Switching from Stereo to CD does not pause playback at all.

#127 ·
Hi everybody

I've just got the 1713 and am using it primarily for CD/SACD playback (at least until I get proper TV with HDMI input, yep, still using an old CRT). My question is about SACD playback. When I try to switch layers on the remote, I get the options "Multi", "Stereo" and "CD". I assume "Multi" and "Stereo" refer to SACD while "CD" would be the stereo CD layer. If I choose "Multi" I can clearly hear on some SACDs that the player is doing a mixdown to stereo to the RCA output. Now, what intrigues me is that the player only seems to actually switch layers (i.e., there is a pause and playback starts from the beginning of track 1) when I switch from "CD" to "Multi". Switching from "Stereo" to "CD" does not even pause playback at all. Am I actually listening to SACD when I choose "Stereo"? It would be disapointing if the only way to listen to SACD via the RCA stereo out would be through downmixing from multichannel. On the other hand, I'm assuming it is correct that hybrid multichannel SACDs normally have a SACD layer with multichannel and stereo mix and a separate stereo Redbook CD layer, is that correct?

Thank you, any comments are appreciated

Michael

#128 ·
Hi Michael,

You are right about the names of the layers, however, with this particular player, I've had issues myself. Sometimes the switch of the layer happens only if you switch the layer and actually take the disk out and put it back in again. As if DENON didn't really want you to be switching between layers mid play, but instead asks you to chose a layer and stick with it when you play your disks.

Also, not every hybrid SACD is mastered with all 3 layers. Sometimes you only get two. Stereo+CD or Multi+CD. In such a case the logic of the player is such that when you switch from CD to a nonexistent layer (Stereo), it simply does nothing.

On a side note, the DAC for the stereo out is such low quality, you might not be able to hear any difference between stereo and CD in the first place, depending on the quality of the rest of your system as well. It really is meant only as a source for a secondary, i.e. non critical room.

Hope this helped,

Happy listening!

Martin

#130 ·
Hello,

Does this player exhibit any audio dropouts on atmos mixed discs?

I have an oppo 93 and watching Age of Adaline last night not only did I have dropouts but the sound went silent after chapter changes.

Changing inputs on my 6200 avr brought the sound back.

So I am looking at this Denon player.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.