4:2:2 3d output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I have a samsung pn64d7000 plasma, denon 2112avr and panasonic dmp-bdt210, I received the avatar 3d bluray with the purchase of the player and while trying to watch it the screen had a green tint and no real color.so I kept going over the settings between the tv and player and decided to switch the hdmi color mode output on the bluray player from Ycbcr(4:2:2) to (4:4:4) and voila it did the trick. I am wondering why when it was in (4:2:2)the picture looked green with no color and when switched to Ycbcr (4:4:4) it came to life. What I don't understand is when watching 2d blu ray movies it didn't matter which hdmi color mode it was set to but with 3D it looked terrible in 4:2:2. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Usually, Ghastly Green video is a symptom that two devices are in disagreement as to whether YCbCr or RGB video data format is in use on the HDMI cable between them. It is a form of HDMI handshake failure. It's not supposed to happen of course, but it does for a variety of reasons.

Whatever else you did by switching from YCbCr 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 you forced a new HDMI handshake to happen. That alone could explain why it changed to proper video. Evidently your set of equipment and cables is having trouble completing the HDMI handshake (connection setup) when you watch 3D video. Most often this is due to marginal cabling, but it could also be due to bugs in your devices.

When it fails at 4:2:2, try switching to 4:4:4, and if that now works, then try switching back to 4:2:2 -- all this while still watching that 3D video. (This assumes your hardware will LET YOU make such changes on the fly, while watching video.) You may very well find that 4:2:2 now "works", again just because you've forced a new handshake.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bob, will I lose any quality in having it YCbCr 4:4:4 compared to 4:2:2?I bought the cables from mono price do you think that could be the problem? If so could you recommend better cables. Thanks again. Also I bypassed the AVR before switching any of the YCbCr settings at the bluray player and I was also getting that horrible green tint so I know it had nothing to do with my denon AVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Usually, Ghastly Green video is a symptom that two devices are in disagreement as to whether YCbCr or RGB video data format is in use on the HDMI cable between them. It is a form of HDMI handshake failure. It's not supposed to happen of course, but it does for a variety of reasons.

Whatever else you did by switching from YCbCr 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 you forced a new HDMI handshake to happen. That alone could explain why it changed to proper video. Evidently your set of equipment and cables is having trouble completing the HDMI handshake (connection setup) when you watch 3D video. Most often this is due to marginal cabling, but it could also be due to bugs in your devices.

When it fails at 4:2:2, try switching to 4:4:4, and if that now works, then try switching back to 4:2:2 -- all this while still watching that 3D video. (This assumes your hardware will LET YOU make such changes on the fly, while watching video.) You may very well find that 4:2:2 now "works", again just because you've forced a new handshake.
--Bob

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Theoretically the quality is identical. The problem is that some players, AVRs and Displays have "quirks" (a polite name for "bugs") that make them work better with one data format or another. For example, Pioneer Kuro displays are reputed to dote on RGB data format -- not EITHER form of YCbCr.

The thing to do is find the formats that work (no point wasting time on ones that don't work) and then see if you can spot a "best" one.

---------------------------------------

For cables, make sure you are getting "high speed" HDMI cables. You'll need that for 1080p 2D video and for 3D video. Monoprice and Blue Jeans (both forum sponsors) make good cables.

HDMI plugs are only friction fit, so make sure they are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight) tugging them in any direction. Avoid daisy chaining cables or using adapters or wall plates.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Bob, you were a huge help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Theoretically the quality is identical. The problem is that some players, AVRs and Displays have "quirks" (a polite name for "bugs") that make them work better with one data format or another. For example, Pioneer Kuro displays are reputed to dote on RGB data format -- not EITHER form of YCbCr.

The thing to do is find the formats that work (no point wasting time on ones that don't work) and then see if you can spot a "best" one.

---------------------------------------

For cables, make sure you are getting "high speed" HDMI cables. You'll need that for 1080p 2D video and for 3D video. Monoprice and Blue Jeans (both forum sponsors) make good cables.

HDMI plugs are only friction fit, so make sure they are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight) tugging them in any direction. Avoid daisy chaining cables or using adapters or wall plates.
--Bob

post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky View Post

Thanks Bob, will I lose any quality in having it YCbCr 4:4:4 compared to 4:2:2?I bought the cables from mono price do you think that could be the problem? If so could you recommend better cables. Thanks again. Also I bypassed the AVR before switching any of the YCbCr settings at the bluray player and I was also getting that horrible green tint so I know it had nothing to do with my denon AVR.

I know this is an old thread, but I had given up searching for info on this a while back. It's actually reassuring to know this seems normal with the BD/TV combo in 3D. I searched and searched and even posted in this forum or HDJ this very question with no response over a year ago. 4:4:4 looked and tested great so I stopped worrying about it. Since my warranty is almost up I started wondering about this again and searching again. So then I found this thread

I also have the PN64D7000 and the Panny BDT310, same as 210 but with dual HDMI. I run one HDMI to TV and other to receiver as it doesn't support 3D(Onkyo TX-SR805 and I will never replace it until it melts, best pure audio receiver ever). I watched several 2D BD's over the first week or so I owned it. Had HDMI color space at 4:2:2 with beautiful pic. Then I popped in a 3D and got the same result as you with the green screen. Going to 4:4:4 fixed it. I even exchanged both TV and player with Amazon with same result. In 2D, either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 looks great with no discernible difference. Only in 3D is when this happens. Since the PQ is so great in 4:4:4 anyway I really just forgot about it until a couple days ago when Panny emailed me my warranty was going to expire.

I don't have another 3D BDP or TV to try testing but I am now just curious, does 3D playback work in 4:2:2 colorspace on any other combo? It's really a non-issue to me now and just curious if it's only this BD/TV combo or maybe the Sammy itself? Either way I love the combo. Just saw this thread and was relieved to find some topic at all about this as I couldn't a year back.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Player Dmp Bdt210 , Samsung Pn64d7000 64 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page