External HDD formats - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a new player. I am doing away with my DVR because we have started using OTA directly into our TV's and have subscriptions to Hulu Plus and Netflix. We do how ever have a smallish video collection that we are going to keep from the DVR that I have transferred to a 2tb external HDD. I would like to find a player that will allow me to hook the external HDD up and watch the video's on it when we feel like it. I know this is possible but I am concerned about the formats they will play. The formats that I have include ISO, m2ts, mkv, avi, and mpg. I know that avi should not be a problem but the others I am not sure about. The one I am most concerned with is the .m2ts. These full quality blu-ray rips (25-40gb). Does anyone know of a player that has the capabilities of playing these formats through USB? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_hatcher View Post

I am in the market for a new player. I am doing away with my DVR because we have started using OTA directly into our TV's and have subscriptions to Hulu Plus and Netflix. We do how ever have a smallish video collection that we are going to keep from the DVR that I have transferred to a 2tb external HDD. I would like to find a player that will allow me to hook the external HDD up and watch the video's on it when we feel like it. I know this is possible but I am concerned about the formats they will play. The formats that I have include ISO, m2ts, mkv, avi, and mpg. I know that avi should not be a problem but the others I am not sure about. The one I am most concerned with is the .m2ts. These full quality blu-ray rips (25-40gb). Does anyone know of a player that has the capabilities of playing these formats through USB? Thanks in advance

Price range? The OPPOs play those formats apart from ISO, which isn't available on any BR player. Some media server products will do it, though.

Something to watch: a player may support the container but not support all the A/V codecs found in those containers. For example, OPPO does not do hidef audio in MKV, although such audio is supported in M2TS and AVCHD.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page