BD plays music CD's as well - - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Vizio 47" tv (about 4 yrs old) and have Never owned a Blu Ray player and am shopping now. In your opinion does a Blu Ray player that also plays CD's (not sure of terminology) do as well as buying an individual CD player? I need a new CD player as well.
As you've probably surmised, I am Not technical, but do try and buy in the mid-range price catergories when buying A/V equipment. Right now I do Not have surround sound either. I had my Snell E111's refurbished and hope to use them as my left/right main speakers, need all the rest of the equipment. Going to buy as I can, probably some used, refurbed equipment and pay as I go. sigh. My finances are such I need to do so, maybe spend an additional $1000.-1400. for receiver, center speaker, and satelite speakers. Buying the Blu Ray is seperate deal. The receiver is tricky for me as their are so many new advancements and uses (internet content,surround sound channels, etc).
Please comment and advise, yall really have helped me in the past few years and now that I am trying to get back into stereo listening, I need your valuable help. THANKS ahead of time, sorry for long post.

the impossible happens everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
BD players make excellent CD players. If you get one with GraceNote (like Sony, LG and a few others), it will also show track names and album art. However, if you are a musician who does analysis or transcription, you'll find a CD player is better because you can set A-B repeat segments, change playback speed, etc. So it depends on your requirements. I use a PC for that kind of thing anyway, so a BD player still works fine for me. One other thing to consider is the type of CD's you have. Only certain players can handle formats like SACD and DVD-A. I doubt your current CD player handles those anyway.

But these days, it's more convenient to rip all your CD's to a computer and stream your music via DLNA instead of shuffling discs, IMO. That way you can search/sort by artist, album, title, genre, etc., and make any number of folders or play lists. Most BD players can do that as well.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 473
I recently purchased the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD. Great universal player. I have Blu-Rays, some SACDs and DVD-As, as well as CDs, and am very happy with the performance. I also use an Escient Fireball, with all tunes ripped using FLAC, and still find that the Cambridge is a better music player.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Nice player, but kind of blows the OP's entire home theater budget.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
as I go forward. Yes, the Oppo is pricey for me, but I do like to read about the advancements and learn. I figure it would help buying a Blu Ray that could do cd's as well, just wasn't sure what yall thought of a "multi" purpose piece of equipment. First I'm going to get the MUSIC started then I will work on a mid priced surround system. The shop that fixed my Snell E111 speakers has some USED equipment and may sell me some stuff. But want to make sure I'm not buying "under" what I could get new (or advanced). I'm patient when buying for the surround, but will want a new receiver and ability to play cd music sooner. Not even sure what the SCAD format is!! lol. I'm thinking it's superior sound, like the older "telarc" recordings I still have. THanks for the imput!

the impossible happens everyday
post #6 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Nice player, but kind of blows the OP's entire home theater budget.

Sorry. You are right. I must have been listening to too much 60's psychedelic rock, when I wrote the response, so I didn't pay attention to the budget.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post

I have a Vizio 47" tv (about 4 yrs old) and have Never owned a Blu Ray player and am shopping now. In your opinion does a Blu Ray player that also plays CD's (not sure of terminology) do as well as buying an individual CD player? I need a new CD player as well.

AFAIK, all BD players also play audio CDs. Assuming you'll be connected to an AVR with HDMI, there's no reason to worry about what player you get - as far as CD playback is concerned.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Although all BD players play CDs, the on-screen display differs quite a bit depending on the manufacturer and model. Of course, CD-only players tend not to have any on-screen display at all

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 751bd 3d Compatible Universal Blu Ray Player Black
Gear in this thread - 751bd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page