Netflix (Canada) & s-video output...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks, I'm hoping that perhaps someone has had some exposure to this...

I'm trying to help out a relative who has a somewhat complex (and older) video setup. To cut a long story short, I'm looking to find a Netflix (Canada) compatible device (not a TV, either blu-ray or a 'media/Boxee' style box) that has s-video outputs.

I totally know that the video quality is sub-par (480i) and I mentioned that to him, but he's a senior and he likely can't perceive much of a difference anyway. He's happy with his current video quality (he already has a DVD player connected via s-video to a Plasma TV) so improved video quality is not an issue here. The issue is that his devices are all linked through a matrix switch, and it only has s-video/stereo inputs. What's worse is that I know there are many players that work for Netflix in the United States and not in Canada, so I can't be sure that a player I find on the net will actually work in Canada.

Now I know my alternative is to get an HDMI to s-video converter box, and I have seen some on eBay, but for the money I know it won't be good quality hardware. It's a last resort.

Ideally I'd love to get a blu-ray player with a s-video output, which would greatly simplify matters. The problem is that I have gone though about 20 of the players listed on the Netflix Canada website, and none have s-video jacks. I've done a search on the website here as well, and I spent a good hour reading over threads. I found a thread (digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=132681) that listed Netflix Canada compatible hardware, but after checking all the blu-ray devices listed there I didn't have any luck.

My hope is that I might run across someone who actually owns a device that plays Netflix in Canada and that has a s-video jack, and they can offer up their knowledge of it. I'd also be happy with names of any other devices that people know of. What I'm thinking is that there may be older models out there with s-video that I could source as used if need be.

I've seen blu-ray players with s-video, so I know they exist. My problem is finding one that will play Netflix in Canada. While I may be out of luck, I figured I would ask around and see.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think the official Netflix app is compatible with both netflix.com and netflix.ca on most of the current Blu-Ray players and video players that support Netflix. But it probably doesn't help you with S-Video. Any modern Blu-Ray player or video player you can find that supports Netflix streaming is much too recent to support S-Video. I don't think there was any overlap in time where you would find both on one model. S-Video was out before Netflix was in. Normally your best bet for older or unusual connectors would be to try obscure Chinese brands, but Netflix won't license their app to those suppliers.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
As you have found S-video is basically a dead format with new equipment and component isn't long behind. If composite wouldn't work with his switcher then I guess I'd suggest one of the HDMI-to-S-video converters for example from Monoprice(Amazon sells a similar one also). I have such a converter but as you have noted the quality isn't up to the S-video standard(IMO not even quite up to composite) but it isn't terrible and would give you S-video with any HDMI device you chose.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've seen the same converters on eBay, and it's what I'll probably end up doing. Have you used that one in particular yourself? How bad is it...?

I know s-video is a dead format, but it's so hard to link all these devices from the different eras together. Some only have composite, some also have s-video, but then some only have component/HDMI or even HDMI alone. I considered suggesting an HDMI matrix switch, but even then you have the issue of needing s-video/composite to HDMI converters on the older devices. (Although in that situation there is less chance of signal quality issues I would think.)

Either way I guess I'll end up having to cobble something together...
post #5 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Component is pretty much dead with the Analog Sunset. Both my Panasonic and Sony have composite and came with nice little composite cables Added them to my junk cable box. Neither, on the other hand, have component hookups.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant- View Post

Yeah I've seen the same converters on eBay, and it's what I'll probably end up doing. Have you used that one in particular yourself? How bad is it...?

I purchased mine from Monoprice, it's made by Lenkeng(cheap Chinese mfg.) and branded as Monoprice. The picture quality is acceptable on a HDTV, I'd liken the S-video a tad below a good quality composite and composite slightly below that. I mainly bought it because some devices only output Wide Screen over HD outputs and my DVD Recorders only have composite or at besy S-video inputs.
Note some people like the output of these converters better than I but tend to be fussy that way
Note once you start looking you'll notice Lenkeng seems to make most of the cheap converters(they all look almost identical) but to get a higher quality unit you'd have to spend between $200-$300 which was more than I cared to spend even if the quality was better.
I kind of wanted to try this unit, doesn't look like it was made by Lenkeng but just never got around to trying it. You might want to try, but it doesn't have S-video output and I believe the composite output will turn off if what your are playing is HDCP.....the Lenkeng units don't do that(or at least mine).
http://www.hdwise.com/product.php?pr...cat=300&page=1
post #7 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

I've always wondered why most every blu-ray player has a composite connection when the output signal would be no better than had they watched the DVD version on a DVD player. While DVDs will soon become extinct, it's going to be years before that happens. So why bother with composite on blu-rays? That has always perplexed me.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant- View Post

I've always wondered why most every blu-ray player has a composite connection when the output signal would be no better than had they watched the DVD version on a DVD player. While DVDs will soon become extinct, it's going to be years before that happens. So why bother with composite on blu-rays? That has always perplexed me.

It's handy for diagnostics and emergency cases where the HDMI chain is hosed somehow. With composite you can at least see the player setup menus and try to recover.

But mainly I suspect it is industry lethargy and their idea of backward compatibility. If mom&pop already have a yellow cable attached to the TV and the new BR player works when you plug it in that way, everyone's happy, right?

-Bill
post #9 of 10 Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 PM

Liked: 14
I posted here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443848/blu-ray-players-with-s-video-out
but got told to come here. I dont have netflix but it would be nice to be able to find a blu ray player with s-video out while/if i can. Its even a struggle get component out these days too. I am pretty certain i will get a oppo 93 but i would like to find a blu ray with s-video out if i can as well. I know you can get converters etc, i am getting a HDfury at some point and all that gear but my first preference is native s-video out. I think i may have left it a bit too late though.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800865584-USE/Panasonic_DMP_BD60GAK_DMP_BD60GAK_Multi_System_Blu_ray_Disc.html
I think this Panny BD60 has everything you want with the exception of S-video out(which the previous generation did).
It's region free, NTSC/PAL compatible and has component and composite output. Oh and it's 110-220v(50-60hz) operation also.
This link is to a floor model so it will disappear when sold but generally B&H has a steady supply of such floor models and generally they are like new.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page