Optimal Bluray Player to use with Panasonic VT50 Series TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a brand new Panasonic TC-P65VT50 which looks great. I'm now looking for a Bluray Player to use with it, but have a few questions.

I have an older Onkyo TX-SR600 Audio Receiver. No HDMI connectivity. I currently use it with my Panasonic RP91 DVD Player, using a Digital Optical Audio connection. Works fine.

As my new TV is 3D capable, I obviously want a good 3D capable Bluray player. I would be inclined to think that going with a Panasonic would be a good idea, as 2 Panasonic products might play together better.

The TV has full Viera Internet connectivity, so I would think I wouldn't need redundancy of this function in the Bluray player (but realize it might be unavoidable).

I also see mention of using 2 HDMI cables to connect the Bluray player, but I'm not sure what this is about.

Suggestions on an appropriate 3D capable Bluray Player appreciated, that will work well with both my new Panasonic VT50 series TV, and my older Onkyo 600 Audio Receiver appreciated, along with info about the 2 HDMI cable connection matter.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 139
You might want to repost in the official "Help Me CHoose a Player" thread in the sticky at the top. Mods ask all requests go there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=959985

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

You might want to repost in the official "Help Me CHoose a Player" thread in the sticky at the top. Mods ask all requests go there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=959985

S~

Will do. Thanks.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

I have a brand new Panasonic TC-P65VT50 which looks great. I'm now looking for a Bluray Player to use with it, but have a few questions.

I have an older Onkyo TX-SR600 Audio Receiver. No HDMI connectivity. I currently use it with my Panasonic RP91 DVD Player, using a Digital Optical Audio connection. Works fine.

As my new TV is 3D capable, I obviously want a good 3D capable Bluray player. I would be inclined to think that going with a Panasonic would be a good idea, as 2 Panasonic products might play together better.

The TV has full Viera Internet connectivity, so I would think I wouldn't need redundancy of this function in the Bluray player (but realize it might be unavoidable).

I also see mention of using 2 HDMI cables to connect the Bluray player, but I'm not sure what this is about.

Suggestions on an appropriate 3D capable Bluray Player appreciated, that will work well with both my new Panasonic VT50 series TV, and my older Onkyo 600 Audio Receiver appreciated, along with info about the 2 HDMI cable connection matter.

Thanks!

You and I are having similar experiences with these new tv's! I purchased a Panasonic DPT220. It is inexpensive and was ver well reviewed. This setup is in my great room. I have a more dedicated room in the basement and have an Oppoo 93. The Oppo is a great player, but at about 5x the price.

We watched several blu rays on the Panasonic and it is outstanding and does 3D as well.

I also have an older Onkyo that I am going to retire to my office and upgrade to have HDMI switching and networked receiver. In the meantime the Panasonic BR through HDMI direct to the TV changes the input automatically when the BR is inserted and shuts on and off automatically with the TV remote.

The BR was on sale at Best Buy for $134. It was a little cheaper direct on Panasonic's website for $120, but I didn't want to wait.

Did you ever get your wii working?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, btinindy! I'll have a look at the DPT220.

We've got the grandkids over this morning, and they're actually playing on it, so no time to fiddle with it and try out your suggestion from last night.

So no change yet, unfortunately...

Do you know what they're talking about when some refer to using 2 HDMI cables to hook up their Bluray players? I've done some quick googling and didn't find anything yet. I'll be ordering some cables from Monoprice and want to make sure I get enough of the right type for whatever purposes I might have.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

We've got the grandkids over this morning, and they're actually playing on it, so no time to fiddle with it and try out your suggestion from last night.

Do you know what they're talking about when some refer to using 2 HDMI cables to hook up their Bluray players? I've done some quick googling and didn't find anything yet. I'll be ordering some cables from Monoprice and want to make sure I get enough of the right type for whatever purposes I might have.

Not exactly sure other than, sometimes the older AVR's will not pass 3D, so people will hookup directly to the tv and a separate connection for sound through the AVR. That is all I could think it might be.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Some people have older AVRs that don't do 3D, and lots of receivers will actually strip some color data from the signal so they go direct for the best image. It can also help if you have an HDMI handshake issue as those can occur.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #8 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Some people have older AVRs that don't do 3D, and lots of receivers will actually strip some color data from the signal so they go direct for the best image. It can also help if you have an HDMI handshake issue as those can occur.

Understood, and thanks.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
There is absolutely no reason to get a panasonic bluray player because you have a panasonic television but I do enjoy my Panasonic BDT320 a lot with my Samsung plasma .

Have the Asus BDS-700 which is also an excellent and more versatile bluray player. Personal preferences will decide which of you these like better. the BDS-700 is quiter with DVD and CD but for bluray it looses that edge for some reason. Particularly bluray 3D.

Remote is a homerun for the BDS700 I also preferr it´s interface over the BDT320 that is kind of an obstacle course probably in an attempt to make the touch pad somewhat work. Bad design decision on Panasonics part but you will get a better remote on the 220 but still sub par interface.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

There is absolutely no reason to get a panasonic bluray player because you have a panasonic television but I do enjoy my Panasonic BDT320 a lot with my Samsung plasma .

Have the Asus BDS-700 which is also an excellent and more versatile bluray player. Personal preferences will decide which of you these like better. the BDS-700 is quiter with DVD and CD but for bluray it looses that edge for some reason. Particularly bluray 3D.

Remote is a homerun for the BDS700 I also preferr it´s interface over the BDT320 that is kind of an obstacle course probably in an attempt to make the touch pad somewhat work. Bad design decision on Panasonics part but you will get a better remote on the 220 but still sub par interface.

Thanks for the input.

My needs are fairly straightforward for the Bluray player - just good picture quality all-around. As for internet connectivity and apps, I think my TV will offer a richer experience overall, so what the Bluray player offers in that regard seems to be a non-issue for me (but correct me if I'm missing something).

In terms of bang for the buck, the 220 is pretty attractive - the main complaints I've seen in reviews has to do with its WiFi connectivity being flaky, but as per above, I'll be using my TV for that, so it doesn't seem that would impact my experience with it.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the input.

My needs are fairly straightforward for the Bluray player - just good picture quality all-around. As for internet connectivity and apps, I think my TV will offer a richer experience overall, so what the Bluray player offers in that regard seems to be a non-issue for me (but correct me if I'm missing something).

In terms of bang for the buck, the 220 is pretty attractive - the main complaints I've seen in reviews has to do with its WiFi connectivity being flaky, but as per above, I'll be using my TV for that, so it doesn't seem that would impact my experience with it.

It´s often flakey on tv as well. Also it´s a matter of wich tv and which bluray player. file support differs. I don´t believe the VT50 for example offer support for ISOs for example if you use to backup your movies.

But I am really not advocating the smart functions of bluray players or TVs that is better suited for HTPC or laptops
post #12 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

It´s often flakey on tv as well. Also it´s a matter of wich tv and which bluray player. file support differs. I don´t believe the VT50 for example offer support for ISOs for example if you use to backup your movies.

But I am really not advocating the smart functions of bluray players or TVs that is better suited for HTPC or laptops

Interesting. I'm not sure how much I'll be using that stuff, as I've not had any of that functionality so far. Probably won't be a big deal one way or the other.

Thanks for your input!

post #13 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 376
DLC,

The consensus is that apps on tvs are generally far worse in terms of PQ and performance than disc players, so you should at least try the apps on your new player. Given your requirements the 220 recommended earlier is probably best.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page