What's a non-techie to do - - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to buy a BD player and I've been reading posts and learning, as I am really non-tech. That's brings up issues about "tweaking" and setting up the player when I get it. I see a lot of forum people doing all kinds of upgrading, changes, tweaks, adjustments to the player , their systems and components.
I wouldn't know WHAT to do other than what the manufacturere says to do. For example, forum posts about FLAC files (?), output choices,etc are lost on me, so I'm wondering how in the heck I'm going to be able to set up my BD player . Will a non-tech like me be lost with the instructions?? Will the instructions help me set up at least the proper way?

Right now I am BUILDING a surround sound and stereo system. I have a vintage AVR that does have surround, but I will be upgrading that by end of year. Right now the BD is so I can listen to my CD's and enjoy music. I need a cd player, so the bd player will be the wiser choices for me, until I read here I didn't know a BD player could be used as a very very good CD player as well. That's my level of expertise ! ha.

But I do want to go forward and try and put together a system I can DO. Yall sound like technicians to me and you can handle all the fine tuning your'e doing, but I need to be able to get a basic, albiet great, system without a lot of extra work. Please let me know what your thoughts are on what I can expect when I set up my BD player as a non-tech.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

the impossible happens everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-10-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post

I am about to buy a BD player and I've been reading posts and learning, as I am really non-tech. That's brings up issues about "tweaking" and setting up the player when I get it. I see a lot of forum people doing all kinds of upgrading, changes, tweaks, adjustments to the player , their systems and components.
I wouldn't know WHAT to do other than what the manufacturere says to do. For example, forum posts about FLAC files (?), output choices,etc are lost on me, so I'm wondering how in the heck I'm going to be able to set up my BD player . Will a non-tech like me be lost with the instructions?? Will the instructions help me set up at least the proper way?
Right now I am BUILDING a surround sound and stereo system. I have a vintage AVR that does have surround, but I will be upgrading that by end of year. Right now the BD is so I can listen to my CD's and enjoy music. I need a cd player, so the bd player will be the wiser choices for me, until I read here I didn't know a BD player could be used as a very very good CD player as well. That's my level of expertise ! ha.
But I do want to go forward and try and put together a system I can DO. Yall sound like technicians to me and you can handle all the fine tuning your'e doing, but I need to be able to get a basic, albiet great, system without a lot of extra work. Please let me know what your thoughts are on what I can expect when I set up my BD player as a non-tech.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Great thing about AVS is what ever gear you chose there is most likely a forum for it here with tons of great info and guidance. So lets how I can help what will be your future AVR purchase will be using Hdmi? and also what speakers. There are currently two hot players from Sony(790) and the Panasonic(500) both at great prices with the Panasonic giving you both analog(7.1 outs and special attention to the dac's) and hdmi flexibility.Depending on your budget the Oppo 95 at the upper end of the scale is a reference music player and can deliver reference bluray playback as well, but would be wasted if you go the hdmi route with good room correction from a newer AVR.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
There is very little you need to do to excellent video and audio from a Blu-ray player. A lot of what you read here is about older equipment and unusual circumstances. If you are getting a new AVR and BD player, the basic setup will be pretty much plug and play.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll tell ya as a non-techie I rely on sites like this to help me do better than average when it comes to buying, configuring, etc. of my AV gear. But reading all the really expert work some do with their equipment made me feel I wouldn't get a decent set up in the end. But, I am over that a bit now!!! The simple advice of using rca cables with my OLD receiver is an example of the kind of advice I needed and received.

I don't notice a lot of non-tech postings, but I don't let that stop me. But I do try and educate myself some so I don't burden people with useless, silly posts. lol.

THANKS. I probably am going for the Pan 500, it's superior build and audio kind of sways me. I know I could probably do the 220 and be happy, but I am the type of owner who buys ONE piece of equipment and keeps it for a long time. SO I want to keep ahead when I do purchase. Appreciate the help.

post #5 of 5 Old 06-17-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks AVS and BIslander: got the Panasonic dmp-bdt 500 and listening to my cd's using my older, but awesome, Snell 111's. This is temp till I get a new AVR and surround, but listening to music again is terrific. Was missing it since I was using a boom box or my car for past 5 years. Thanks for your patience and help, really was nice.

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page