Hook up new Blu Ray player to vintage receiver for CD"S - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would I still use HDMI cables to connect my Panny 500 to my 1989 Sherwood AV receiver? Or would I use rca cables. Right now I just want to listen to cd's. Then the next step would be BD to tv, but not there yet. I will eventually get a surround sound sysem, new AV receiver, etc. but just want to listen to my cd's until I can buy.
THANKS. p.s. the manual speaks of using HDMI cable, but not sure with such an old receiver, even though it does have dolby, AV capabilities, etc.

the impossible happens everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 19
I think RCA cables are your only option. For CDs that will be fine but you won't be able to hear the HD soundtracks on BD.
debnova likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Take a look at the back of your receiver. I sincerely doubt it has an HDMI input.
debnova likes this.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
You can probably also use either a coaxial or optical out from the player to your receiver. If your receiver has AVR functions and supports Dolby Digital, it will have either a coaxial or optical input (quite possibly both) and your player should have one or the other of these. If you use this connection, the decoding of the CDs will take place in your receiver. If it is an old receiver, the CD decoding in the BD player may be better and then the RCA stereo L and R connections will be your best bet. It is all a matter of which device does the better job with the best sonic results.
debnova likes this.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys - so, right NOW I have my damaged cd player hooked up to CD imputs. Would I then do the rca's into WHAT IMPUT? I'm not sure what you mean about "coaxil and optical". My ignorance, non tech. On my old receiver (1989) it has imputs for PHONO, CD, Tape 1, and DAT/Tape 2 in one section on left. Then toward center there are TWO seperate areas: AUDIO: w/play vid 1, play vid2 with Rec., Left Right. & Then the last area of imputs has : VIDEO: in play white, in play red, and out rec and another out record imput.

UGH> sorry , wish I could put up a pic of back of my receiver. I don't know which IMPUT your saying I should use. Again, my ignorance. If I can't figure it out I will have to wait and get someone here to come over and I don't think I know anyone any more savy about this than myself! sigh.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The CD inputs use RCA connectors so you are what you would connect to from your player for what you want to do right now. The BR player should have outputs on its back that are labeled R and L and you would connect the same kind of cable you use now with your CD player to the L and R CD inputs on your receiver if all you want to do is listen to music. If you want to use the receiver for movie sound, it would help to know what make and model your receiver is. Then we could help you figure out how to set that up with a Blu-Ray player for movie watching as well.

If you go to this web page (http://www.sherwoodusa.com/) and select Products on that web site and select Heritage, you can see older Sherwood products. Is your receiver one of the ones shown? Which one? If not shown, could you tell us the model? It is usually possible to find old user manuals and/or pictures of equipment fronts and backs if you have that information. Also which Panny player do you have? There have been at least 2 that had 500 as part of the model number. It would help to know the exact model number, including the letter designations in that number.

Optical and coaxial cables are two types of cables that do the same thing. They allow you to take the digital signal that is on a CD (or other digital music source) and send it to another device for conversion into analog audio. All audio must end up as analog audio to be played through speakers or headphones. The way you are hooked up now, you are getting an analog audio signal from the player. Some devices only allow optical cables (a cable which transmit digital data as pulses of light). Others only coaxial (which look just like RCA cables but have a slight internal difference). Some support either.
debnova likes this.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I intended to finally set up my new Panasonic 500 BD player, but ran into quest as to WHERE to plug in the RCA jacks since my old receiver (still an "avr"/dolby) doesn't have hdmi and none of the jacks I'd plub into have "optical". Since I'm getting rid of the broken CD player and using the new BD player, are you saying I now plug rca cables into the receiver 's CD INPUTS??? Then where on the back of the bd player?

Went to Sherwood link you gave, but my receiver is Not listed. It's circa 1989. jeeze. I am getting stuck on "where" to plug in the rca cables to play CD's to start. I got confused on the use of "coaxil and optical" as whether those are the cables I use or the inputs/outputs (which mine aren't labled.)

My ignorance is stopping me from enjoying music!!! I wanted to wait (money issue) on a new av receiver, but may not.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Until you can specify the exact models of your receiver and player, it will be impossible to answer your questions. You really need to know which jacks are on the back of the two units. It varies widely from brand and model as to what jacks are on rear panels.
debnova likes this.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

My sherwood receiver is RV-1340R. The Panasonic dmp-bdt 500, manufactured april 2012. I found a picture of my receivers BACK on Ebay.
I found a receiver like mine for sale and the guy had pics. That would show what I'm contending with.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I was able to locate a picture of the back of your receiver. That receiver is an old one and very short on connector types and features. A new receiver ought to be your next purchase.

Anyway, on the back of your Panasonic Blu-Ray, there is a section labeled 5.1 Channel. There is a subsection within that labeled Front. Connect the L and R outputs in that section via the same cable you used for your old CD player to the L and R CD inputs on your receiver. That should give you CD playback. Be sure you select CD on your receiver before playing anything. You could also use this for stereo DVD or Blu-Ray watching but you may need to set surround sound decoding stereo mixdown via the Setup screens in your Blu-Ray player. How to do this will be on Page 30 of your player manual, under the Analog Audio Output section. With your present setup, you will set this to 2Ch (two channel). When you upgrade your equipment and speakers, you will need to return to this and change the settings.

You should ask any future questions regarding your Blu-Ray player in the specific thread for that player in this section.
debnova likes this.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You again JG, you' ve been a real help. Yes, I need to get a new AV. I will be searching here to get ideas on which AV to buy. I appreciate your working with me, I know my ignorance is not helpfull. I thought I was in right area, sometimes the exact forum is hard to tell, but I will do as suggested. THANK YOU, I will go fwd and try your instructions. Just glad I can listen to music soon. Take care, deb.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

TO: aido , BillP,& JazzGuy: thanks to yall I am able to now use my new Panasonic dmp-bdt500 to play CD's. JazzGuy, used your last post on set-up and it worked fine. My cd's sound great with my Snell 111's. Just awesome!! It really brings me a lot of joy to get back listening to music on a real stereo instead of a boom box or in the car. I will eventually get a new AVR and surround and complete my home theatre. But now I can listen to some really awesome music and yall really helped. You didn't have to and you did. It must get kind of old answering Newbie ques, but you were kind.;-). More in the future, and I will try and do some research. Take care, deb.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You're very welcome. Always glad to help someone. Snells were always great speakers. Hope you can build your new system around them.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page