Panasonic DMP-77 series. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMP-BD77

So this seams to be a new model and I have bought it recently and would like to share my thoughts on it and eventually I will post a more detailed review but here are the initial thoughts!

Okay so I would like to say I am VERY impressed with what this guy will play! I have MKV's with all sorts of crazy combinations of audio and video and this player is great.
Positives:

-This thing will load a Blu-ray disk, and bring it right to the movies main menu faster than my 1 year old Sony DVD players that we have in our living room and two basement rooms! Its dirty and I THINK (can't say for sure) it even skips through those annoying previews...I haven't a clue but I never get aggravated anymore over waiting....

-It plays MKV's pretty well with:
H.264, MPEG-4 Visual, MPEG2 for video

-Was able to get it to play ANY .m2ts file but with Dolby TrueHD it flat out refuses to decode it let alone bit stream it, if the TrueHD has an AC-3 core along side, it will play it but usually stutters severely. Dolby TrueHD is sort of a pain in the ass with dealing with in general even though I love the codec it just isn't as useful as DTS-HD.

-Has DTS-HD Master Audio | Essentials which waters down DTS 96/24 and DTS-ES when decoded in the player BUT Will play standard DTS, DTS-ES Discrete, and DTS 96/24 in its full 6.1/6.0 with bit stream. (I know allot of people were up in arms about DTS-HD Essentials when they read the specs but honestly I prefer my AVR to decode everything if possible)

-Will play HE-AAC, and any amount of channels in AAC-LC but waters down 6ch AAC to stereo (properly without loosing channels) I don't use multichannel AAC at all so no loss.

-It decodes OR bit streams DTS-HD High Resolution audio all the way up to 96khz/24bit @ 3018kbps and beyond that bit rate it seams to stutter with bit streaming the audio...I'm guessing its a bottleneck of my USB flash drive.

-It will play DTS-HD Master Audio in an MKV container, but you must set it to internal decoding and it WILL studder unless you have a fast drive. I have confirmed its not just decoding the core as with 7.1 DTS-MA files my receiver receives 7.1 L-PCM and with 6.1 or 5.1 DTS-MA it receives 6.1 or 5.1 L-PCM properly. The DTS-MA is sort of an issue as the variable bit rate that can get high does not play nice when combined with decently high bit rate H.264 all streaming from a flash drive...for example today it just stuttered and didn't play the video with the DTS-MA until I switched my audio track to a AAC track I had in the MKV as well...sort of weird how its not reliable but whatever. Regardless if you need the reliability convert DTS-MA or TrueHD to FLAC and the player will have no trouble which brings me to my point next...

-The thing plays FLAC audio with up to 7.1 channels of 192khz and 24bit!! Yes thats right 192khz 24bit I was shocked! Oh yeah and it features a built in 192khz/24bit Digital Analog Converter for stereo analog out! Man if that was multichannel output and not just stereo I might start using my dads old Denon with multichannel analog in! The FLAC audio can be by its self or in an MKV and NEVER stutters, it decodes the FLAC and outputs it as 192khz/24bit 6channel or 8channel Linear PCM....beautiful! I have Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon ripped from Blu-ray with the 5.1 L-PCM ripped and compressed as FLAC in an MKV...sounds amazing and I can play it all from a flash drive with ease...MAN Panasonic did me a nice favor!

Some negatives are that
-The HDMI-CEC support only works to control AV volume (but my receiver doesn't play nice with it >frown.gif )
-No DVD audio support which is dumb and stupid because it supports an absurd amount of other audio features that go way past the MLP/PCM found on DVD audio
-Does not have a coaxial/optical digital output so you are reliant on HDMI to your TV then SPDIF out if you have an older receiver and not all TV's support anything other than just Dolby Digital and PCM (though some new TVs do have DTS-HD passthrough)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM

Liked: 11
I have the DMP-BDT 220 connected to my receiver via fibre-optic connection (no HDMI) and I can't get it to send a 96kHz/24bit signal to the receiver. Any ideas?

The source file is 96kHz/24bit FLAC.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Is it stereo or multichannel? I believe SPDIF can handle 96khz stereo but not multichannel unless its compressed 1510kbps DTS 96/24. My guess is you'll need to use HDMI and regardless its really the safest way to ensure you get the proper quality signal from any Blu-ray disc. My player has a stereo analog out that will do up to 192/24 if yours has that as well you might want to go the analog route.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post

Is it stereo or multichannel? I believe SPDIF can handle 96khz stereo but not multichannel unless its compressed 1510kbps DTS 96/24. My guess is you'll need to use HDMI and regardless its really the safest way to ensure you get the proper quality signal from any Blu-ray disc. My player has a stereo analog out that will do up to 192/24 if yours has that as well you might want to go the analog route.

The receiver has better DACs though.

And yes, it was only stereo 96kHz/24bit FLACs, not multichannel. I know that the receiver can accept stereo 96kHz/24bit over the optical connection as I've already done it from a PC soundcard. Well I guess it's just a limitation of the player then - they probably expected everyone to be using HDMI smile.gif. I'll be getting a decent HDMI receiver in the not-to-distant future, and until then I'll just use my PC for high resolution files.

On a side note, you said that the 77 doesn't play DVD-A, but I tried In the Court of the Crimson King in the 220 and it worked (no 96kHz/24bit over the optical from that either, by the way). Seems odd that they would only give DVD-A functionality to some players in the series...

Also, does yours sometimes revert to the main menu when it finishes playing all the audio in one folder (on a USB device)? I don't know if this is a bug or a 'Feature'.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

The receiver has better DACs though.
And yes, it was only stereo 96kHz/24bit FLACs, not multichannel. I know that the receiver can accept stereo 96kHz/24bit over the optical connection as I've already done it from a PC soundcard. Well I guess it's just a limitation of the player then - they probably expected everyone to be using HDMI smile.gif. I'll be getting a decent HDMI receiver in the not-to-distant future, and until then I'll just use my PC for high resolution files.
On a side note, you said that the 77 doesn't play DVD-A, but I tried In the Court of the Crimson King in the 220 and it worked (no 96kHz/24bit over the optical from that either, by the way). Seems odd that they would only give DVD-A functionality to some players in the series...
Also, does yours sometimes revert to the main menu when it finishes playing all the audio in one folder (on a USB device)? I don't know if this is a bug or a 'Feature'.

Well yeah of course the receiver has better DAC's its primary purpose! But yeah I can do 96/24 over optical in 2ch or 96/24 8ch's on my MacBook Pro just didn't think that was standard but just remembered DVD-Video allows stereo 96/24 its just not common (thus technically some DVD players would support it). As for DVD-Audio, does your player list DVD-Audio as supported? I just assumed I guess and never tried but now that I think about it my player supports allot of things not listed...I don't really have any DVD-Audio discs though unfortunately. The 77 doesn't have an optical or coaxial digital output at all though, only HDMI and the stereo analog out...sorta sucks I guess but my receiver is HDMI and the player already does so much so I figured it had to have an achilles heal somewhere. But yeah when its done playing audio in a folder on a USB device sometimes it goes back to the main menu...didnt really bother me I just thought it was weird...
post #6 of 17 Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM

Hello all. I was directed here by a friend on another forum, and I'm in desperate need of some help because I'm going to blow a gasket at this thing and drop kick it across the floor in a minute.

We have an extensive DVD collection and we finally upgraded to Blu-Ray (basically just so we could get special features disks on new movies) solely on the promise that our DVD's will still work. We were going along fine and dandy until I attempted to play my copy of the 2009 Star Trek film. The player, a Panasonic DMP BD77 claimed, randomly, that the disk was not the correct region.

This is, of course, absurd. Every DVD we have is Region 1, and the disk played fine on our previous Panasonic DVD player. What made the thing even more absurd is that the second disk of the two disk set played fine.

Things got busy so I put the problem on the back burner, but again, while trying to watch a set of Adams Family Dvds (again, DVD's that worked fine on our previous DVD player), the player claimed the disks were the wrong region.

The Number 1 is printed right on the disk. I've updated the firmware, I've cleaned the disk, I've done everything I can think to do. Is there any way that we can fix this problem? Has anyone ever had another problem like this? I'm getting desperate and angry here!
post #7 of 17 Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I think you should call or chat with Panasonic tech support. It is still offered as a current model on their website.

I was actually considering buying a new one today as a simple player for my mother. She just got a Panny 37E5 "smart" TV but we found that it is missing YouTube. I don't know if this is a Canada problem or if we need to go to the Viera shop and install it, but I would like to have a BASIC (no WiFi, no 3D) player that supports YouTube as a backup. Does the BD77 fit the bill?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM

I just purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD77 in Australia but it seems to be very limited in what .mkv files it will play for me. I can't work out what it will play and what it won't. It's refused to play the video for four out of five .mkv files so far, popping up an error window saying "Cannot play / Video resolution not supported", and playing only the audio.

Using the 'mplayer' program to report on the characteristics of the files I can report that the .mkv file that successfully played has these attributes:

ID_DEMUXER=lavfpref
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=H264
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1920
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=800
ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=2.4000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=8193
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=1536000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=6
ID_START_TIME=0.00
ID_LENGTH=6266.31
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0

But this file doesn't:

ID_DEMUXER=lavfpref
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=H264
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1920
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=816
ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=2.3529
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=8192
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=448000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=6
ID_START_TIME=0.00
ID_LENGTH=7141.12
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0

Nor does this 720p .mkv file:

ID_DEMUXER=lavfpref
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=H264
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1280
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=544
ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=2.3529
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=8193
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=1536000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=6
ID_START_TIME=0.00
ID_LENGTH=5309.32
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0

I have no idea why this unit will play one of the .mkv files but not any of the other ones.

Can anyone help me work this out?

Many thanks, Brad.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to know if the analog audio outs work when playing back a BD?

- AVStefan
post #10 of 17 Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 PM

So, I eventually got a replacement player after a nightmare of tech support in which they ended up demanding I send the Blu-Ray player to them on my own dime to their tech support place in Texas (Cost: 30 bucks, 1/3 of what I paid for the damn thing initially).

The replacement player played the DVD's I was having trouble with. Yay. At least it's-

WHAT? NEW DVD'S ARE BEING LABELED AS THE WRONG REGION?

Panasonic's a joke. Don't buy their crappy Blu-Ray players. I've been a Panasonic customer for years, and I will never buy another one again after the tech support nonsense they've put me through. I'm furious.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM

I am in Australia. My mum just bought one of these Blue Ray Players being a multi region player but found it only plays some regions. Dose anyone know of and unlock code.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobgobang View Post

Dose anyone know of and unlock code.

The unlock code would be for DVD and not BD, correct?

Does anyone know what it is for the BD77?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #13 of 17 Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 PM

So, here's my first post, and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here!

I have my home theater set up, but I've been out of the game for quite a while. So much so, that my primary modes of decoding are either DD or DTS. My receiver does what I need and I've been quite happy.

HOWEVER,... recently, I was given a special Bang & Olufsen DTS-HD MA copy of the soundtrack of Les Miserables. The only problem was, I didn't have a blu-ray player (yes, that's how long out of the game I've been!).

Luckily, I found a Panasonic DMP-BD77 on Craigslist for $30! And it was factory sealed! I was SO happy!... until I opened the box... and then I wasn't. The damn thing didn't have the Coaxial/Digital out that I was expecting! Yes, maybe my fault for not checking, but I assumed this was a standard connection at least. I mean, come on, this thing has a standard RCA video out for crying out loud! Who the hell is that connection for?

Anyway, here is my dilema. I know I need a new(er) receiver to get the surround sound from the blu-ray movies I will get in the future BUT...
- Do I need a receiver that has the DTS-HD MA badge?

If I understand correctly, this particular player has a DTS-HD MA decoder built in, and all I would need at this point would be a receiver that has an HDMI IN, correct? (BTW, I'm not sure if this player has a built in decoder, the manual doesn't have much info when it comes to that!)

Well that's my dilema! I have great picture... but crappy television speaker sound!... for now =)
post #14 of 17 Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 PM

I purchased a DMP BD77 17July 2012 from JB HiFi it was not used straight away as it was a present so was not used for about 3 / 4 weeks, on the 22 Aug 2013 it went nuts, it will not respond to the remote, ( new batteries fitted , no improvement) will not switch on or off, switch on manually and when you press remote all you get is SET1 displayed, does any one know want the fault codes mean, I triend the Trouble shooting manual but the remote does not respend to the instructions given. Strange thing is the remote for the Panasonic Plasma TV will switch the BD77 on and off.
Any ideas, I have sent a request to Panasonic but no answer>
post #15 of 17 Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
post #16 of 17 Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the remote addressable? Maybe it got switched from set 1 to set 2 or vice versa.

- AVStefan
post #17 of 17 Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleC View Post

So, here's my first post, and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here!

I have my home theater set up, but I've been out of the game for quite a while. So much so, that my primary modes of decoding are either DD or DTS. My receiver does what I need and I've been quite happy.

HOWEVER,... recently, I was given a special Bang & Olufsen DTS-HD MA copy of the soundtrack of Les Miserables. The only problem was, I didn't have a blu-ray player (yes, that's how long out of the game I've been!).

Luckily, I found a Panasonic DMP-BD77 on Craigslist for $30! And it was factory sealed! I was SO happy!... until I opened the box... and then I wasn't. The damn thing didn't have the Coaxial/Digital out that I was expecting! Yes, maybe my fault for not checking, but I assumed this was a standard connection at least. I mean, come on, this thing has a standard RCA video out for crying out loud! Who the hell is that connection for?

Anyway, here is my dilema. I know I need a new(er) receiver to get the surround sound from the blu-ray movies I will get in the future BUT...
- Do I need a receiver that has the DTS-HD MA badge?

If I understand correctly, this particular player has a DTS-HD MA decoder built in, and all I would need at this point would be a receiver that has an HDMI IN, correct? (BTW, I'm not sure if this player has a built in decoder, the manual doesn't have much info when it comes to that!)

Well that's my dilema! I have great picture... but crappy television speaker sound!... for now =)

You need a receiver that will decode audio via HDMI and pass the video via HDMI. If a receiver says it is HDMI pass thru only like the Onkyo HTR-550 or several Sherwood branded receivers, they won't cut it. The BD-77 can down mix to 2 channel PCM so that explains the analog left and right audio outputs, the Pansonic can decode the DTS HD and Dolby HD formats and output them via bitstream from HDMI. I have a Panasonic BD-77 still in its box in my closet. I used it for a few weeks but had so many incompatibilities between it and the majority of the codecs I use I ended up replacing it with a different brand of Blu-Ray player. Another option would be to check your TV for audio compatibility between HDMI and the optical output (if you have one on the TV) most newer sets can take an HDMI audio and output it via optical AC3 Dolby codec. You didn't mention what you have for a TV but it might be a solution in that configuration at least temporarily.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd77 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page