Samsung BD-D5100 USB output power? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I couldn't find an "official" thread on this player, so I'll just ask here.

I want to buy a 1TB Buffalo portable external drive to use with my Samsung BD-D5100 Blu-ray player. I'm currently using a 250 gig external drive with it now, and it works great, but it's powered by 115VAC from the wall. I used to have a Philips DVD player that was not capable of powering an external drive according to the posts on here, but that's been many years ago.

The Buffalo drive requires 5.0VDC and uses 3.1 watts max according to the spec sheet. I don't want to buy it if it won't work with my player. Has anyone used one of these little USB powered hard drives with a similar Samsung player?

TIA

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use my Western Digital portable 2.5" HDD powered from the USB port of my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray player successfully.

But USB ports are only officially required to supply up to 500ma at 5 volts = 2.5 watts. A portable HDD can draw more than that, and the one you are looking at apparently does at 3.1 watts. Many USB ports can supply more than the officially-required 500ma of current, but there are no guarantees. You would definitely be exceeding the spec.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the reply. I just didn't know if the Samsung put out the same power as a laptop would. If so, it should be all right. After all, these USB powered hard drives are meant to be used with laptops which, as you say, are only 5V, 500mA outputs.

The 3.1 watts max is only during the initial spool up from what I hear. During normal running it's only about 2 watts or less.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Electronics Bd D5100 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Samsung Bd D5100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Blu Ray Dvd Player Bd D5100
Gear in this thread - D5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page