seeking advice - buying used - OPPO 981 vs. Rotel RDV 1040 vs Blu-Ray in terms of audio CD playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello y'all,

Posted this to the SD DVD area, and thought I'd ask here, too.

I've been shopping the local online listings, thinking toward buying a Blu-Ray player that is also a good Redbook CD player, but, well, the little bit of research I've done doesn't really point to a clear choice in the $150-ish used market.

I'm not even sure where I stand on the, 'wire is wire and bits are bits' versus 'tweak everything' religious divide, further hampering my decision making. I have no idea if I could hear the difference between a CD being played through a less expensive DVD player, then played through a costly audiophile CD player. But just in case there is an audible difference between the two, I'm now leaning toward getting an older, semi-audiophile, non-HD/Blu-Ray DVD player with a reputation for good audio. Enter OPPO 981 vs. Rotel RDV 1040. I'm thinking I could add an AppleTV or somesuch for streaming HD, and (possibly) be happier with my audio CDs.

I like that the Oppo up-converts video. I like the Rotel audio reputation. Price of the two are roughly the same. Assuming their SD video output is very similar, is one the clear winner in CD audio playback? Or, 'bits are bits', and get a used Sony Blu-ray player, because audio CDs will sound the same in all three, but the Blu-Ray picture is so much better than SD?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 349
What's your connection to the receiver? If digital, bits is bits. (I'm forgetting if the 981 had HDCD decoding; would that be important to you?)

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Currently I just have an analog preamp, and would be using the stereo out jacks.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopguru View Post

Currently I just have an analog preamp, and would be using the stereo out jacks.

Then bits are not bits, and analog boards are everything. Most of the newer BD players with analog outs will meet or beat those older players for analog audio quality.
If your plan is to continue an updating process, a BD player seems more future proof. In your price range, the differences in the perceivable audio quality of analog out don't add up to much, so go with whatever seems to fill the future needs as well as present.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies - I wonder, would that advice extend to choosing a Sony or Samsung or other mass market Blu-Ray player over the upscaling Oppo 981 DVD player?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
If your plan is to eventually update to digital audio, does it matter? The analog quality differences will be quite small.

The Oppo is a universal player with support for SACD and DVD-A, region free capability, etc. If those things don't matter then get whatever will meet your future needs.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Dv 981hd Universal Dvd Player With Hdmi 1080p Up Converting Divx Sacd
Gear in this thread - 981hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page