Blu Ray Players with "full range" RGB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody.

I need to find a blu ray player that outputs 0-255 RGB (and not "video" 16-235) to be connected to a Digital Cinema Projector, which does not have any "limited" RGB range available in the options.

I know the playstation can be set either way, but I am looking for something on the cheap side, but good brand.

I have seen an old SONY which was outputting 16-235 only and a more recent Panasonic, which was outputting 0-255 for Blu Rays and 16-236 for DVDs.

If any of you could give me some help that would be very appreciated, I have been looking the net for a while but with not much luck.

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So what are you after specifically:

- A player that doesn't clip data above 235 and below 16
or
- A player that expands the 16-235 range to the entire 0-255 range

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 250
You'd be best served simply by correctly calibrating your display for 16-235 input. The only reason to use 0-255 input would be from a PC source where that's what's in use.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

rdgrimes,

As mentioned, it's a Digital Cinema Projector and unfortunately (or thanfully!) there are NO such options. The range accepted is the full one, full stop!

Smackrabbit,
That's an interesting question. I would say expanding. I don't want to loose anything. The PS3 does the job perfectly! Anyway, as far as I know Blu Rays are made 0-255, it should be in the specs.

Thanks
Tony
post #5 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony359 View Post

rdgrimes,
As mentioned, it's a Digital Cinema Projector and unfortunately (or thanfully!) there are NO such options. The range accepted is the full one, full stop!

There has to be a way to adjust the black and white levels on the projector. It doesn't matter which you feed it, it simply needs to be adjusted appropriately. Feeding it 16-235 will only mean that BTB and WTW might be clipped (depending on the device), but you can still adjust it to compensate.

In any case, I know that Panasonic players offer both types RGB, they just don't call it that. It's called "brightness" or some such setting. "lighter" usually gets you 16-235 and "darker" gets you 0-255.

And FWIW, BD discs are not authored in 0-255, but 16-235. However many are also authored with BTB and WTW content. Most players with this adjustment are merely squeezing or stretching the color space, some clip it. If you feed 16-235 to your PJ, it's simply going to stretch it, just as the player could. Whichever end of the chain does the stretching, the PJ still needs to be calibrated for that input.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

You have to trust me unfortunately, there is no adjustment available on D-Cinema DLP projectors. If you buy a scaler it's another story.
The problem is that a BD player I tried to use was outputting 0-255 on BD and 16-235 on DVD. Staff is not capable of adjusting those settings on the fly when it happens, this is why I am looking for a player that once the levels are set, are not changing randomly!

BTW, the BD player I'm talking about is a Panasonic.

About authoring, I'll check my sources, I can't remember where I read it.

THanks
post #7 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony359 View Post

BTW, the BD player I'm talking about is a Panasonic.

Look for separate settings for "brightness" or the like for HD and SD video. The Panasonic should have that, at least others I've had do. I'd guess you might run into similar SD vs HD color space issues with many devices. It's not a "random" change, they are different, SD and HD.

Oppo, on the other hand has no such issues. Look for a used BDP-80, prices generally range $150-225. Plus you'd get actual support, and cheap repairs if needed.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not talking about colour space change I am aware of the difference.
When I say "random" I mean that if any system had a different player installed, every system will behave in a different way.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 3 80gb System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page