Blu-ray DAC vs. Receiver DAC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new here so please direct me to the right place if I am in the wrong place but here is my question.

I own a Harman Kardon AVR 8000 THX. The best HK receiver until about 2005 when it was discontinued. I love it and do not plan on replacing it for a while.

I own a PS3 and watch all of my blu-rays on there via. optical audio. I want to experience the new lossless formats so the only way I can do that is with multi-channel analog outputs.

But that gave way to another thought: would I be better off still using the 5.1 DD and DTS via PS3 and utilizing the great DACs in my receiver, versus a Blu-Ray players DAC but outputting the lossless formats?

I am mainly looking at used gear. I can't justify paying retail. So I am looking at $200 and under. So the Sony BDP-S550 and Panasonic dmp bd85 are the front runners. But I also haven't been looking for that long either. Any input you could give me would be great thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Neither player you mentioned is suitable. Although some people do it, now six years into Blu-ray finding a player to suit an old receiver, however top class it was, isn't the way to go any more. Maybe for equipment costing over $10k...

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm pretty sure by using the analog plugs, the receivers' DACs would be used. Since the receiver doesn't decode lossless formats, you would get the lossy core track.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

I'm pretty sure by using the analog plugs, the receivers' DACs would be used. Since the receiver doesn't decode lossless formats, you would get the lossy core track.

Both players he's considering decode Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD and send the result out as analog over the 7.1 analog outputs. Either one would work fine with his legacy HK receiver, although they're a bit long in the tooth by technology standards.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

The DAC would only be used if he was sending it a digital signal, hence Digital to Analog Converter. If he is sending it an analog track, the only way the DAC would be used is if the signal was first re-digitized for doing room correction or bass management, but very few receivers can do that on a multichannel analog input, so it's very unlikely to be the case.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com

Tags
Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread - S550 by PriceGrabber.com