Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the USB ports be USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by margolbe View Post

There's no benefit to USB3 in a player.
post #273 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There's no benefit to USB3 in a player.

No matter how you feel about it...I too would like to know if it has it.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #274 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 978
^ Patience. OPPO says they expect to publish specs in 2 weeks.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #275 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM

This isn't the "Patience" thread, it's the "Anticipation" thread. You NDA guys are a bit of a tease smile.gif I completely understand that you can't talk about this stuff by contract, but it may be good to stay out of the thread until your NDAs expire, rather than retelling folks that you have cool info you can't share with them, and getting flustered that they asked.
post #276 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 978
Oh noes! They've asked a question! biggrin.gif

Not everyone asking here knows what info has already been released. The stuff that's out we can talk about. The rest, we let people know they'll need to wait a while longer.

Nothing wrong with any of that.

(Anticipation vs. Instant Gratification?)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #277 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Patience. OPPO says they expect to publish specs in 2 weeks.
--Bob
will pricing be included with the published specs? i currently have a bdp-95 and have another 20 days or so to return it. pricing as well as features info would be very helpful in my making a decision.
post #278 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
OPPO doesn't put anything on their website without a price attached to it. So once you see some official statement from OPPO, you will likely know everything about the product, including release time frame and final pricing.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #279 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Oh noes! They've asked a question! biggrin.gif
Not everyone asking here knows what info has already been released. The stuff that's out we can talk about. The rest, we let people know they'll need to wait a while longer.
Nothing wrong with any of that.
(Anticipation vs. Instant Gratification?)
--Bob

Anticipation is making me wait!
For those not old enough that was the famous line from a Heinz ketchup commercial in the late 1970's. This is when they had glass bottles and it would take time for the ketchup to come out.
These guys should slow down because before I know it I will be shoveling snow and getting 700 dollar a month heating oil bills.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #280 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Anticipation is making me wait!
For those not old enough that was the famous line from a Heinz ketchup commercial in the late 1970's. This is when they had glass bottles and it would take time for the ketchup to come out.

Sung by???
post #281 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Carly Simon?
post #282 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Carly Simon?

Yes...and you guys are making me feel real old since I remember that commercial as a very young child. It aired for years.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #283 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Might as well post a link to the video...

Heinz commercial
post #284 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Not sure this is true.

Wouldn't the greater transfer speed help?
post #285 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 PM

I would also like to know if the way 103/105 handles media files via USB is more sophisticated. Ideally, I would love something like JRiver, but at the very least would like more flexibility in setting up smartlists, as well as file playback/organization.
post #286 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You are right. Something effected the quote. Also look at the pencil icon in the lower left corner of any of your posts. Click on that and you will be able to edit your posts after you submit them. Enjoy. smile.gif

Thanks for the Pencil tip: some other forums I have been on actually had an "EDIT" button, and I couldn't see that here. I'll remember the pencil!!!
post #287 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

It takes no more than a couple of minutes to convert a single album of tracks from ALAC/AIFF to FLAC. If I'm not mistaken, a batch file can be set up in Foobar to do the conversion. Otherwise, it's basically a point-and-click process. While you might consider that time-consuming, the convenience of being able to play FLAC files natively through the Oppo far outweighs the one-time effort spent for the conversion process. It certainly would be nowhere near the time I spent re-ripping many hundreds of CD's from mp3 to FLAC several years ago. That process took a few months, but I started with my favorites and eventually I got around to re-ripping all my CD's.
Also, if someone wants to eventually rip multichannel tracks from DVD-A or BD discs, FLAC is the way to go (again, IMO), although I believe there are some tools such as DVD Audio Extractor that will rip and convert multichannel tracks to ALAC. Rather than lamenting the lack of support for ALAC/AIFF, using a free, non-proprietary, and widely supported format like FLAC is a no-brainer to me.

I use DB PowerAmp for digitizing my cd's to Flac, but it also comes with a multi-format converter which can be used in batch mode: just nominate all the aiff files you want to convert, put them into the "batch", click convert, and go away and have a cuppa (or bottle!!). It is quite fast in converting batches of files from virtually any format to any other. it isn't free, but relatively cheap. I have ripped over 150 cd''s to flac, and then batch-converted to mp3. I use flac in the my main sound system, and the mp3's in the car.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
lanping09 likes this.
post #288 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You are right. Something effected the quote. Also look at the pencil icon in the lower left corner of any of your posts. Click on that and you will be able to edit your posts after you submit them. Enjoy. smile.gif

Thanks for the Pencil tip: some other forums I have been on actually had an "EDIT" button, and I couldn't see that here. I'll remember the pencil!!!
The pencil icon is part of the resent full redesign of the AVS web site. Not long ago we had an edit button. All icons identify themselves if you float the mouse pointer over them.
post #289 of 2833 Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Will Cinavia affect the playback of my MKV files for some of my TV DVD series?
post #290 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 62
New article from the folks over at Everything Audio entitled Audiophile Player Preview! OPPO Readies New Flagship BDP-105 With Onboard Headphone Amp, Digital Inputs. They claim, among other tidbits, "[p]ricing will stay the same at $499 and $999."
post #291 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's great news,all's left for a 3rd party to come up with a modification kit to play all region's and zone's for both BD & DVD.
post #292 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 AM
8mh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Here here, especially for the exorbitant licensing prices *holds tongue* Apple *releases tongue* is charging. Honestly, if they were not exorbitant, there would be more widespread acceptance. Common sense 101.

Perhaps your Apple hatred has blinded you to the fact that ALAC is open source:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/27/apples-alac-codec-is-now-open-source/
post #293 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post

will pricing be included with the published specs? i currently have a bdp-95 and have another 20 days or so to return it. pricing as well as features info would be very helpful in my making a decision.

The 103 will go for $499.
post #294 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

Not sure this is true.

Wouldn't the greater transfer speed help?

USB3 over 2? No, the speed only needs to be fast enough, which USB 2 is. Faster than that does you no good. You don't copy masses of files into the player, it just reads one at a time.

Your car could have a speedometer that went to 1000mph, but it would have no benefit.

-Bill
post #295 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mh View Post

I must've missed that development. Some of the comments are full of hilarity. Almost a year has passed, yet there still seems to be a noticeable lack of adoption outside of Apple devices, which tells me few, if any, are willing to take the risk of getting raked over the coals for royalties (as a comment appropriately points out, open source does not equate to royalty-free). If the announced specs of the Oppo reveal support for the format, then you'll know we've arrived. If not, lol. This quote from the link is also quite presumptuous and typical of the cult:
Quote:
If more people begin adopting ALAC instead of FLAC, it'll make life a lot easier for audiophiles.
Translation: Submit to Apple or be assimilated, fools. tongue.gif
post #296 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

Will Cinavia affect the playback of my MKV files for some of my TV DVD series?

If the DVDs have Cinavia watermarking. It's not being used on DVDs as much as on Blu-ray yet and I haven't seen TV series on the list at all.

This is the only list I know of: http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html, but I don't know about its completeness or accuracy.

-Bill
post #297 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I use DB PowerAmp for digitizing my cd's to Flac, but it also comes with a multi-format converter which can be used in batch mode: just nominate all the aiff files you want to convert, put them into the "batch", click convert, and go away and have a cuppa (or bottle!!). It is quite fast in converting batches of files from virtually any format to any other. it isn't free, but relatively cheap. I have ripped over 150 cd''s to flac, and then batch-converted to mp3. I use flac in the my main sound system, and the mp3's in the car.

Although I don't use dBpoweramp, I've heard enough praise from many users that I'm sure it's a great program. I do something similar with MediaMonkey, when I use it to batch convert FLAC files to MP3 to synch to my iPod for use in my car. I had it synch/convert overnight when I first loaded my 160 GB iPod, and then after the initial conversion, updates to add files are relatively quick.

Audio file conversion should not be a big deal, especially for archived, lossless audio files. Obviously, transcoding lossy files to another format should be avoided.

edit: I have a 3TB HDD filled with FLAC files (CD, DVD-A, SACD and BD rips) so I do understand there is a time element involved.
lanping09 likes this.
post #298 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mh View Post

I understand this wasn't directed at me, but while I'm not necessarily anti-Apple - in my house I have 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, and more retired iPods than I can count - in the audio world, there are so many better options than Apple products, especially iTunes.

It will be interesting to see how ALAC will be accepted now that it is open-source. I don't have a problem if Oppo incorporates ALAC/AIFF support in the 103/105, as long as it doesn't involve a significant price increase to do so.
lanping09 likes this.
post #299 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

You probably already know this, but dbPowerAmp is not Mac compatible, though it can be used in conjunction with iTunes on a Windows computer.
post #300 of 2833 Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
8mh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I must've missed that development. Some of the comments are full of hilarity. Almost a year has passed, yet there still seems to be a noticeable lack of adoption outside of Apple devices, which tells me few, if any, are willing to take the risk of getting raked over the coals for royalties (as a comment appropriately points out, open source does not equate to royalty-free). If the announced specs of the Oppo reveal support for the format, then you'll know we've arrived. If not, lol. This quote from the link is also quite presumptuous and typical of the cult:
Translation: Submit to Apple or be assimilated, fools. tongue.gif

You must have also missed the part of the article that states that the ALAC source is available under the Apache license and according to Wikipedia, "The Apache License is a free software license authored by the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). The Apache License requires preservation of the copyright notice and disclaimer."
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player