Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

From Neflix point of view, they want to be on as many devices as possible offering the best service and user experience they can.
From Oppo's point of view, they want to sell their new players. They want owners of their previous generation players to upgrade. If that means providing them with a improved Netflix experience then there you go ... makes no business sense from their point of view to upgrade the Netflix experience on older players ..... not even considering if the player itself can support the UI and 1080p/DD+ streams.

I understand that Oppo could use this as a product differentiator for upgrades, and if they had a history of doing something similar with any of their other products, I could almost even believe it. But logistically, Netflix has to maintain quality control on all of the apps that they write, which means they have to draw the line somewhere and simply not write/update apps for some of the hundreds if not thousands of platforms they've supported over the years. Not enough time/manpower/money. Maybe some PHB made a rule to make things easy: Unless the player has over 10% marketshare, we stop providing updates after 18 months. Now I just made that up, but it's actually the sort of cost-control rule a company like Netflix could reasonably come up with. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope Netflix makes an updated app for the 93.

EDIT: Just saw JazzGuyy's post. You've gotta be effing kidding me. I guess that settles it, then, it's Netflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The BDP-9x series of players does not have the required security which satisfies Netflix, so Netflix is not offering their support to continue to update the Netflix UI for the BDP-9x series of players.

While the specifics of this make me sad (and a little bewildered--subtitles require security? really? I'm not sure the ADA agrees with you on that, Netflix), in general I guess that makes me happier with the BDP-93. Every media security feature is some sort of PITA somewhere down the line, and I suspect in the long term I might be happier not to have it, whatever it is.
post #603 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yea, and analog audio will be gone from OPPO on their next model releases - and OPPO and that analog sunset bull is screwing older people and poorer people and people who want to keep their older tv's in service.

They all say it will prevent illegal copies and trading, yet look at what is going on in the world, since all these "protections" bootlegs and illegal copies are actually more available then less available - all these "protections" implemented are to screw over people like me and many others who legally use their equipment.
post #604 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.o604 View Post

yea, and analog audio will be gone from OPPO on their next model releases - and OPPO and that analog sunset bull is screwing older people and poorer people and people who want to keep their older tv's in service.
They all say it will prevent illegal copies and trading, yet look at what is going on in the world, since all these "protections" bootlegs and illegal copies are actually more available then less available - all these "protections" implemented are to screw over people like me and many others who legally use their equipment.

What's with you and Oppo? Were you fired from Oppo? I have never been a fan of Oppo but I can see the merits of their product and finally the 103 fits my bill.

You talked about Oppo screwing older and poorer people. Look at their target demographic. Their target demographic are people in the bleeding edge. Not "old" people or "poor" people.
There is Dynex and other brands that sell for around $70 for your "old" and "poor" people rolleyes.gif
tkbryant, tbassny and scanspeak like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #605 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

While the specifics of this make me sad (and a little bewildered--subtitles require security? really?

The ability to change the subtitles on the fly is part of an overall update to the Netflix interface. Since the interface is pushed out by Netflix, they can determine what devices get the newer interface. Netflix does not own any of the content that they stream, so it is in their best interest to ensure the security of their licensed material. Some devices were able to upgrade their firmware to allow for the newer interface, while other players were unfortunately not within the required upgrade criteria.
post #606 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The ability to change the subtitles on the fly is part of an overall update to the Netflix interface. Since the interface is pushed out by Netflix, they can determine what devices get the newer interface. Netflix does not own any of the content that they stream, so it is in their best interest to ensure the security of their licensed material. Some devices were able to upgrade their firmware to allow for the newer interface, while other players were unfortunately not within the required upgrade criteria.

They do own some of the content. Be it tiny. They have began making their own shows. Lilyhammer was the first, to be followed up by House of Cards. Amazon vod is following suit too. Hulu is co-financing the 4th season of "The Thick of it" with the BBC.
post #607 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Something was recently posted (though I can't immediately find the reference) to the effect that the hardware of the 93/95 is lacking some feature that Netflix feels is necessary before they allow their new software to be put on a player. I believe it has something to do with security. Since the hardware can't be changed, Netflix is not allowing the software to be upgraded on the 93/95. The 103/105 do support the missing feature and can thus get the newer, better software.

I see, but from a security point of view, I'm not sure I understand. We're really only talking about improving 720p streams to 1080p and Stereo audio to DD+ 5.1 aren't we? I'm not sure of the additional security you would enforce on devices (if one was Netflix) to support these two features?

I guess it's a moot point at the end of the day. There is no upgrade for the older players, and the new players support the latest and greatest ... end of story ! Time to start saving up.
post #608 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Streaming stick info folks (that will be compatible with the 103)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57516280-221/roku-streaming-stick-coming-in-october-for-$99-while-mobile-app-adds-airplay-esque-streaming/

and

http://www.roku.com/streamingstick

Timing or what ?!

One thought I had about this device was, did MHL also provide a wired ethernet connection to the stick? I guess not. The Roku stick has its own Wifi connection. This seems a bit clunky. Lets say you hard wired your 103 to your network using wired Ethernet ... its a shame the Roku stick can't utilize the 103s wired Ethernet through the MHL interface.
post #609 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

I see, but from a security point of view, I'm not sure I understand. We're really only talking about improving 720p streams to 1080p and Stereo audio to DD+ 5.1 aren't we? I'm not sure of the additional security you would enforce on devices (if one was Netflix) to support these two features?
Keep in mind that nobody is claiming that the reasoning behind any decision Netflix makes is logical smile.gif.
post #610 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
What else can you expect from a company that at one time tried to abandon a whole class of its customers.

post #611 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

One thought I had about this device was, did MHL also provide a wired ethernet connection to the stick? I guess not. The Roku stick has its own Wifi connection. This seems a bit clunky. Lets say you hard wired your 103 to your network using wired Ethernet ... its a shame the Roku stick can't utilize the 103s wired Ethernet through the MHL interface.

I hadn't thought about that - wireless only? Hopefully, that's not a weakness of using the Roku stick.
post #612 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM

Liked: 14
Oppo is not completely on the "bleeding edge". In addition to hard media playback, bleeding edge would be catering to the music lover that has backed up their very rare LP collection, cassette, and cd collection to FLAC in order to preserve them. And also catering to the ones with extensive live concert collections, going back 50 years. These historical documents are stored in the most popular lossless storage format, called FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). And it is imperative playback is gapless (some people are picky about that kind of thing when listening to music...). On the audio side, these are the type of people that do/would appreciate a company like oppo most.

Dont know why that guy is complaining about usb 3.0. My understanding is that USB 2.0 is more suitable for music playabck than 3.0. I saw some info on audio quests website about it. Check them out they make usb and other cable types.

Just read this on Oppo's website, "The BDP-103 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats"

That statement needs to be ammended. "The BDP-103 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats. However, FLAC playback is not gapless, in the very rare case you want to play a single FLAC file only, you should be fine. Please excuse this minor indulgence, we just think its cool being able to say the player plays FLAC but wanted to be clear and let you know before you drop 500-1200 on a unit"
post #613 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
^^^I'm through ranting about it (for now), but I completely agree.
post #614 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 PM

As a BDP-93 owner, the 103 looks nice feature enhancement wise. I think the speed increase is a really nice increment.

I'd sure be interested in upgrading,........ but the Cinavia integration kills it for me frown.gif

Nothing Oppo can do about it I know. I still love Oppo the company and the work they do. Let's hope a "Cinavia" work-around eventuates, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dennis.
post #615 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM

A laptop, for instance, can be connected via the asynchronous USB port. Has it been confirmed that the same laptop can be connected via HDMI too?? If HDMI, would it be able to make use of the DAC?

Uh oh, a light bulb just went off, even if I can plug laptop into Asynch USB port its not like i can pull up foobar or media monkey and play the FLAC files gapless thru the player. Right?
post #616 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Liked: 12
Any idea if the Bdp-103/105 will be able to play .dff files?

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #617 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I hadn't thought about that - wireless only? Hopefully, that's not a weakness of using the Roku stick.

The Roku Stick can ONLY connect via wireless. This is also true of all their media boxes except one.
post #618 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The DIAG (Diagnostic) output is Composite Video, but it is muted to black whenever any content is playing. It is only useful for viewing the Setup menus while nothing is playing -- for example, if something gets so screwed up in your HDMI output settings that you can't easily recover while still using HDMI. Use DIAG to get into Setup and Reset or adjust things.
--Bob
What if one was using the 103 as an "audio only" player. could the composite out be used to display disc info, such as track no. and timings?

William R. Moore
post #619 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM

If you can playback gapless from computer via usb/hdmi, then I'm not as disappointed, and would view the unit as a useful upgrade actually. But still not sure if I would plug into receiver instead of Oppo. I would test and see what sounds better but having both is nice and convenient.

The Oppo still needs to handle gapless via external hard drive tho.

Still that would be cool. I would just connect the external drive to laptop and plug into oppo via USB and/or HDMI(?).

Oh my

One HUGE detail thats needs to be considered for some with multizone audio:

No receiver can send hdmi audio to a second zone. For second zone playback simultaneously you need to also have an analog connection (no matter what the source is). Plugging to a reciver capable of handling USB/HDMI connection from laptop/computer directly wont get the audio to second zone without also having the right analog connection to that receiver from the laptop/computer. For laptops this is more of a pain, I'm currently using my optical/headphone jack out via mini rca to full rca cabling setup...it works but not great.

So, if Oppo can handle the USB/HDMI connection from laptop directly, then the audio should be able to also transfer to the second zone. My Oppo is connected to receiver via HDMI and analog and it plays over second zone (whole house audio) fine when using it

OMG that would be sick!!!
post #620 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

A laptop, for instance, can be connected via the asynchronous USB port. Has it been confirmed that the same laptop can be connected via HDMI too?? If HDMI, would it be able to make use of the DAC?

Uh oh, a light bulb just went off, even if I can plug laptop into Asynch USB port its not like i can pull up foobar or media monkey and play the FLAC files gapless thru the player. Right?

When you are using a Digital Audio input the player knows nothing about the file formats from which that audio originated. The handling of the FLAC files -- sorting, decoding, dealing with gapless between files -- is all handled by whatever is sending out that digital audio.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #621 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Quote:

The DIAG (Diagnostic) output is Composite Video, but it is muted to black whenever any content is playing. It is only useful for viewing the Setup menus while nothing is playing -- for example, if something gets so screwed up in your HDMI output settings that you can't easily recover while still using HDMI. Use DIAG to get into Setup and Reset or adjust things.
--Bob
What if one was using the 103 as an "audio only" player. could the composite out be used to display disc info, such as track no. and timings?

Using that output as sort of a remote front panel display -- showing the sort of player status info that show up on the front panel -- is probably doable, but that's not how it works at the moment. Right now, when you are playing content, that Diag composite video output is shut down.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #622 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:

When you are using a Digital Audio input the player knows nothing about the file formats from which that audio originated. The handling of the FLAC files -- sorting, decoding, dealing with gapless between files -- is all handled by whatever is sending out that digital audio.
--Bob

Thats good news.
post #623 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Can this unit support Hi 10P format which some anime fan subbers use?

Also, is the video chipset generally better than the VRS™ by Anchor Bay?
post #624 of 2833 Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM

Check out the photos of the Oppo BDP-103 here: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Images.aspx
post #625 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wow no BDXL support frown.gif
post #626 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any clue if the region free mod from the 93 will work in the 103?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #627 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well now I have confirmation that the new one's are not gapeless either, I can say that for me there will be no Oppo chapter in my home.

I think it becomes more and more frustrating, not any better. Cinavia, Oppo cannot help it, that is HAS to be implanted for the Bd licence. But honestly, then just throw away the Hard disc playback and make an audiophile Bd player where you can play Bd's, DVD A and Sacd discs.

For Bd's files, it will not read most of them, when cinavia is getting more and more used on discs.

To play your music, flac, Wav, Mp3 whatever, without gapeless, your external decoder, that can be better then the internal one, you have to stand an annoying "click" also. Even my 200 € mediastreamer, at least not stop the stream, so even without being totally gapeless, it is still more convenient to listen too, especially for normal cd's, that are not live.

Software and searching files is not convenient and slow, that is probably improved on the new models.

If you want to play your external files this is not a versatile machine, and has less and less use to replace a HCPC, if you tired of that. It has come to a point, at least for me, that I think it is better to buy a cheaper BD player that delivers also good pq, combined with a good streamer, that plays flawless ALL YOUR FILES and decode audio to an external device., like my Acuphase cd player, that is still better then the Oppo anyway. or if you rip your Bd's to hard disc just find a a streamer with also marvelous pq (maybe the Pch A 400, or the Dune's to come).

Limitations kills my interest of these well made machines, sorry.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #628 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 AM

Hi,

I am considering 105 to be my next player. I don't own oppo jet (currently using Popcorn A300) therefore I need/like some info from the forum if you would be kind to share. Since 103 or 105 is not out jet I am referring to the owners of 93/95; assuming that 103/105 will inherit already provided features of it's older brothers wink.gif. So:
- playback of mkv videos with embedded subtitles: works? Multi-subtitle support?
- playback of mkv and avi videos with extrenal subtitles (sub, srt) : according to 93/95 wiki page this is supported. But is it really working (couldn't find any youtube videos or reviews about that)? Your experience? Can you change the subtitle font size? Is default font size good enough? Can you time-shift the subtitles (mseconds)? Resume playback from last position?
- can it be operated via smartphone or tablet?
- can you add (and edit) internet streaming radio stations manually?

That's it for now wink.gif Thanks.
Uros, Slovenia
post #629 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 AM

double post, sorry. Unfortunately cannot delete it frown.gif
post #630 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

Oppo is not completely on the "bleeding edge". In addition to hard media playback, bleeding edge would be catering to the music lover that has backed up their very rare LP collection, cassette, and cd collection to FLAC in order to preserve them. And also catering to the ones with extensive live concert collections, going back 50 years. These historical documents are stored in the most popular lossless storage format, called FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). And it is imperative playback is gapless (some people are picky about that kind of thing when listening to music...). On the audio side, these are the type of people that do/would appreciate a company like oppo most.
Dont know why that guy is complaining about usb 3.0. My understanding is that USB 2.0 is more suitable for music playabck than 3.0. I saw some info on audio quests website about it. Check them out they make usb and other cable types.
Just read this on Oppo's website, "The BDP-103 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats"
That statement needs to be ammended. "The BDP-103 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats. However, FLAC playback is not gapless, in the very rare case you want to play a single FLAC file only, you should be fine. Please excuse this minor indulgence, we just think its cool being able to say the player plays FLAC but wanted to be clear and let you know before you drop 500-1200 on a unit"

EDIT couple hours later:

If playing from computer connected to the Oppo via usb or hdmi allows gapless playback because the computer is handling all that, then that is a good upgrade. Still, external hard drive playback should be able to handle gapless. But, I am feeling a lot better if I can plug computer to oppo directly and play audio and video and that FLAC would be gapless.

Also might be able to get the audio to a second zone with just a single usb or hdmi connection from computer to the player... which is a real big deal for people with multizone audio (hoping so cause the oppo is connected via hdmi and analog already to receiver and I use it all the time to play through all zones/whole house). That needs to be confirmed but would be a really big deal for some and I'm gonna guess Oppo doesnt realize it because that would be something you would want to advertise. No receiver can get the audio from computer or source to a second zone without also having an analog connection. Second zone audio has to have analog connection.

In addition, with laptops, they usually only have a headphone/optical out mini jack that you can use for the analog connection...but its not that great having to deal with that little port.. but it works with a quality mini jack plug that will hold tightly into jack and not jiggle and crackle (audio quest makes nice one..)(cheap ones are not tight and jiggle and u get crackles through the speakers..audio quest one is snug)(still not most ideal and want to avoid the analog connection requirement to get the audio from laptop to a second zone. Many people have been waiting for a receiver capable of sending audio to multiple zones without the additional analog connection requirement. For the second/multi zones you really just want to be able to send it over a single hdmi. Less cables through the walls (HDMI is just one cat5 cable these days) and if using laptop as source a single hdmi connection would be most ideal for multizone. For example I play webcasts sometimes. A band will have an Internet webcast of a show and I'll put video/audio on zone 1 home theatre setup via hdmi and connect analog too so the audio will go to the second zone... which is everywhere. If I'm gonna use a laptop as a source, I just want to connect via HDMI for things like that. I even put on the cnn web stream occasionally which is the only place to watch and hear certain events going on. I can have it on tv and playing everywhere. Anyway......

If taking an external drive and connecting it to laptop and then connecting it via USB or HDMI (?) to the Oppo, allowing you to play through zone 1 and 2 without having to worry about an analog connection too from laptop....that would be a big deal. It's great just for zone 1 but to zone 2 also would be significant and I dont want to deal with analog connection from laptop. You may be able to do same with one of the new receivers like pioneer sc-68 or onkyo 5010 with the asynchronous usb and direct from computer via HMDI capability, but not sure if you wouldnt also need an analog connection. The DACs in the Oppo might be better too. We'll see....
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page