Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

If playing from computer connected to the Oppo via usb or hdmi allows gapless playback because the computer is handling all that, then that is a good upgrade. Still, external hard drive playback should be able to handle gapless. But, I am feeling a lot better if I can plug computer to oppo directly and play audio and video and that FLAC would be gapless.

I really don't understand what people like about streaming audio from their laptop or pc to the Oppo. Some people were complaining about the noise of the fan of the 95, but let me tell you that both my PC and my laptop have a MUCH more audible fan than the one of my 95EU !
I could never use my PC or laptop for serious music listening ! What's the point of being thrilled about the 105 having a fanless desing, when one will have to endure the fan of a PC/laptop ?

That's why I agree that the new Oppo's should be able to play FLAC gapless from attached hard disk drives as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

I really don't understand what people like about streaming audio from their laptop or pc to the Oppo. Some people were complaining about the noise of the fan of the 95, but let me tell you that both my PC and my laptop have a MUCH more audible fan than the one of my 95EU !
I could never use my PC or laptop for serious music listening ! What's the point of being thrilled about the 105 having a fanless desing, when one will have to endure the fan of a PC/laptop ?
That's why I agree that the new Oppo's should be able to play FLAC gapless from attached hard disk drives as well.

My MAC Mini is dead silent.
post #633 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

. . . .

Not to disagree with you in any way, but it's a good thing you aren't sensitive to the noise of a disc drive operating. biggrin.gif
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #634 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Some disk drives are silent. Especially the solid-state ones.

Selden
post #635 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 05:20 AM

i have solid state drives and the laptop fan kicks on and is loud when working hard. Laptop is 18 months old... maybe brand new laptops are quieter. External drives I dont hear though and keep them in my rack which is close to main listening area. Loud laptop is issue though if gonna be hanging out in main listening area. Long cable run from laptop might be the way to go for now. I thought long USB cable runs are not best way to go though... might need a repeater type of device to strengthen. Have to research that too.
post #636 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerk2006 View Post

Hi,

I am considering 105 to be my next player. I don't own oppo jet (currently using Popcorn A300) therefore I need/like some info from the forum if you would be kind to share. Since 103 or 105 is not out jet I am referring to the owners of 93/95; assuming that 103/105 will inherit already provided features of it's older brothers wink.gif. So:
- playback of mkv videos with embedded subtitles: works? Multi-subtitle support?
- playback of mkv and avi videos with extrenal subtitles (sub, srt) : according to 93/95 wiki page this is supported. But is it really working (couldn't find any youtube videos or reviews about that)? Your experience? Can you change the subtitle font size? Is default font size good enough? Can you time-shift the subtitles (mseconds)? Resume playback from last position?
- can it be operated via smartphone or tablet?
- can you add (and edit) internet streaming radio stations manually?

That's it for now wink.gif Thanks.
Uros, Slovenia

Welcome to AVS! I must say I'm constantly impressed with how well our European posters adapt to posting here in English! I'd have no hope trying to post in a forum local to you. biggrin.gif

There are some posters here who have more in-depth experience in the media file stuff so:

1) subtitle support for mkv videos: I'll need to defer to one of the experts here

2) external subtitle support: The Wiki is correct in saying that they work given the right combo of content file and subtitles file, but the PLAYER provides no controls for altering HOW they work. If you want different font characteristics or subtitles timing you will need to set that using some software tool that manipulates the subtitles files.

3) OPPO just released a Public Beta of an Android remote control app for the 93/95. An iOS version of that app is in the works. Now THAT version of the control app is geared to what the 93 and 95 players can handle. It is no more nor less than a tablet/smartphone emulation of the player's normal remote control. For example, you can command Chapter Forward, but there is no feed back from the player to the app showing what Chapter is currently playing. OPPO has not disclosed their plans for future Android/iOS apps that might do more, for example for the 103 and 105 players. OPPO has also not yet disclosed the control protocol that might enable others to construct their own control apps.

4) The players do not offer direct support for Internet Radio, so no, you can't add stations manually. I don't know if the Pandora internet service is available in your part of the world, but here in the US, folks running Pandora on the OPPO players can add "channels" to play music of different characteristics. The 103 and 105 players will also support the new Roku Streaming Stick which plugs into the Front HDMI Input of the 103/105 players. The Roku service offers lots of different types of Internet apps. One I know of is the TuneIn app which is an app for listening to Internet Radio stations. I'm afraid I don't know if the Roku stuff will work in your part of the world.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #637 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The idea of spending $1200 for the primary purpose of using the 105 as a soundcard to a pc in order to get gapless playback doesn't make sense to me, but if someone wanted the 105 for other reasons, then it would a nice additional feature to have.

If you're going to be using a pc with software to decode FLAC or WAV gaplessly anyway, $1200 would build a nice, quiet networked htpc with a very good soundcard. Or, you could spend less than half of that on a media streamer if you already have an AVR/pre-pro with good DACs, buy a 103, and still have pocket change left over.
TRT and MtnSloth like this.
post #638 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 05:57 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If OPPO had their way they would NOT want to release a new player. Releasing new players is costly as you have to invest in new R&D, you have to retool your assembly line, and you need to invest large quantities of time to engineer the software and eliminate any bugs. Unlike other products on the market, OPPO does not reduce the prices of their models, even when they are discontinued. So it would be in OPPO's favor to continue to sell the mature, stable BDP-9x series of players at $499 indefinitely and add new features as they become available.
ETA: In fact, OPPO would make MORE money selling the current BDP-9x series of players indefinitely because the cost of manufacturing decreases with age, not increases it. So margins could only get better.
The reality is this is not possible. There are always hardware and software limitations which will inhibit additional growth. For someone like Netflix, who is worried about security as they license their content from movie and television studios, they do not want devices to upgrade to their newer interfaces without some kind of hardware security that will protect their investment. The BDP-9x series of players does not have the required security which satisfies Netflix, so Netflix is not offering their support to continue to update the Netflix UI for the BDP-9x series of players.

Surely this is questionable. I would imagine Oppo have quite a loyal following who purchase each new player as it appears. If the current models were infinitely upgradable they would only be able to sell to new customers which would almost certainly reduce their customer base and number of units sold.
post #639 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

The idea of spending $1200 for the primary purpose of using the 105 as a soundcard to a pc in order to get gapless playback doesn't make sense to me, but if someone wanted the 105 for other reasons, then it would a nice additional feature to have.
If you're going to be using a pc with software to decode FLAC or WAV gaplessly anyway, $1200 would build a nice, quiet networked htpc with a very good soundcard. Or, you could spend less than half of that on a media streamer if you already have an AVR/pre-pro with good DACs, buy a 103, and still have pocket change left over.

+1
post #640 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I want to thank Bob and Neuromancer. In the face of some ridiculous questioning and whining, you guys always keep it together and keep coming with factual and informative stuff.

For me, as someone who had a 93, the 103 is an easy choice, then for an xtra $100 I can get the entire Roku setup. Nice. Oppo should offer that package for $599 on their site.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #641 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leev View Post

Surely this is questionable. I would imagine Oppo have quite a loyal following who purchase each new player as it appears. If the current models were infinitely upgradable they would only be able to sell to new customers which would almost certainly reduce their customer base and number of units sold.

that post is not all from neromancer right? you should be more careful.
post #642 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:

that post is not all from neromancer right? you should be more careful.

What does that even mean? I quoted from a post and questioned the point being made in said post, it was not an attack on aynone. I see no reason why i should be careful, perhaps you should be "careful" with your advice to others.
post #643 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I want to thank Bob and Neuromancer. In the face of some ridiculous questioning and whining, you guys always keep it together and keep coming with factual and informative stuff.

I second that!!!

post #644 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leev View Post

What does that even mean? I quoted from a post and questioned the point being made in said post, it was not an attack on aynone. I see no reason why i should be careful, perhaps you should be "careful" with your advice to others.

You are right, I apologize. The content of his post startled me so much I thought you must of mistakenly taken 2 different posts to reply to. Sorry again.
post #645 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For folks that just gotta have Gapless playback on some of your albums, may I suggest you use a continuous file, instead of playing single track files? I know it's a little inconvenient but it works. smile.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #646 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

You are right, I apologize. The content of his post startled me so much I thought you must of mistakenly taken 2 different posts to reply to. Sorry again.

Apology accepted, no problem. Lets be friends. smile.gif
post #647 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

For folks that just gotta have Gapless playback on some of your albums, may I suggest you use a continuous file, instead of playing single track files? I know it's a little inconvenient but it works. smile.gif

haha good one
post #648 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 25
First a hope for the future, Ethernet over HDMI for the MHL HDMI Port. This would allow devices like the ROKU Stick to use the OPPO's network connection.

While Ethernet over HDMI has been an optional part of the HDMI Standard for quite some time, I am not aware of any main stream equipment that supports it. Hopefully future generations of the Mediatek chips will support this.

While gapless playback of FLAC would be very nice, OPPO can only offer what is supported by the chip(s) that they choose. OPPO has chosen to work with Mediatek. I am certainly not qualified to evaluate this decision, but the results in terms of picture and sound quality seem to indicate that OPPO has chosen wisely.
post #649 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ahh, now if we can only get AppleTV3 to output hi-rez audio through Toslink into the 105 we'd be set....what's the saying...wish in one hand...? Any word on the new player's friendliness toward ALAC?
post #650 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Ahh, now if we can only get AppleTV3 to output hi-rez audio through Toslink into the 105 we'd be set....what's the saying...wish in one hand...? Any word on the new player's friendliness toward ALAC?

No ALAC support unfortunately & TRUST me, it's been debated here on several pages. wink.gif
post #651 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

First a hope for the future, Ethernet over HDMI for the MHL HDMI Port. This would allow devices like the ROKU Stick to use the OPPO's network connection.
While Ethernet over HDMI has been an optional part of the HDMI Standard for quite some time, I am not aware of any main stream equipment that supports it. Hopefully future generations of the Mediatek chips will support this.
While gapless playback of FLAC would be very nice, OPPO can only offer what is supported by the chip(s) that they choose. OPPO has chosen to work with Mediatek. I am certainly not qualified to evaluate this decision, but the results in terms of picture and sound quality seem to indicate that OPPO has chosen wisely.

FWIW, this would make no difference. The Roku Stick does not support it and can ONLY connect via wireless. I'm not certain we actually know whether the player's HDMI board supports Ethernet, and I doubt it has anything to do with the decoder chip in any case.
post #652 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a little confused by all this "gapless" talk, so let me see if I understand this correctly. When one downloads an album, say from HD tracks, using either the FLAC or WAV format (which one is better?) to a thumb drive and then inserts it into the USB port on for Oppo for playback, after each track plays the drive pauses until "play" is pressed again? Would each track then be a separate file? And wouldn't there be an option on HD tracks to make the album ONE file for continuous playback? Thanks, I'll "hang up and listen."

William R. Moore
post #653 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8d4 View Post

Any idea if the Bdp-103/105 will be able to play .dff files?
DXD/DFF is not supported. This is something that has been requested since the BDP-83, but so far has not been implemented. OPPO is more hopeful that this generation of player will support it since there is more processing power and better software tools, but there is no guarantee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

Can this unit support Hi 10P format which some anime fan subbers use?
This has been something I have been requesting since the BDP-93 was first in Beta Test, but no player, current or future, from OPPO supports hi10p.
post #654 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

That is what I did for my 93 -- made merged files for all my Moody Blues albums and concert albums (well, for each side). Also, added around one second of silent space at the beginning of all other songs (for which I did not need gapless), because the 93 lops off the first split second of every song on a media file. Yes, this took several hours and was tedious. But now it's done, and I can enjoy any of my music from media files without irritation.

I wonder if the 103 will also lop off the first split second of every song when playing media files, or if they have a new and improved chip.
post #655 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

I'm a little confused by all this "gapless" talk, so let me see if I understand this correctly. When one downloads an album, say from HD tracks, using either the FLAC or WAV format (which one is better?) to a thumb drive and then inserts it into the USB port on for Oppo for playback, after each track plays the drive pauses until "play" is pressed again? Would each track then be a separate file? And wouldn't there be an option on HD tracks to make the album ONE file for continuous playback? Thanks, I'll "hang up and listen."

The player will automatically load the next available track in the folder, but if the songs were designed to bleed into each other without any gaps, there would be a small, albeit annoying pause between the tracks.
post #656 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Gapless playback means there are no artificial pauses between tracks of an album. It doesn't require pressing "play" to navigate from one track to the next. Gapless playback is really important when you have gapless albums - think Dark Side of the Moon as an example. One track transitions to the next without pauses. Gapless albums are especially prevalent in certain genres such as classical, progressive rock, experimental rock, electronic, and ambient.

Why is gapless playback important? Think of sitting down to watch a favorite movie, for me it would be something like Lawrence of Arabia. However, between each chapter of the movie, the screen goes blank for a second. Irritating? That's what listening to recordings with pauses or gaps when they should be gapless is like to me.

Yes, you can rip one continuous FLAC file or try to merge separate files to create a continuous file, but it's a kludgy workaround. For instance, you lose track info and navigation. I do this with some of my gapless albums currently using my 93.

Most decent software players support gapless playback from a pc and some, but not all, media streamers. It's unfortunate (to me at least) that this generation of Oppo player didn't finally have gapless playback when they had 2+ years of lead time to implement it, but it's not to be. I don't blame Oppo, the fault seems to lie with Mediatek. I just wish Oppo wasn't beholden to a chip-maker whose interests lie more with satisfying Sony than with Oppo.

I think my best alternative is bite the bullet and get a media streamer, maybe a Dune, for streaming flac files and keep my 93 for what it does best, disc playback. I'll use my PS3 or maybe get a Roku for streaming services. Three machines but each performs what it does best, and give up the idea that one machine can do it all.
MtnSloth likes this.
post #657 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

A good explanation from scolumbo above. And no, I may be wrong but I've never seen an option on HD Tracks that allows you to choose a continuous file.

There are several programs out there that will convert files into a continuous one for you. Personally, I use Foobar. It's free and it works. smile.gif

Also, as Neuromancer stated earlier, the silence between tracks has been improved (shortened). cool.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #658 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 PM

I wonder if the BDP-103 and / or BDP-105 have had any additional improvements made to tray and optical drive stability. I know there were improvements from the 83 -> 93, how about from the 9x -> 10x?
post #659 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

DXD/DFF is not supported. This is something that has been requested since the BDP-83, but so far has not been implemented. OPPO is more hopeful that this generation of player will support it since there is more processing power and better software tools, but there is no guarantee.

That's a real bummer frown.gif

A French website said the 105EU would support DSDiff files, but I guess they were wrong about that...?
post #660 of 2833 Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The player will automatically load the next available track in the folder, but if the songs were designed to bleed into each other without any gaps, there would be a small, albeit annoying pause between the tracks.

Why is gapless so big a deal? Play a CD or LP ( well 99.9 % of these) and you have gaps. IMHO gapless is okay but not a deal breaker. Especially when you consider the quality at a great price.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page