Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Here is what excites me about the Oppo 103, the "SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-103 comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocol."
If this will allow me to point the Oppo to my NAS device that has all my MKV rips of my BD and play them handling the TrueHD and DTS-HD stream to my AVR then sign me up I am all over this Oppo as I have yet to find a satisfactory stream setup that work short of building a HTPC

Yeah! This has gotten my interest as well. I'll have to see how the Cineava works out though - no fun in ripping my stuff only to have it error out on me.

LIkely sticking with the 93 for a few more years, but I will keep my eyes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Here is what excites me about the Oppo 103, the "SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-103 comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocol."
If this will allow me to point the Oppo to my NAS device that has all my MKV rips of my BD and play them handling the TrueHD and DTS-HD stream to my AVR then sign me up I am all over this Oppo as I have yet to find a satisfactory stream setup that work short of building a HTPC

What's wrong with Dunes? Mine have never failed to play a file correctly.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #723 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

Hi folks. I was the user that made that phone call to Oppo. They basically explained that due to the high cost of licensing Apple codecs, etc., they won't be incorporating AIFF nor ALAC compatibility any time soon on their players.

[Edit:]I have now caught up and have nothing new to offer to the previous discussion. Move along, nothing to see here biggrin.gif[/Edit]

Sorry, haven't been able to read the rest of the thread yet, but this is false and I'm kind of shocked that this is information that is being given out. The Apple Lossless Audio Codec has been released under the Apache license last year already:

http://alac.macosforge.org/

There should be no reason short of engineering and/or time constraints to support it.

-Christian
post #724 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.o604 View Post

OPPO this is 2012 - NOT 2014 - so no thank you for SCREWING us out of analog outputs.

Oppo hasn't "screwed" you out of anything. If you don't like it, don't buy it. And stop complaining.
scanspeak likes this.
post #725 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb42 View Post

Sorry, haven't been able to read the rest of the thread yet, but this is false and I'm kind of shocked that this is information that is being given out. The Apple Lossless Audio Codec has been released under the Apache license last year already:
http://alac.macosforge.org/
There should be no reason short of engineering and/or time constraints to support it.
-Christian
You haven't really missed anything, just back-and-forth arguments. wink.gif Again, Oppo's response tells me they either didn't have the latest information OR the patent situation is more complicated than the open source licensing announcement has led us to believe.
post #726 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.o604 View Post

What do you expect OPPO lies to its customers
Ok, now this is officially trolling/baiting. I come here to get tidbits about the 103/105 and all this does is derail the thread.
post #727 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 08:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

Ok, now this is officially trolling/baiting. I come here to get tidbits about the 103/105 and all this does is derail the thread.
Please either ignore him or use the report post button to ask the moderators to take action.
post #728 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM

From the BDP-103 User Manual:
"Preference should be given to the HDMI 1 output for video since it is the only output to benefit from the superior Marvell QDEO video processor."
"Due to the hardware limitation, DSD output is only available from the HDMI 2 OUT port. To listen to SACD using the HDMI 1 OUT port, please set SACD Output to PCM."

Since I am only running one HDMI cable to my front projector from my AVR, I will need to run both HDMI outs from the BDP-103 to the AVR to be able to have the benefit of the QDEO on HDMI 1 and SACD Bitstream on HDMI 2? Am I reading this right?
post #729 of 2833 Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 172
If you want to use SACD DSD, then yes, you would need to HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 connected concurrently. Use HDMI 1 for everything other than SACD, then switch to the new input on your receiver to listen to SACD DSD over HDMI 2.
post #730 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Or alternatively, also wire the multi-channel Analog outputs and use those for SACD DSD listening (with HDMI Audio temporarily set to OFF).

This limitation -- inability to send HDMI DSD on the HDMI 1 output -- is a hardware limitation, so don't expect it to change in future firmware.

Note that you CAN play SACD music over HDMI 1 using LPCM. In fact if you set SACD Output DSD, the HDMI 1 cable will still carry LPCM when you play an SACD -- the same sort of thing that happens if you try to send HDMI DSD to an AVR that says it can't accept DSD. Set this way, the Analog outputs will also use PCM while audio output is active on HDMI 1 because the DSD to PCM conversion is engaged due to that HDMI 1 output. To enable DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion on the Analog outputs, change HDMI Audio to OFF to shutdown the DSD to PCM conversion needed when sending the audio out on HDMI 1. You can do this on-the-fly (while the SACD is playing). The on-screen display (and the front panel lights) will tell you whether DSD or PCM output is in use while playing an SACD, so you can double check that way. Switching between DSD and PCM output will cause the currently playing SACD track to restart.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #731 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipetabor View Post

Bob,
many of us are excited about being able to have a DAC decode DSD downloaded files. Cookie Marenco from Blue Coast Records recently did a test showing off a DSD file going through a $1,595 MyTek DSD DAC (using the same SABRE DACs as the Oppo 105/95) compared to it's SACD physical disc counterpart (played on a $20k SACD player), and everyone overwhelming preferred the DSD file through the affordable DAC.

I think many of us are wondering that since this is the same SABRE DAC chip, whether or not we will be able to play DSD download files through the asynchronous USB connection. (that dCS established). This is where the future of great digital download audio is going, and what many of us have been waiting for since the BDP-95 came out.

Can the BDP 105 do DSD native download files (it obviously already decodes DSD from SACD discs, so this shouldn't be a technical issue as much as firmware/software of choice)

For me, this would be the deal maker. Especially when comparing the current Oppo BDP-95 to the Cambridge Azur 751BD... the BDP-105 would tip the scales with an external DAC that can do DSD.

-Brian

I know everyone is eager for information, but we'll have to defer this. OPPO has not yet released such specs for the 105, so the Beta Testers have to stay mum for the moment.
--Bob

post #732 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 AM

Liked: 11
As usual, Oppo like to screw european consumers with their products...

I would love to know why here in Europe, this player is being charge around €650/700 (I already saw some stores with this price) and the in US the MSRP is $500 !!!!
When doing conversions it costs about €385 !!! More than €300 of difference!!!
And don't give me that old excuse of price without taxes... if you take the taxes from the EU price, it would be around €550, not even close to the $500 in US

Are we so that different who lives in USA to deserve this?!?
Webmonkey likes this.

Panasonic TX-P42V10E; Onkyo TX-NR808; PS3; Cambridge Audio Azur 640C; Raspberry Pi (Model B)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1; BK Gemini; Just Racks JRA120‑SW‑BG
2x3m e 2x10m Supra 2.5 Classic; 3m QED P-CV1; 1m QED P-75; 3m Ixos XFA02
post #733 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ OPPO Digital in the US does not set prices in Europe. European model players come from OPPO UK.

The tax and regulatory environment in European markets are quite a bit different than in the US. As just one example, and I'm going from recollection here, the players in Europe must be sold with a two year warranty. OPPO Digital in the US sells the players with a one year warranty, and sells an optional extension to two years (for $69 in the case of the BDP-95). In addition, European distributors typically have to contribute to end of product life (recycling) programs. Which also brings up that two tier distribution system. OPPO sells direct in the US. In Europe there are regional distributors who buy from OPPO UK and probably want to make a few Euros themselves. I don't know what all else is different, but every home theater electronics product I know of originating in North America is sold for substantially more money in Europe -- by all manufacturers. I suppose it's possible that ALL of them don't like their European customers, but it seems more likely to me that there are costs of doing business in Europe that you haven't considered in your math.
--Bob

post #734 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 05:03 AM

Liked: 14
has anyone commented on the how the 105 sounds compared to the 95?
Rotel is not involved anymore how does the new setup sound?
Are they still using the ESS Sabre32 9018's?
Have you tried usb playback and the asynch usb port? How does it sound? How easy is it to use your computer thru the aynch usb & HDMI port?
Does anyone have the pioneer sc-68 or another nice receiver? How does it sound when you play thru the receivers asynch usb or regular usb or hdmi as opposed to 105 playback?
post #735 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 05:33 AM

Liked: 20
It would be a safe guess that since the bdp-95 had the top of the line Sabre 9810 DACs (two of them), the same DACs are being used for the bdp-105. One for 7.1 analog outs, and another for stereo in quad-differential mode, hence the balanced XLR connections.

I'm very excited about the USB DAC feature and the possibility of DSD playback over USB. If it does multichannel as well, taking advantage of both ESS Dacs depending on what you want to hear, OPPO would be really on a class of its own regarding usb DACs. We already know OPPO is king of universal disc players.

Another possibility, would be the ability to accept an I2S connection through one the hdmi inputs. That way one can use a device like this: http://www.exadevices.com/Home.aspx and have DSD and PCM up to 32bit / 384khz which the 9018 can accept. smile.gif

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out
post #736 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 AM

The 95 must have some cirrus dac's in there too I guess.

the 103 might be using same dacs as the 93.
post #737 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

The 95 must have some cirrus dac's in there too I guess.
the 103 might be using same dacs as the 93.

Why would you think that the 95 has Cirrus DACs "in there too"?

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #738 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Why would you think that the 95 has Cirrus DACs "in there too"?
Bill

because the ESS dac's are for the 7.1 analog and XLR setup.

the 93 uses Cirrus Logic dacs.

it would be very cool if Oppo released 105 info today
post #739 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

How would you guys say this OPPO 103 compares with the Sony S790 in bluRay watching only? I dont stream I just watch BluRay.I use HDMI ALSO. The oppo 103 is twice the price of the Sony S790.
post #740 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:

because the ESS dac's are for the 7.1 analog and XLR setup.
the 93 uses Cirrus Logic dacs.
it would be very cool if Oppo released 105 info today

I suggest while you are over at the Oppo site you look at the specs of the 95 wink.gif. If you do you will see no mention of Cirrus DACs. Below is direct from the 95 features and spec page.

The BDP-95 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output.

Dedicated Stereo Output - The BDP-95 features a dedicated 2-channel analog output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages. Each output is driven by 4 DAC channels stacking together to achieve even greater audio performance.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #741 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

How would you guys say this OPPO 103 compares with the Sony S790 in bluRay watching only? I dont stream I just watch BluRay.I use HDMI ALSO. The oppo 103 is twice the price of the Sony S790.

I bet the build quality of the 103 will be a whole different ball game.

Sony is a good streamer, but it's got a fan and its drive unit is very noisy (noisier than the panasonic too). It's very lightweight, so vibration and drive noise aren't shielded well enough. I'd say that for BD watching only, the BDT500 (same price as the sony) is better, while the sony is better for streaming (a lot faster and more streaming services). My experience is that players tend to make more noise as they age, and the fan is just another potential source (of noise) in the long run.
post #742 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Hard to say, since it's not officially out, but if it compares well with previous Oppos, then it will be the best at bluray display. The differences between it and the S790 in just bluray will probably be small, limited to proper colorspace mapping, which previous Sonys did not do correctly, and the Oppos did. It would depend on your screen size and other factors, but not great differences.

There are many more things that the Oppo does well and are probably important now and going to be important as time comes, like DVD upscaling, support of remote media (local area network based and streaming), support of multiple audio formats, use of the 103 to clean up a cable signal, etc.

But it's like asking whether an economy car will get you to the corner store better than a really reliable high end sedan. Both will do it, but if that's all you need and the money difference is important, then get the economy and things will be good, as long as you don't need the things that the high end delivers.
post #743 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I suggest while you are over at the Oppo site you look at the specs of the 95 wink.gif. If you do you will see no mention of Cirrus DACs. Below is direct from the 95 features and spec page.
The BDP-95 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output.
Dedicated Stereo Output - The BDP-95 features a dedicated 2-channel analog output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages. Each output is driven by 4 DAC channels stacking together to achieve even greater audio performance.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/
Bill

Yes I have been to that page but you know how marketing material can sometimes be misleading, as has already been discussed previously smile.gif

Appreciate you confirming. I didnt see any mention of Cirrus on the 93 page either...just wanted to double check there weren't any others.

The 105 might have a new ESS dac??
post #744 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM

you know what would be nice, if Oppo would add vtuner. Isn't it free? I love vtuner and it's great to have access to radio stations all over the world. For example, there was a music festival in a small town in Germany one time. The local radio station was broadcasting it. I was able to find that radio station and tune in for the whole 3 day festival! Another time was an event near Mt Fuji that was broadcast by local station. Very cool service.
post #745 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Liked: 12
There were previous posts about the DACs in the 103 and 105. I believe the 105 will have two Sabre32 DACs. Is this the same as the ES9018?

I posted a reply from Oppo about the 103 chip earlier: "The DAC is the same as the BDP-93, the Cirrus Logic CS4382A (8-ch, 24-bit, 192khz). There have however been some incremental improvements in circuit design that should improve on the audio some."
post #746 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Streaming services never seemed to be a high priority for them, look at the 93/95 as examples. Your best option for VTuner is the Roko streaming stick which is a nice option to add to the new players if streaming is important to you and you don't own a Roku or something similar already. From the cheap seats I think its easy to see that Oppo has decided offer this option to satisfy those who want streaming services beyond the basics found on the 93/95. I don't see it VTuner offered by Roku but they have a number of different radio streaming channels available that should suffice. Sometimes I think we are spoiled by everything Oppo does so well and lose sight that these quality blu-ray players can't do it all.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #747 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

you know what would be nice, if Oppo would add vtuner. Isn't it free? I love vtuner and it's great to have access to radio stations all over the world. For example, there was a music festival in a small town in Germany one time. The local radio station was broadcasting it. I was able to find that radio station and tune in for the whole 3 day festival! Another time was an event near Mt Fuji that was broadcast by local station. Very cool service.

The last few generations of Pioneer and Denon receivers, and models of Anthem, Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha, have vTuner capability:
http://www.vtuner.com/features.asp
(there's undoubtedly more counting this year's AVRs, but this is the most recent list)

You can also stream Reciva Radio or TunedIn from an iDevice to an Apple TV connected to your AVR or one of the HDMI inputs on the upcoming 103/105.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

post #748 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What, if anything, do we know about upgrades to:

1. power supply
2. DSD->LPCM conversion and bit rate output
3. the clocks

From the pics of the 103 it looks like it will still be easy to disconnect the power to the analogue section which is good.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #749 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I have a BDP-93 and the Sony BDP-S790 and when I turn off ALL the processing in the Sony the pictures are comparable. I would expect the same results when compared to the S790 with all procesing turned off. Also, there is a justifiable reason why the Oppo cost twice as much given its feature set compared to the Sony. If your main priority is blu-ray PQ and you have no need for all the Oppo does above and beyond the Sony, then I would endorse the Sony.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #750 of 2833 Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

has anyone commented on the how the 105 sounds compared to the 95?
Rotel is not involved anymore how does the new setup sound?
Are they still using the ESS Sabre32 9018's?
Have you tried usb playback and the asynch usb port? How does it sound? How easy is it to use your computer thru the aynch usb & HDMI port?
Does anyone have the pioneer sc-68 or another nice receiver? How does it sound when you play thru the receivers asynch usb or regular usb or hdmi as opposed to 105 playback?

IIRC, it was Neuromancer a few posts back who said that he prefers the implementation of the anolog sound of the 105 than the 95 when listening through his headphones.
Yes, the 105 uses the same exact ESS Dacs as the 95 but the filter and amplification circuitry after the dacs is different in the 105 than the 95, with different meaning better or enhanced per Oppo.

I'll have to defer to others knowldegable than i to answer your other questions ...
- David

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page