post #2101 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Crutchfield has just now put up a Pre-order page for the BDP-105:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_768BDP105/Oppo-BDP-105.html

The page is so new, that some of the usual stuff they include, such as their spec details chart, are not live yet.

Crutchfield has been one of the long-standing, US resellers of the BDP-95 (but not the 93). Looks like they, too, intend to continue that with the 105.

Another indication that the 105 must be getting close to shipping. (They are not quoting an estimated ship date yet.)

At this point, the last shoe I'm still expecting to drop is Magnolia AV, which is still showing just the 93 and 95. They were one of the later resellers to jump on the 93/95 bandwagon, so they may not make their move until after the 105 ships.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

In the UK, Audiocom International has been one of the most aggressive of the OPPO resellers in promoting estimated ship dates in forum postings and the like.

They've just now modified their pre-order page for the European model, BDP-105EU to show an estimate of "December". Since they previously were saying "Late 2012", that's not much of a change, but it does indicate that something is moving on that side of the pond, too.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2103 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

More cats leaving the bag? MusicDirect.com now has text indicating that the BDP-105 will ship "mid-November":
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-107530-oppo-bdp-105-universal-blu-ray-player.aspx

Crutchfield has just now put up a Pre-order page for the BDP-105:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_768BDP105/Oppo-BDP-105.html

--Bob

Bob,

A very big thanks for posting these links. And keep them coming!

As a poor unfortunate who lives in tax-crazy California, I appreciate the option of ordering my new Oppo from a place which is tax-free and offers free shipping.
lanping09 likes this.
post #2104 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I would not personally purchase the Audeze LCD-2 if given the choice. I use the Grado RS2i for my primary headphones, and I prefer them over the Audeze LCD-2. Although the Grados are very bass anemic, you get to feel the bass, something that you do not get with planar which are designed around hearing, not feeling. The Audeze LCD-2 do slope off at the mid-high to highs, whereas the Grados actually gain amplitude at the same frequencies. For me I end up preferring the more open, warmer audio that I get from the Grados versus the more clinical Audeze LCD-2. Or I just do not want to spend another $1000 on headphones, so I am going in biased.
Another thing to consider is that I do not own the Audeze LCD-2 and have not been able to play with them for extended period of time. When listening to the Aduze LCD-2 I have been making pilgrimages to OPPO's corporate office, so I have only spent an hour or two per visit listening to the the headphones. It is very possible that given more time with the headphones, particularly after messing around with external amplification versus the built in headphone amplifier, may produce different results and experiences.

If you have some spare time on your hands (lots of time), you should check out this article:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-50-headphones-compared

Maybe you'll see the LCD-2s in a different light compared to your Grado's. But if your Grado's are giving you the sound that you like, then it's all good. smile.gif
post #2105 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

In the UK, Audiocom International has been one of the most aggressive of the OPPO resellers in promoting estimated ship dates in forum postings and the like.
They've just now modified their pre-order page for the European model, BDP-105EU to show an estimate of "December". Since they previously were saying "Late 2012", that's not much of a change, but it does indicate that something is moving on that side of the pond, too.
--Bob

Ideal AV also have lots of info on their site and told me today that they expect to be able to accept orders for the 105 towards the end of November and that this usually means shipping a few weeks later.

I put my name down for one and my credit card is ready for action! Just need to figure out how to integrate with a Mac Mini now (which I have yet to purchase) and stream the ALAC files which will be transferred from my MacBook Pro - I suspect I can just use the Apple Remote app on my iPhone to browse music on the Mac Mini? I also have an Apple TV (yes, I am hooked into Apple products!), but don't really want this in the set-up.

Bob - in response to one of my previous posts, you mentioned that you had done some testing with a Mac, are you now able to discuss your findings further?
post #2106 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Anyone ordered an Oppo from Crutchfield? Does it still get dropped shipped from the west coast or will it come from Virginia? I live in New England so it's only 2 days from VA :-)
post #2107 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Crutchfield should be carrying their own supply of players, so it would ship from Virginia.
post #2108 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian310567 View Post

. . . .
Bob - in response to one of my previous posts, you mentioned that you had done some testing with a Mac, are you now able to discuss your findings further?

I actually mentioned it as part of one of my posts above when the 105 specs came out, but in the flurry of posts it was certainly easy to miss.

Use of the 105's USB DAC Digital Audio Input is "plug and play" on the Mac using Mac OS X 10.8.2. This is likely true for older MAC OS X versions as well but I've not tried them.

You will need a USB cable that has the appropriate style plug at each end -- the Asynchronous USB port on the 105 uses the squarer shape plug to avoid confusion with the thinner rectangular shape plugs used for attaching hard drives to the player's USB 2.0 ports.

Once cabled, the Mac automatically sees the 105 as a new Sound Output device. There is no driver to load, or any other shenanigans to go through. All you need to do is go to the System Preferences > Sound pane and select the OPPO as your choice for audio output -- the same way you would select between the Mac's internal speakers and a networked AirPlay device for example. Quite a few applications that generate audio (e.g., iTunes) include an icon which will let you make that choice in the application itself. For iTunes the icon is in the lower right corner of the window.

Basically, if you can get the audio to play on the Mac's own speakers, then you can get it to play through the 105. What gets sent over the USB cable is 2.0 LPCM 192KHz 24-bit. How your audio source gets turned into that depends on the application you are using to play the audio.

On the 105, you press the Input button and select the USB DAC Input. The incoming audio is available on both the Analog and the Digital Audio outputs of the 105 simultaneously.

In my testing it sounds as good as you would expect, both for Analog and HDMI Digital audio output.
--Bob

post #2109 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Hello Bob?

One more question please. If you have an external DAC you wish to hook up to the BDP-105, which only has analog rca plug outs (Left and Right), and you connect it to the BDP-105 analog rca inputs, by doing this will this you be able hear the external DAC when you listen via headphones hooked to the 105?

Thanks for all your informative responses.

HR
post #2110 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post

Hello Bob?

One more question please. If you have an external DAC you wish to hook up to the BDP-105, which only has analog rca plug outs (Left and Right), and you connect it to the BDP-105 analog rca inputs, by doing this will this you be able hear the external DAC when you listen via headphones hooked to the 105?

HR

No. There ARE no Analog "Inputs" on the 105. All the Inputs on the 105 are Digital.
--Bob

post #2111 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post

Hello Bob?
HR

You can go from the digital outputs of the oppo to your external DAC's inputs but there's no other logical way to connect them.
post #2112 of 2833 Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Liked: 46
Regarding headphones--and seriously hoping not to take this thread too far off track--I used to have Stax headphones, and the midrange-through-treble was fantastic, but the bass was "where's the bass?".

Now I listen through JVC HP-DX1000s.

Bass--oh yeah, bass. Plus they just sound great. And they're comfortable.

The two knocks I've heard against them are:

1) They cost a bundle.
2) They make you look like Princess Leia.

Both very true, but if you can afford them and don't give a rat's how you look, highly recommended.

The Oppo will drive these effortlessly, so much so I'm thinking about getting a 105 for the office in addition to the one for home.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2113 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM

Liked: 11
Hi,
I have a questions which I asked before, but may be some audio expert may be able to help:

I would like to use the 105 as a pre-amp, is this a reasonable approach? Since the pre-amp of the AVR is by-passed, the sound quality could be improved?

Or would a high end pre-amp between the AVR power section and the Oppo be better than feeding the Oppo analog outs directly into the power amp?

If a high end pre amp would be better, then:
Does a High end Pre-amp "improve" or does the Oppo "worsen" the analog signal before it is fed into the power amp.
Since I never had a high end pre-amp/power-amp combo, I was always curious what a good pre amp really is doing, since the volume can be modified with a variable analog out of the Oppo,

Regards
Thorix
post #2114 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorix View Post

Hi,
I have a questions which I asked before, but may be some audio expert may be able to help:
I would like to use the 105 as a pre-amp, is this a reasonable approach? Since the pre-amp of the AVR is by-passed, the sound quality could be improved?

It seems to me the main advantage a preamp might offer is features like room correction. Otherwise it's strictly a matter of what the details of your system are as to whether it will make a difference.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #2115 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorix View Post

Hi,
Or would a high end pre-amp between the AVR power section and the Oppo be better than feeding the Oppo analog outs directly into the power amp?
If a high end pre amp would be better, then:
Does a High end Pre-amp "improve" or does the Oppo "worsen" the analog signal before it is fed into the power amp.
Since I never had a high end pre-amp/power-amp combo, I was always curious what a good pre amp really is doing, since the volume can be modified with a variable analog out of the Oppo,
Regards
Thorix

How do you plan to disable the AVR's preamp section? Throwing a high end preamp in front of the AVR sounds like a waste of money. It would be another ball of wax if you bought a nice preamp and amp and put the AVR infront of the preamp and had the oppo going into the preamp for two channel use.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #2116 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

How do you plan to disable the AVR's preamp section?

It appears Thorix is talking about connecting the analog outs from the Oppo directly to the power amps. I've thought about doing that myself. If one has a limited number of pieces and the Oppo has an adequate number of inputs and switching capability then it should be fine.
post #2117 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Do any receivers have inputs to only use the power amp section of the AVR? I think his post was talking about using an AVR as an amp rather than separate power amps.

I agree that if you have separate amps, you should be able to use the Oppo as a preamp directly driving the amps but am not sure how it would work using an AVR as the amp and bypassing the AVR's preamp/processor stage.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #2118 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Do any receivers have inputs to only use the power amp section of the AVR?

Sure.

Example - Denon 4520CI.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #2119 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
^^^
In fact, most AVRs which have multichannel analog inputs are unable to do any processing on that input and more less pass it straight to the amp section.
post #2120 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Well it's still going through the pre-amp as that's where Volume control happens, right? If you really want to bypass the pre-amp in a receiver altogether, and use it JUST as if it was a purely a power-amp, I suspect that's pretty unusual.
--Bob

post #2121 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Liked: 11
hi,
thanks for your feedback,
my Marantz SR9600 sounds very good even if compared with quite expensive stereo amps (I made several tests at high end studios and even the hifi dealers were impressed with the Marantz).
Therefore, I thought to use the analog out of the Oppo and go directly into the power amp section of the Marantz should give the most authentic representation of the music (or movie sound).
I do not care about manipulating the sound, I just want to have it as close to the original as possible.

When plugging the analog outs of the oppo 95 directly into the power amp section of the marantz, I had the "feeling" that the sound was better, than going through the preamp. But this is really difficult to quantify and I am not sure if this would hold in a blind test,

The oppo has 2 Hdmi Ins which I could use for the satallite receiver and the dune player, nothing more needed.
regards
thorix
post #2122 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

In the UK, reseller Mark Grant Cables now has their BDP-105EU pre-order page marked "Mid-November Delivery"

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=64_65&products_id=429&zenid=c5846b171d056n5n2b7p775tt4

There were two European resellers in the UK who were very aggressive in the forums talking about anticipated release dates before the BDP-103EU first shipped. One of them, Audiocom International, I mentioned above. The other was Mark Grant Cables. Mark Grant has just changed their pre-order page for the BDP-105EU to show "Mid-November Delivery".

Please note that I know nothing at all about either of these outfits as DEALERS (beyond the fact that they are on the approved resellers list at OPPO UK). I'm merely using them as predictors of when the BDP-105EU might actually ship.

In the US, MusicDirect.com has also changed the indication at the order button for the BDP-105 to "Availability: Mid-November, 2012". This is now consistent with the date they predicted in their product write up a couple days ago.
--Bob

post #2123 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Still hoping that Oppo get around to implementing a vital feature with the 105....multi channel analogue delay
post #2124 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you are talking DSD time delay then this is something that OPPO is not supporting in any of their products.
post #2125 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:

If you are talking DSD time delay then this is something that OPPO is not supporting in any of their products.

Can you clarify what you mean? I run our BDP-95 with speaker delays set, and they clearly work, including when playing a DSD SACD, and there is no conversion to PCM (or if there is, the menus and display and manual are all lying to me!).

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2126 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

Quote:

Can you clarify what you mean? I run our BDP-95 with speaker delays set, and they clearly work, including when playing a DSD SACD, and there is no conversion to PCM (or if there is, the menus and display and manual are all lying to me!).

If by delays you are talking about the Analog Speaker Configuration speaker distance settings in the 95, then if you are hearing them as having any effect DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion is not engaged.

To check that, go to the Front Panel. For DSD you should see the SACD light but *NOT* see the PCM light.

There is no audio processing in the OPPO when sending DSD to the DACs for Analog output.
--Bob

post #2127 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Still hoping that Oppo get around to implementing a vital feature with the 105....multi channel analogue delay

To clarify what I mean, I am not referring to DSD, I am referring to the AV sync delay. The HDMI video chain is slower than the analogue one, so typically the sound gets out before the video unless you have a delay. Prior to the 93/95, Oppo DID implement this feature. But due to a chipset change, Oppo admitted that it was no longer possible with the 93/95 as there wasn't sufficient memory available for the buffer to create the delay.

Is this now a possibility again with the 103/105?
post #2128 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No. The player was designed to automatically compensate for internal delay, but not for external delay. So the players outputs analog audio, digital audio, and digital audio/video are in-sync with each other when they leave the player.

Audio Delay was allowed in the BDP-8x series of players as OPPO was using the extra frame buffer memory to store the delay information. This memory does not exist in the BDP-9x or BDP-10x series of players.

OPPO did try adding Audio Delay in the BDP-10x during the beta testing, but the results were pretty disastrous, so it was removed from the final production firmware. Perhaps it will be re-introduced into a future firmware release.
post #2129 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 PM

Liked: 18
When an OPPO plays a song from a HD, does it play the song from the HD collecting the data in real time, or does it load the file into memory and play it from there?
post #2130 of 2833 Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Bob, A very big thanks for posting these links. And keep them coming! As a poor unfortunate who lives in tax-crazy California, I appreciate the option of ordering my new Oppo from a place which is tax-free and offers free shipping.

Still have to pay taxes other wise the tax man could come knocking down your door and that would be even more pricey!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page