Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLitz View Post

Does Gigabit require CAT6 wiring and base-100 require CAT5?
Also, if you were to run new wire, I assume you would want CAT6. Is CAT6 wire totally backward compatible to networks and equipment that would normally run CAT5?
I have a house in which the builder ran CAT5 in the main and upper levels. The basement has my home theater and main stereo system. I am thinking about adding wiring to the basement (assuming it is not too much of a hassle/expense) to connect my NAS's (Zyxel NSA320) WAV audio files to both systems.

Your CAT5 will probably work just fine. If you were running new cable you would pick CAT5E. You could use CAT6 (yes, it's compatible), just more expensive and unnecessary. Note that the cable ends or termination points also need to meet the spec as well as the actual build quality at the terminations points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 980
In the UK, reseller Ideal AV has just posted that the BDP-105EU will be "available next week":

http://www.ideal-av.co.uk/bluray.htm

At this point, for the European model BDP-105EU player, I've got 3 UK resellers and a French reseller agreeing that next week is when the celebration begins.

As outliers, I've got a couple of resellers on the continent still saying either Christmas or January.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen View Post

WHat about for DVD Audio and SACD? Do you like it better analog or HDMI?

Icequeen, welcome to AVS. Your question of which is better: Analog cables or HDMI for hi-rez music depends on which unit has a better DAC (digital to analog converter). If your Blu-Ray/DVD player has a better DAC than your receiver (or other processor), then you would want your Blu-Ray player to perform the DAC function and pass the audio via analog cables to your pre-amp/receiver. But if your receiver/processors has a better DAC, then it's better to pass the digital signal over to your receiver/processor using HDMI.

And what do you mean by "arc" in your other post?

I've never played with the Denon 5910. But I have owned the Marantz 7006 (2010 model with MSRP $1,000) and the McIntosh MVP881 (maybe 2009/2010 model MSRP $8,000). Marantz, Denon, and McIntosh are all owned by the same company and are very similar in many ways. I like my Oppo 95 much better than even the $8K McIntosh player.
bthrb4u likes this.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

I am wondering if anyone here knows of a good preamplifier to match with the oppo 105 once i get it.

Does the Emotiva preamp count?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The player will be a good pre-amplifier if you do not need that much processing done to the signal or do not rely on very crazy volume or trim settings.

I think it would need a few minor tweaks.
For example, a power on volume settings.
And, it cannot ever reset the volume to 100% (not on a reset or firmware load, absolutely never).

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Agreed 100% same with cars

Agreed 100%. Same with wives.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I think it would need a few minor tweaks.
For example, a power on volume settings.
And, it cannot ever reset the volume to 100% (not on a reset or firmware load, absolutely never).
- Rich

The only time the volume is not at the output level that you had previously set it to would be if you had reset the player to Factory Defaults or the player crashed after you made some alterations. Other than these circumstances the player will remember your Channel Trim and Volume levels across power cycles.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The only time the volume is not at the output level that you had previously set it to would be if you had reset the player to Factory Defaults or the player crashed after you made some alterations. Other than these circumstances the player will remember your Channel Trim and Volume levels across power cycles.

This is something a Preamp does not ever do so the user must be a bit more careful when using the player as a preamp.

A max volume settings might be a nice feature.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
tme110 sure would. I'm thinking about trying a tube preamp with some martin logan electrostats. I love the imaging and soundstage of the theos and would LOVE to hear the Montis or Theos but to me, they are not musically involving timbre wise. Hoping the tube preamp would help that as i don't want to or have the money for tube amp

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

i take that back, the highs and bass are definitely involving, just not the mids

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

tme110 sure would. I'm thinking about trying a tube preamp with some martin logan electrostats. I love the imaging and soundstage of the theos and would LOVE to hear the Montis or Theos but to me, they are not musically involving timbre wise. Hoping the tube preamp would help that as i don't want to or have the money for tube amp

Take a look at the Conrad Johnson MET1 (I mentioned it to someone else in this thread). It's a pure analog tube pre-amp that has two different 5.1 channel inputs! It's no longer in production. Had a MSRP of $7,000. Spearit Sound is selling their left over inventory at $3,300 with full warranty.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I'm using an Eddie Current Zana Duex SE tube preamp myself but it's only 2 channel.
bthrb4u likes this.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:

I am wondering if anyone here knows of a good preamplifier to match with the oppo 105 once i get it. I am not worrying about all the decoding fancy shmancy stuff, just a good preamp with 7 or even 5 channel in that takes the clean signal from the oppo and sends it back just as clean out. Doesn't need hdmi just analog in. I know of the parasound halo p7.
Is this needed to get reference levels out of the oppo or would they be fine just running straight to a power amp?

See post 2189 in this thread.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Jimshowalter, does that mean you have to use a preamp in order to get maximum resolution out of your dac? If connected from oppo straight to a power amp, you would need to play at loudest level to achieve best quality but that would be frightening loud lol (amp depending)

Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:

Jimshowalter, does that mean you have to use a preamp in order to get maximum resolution out of your dac? If connected from oppo straight to a power amp, you would need to play at loudest level to achieve best quality but that would be frightening loud lol (amp depending)

No, this was a misunderstanding on my part, corrected several times above in the thread.

The 32-bit DACs used in the Oppo allow clipping off 8 bits without affecting the accuracy of the signal at all, because the maximum bits for a source is 24.

With 8 bits, and 6dB per bit, the volume can be adjusted 48 dB safely.

There are plenty of other reasons though for using a preamp, so the direct-connected approach only works in a subset of applications.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 AM

When using the analog outputs of the 105, stereo signals are fine anyway.
For surround, I do not have a subwoofer. But the LFE signal can be mixed to the main speakers by setting subwoofer to off.

I assume setting subwoofer to off has for the analog and the HDMI out the same effect , which would mean for the analog section
--> the analog LFE out would be zero and the analog FL and FR would have included the LFE signal for both, the sourround FL and FR, but also the separate "highend" Stereo L and R outs,
Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The Speaker Configuration settings in the OPPO have no effect at all on the HDMI Audio output. They just affect the multi-channel Analog output. For HDMI Audio, setting to do similar sorts of things would be made in your sound processor.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The Speaker Configuration settings in the OPPO have no effect at all on the HDMI Audio output. They just affect the multi-channel Analog output. For HDMI Audio, setting to do similar sorts of things would be made in your sound processor.
--Bob

thanks bob for the info,
is it right, that if I set the Subwoofer to off, there will be no signal coming from the SW analog out, and the LFE signal is mixed into analog FL, FR but also into dedicated stereo R and L
Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorix View Post

thanks bob for the info,
is it right, that if I set the Subwoofer to off, there will be no signal coming from the SW analog out, and the LFE signal is mixed into analog FL, FR but also into dedicated stereo R and L

Not quite. This is a little complicated.

First, LFE content is discarded as part of the down-mix for the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (when Stereo Signal = DOWN-MIX STEREO is set). The reason why will become obvious in a moment.

For the multi-channel Analog outputs (which includes the case of the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs reconfigured to act in place of the normal LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set -- i.e., Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT/RIGH), if you set the Subwoofer to OFF then LFE content is presented, attenuated, in the LF/RF channels.

Now the problem is, allowing enough headroom for LF/RF to carry that LFE without clipping the input of your pre-amp means that rather a lot of attenuation is needed. Which ALSO means the other Analog channels have to be attenuated so that they stay in balance with LF/RF and the LFE component they are now also carrying. This raises the noise floor. I.e., the content signal is now closer to the base noise level, and when you raise Volume to make things loud enough again you are also amplifying that noise.

That's the whole thing about LFE. The reason it is set aside as a separate channel is to have a place to put LOUD base. If you try to mix it into the normal channels, something has to give.

So that's why it is not included in the down-mix for the Dedicated Stereo outputs.

Now, it IS retained (in LF/RF) for the multi-channel output for folks who really WANT to have it. But if you would prefer to discard it, you can set Subwoofer ON and the other speakers Large and simply not plug anything into the Subwoofer output jack.

Of course far and away the best solution for LFE is to have a Subwoofer.
--Bob

Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:

Not quite. This is a little complicated.
First, LFE content is discarded as part of the down-mix for the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (when Stereo Signal = DOWN-MIX STEREO is set). The reason why will become obvious in a moment.
For the multi-channel Analog outputs (which includes the case of the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs reconfigured to act in place of the normal LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set -- i.e., Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT/RIGH), if you set the Subwoofer to OFF then LFE content is presented, attenuated, in the LF/RF channels.
Now the problem is, allowing enough headroom for LF/RF to carry that LFE without clipping the input of your pre-amp means that rather a lot of attenuation is needed. Which ALSO means the other Analog channels have to be attenuated so that they stay in balance with LF/RF and the LFE component they are now also carrying. This raises the noise floor. I.e., the content signal is now closer to the base noise level, and when you raise Volume to make things loud enough again you are also amplifying that noise.
That's the whole thing about LFE. The reason it is set aside as a separate channel is to have a place to put LOUD base. If you try to mix it into the normal channels, something has to give.
So that's why it is not included in the down-mix for the Dedicated Stereo outputs.
Now, it IS retained (in LF/RF) for the multi-channel output for folks who really WANT to have it. But if you would prefer to discard it, you can set Subwoofer ON and the other speakers Large and simply not plug anything into the Subwoofer output jack.
Of course far and away the best solution for LFE is to have a Subwoofer.
--Bob

hi bob thanks again

since I set the stereo signal to FL/FR, the LFE is at least there.
If I would set SW to on without havein a SW, the low frequencies would be missing, but the signal/noise ratio would be better -> right?
As long as I do not experience trouble with too much noise, the solution without subwoofer should be ok. Since my stereo speakers have a fantastic bass fundament (at least in my view), I have always skipped a subwoofer, since an appropriate one would be quite expensive
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Liked: 14
with the 105 you can plug lap top in via the 32 bit asynch usb port. Can yu also plug a laptop into the 105 va hdmi? Is this same for 103?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

You're assuming a digital preamp.
[......] A digital volume control works by clipping bits of precision, and so an analog volume control is preferable.
The sticking point is finding a high-quality analog multi-channel preamp.
Not necessarily. There are ways of implementing a digital volume control that
provides better sonics than the common analog volume control, though at a
price. One shouldn't assume how the BDP-105 volume control sounds before
one knows how it's implemented.

-- Ron
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

with the 105 you can plug lap top in via the 32 bit asynch usb port. Can yu also plug a laptop into the 105 va hdmi? Is this same for 103?

Yes, for both players, assuming the laptop offers an HDMI output producing audio format and video resolution the player supports.
--Bob

Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
It will be interesting once the Oppo BDP-95 is available to compare for Audio

- BDP-105 vs 95 who wins?

- BDP-105 direct o amps with out pre/pro vs BDP-105 using HDMi and letting the pre/pro do the work
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 78
 Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It will be interesting once the Oppo BDP-95 is available to compare for Audio
- BDP-105 vs 95 who wins?
- BDP-105 direct o amps with out pre/pro vs BDP-105 using HDMi and letting the pre/pro do the work

1.   It's been said by a poster here (gsr?) that the dufferences between analog sections of the 95 and 105 are subtle. They are more similar than different. We'll have to see if this is unversally true once the 105 is released ne xt week.

2.   Its been often said the direct route is the best sounding but you loose the flexibility of a pre-pro including any room EQ that may be needed. This is also a question of whether your pre-pro dacs are better than the oppo dacs. Your ears will decide if that's true.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 11-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.divertech.com/coplandcva306.html
For those looking for a 6 channel valve preamp.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob:

Regarding the two stereo modes(STEREO = LF/RF  &  STEREO = DownMixed), is this switching done before the DACs in the digital domain(where all necessary processing would be done) or after the dacs, where a mechanical relays switch between the multi-channel LF/RF or dedicated stereo analog output signals.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ By now you should know better than to ask me for implementation details. biggrin.gif

Until OPPO puts out such information, Beta Testers can't talk about it.
--Bob

Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ By now you should know better than to ask me for implementation details. biggrin.gif
Until OPPO puts out such information, Beta Testers can't talk about it.
--Bob

OK ...imagine this was the BDP-95(biggrin.gif), how would you answer it since the question equally applies to that player as well?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Sure, but OPPO haven't put out any statement on how it's done on the 95 EITHER!
--Bob

Tags
Oppo , Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player