Do any Blu-ray players support upscaling DVDs using "double scale" mode like the PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-07-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I still have a lot of DVDs that I'm not going to replace any time soon, but I hate the way that most (all?) Blu-ray players upscale a DVD to display them on a 1080 screen. The PS3 has a mode that just doubles the pixes (well 4x really) so that the 740x480 resolution is displayed as 1480x960, leaving black bars on the top, bottom, left, and right around the movie. I've tried several players and they all stretch the image out to fill the screen which results in jagged lines etc, to me they all look pretty terrible. So does anyone know of any Blu-ray players that support this type of upscaling or of a device that connects to the output of a DVD player and upscales using this method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It's actually 720x480 and 1280x960.

See this for similar discussion.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423463/oar-and-screen-size

Not all scalers are the same. Perhaps you haven't seen the best.

You don't necessarily have to have precisely double scaling, just underscan with window-boxing to reduce the artefacts. I'm not aware of any BDPs doing it but as I said in that thread a VP can underscan. It's unnecessary with a good scaler anyway. Also sitting further away is very effective to reduce resolution for no extra cost.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page