Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 848 Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuxmyyg View Post

Thanks for your valuable comments. The BDP-62FD is Elite series which is supposed to be premimum quality based on its name. I don't know why users have so many complaints and issues. Based on suggested retail price of $399, 62FD should be much better than bdp-150.

You may ask me why not buy other players instead of Pioneer because I need to play SACD and DVD-A, Right now Sony won't play DVD-A and Panasonic won't play SACD.
And most import their player dropped these features with advent of new firmware upgrade.
When I search blu-ray.com with SACD and DVD-A, only Pioneer and OPPO. My old SACD player PS3 and DVD-A player Panasonic are close to the end of life.

My expectation below from top priority.

Most important is quality, quality and quality, I do not want to unplug power cord every day.
Hi-def stuff.
1. Play Blu-Ray ( including 3D, or 2D+3D discs)
2. Play SACD.
3. Play DVD-A.
4. Play FLAC 24/96 from USB or DLNA. ( not sure how good ? )
5. Play AVCHD, M2TS from USB or DLNA ( maybe not supportable for AVCHD from DLNA from Manual, correct me if I am wrong. ) ( PS3 has limitation of Dolby 5.1 only for M2TS )

Low priority and Low resolution Stuff
6. Play DVD
7. Play mkv, avi, flac, mp3 from USB or DLNA. ( not sure how good ? )
8. Play photo. ( conveniently comparing with PS3)

I have seen some more complaints. Some of them might be minor issues.

Cons.

1. Loading tray is noisy even no disc inside.
2. Power on / off is slow response, it just looks no more display, network still on, even USB hard drive is still connected, not poweroff.
3. Play media from DLNA not reliable, sort of useless.
4. Play from USB, a little bit choppy.

OK, one more time, I guess:

The loading tray is not noisy - not on mine, anyway.

The power on/off, as well as the time to load a disc is quite snappy, IMO - at least with mine, anyway.

Playing media from DLNA is reliable and anything but useless - I just told you above that I have been able to stream uncompressed, and without transcoding, M2TS from a Blu-ray rip and it works reliably (assuming you know what you are doing with DLNA and can setup something like Serviio).

There are more universal players than Pioneer and Oppo: I have a second player which is a Denon that is universal. There are also players from Yamaha and Cambridge Audio. But, again, at $159.00 you are in a different territory than any of the previously mentioned players. I get the point about it being an Elite and, no, it's not heavy and built like a tank (although it appears to have a better build quality than either of my Sony players or my Denon player, which sounds like washing machine when it's loading a disc).

This is what I meant when I referred to threads about Apple TV and Roku. On the Roku thread, there are people complaining about what it *doesn't* do as well as other appliances, Macs and PCs used as home theater streamers and servers. But they forget that the Roku is a $79.00 appliance.
David Susilo and AVfile like this.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 848 Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Yes, this player is a "FAKE ELITE" (in my books) because there is no LX equivalent in Europe. It's lightweight and not worthy of the Elite badge, IMO. I still like the player a lot as my player is very smooth sailing. However, I can't recommend this player unless you want a universal player on the cheap. biggrin.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #633 of 848 Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Only is the original disc from Sony Pictures and encoded with Cinavia (Sony is the only studio using Cinavia...even then not in every movie)

Thanks David. Just bought this unit on ebay. I will just keep my old LG handy when needed if Pioneer will not play my back up copies.
post #634 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Bowler View Post

Quote:

Only is the original disc from Sony Pictures and encoded with Cinavia (Sony is the only studio using Cinavia...even then not in every movie)

Thanks David. Just bought this unit on ebay. I will just keep my old LG handy when needed if Pioneer will not play my back up copies.
I think the newer versions of AnyDVD HD have an option to turn on and off Cinavia detection. If you can, try it so youcan use the Pioneer. I'd take a Pioneer over an LG any day.
post #635 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
DVD-Audio Only Review

Machines look solid and beautiful with front metal plate. One is a 10/12,
other 12/12 manuf. date, both came to me loaded with latest firmware.
Both fleabay sellers must be audiophiles, double packed and pristine,
2 for less than 280 shipped!

Drives are flimsy and make noises on loading but not while playing,
missing 7-10-2-5 o'clock cutouts for ease of disc removal, lest they'd break.

Set HDMI to Separate, video resolution to 1080i to allow passage of
MLP's native rates, PCM set to 192kHz. HDMI1 goes to the secondary
monitor next to seating position, HDMI2 to the PR-SC5509 which shows
native rates, 96kHZ on incoming signal.

Compared to my 44.1/48kHz downrezzing Oppo DV-980H the soundstage
is bogger, and effects a lot more detailed. I listened a lot to Workingman's
Dead, Roy Orbison, Beatles Love before I put the Oppo away, so my memory
is very fresh.

Ultrarapid load/play times.

I love it for what I use it for, if it gets VUDU DD+ bitstreaming I will sell the PS3 for sure.
post #636 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Oh, I didn't know that there is more than one Euro mod. The one I bought didn't work on my 62 but works for the UK version of the player.

How can we tell the difference? Please inform us if possible. Thanks!
Quote:
I recently purchased this player in region free version with hardware chip from one of us vendors and it works just fine.

Me too, I recently purchased this player in region free version with hardware chip from one of us vendors and it works just fine with dvd and blu ray disks including 3D.
post #637 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 AM

@BigC-I do have AnyDVD HD on my desktop computer which is another room from my TV. How would I do this? I assume would involve having computer connected in playback. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #638 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I think the newer versions of AnyDVD HD have an option to turn on and off Cinavia detection. If you can, try it so youcan use the Pioneer. I'd take a Pioneer over an LG any day.

No, not quite. Slysoft has developed a workaround for software players running on the same PC as AnyDVD, which disables the trigger mechanism. They (everyone) is a long way from cracking Cinavia. Audio watermarks are extremely difficult to detect and, short of an information leak from a licensee or the vendor, will probably not be cracked. And, if it *is* cracked, Sony (er, I mean Cinavia) can simply develop a new watermark and require it in the following year's BD license agreement. And then it starts all over again.

Only BD players have to observe the watermark/trigger - players without a physical Blu-ray drive are not required to do anything and likely won't, since licensing Cinavia in your player is expensive per unit. AFAIK, with the BDP-62FD, it's only an issue with physical discs - if you archive a BD you own onto a hard drive and stream it to the player, there is no Cinavia detection.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #639 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

You may ask me why not buy other players instead of Pioneer because I need to play SACD and DVD-A, Right now Sony won't play DVD-A and Panasonic won't play SACD.
And most import their player dropped these features with advent of new firmware upgrade.
When I search blu-ray.com with SACD and DVD-A, only Pioneer and OPPO. My old SACD player PS3 and DVD-A player Panasonic are close to the end of life.

If you don't want to get an Oppo, my advice is to get a Sony that supports SACD and keep your Panasonic for DVD-A only. That should put 99% of your mileage on the Sony. Unless you have a huge DVD-A library I would not base any buying decision on that format.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #640 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

If you don't want to get an Oppo, my advice is to get a Sony that supports SACD and keep your Panasonic for DVD-A only. That should put 99% of your mileage on the Sony. Unless you have a huge DVD-A library I would not base any buying decision on that format.

Yeah, that's it. And, since the OP wants to run a DLNA server, he can rip his DVD-A collection and stream the tracks to his player, leaving only SACD as the format requiring a physical spinner (and remove the Panny from the stack). Oh, wait, the Sony BD players don't support FLAC streaming via DLNA - only USB, unless you transcode to LPCM with something like Serviio - so maybe the Pioneer BDP-62FD, which can stream FLAC high-res files.

post #641 of 848 Old 09-20-2013, 02:09 PM

I suddenly figured out that universal player had not come out yet, maybe never. That's why we will still need 3-4 players or maybe more in our TV console.
1.Blu-ray player for Blu-Ray and DVD video, not for DVD-A or SACD.
2.SACD player for SACD.
3.DVD-A player for DVA-A.
4.Media player for video streaming.
5.Unknow player for FLAC 24/96 music.

No one player can play them all, I think, at least, in a few years, No. New Video/Audio format will come out
post #642 of 848 Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I suddenly figured out that universal player had not come out yet, maybe never. That's why we will still need 3-4 players or maybe more in our TV console.
1.Blu-ray player for Blu-Ray and DVD video, not for DVD-A or SACD.
2.SACD player for SACD.
3.DVD-A player for DVA-A.
4.Media player for video streaming.
5.Unknow player for FLAC 24/96 music.

No one player can play them all, I think, at least, in a few years, No. New Video/Audio format will come out

My Pioneer BDP-62FD will do everything in your list, 1-5, above.
HDpalooza likes this.

post #643 of 848 Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

+1 i have read a lot of the post on the thread so far ..i must say that it has taken a bit of a low turn of late with some of the problems guys are getting with the player ...now with that said i don't want to think that the player i bought is somehow a one off .. but i have not gotten any of the trouble that some.. have with the 62 FD, not that it has been faultless..far from it .. a freeze up now and then when streaming ..but thats about it ..the player in IMO ..is still one of the best player out there "pound for pound" what its capable of doing as a multi-tasker..for the price is just about unheard of in todays market @ its price point ...@ David sorry..man i'm not with you on this one ..i love this player and i will recommend..it to anyone ...in the market looking for a UNI-player @ this price ..and i payed full price for it...biggrin.gif
HDpalooza and Krutsch like this.

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #644 of 848 Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Liked: 11
In defense of this player, I have had my 62 in use, as a stand alone player only, for about 9 months, as I don't do streaming on this machine. I purchased mine from Amazon as a return. It has the original 05 firmware and since there are no performance issues, I see no need to update. Mine has played all formats of discs and surprisingly my older backed-up DVD copies as well. The tray is rather quiet at startup and no lockups yet. The remote is however slow to respond at times but not a big deal. Based on my own experience with this player and at current pricing via Magnolia I would not hesitate to recommend this unit.
pioneertop likes this.
post #645 of 848 Old 09-21-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDpalooza View Post

In defense of this player, I have had my 62 in use, as a stand alone player only, for about 9 months, as I don't do streaming on this machine. I purchased mine from Amazon as a return. It has the original 05 firmware and since there are no performance issues, I see no need to update. Mine has played all formats of discs and surprisingly my older backed-up DVD copies as well. The tray is rather quiet at startup and no lockups yet. The remote is however slow to respond at times but not a big deal. Based on my own experience with this player and at current pricing via Magnolia I would not hesitate to recommend this unit.
nice..ohh i forgot to mention..the remote thanks for the mention of the remote its sucks...

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #646 of 848 Old 09-21-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Confirmed here as well. Same is played fine with my Kdlinks HD700 media player, but from the HDD instead.
post #647 of 848 Old 09-21-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have both my BDP-62FDs for sale here
along with a few more. Hoarding is a bad
habit.

I pulled out the non-refurb A1UDCI
from storage and it plays DVD-Audios
without exceptions.

I still think the 62 is a great player,
I even mused with the idea of using them
to replace the old LGs upstairs, but if my
5yo were to break the tray:(
post #648 of 848 Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Is there real benefit to separating video and audio on the 2 HDMI outs on the 62 ?
post #649 of 848 Old 09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely......no difference whatsoever (I tried and I really want to hear the difference. Yet...nothing)
Krutsch and CharleyC like this.

my home theatre

post #650 of 848 Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Absolutely......no difference whatsoever (I tried and I really want to hear the difference. Yet...nothing)

Good to hear. I was seriously thinking about experimenting with that, just for fun, but I'll pass on that now. Thanks for saving me some time cool.gif

post #651 of 848 Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks, David! I was also going to play around but now I won't. I was worried about HDMI Control getting confused with the dual HDMI config. The manual warns about that potential.
post #652 of 848 Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. The manual's claim is, well, bogus frown.gif I really want to hear the difference. With PQLS (when coupled with Pioneer receivers) I CAN hear the difference, but not with separate HDMI.

my home theatre

post #653 of 848 Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:

No problem. The manual's claim is, well, bogus frown.gif I really want to hear the difference. With PQLS (when coupled with Pioneer receivers) I CAN hear the difference, but not with separate HDMI.
I agree on the PQLS sounding better. It seems my "personal reference" CDs (E.g. Kind of Blue) sound more dynamic and less "digital". I just got the BDP-62 and SC-77 AVR. LOVE them both.
HDpalooza likes this.
post #654 of 848 Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Which is why I bought the combo (AVR and BD player). I won't claim that I can hear an improvement, for fear of incurring the wrath of ArnyK and his ABX/DBT posse. But from my experience writing protocol drivers in software, the engineering behind flow control is sound (pun intended) and it's too bad that HDMI doesn't enforce it as a standard.
AVfile likes this.

post #655 of 848 Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

After looking at the SC75 vs SC77 specs, I can't find any reason to get SC77 unless I want the Air Studios logo and the additional 5 wpc in order to get the THX Ultra2 certification (I will ONLY use it in 5.1 environment, no multi-zone needed)

Any input?

my home theatre

post #656 of 848 Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 PM

Hi David, I looked up the specs for all 3 top tier and it looks like the SC-75 hits the sweet spot. If you can find a good price I'd say go for it.

With Pioneers recent reorganization I wonder if next years receivers will be down graded or reorganized with less features and/or less choice. (Like elimination of the Elite line of receivers but we will see when it happens)
David Susilo likes this.
post #657 of 848 Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for your insight. I've read the 75/77 manuals down to the last letter (I have no need for the extra features on the 79) and I also came to the conclusion, as I don't need the multizone features, I should just stay with the 75.

Thank you again.

my home theatre

post #658 of 848 Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was looking to buy either the BDP-62 or the BDP-53. Which player is a better player?

I mostly watch blu-ray movies and listen to 2 Channel music SACD. I noticed the back of the BDP-53 got the 2 Channel Analog hookup for listening to 2 channel music. But I was wondering if the BDP-53 will load faster for blu-ray movies than the BDP-62.

I don't need the online feature such as Netflix. So I don't really care about all the online features. Just need a good player to watch blu-ray movies and listen to 2 Channel SACD music.
post #659 of 848 Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Just picked up the BDP 62 from Best Buy as an open box for 119.00. This should work well for Blu Ray and 3D in my living room.
post #660 of 848 Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Where do you go to get the latest software update for this player?

I went to the Pioneer website for the BDP-62FD and all I can see is the Owner's Manual and Product Sheet.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Home/Blu-ray-Disc-and-DVD/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/BDP-62FD

Is there another way to get the latest software update for this player? Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page