AVS Owner's thread for the pioneer elite bdp-62fd.. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 848 Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Same thing is going on with my player after the update. I just emailed Pioneer and asked them why their own firmware bricks their own player if the lan cable is connected. WTF Who knows if and when they'll fix it? Thankfully I have other more stable options for BD playback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 848 Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by temesgen View Post

Purchased an open box at BB couple weeks ago, I want to get wireless up and running on this. Have networking questions. What is the best way to do get wireless access up and running on this player - seems I have should have a couple options:

a) Run wireless adapter to receiver and piggyback off receiver
b) Run wireless adapter directly to player

Can someone recommend best way to do this and a good reasonably priced wireless adapter for this device?

This is what I bought to hook up my BDP-62FD up to the wireless network. That way I have extra network connections available for other HT equipment if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056VP0KS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
temesgen likes this.

post #723 of 848 Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM

Can I ask those who updated to the latest firmware on their 62 whether it was done manually or were you prompted by the player that there was a newer firmware available?

I'm only speculating that this firmware was not ready to go live till the bugs were worked out first.

Thanks
post #724 of 848 Old 11-11-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

Can I ask those who updated to the latest firmware on their 62 whether it was done manually or were you prompted by the player that there was a newer firmware available?

I'm only speculating that this firmware was not ready to go live till the bugs were worked out first.

Thanks

I have not tried this latest update. I think my current reads 2.09 or something of the like. However I did get an email about a future update for this player that states...

YouTube Service on Elite Blu-ray Disc Players

October 30, 2013

Google is making a change to the delivery of YouTube content such that a firmware update is required for continued access through Elite BDP-52FD, Elite BDP-53FD, Elite BDP-62FD or Pioneer BDP-140 and Pioneer BDP-150 Blu-ray Disc Players as of October 31, 2013. Although a YouTube icon may still appear on the screen, attempting to access the service will result in an error message.

Firmware updates for continued access by model will be found at the below address once available. Firmware for all models are planned to be available by the end of November.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/ch.Blu-ray-Disc.Support

We hope this change does not cause any inconvenience.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Pioneer Customer Service toll free at (800) 421-1404, Monday through Friday, from 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM and 3:30 PM – 7:00 PM (Eastern Time), excluding holidays.

Sincerely,

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
post #725 of 848 Old 11-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

Thanks

I updated using the file posted on the Pioneer website. That file has since been pulled, and v2.09 is back up. Whether the update was not adequately QCd, or was posted inadvertently, I don't know.
post #726 of 848 Old 11-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Same here, I used v2.12 from the Pioneer website. It seems that they have yanked it and reinstated v2.09 as the last poster said. You think they would have at least did some testing before sending out to the public. confused.gif

post #727 of 848 Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looking at possibly picking one of these up. Can someone tell me if I can power on & off via Pioneer's phone app if this is connected to your network?
post #728 of 848 Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Yes as long as you enable "Quick Start" in the settings menu.

post #729 of 848 Old 11-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Same thing is going on with my player after the update. I just emailed Pioneer and asked them why their own firmware bricks their own player if the lan cable is connected. WTF Who knows if and when they'll fix it? Thankfully I have other more stable options for BD playback.

Received this from Pioneer today.

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

We understand your concern and we do apologize for the problem this update has caused you. Our engineers are working on a fix that hopefully will be available by the end of the month. Please make sure to have registered your product so you can be notified once the update is available.

Sincerely,

David
Customer Service Representative

post #730 of 848 Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So if you disconnect the LAN cable and update, does the networking work if you reconnect after the update? Or does this update have a bug that permanently removes network capability?

Thanks - just not sure from the descriptions posted.
post #731 of 848 Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post

So if you disconnect the LAN cable and update, does the networking work if you reconnect after the update? Or does this update have a bug that permanently removes network capability?

Thanks - just not sure from the descriptions posted.

After the update, the player does not function at all if the LAN cable is plugged in.
post #732 of 848 Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Looking at possibly picking one of these up. Can someone tell me if I can power on & off via Pioneer's phone app if this is connected to your network?

what is the pioneer app called and are there any other benefits?

One a side note, what universal/consolidated remote do you recommended with this blu-ray player? I'm looking into the logitech harmony line.. its frustrating with a projector setup in a dark room when the buttons dont have a backlight.

thanks
post #733 of 848 Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM

so you guys are advising against upgrading to the latest firmware?

also, is there any issue keeping LAN port connected to the internet? Will updates automatically get pushed.. is it best to just keep it disconnected for now?
post #734 of 848 Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

what is the pioneer app called and are there any other benefits?

One a side note, what universal/consolidated remote do you recommended with this blu-ray player? I'm looking into the logitech harmony line.. its frustrating with a projector setup in a dark room when the buttons dont have a backlight.

thanks

The App is IControlAV2012. It's a pretty neat little app and you'll need the 62FD to be connected to your network. You can check the features in the Apple app store if you're an Apple fan. It's a free download and if you don't like it you can always trash it.

As for universal remotes I'm a fan of the Logitech's Harmony line. I'm currently using the Touch for my main living room and the 650 in the bedroom. Love them both.
post #735 of 848 Old 11-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

so you guys are advising against upgrading to the latest firmware?

also, is there any issue keeping LAN port connected to the internet? Will updates automatically get pushed.. is it best to just keep it disconnected for now?

Well Pioneer pulled it when some members reported issues. See bguzman post #279. I'm not sure regarding the auto push. I did have mine connected when v2.09 was released and I had to initiate the download myself.
post #736 of 848 Old 11-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDs View Post

Well Pioneer pulled it when some members reported issues. See bguzman post #729. I'm not sure regarding the auto push. I did have mine connected when v2.09 was released and I had to initiate the download myself.

Fixed. Yes Pioneer knows they messed up. Some here say the lan is not needed but if you utilize DLNA it is obviously very important. tongue.gif

post #737 of 848 Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM

Liked: 42
Just picked up the BDP-62 from Magnolia in Seattle this weekend (last one apparently) for ~$140. Connected LAN cable, updated the firmware to 2.09, turned on "Quick Start" function, set to YCbCr (4:4:4) and 36 bit deep color. I watched a few movies (Dark Knight, Oblivion, Pacific Rim), and so far so good. The player loads quickly, much more so than either my PS3 or the Sony bluray player in our bedroom. I have it hooked up to my Panny VT60 plasma, via a Yamaha A1010 reciever, and I have no lip-sync issues so far.

I changed the video setting from "PDP" (default) to "Professional", as it minimizes video processing (according to the manual). I'm curious what other 62 owners are using as thier video preset. Anyone else using "Professional"? or are you using "Custom"? My VT60 plasma is calibrated, and I find the "Professional" setting to be much better than the default "PDP' preset. On "Professional", the image quality is a notch better than my PS3 (at least to my eyes).

Assuming I don't experience any of the major issues some owners here have had, I couldn't be more pleased with this player. Its quick, it looks good, awesome PQ, and it plays DVD-audio (which was the main reason going with this player). As an owner of an Acura TL with DVD-audio playback, I'm finally able to play these discs at home!
mshare likes this.

Room1:Panasonic 65VT60/Yamaha A1010/Denon DBT1713/Definitive BP8, CLR2300, SM350/Martin Logan Dynamo1000
Room2:Samsung 64D8000/Yamaha A730/Definitive BP8040, BP6, Mythos 3/PS3, Xbox 360
Bedroom:Samsung 58B860
Office:Audioengine N22/Fiio D3 DAC/Athena P5/Polk PSW10
Car:Acura ELS DVD-audio/Focal
post #738 of 848 Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
From my tests using the Spears & Munsil 2nd Edition disc, RGB Full is the best output for the 62FD. The Chroma Multiburst pattern fails miserably for YCbCr and YCbCr422. Even on the HDMI SUB output. RGB output introduces banding (tested with the DTS World teaser when the sine waves scene pans into the sky and ocean). There is no banding with RGB Full.

I would say that the 62FD has some semi-serious PQ issues. If you have an xvCC display you couldn't use RGB Full because of clipping. frown.gif
mshare likes this.
post #739 of 848 Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Hi All,

I recently purchased a bdp-62fd and have been running into a weird issue with it: from time to time throughout DVD or Blu-Ray playback the receiver that this unit is hooked up to shuts off, then turns back on without any action on my part. The receiver does not shut off and turn back on randomly when any other device is running through it (cable box, PS3, Wii, Apple TV), so it must be that the Elite BDP-62FD is causing the receiver to turn off and back on.

The unit is hooked up to the receiver (Pioneer VSX-1020) via an HDMI cable (from HDMI Main to the BD HDMI port on the receiver). I contacted Pioneer technical support and they had know idea what was happening. The unit is out of the 30-day window to return it to the store where I bought, but it is stil under warranty. I really do not want to send the unit to Pioneer for possible repair when I don't know first know what is going on. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I hooked the unit up to the receiver with a different HDMI cable and had the same problem. I also hooked the unit up to a different HDMI port on the receiver and again, had the same issue. I am skeptical that there is just some setting on the unit or receiver that I have not set properly, but its worth asking before I pay out of pocket to ship this brand new unit across the country for warranty service. In scrolling through the set-up menu, the only setting that looked relevant was HDMI Control, which I have set to Off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #740 of 848 Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Upgrade, have you tried using the other HDMI port on the BDP-62FD?
post #741 of 848 Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 PM

Upgrading my receiver to a Denon X4000, which doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs for SACD / DVD-Audio, so I am at looking to buy a Universal Disc player to replace my old Yamaha disc player (the Yamaha doesn't play Blu Ray and doesn't have an HDMI out - I have a Samsung Blu Ray player for playing Blu Rays).

I have narrowed my choice to the BDP-62fd and the Oppo-BDP-103. I have never heard a bad word about Oppo, so I'm tempted to go that way, but on Amazon the BDP-62fd is $200 cheaper, which certainly makes it attractive.

Thoughts?
post #742 of 848 Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Have a look at these reviews:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/pioneer-bdp-62fd-blu-ray-player.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/oppo-bdp-103-blu-ray-player.html

Basically, the 62FD has video quality flaws. Scroll up see my thoughts on it.

It is a very very fast Blu-ray player - menus take seconds to load that would sometimes take minutes on my Dune Smart H1 or my old Panasonic DMP-BD55.
post #743 of 848 Old 11-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I am at looking to buy a Universal Disc player to replace my old Yamaha disc player (the Yamaha doesn't play Blu Ray and doesn't have an HDMI out - I have a Samsung Blu Ray player for playing Blu Rays).

I have narrowed my choice to the BDP-62fd and the Oppo-BDP-103. I have never heard a bad word about Oppo, so I'm tempted to go that way, but on Amazon the BDP-62fd is $200 cheaper, which certainly makes it attractive.

Be sure to check out the Denon DBT-1713UD. I've heard there could be some great deals on this player in the next few days. No Denon link on this unit but it covers everything else. It doesn't suffer from the video issues as the Pioneer.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catid=bluerayplayers(denonna)&pid=dbt1713ud%20(denonna)
post #744 of 848 Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 PM

Liked: 16
HI GUYS, i just bought this unit at best buy for 40 dollars. Granted, it had no box, a pioneer remote from a receiver, but it works with it. It doesn't have the elite tray plate on the disc tray because i guess it is missing. I took a chance and came home with it since it was only 40 bucks, i figured, why not. i have just updated it to the 2009 software and so far it seems good. however, i encountered a glitch that perhaps most of you have not bothered to look into.
Try this:
go into pandora, play some music and you will see the pandora menu without issues. Then go back and go to your MUSIC on your DLNA and play a song then go back to your pandora and play something. You will notice that pandora will work, but now you dont get ANYTHING on your display but the pandora background without any sort of information. All you will hear is pandora music but without the menu and only the blue and black background... I had to turn off my bluray and then turn it back on and everything will be fine until i go back to the DLNA and play a file and then go to pandora and the pandora menu is gone again... try it please and let me know if you guys have the same issue...
post #745 of 848 Old 11-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post

HI GUYS, i just bought this unit at best buy for 40 dollars. Granted, it had no box, a pioneer remote from a receiver, but it works with it. It doesn't have the elite tray plate on the disc tray because i guess it is missing. I took a chance and came home with it since it was only 40 bucks, i figured, why not. .

Hmmm, perhaps you got a gray market import of a BDP450, the European equivalent model?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #746 of 848 Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Hmmm, perhaps you got a gray market import of a BDP450, the European equivalent model?

no it is the 62fd, but the elite portion o the trab seems to have fallen off..
post #747 of 848 Old 11-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just picked up a BDP-62FD for $103 + tax at a best buy in California while on a family trip. It was missing the remote but physical condition looks great. I plugged it in when I got home and it had an Avatar bluray in it as well! smile.gif. Look forward to hooking this up in my theater room when I get home later this weekend.
post #748 of 848 Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

Upgrading my receiver to a Denon X4000, which doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs for SACD / DVD-Audio, so I am at looking to buy a Universal Disc player to replace my old Yamaha disc player (the Yamaha doesn't play Blu Ray and doesn't have an HDMI out - I have a Samsung Blu Ray player for playing Blu Rays).

Thoughts?

I too was looking at the Oppo 103, but I couldn't quite get myself to drop that kind of coin (~$500). So I took a chance with the Pioneer BDP 62 since it was such a good price at Magnolia. Perhaps you can call around and see if they have one in stock. For less than $150, I think the Pioneer is a steal, and it plays my Bluray and DVD-audio discs quite nicely. Its quick too!

Room1:Panasonic 65VT60/Yamaha A1010/Denon DBT1713/Definitive BP8, CLR2300, SM350/Martin Logan Dynamo1000
Room2:Samsung 64D8000/Yamaha A730/Definitive BP8040, BP6, Mythos 3/PS3, Xbox 360
Bedroom:Samsung 58B860
Office:Audioengine N22/Fiio D3 DAC/Athena P5/Polk PSW10
Car:Acura ELS DVD-audio/Focal
post #749 of 848 Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Ended up going with the Denon DBT1713. Magnolia was selling them for half price last week, so I took advantage of it. I hadn't considered the Denon previously because I had never seen it offered for a lower price than the Oppo. At the same price, I would go Oppo, but at half price the Denon was too good to pass up.
post #750 of 848 Old 12-05-2013, 12:35 PM

I don't think comparisons with the Oppo 103 are valid anymore since the Pioneer is available for around $150 or so now while the Oppo is still $500.  For $150 I don't think you can beat the Pioneer if you can find one, for $500 I don't think you can beat the Oppo.  I love my 62fd.  It makes the best sound I have heard from my system, and I picked mine up with remote for $125.  I have never heard the Oppo, I am sure it is great but it was over my budget anyway.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page