AVS Owner's thread for the pioneer elite bdp-62fd.. - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #871 of 894 Old 01-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Curious, would any owners here of the BDP-62FD see any reason to ever purchase the newly released BDP-80FD?

Is it a step forward, backward or is it about the same level of features and quality between these 2 blu-ray players?

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 894 Old 02-01-2015, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy

I can't for the life of me remember the 4 digit passcode I chose during the initial setup. Does anyone know a way to force a reset???
post #873 of 894 Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelboy4701 View Post
I can't for the life of me remember the 4 digit passcode I chose during the initial setup. Does anyone know a way to force a reset???
Try this:

1. Go to the home menu.

2. Highlight "Initial Settings."

3. Press "ENTER."

4. Highlight "Options," but do not press "ENTER."

5. Enter 8520.

6. Highlight the password reset.

7. Press "ENTER."

8. Exit the menu.

Except for the fact you need to highlight "Options," this is similar to many Blu-ray players with MediaTek CPUs. For your sake and the sake of anyone else in this situation, I really do hope I'm right about this.

Good luc,

Chris
post #874 of 894 Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Try this:

1. Go to the home menu.

2. Highlight "Initial Settings."

3. Press "ENTER."

4. Highlight "Options," but do not press "ENTER."

5. Enter 8520.

6. Highlight the password reset.

7. Press "ENTER."

8. Exit the menu.

Except for the fact you need to highlight "Options," this is similar to many Blu-ray players with MediaTek CPUs. For your sake and the sake of anyone else in this situation, I really do hope I'm right about this.

Good luc,

Chris
Thanks for the help. It worked - sort of. It took me a few attempts to realize that it reset the passcode to 0000
post #875 of 894 Old 10-13-2015, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Front Display Died

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48548 View Post
Well my pioneer display just went dark and after an hour or so it will start to be dim,but display some data..... The fl button didn't help either.
After 2 1/2 years of stellar service, the front display on my 62FD died. This, combined with the nearly useless remote control, has made it very difficult to use my Blu-ray player. Pioneer wants $80 just to look at it, plus the cost of repair. Does anybody here know of an inexpensive fix for the front display?

I am looking for suggestions on new Blu-ray player. I want the best possible picture quality from Blu-rays and upscaled DVDs (1080p). I don't care about 4K, streaming, Apps, or internal DACs (I will bitstream to my receiver). Do I have any options under $200?

I compared the performance of my 62FD against a Sony s790 using a Toy Story 2 Blu-ray. The image from the Pioneer had greater depth and realism, seeming almost 3-dimensional. The Sony's picture was also very good, but just not as realistic as the Pioneer's. But, on the Aladdin DVD, the Sony seemed to produce a richer, more detailed picture! Now I'm stumped.

Last edited by Spock1234; 10-13-2015 at 10:59 PM.
post #876 of 894 Old 10-13-2015, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I love my oppo I got to replace it when mine went dim.
post #877 of 894 Old 10-14-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
After 2 1/2 years of stellar service, the front display on my 62FD died. This, combined with the nearly useless remote control, has made it very difficult to use my Blu-ray player. Pioneer wants $80 just to look at it, plus the cost of repair. Does anybody here know of an inexpensive fix for the front display?

I am looking for suggestions on new Blu-ray player. I want the best possible picture quality from Blu-rays and upscaled DVDs (1080p). I don't care about 4K, streaming, Apps, or internal DACs (I will bitstream to my receiver). Do I have any options under $200?

I compared the performance of my 62FD against a Sony s790 using a Toy Story 2 Blu-ray. The image from the Pioneer had greater depth and realism, seeming almost 3-dimensional. The Sony's picture was also very good, but just not as realistic as the Pioneer's. But, on the Aladdin DVD, the Sony seemed to produce a richer, more detailed picture! Now I'm stumped.
I used to have a 62fd and compared it directly with the s790. I also replicated the results you experienced in which the 62fd had poor DVD upscaling abilities compared to the s790.

I didn't really notice any substantial difference in Blu-ray PQ. Have you tried adjusting the s790 picture options to get it to match what you saw on the 62fd? Sounds like adjusting the options related to contrast/black levels would help.
Spock1234 likes this.
post #878 of 894 Old 10-14-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G7 View Post
I used to have a 62fd and compared it directly with the s790. I also replicated the results you experienced in which the 62fd had poor DVD upscaling abilities compared to the s790.

I didn't really notice any substantial difference in Blu-ray PQ. Have you tried adjusting the s790 picture options to get it to match what you saw on the 62fd? Sounds like adjusting the options related to contrast/black levels would help.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try changing some settings on the Sony.

Meanwhile, I changed the settings on the Pioneer (changed Display Type from 'Professional' to 'PDP') and it brought the DVD image quality closer to that of the Sony.
post #879 of 894 Old 10-31-2015, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Curious, would any owners here of the BDP-62FD see any reason to ever purchase the newly released BDP-80FD?

Is it a step forward, backward or is it about the same level of features and quality between these 2 blu-ray players?

Thanks guys

No Netflix streaming and PQLS? Seems like a step backwards to me.
post #880 of 894 Old 11-03-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

Thanks guys
And no DVD-Audio, so it's not a Universal Player
post #881 of 894 Old 01-23-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a BDP-62FD, I'm having a weird problem. Every old blu-ray movie I have plays fine, any new blu-ray I purchased over the past month keeps skipping in the player yet all of the old movies play fine. I purchased inside out, ant man and Jurassic World they all seem to skip like crazy during the movie previews but once the movie starts (if I can get past the freezing and skipping) the movie itself seems to play fine. has anyone heard of this? any help would be appreciated.

post #882 of 894 Old 01-28-2016, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My display no longer lights up on my BDP-62. Anyone have similar problems?
post #883 of 894 Old 01-28-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeh View Post
My display no longer lights up on my BDP-62. Anyone have similar problems?
Just mine. Returned it and paid the difference for the oppo.
post #884 of 894 Old 02-22-2016, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48548 View Post
Just mine. Returned it and paid the difference for the oppo.
follow up story; my 62 lost its display as well. likely during warranty but I didn't realize it as I was running the display off so my grandkids didn't push buttons. Pioneer said too bad with a who cares matter of fact warranty phone response. My cc company would cover up to the purchase price if sent through a authorized Pioneer warranty service center. but only up to the purchase price - $158 in my case; it was a new BB purchase. here is the repair diagnostics

"For the symptom of no display, finding no cracks or defects w/the display. The measurements I took while you had the BDP62 Pioneer unit here, I found supply voltages feeding the display were good. This directs me into thinking the main board may be defective. This board costs $334.25 + labor of $125 or a total of: $459.25 + tax."

when I wrote Pioneer a good-bye email stating my displeasure with the unit failure, the poor customer service attitude I told them the income lost on the Elite 95/97 receiver I was about to buy would be more than to replace or fix the 62. basically I see little difference between the competing receiver manufactures. Then a higher up asked for more info, original receipt, the prepair info, ........ which I have provided. Sooooo sad but not a word since I sent that material in.

I give kudo's for customer support when there is an operational question. Like most companies though they could care less about service, at least that is my opinion.

I hope the diagnostics helps those with similar display issues. I will be buying Yamaha moving forward.
Chris
post #885 of 894 Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie View Post
follow up story; my 62 lost its display as well. likely during warranty but I didn't realize it as I was running the display off so my grandkids didn't push buttons. Pioneer said too bad with a who cares matter of fact warranty phone response. My cc company would cover up to the purchase price if sent through a authorized Pioneer warranty service center. but only up to the purchase price - $158 in my case; it was a new BB purchase. here is the repair diagnostics

"For the symptom of no display, finding no cracks or defects w/the display. The measurements I took while you had the BDP62 Pioneer unit here, I found supply voltages feeding the display were good. This directs me into thinking the main board may be defective. This board costs $334.25 + labor of $125 or a total of: $459.25 + tax."

when I wrote Pioneer a good-bye email stating my displeasure with the unit failure, the poor customer service attitude I told them the income lost on the Elite 95/97 receiver I was about to buy would be more than to replace or fix the 62. basically I see little difference between the competing receiver manufactures. Then a higher up asked for more info, original receipt, the prepair info, ........ which I have provided. Sooooo sad but not a word since I sent that material in.

I give kudo's for customer support when there is an operational question. Like most companies though they could care less about service, at least that is my opinion.

I hope the diagnostics helps those with similar display issues. I will be buying Yamaha moving forward.
Chris
Sadly, mine was under warranty I sent it in and they fixed the display. 6 months later the display was broken again. I called and they said there was nothing they could do about it anymore. I think I will be saying goodbye to Pioneer as well. I was a pretty loyal customer. AVRs of their's I've owned VSX-47TX, VSX-94, SC-05, SC-35 and an SC-67. BDPs of theirs that I have owned BDP-95, BDP-05, BDP 52 and BDP-62. I guess the SC-97 won't go on my shopping list. They start building crappy product then fewer people buy their stuff. Then they close their doors claiming no one bought their equipment.
post #886 of 894 Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 AM

Liked: 15
Mine works fine and has worked fine since I spent $128 to get it as an open box special at my local best buy 2 years ago. If I do have a problem with it I will have no problem replacing it rather than getting it fixed with a player with analog outs. I had a problem with my Marantz SR6007 and had to send it in for warranty repair. While it was gone I set up a 2 channel system with an old Audible Illusions pre amp and an Acurus 150 watt amp. The Pioneer was useless because I had no way to hook it up to the old Pre amp since it had no analog outs. Luckily the Marantz was was repaired and back in just about a week. I had to send it from Virginia to Atlanta, It would freeze if you left it on all day listening to the TV, they replaced the HDMI board, updated the receiver and gave it a good internal cleaning, all N/C. Kudos to Marantz and Normans in Atlanta.
post #887 of 894 Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeh View Post
Sadly, mine was under warranty I sent it in and they fixed the display. 6 months later the display was broken again. I called and they said there was nothing they could do about it anymore. I think I will be saying goodbye to Pioneer as well. I was a pretty loyal customer. AVRs of their's I've owned VSX-47TX, VSX-94, SC-05, SC-35 and an SC-67. BDPs of theirs that I have owned BDP-95, BDP-05, BDP 52 and BDP-62. I guess the SC-97 won't go on my shopping list. They start building crappy product then fewer people buy their stuff. Then they close their doors claiming no one bought their equipment.
I had a Pioneer receiver in the mid 70's that never stopped working for years. replaced it with an Onkyo that is still working 20 years later. replaced it with an Elite 74 about 8 years ago. Wanting to have a receiver that passes 1080P (and DTSx) is the reason I am looking to replace the 74. But has been flawless. my feeling is that everything electronic has no longevity built in, and in general quality, build and control stinks. If I had the room I would try USA built separetes. Is there a site that rates quality of electronics? At least speaker manufactures give 5 and 10 year warranties.
post #888 of 894 Old 02-22-2016, 05:23 PM

I still have my elite pro 530hdi and I love it. But seriously elite doesn't mean squat. All of my sony es came with 5 years and still work fine. Why didn't pioneer give 5 year warranties instead of 2?
post #889 of 894 Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FWIW, very often dim or fading displays can be sourced to failed cold solders. Although I haven't seen the problem yet, if you are handy, and you have nothing to loose, taking some time to reheat a number of joints in the vicinity might do the trick, if your lucky. If anyone gives it a whirl, please report back. Sounds like a chronic problem coming up.
post #890 of 894 Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just joined the faded display club as well. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post
FWIW, very often dim or fading displays can be sourced to failed cold solders. Although I haven't seen the problem yet, if you are handy, and you have nothing to loose, taking some time to reheat a number of joints in the vicinity might do the trick, if your lucky. If anyone gives it a whirl, please report back. Sounds like a chronic problem coming up.
post #891 of 894 Old 05-25-2016, 04:41 PM

I purchased this on clearance at Best Buy in 2013. It has super low hours (probably only two or three movies). Yesterday I turned it on and there was no display. Blu Ray audio would work but no video. Menus and Netflix displayed fine.

I have read the posts about the display problems. Has anyone seen the no video problem at the same time? Has anyone had a repair done by Pioneer?

Pioneer said it is bad and needs to be repaired. However they would not quote a cost. "somewhere between $50 and $200". They do not show any local repair centers so there would also be shipping costs.

Comments or recommendations?

Thank You
post #892 of 894 Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM

Update on my previous post: BDP-62FD.
Just spent over two hours on the phone with Pioneer. Finally talked to someone who said they no longer do direct repairs and recommended a service center 120 miles away.
The service center said that the total lack of support from Pioneer is due to a buyout by Onkyo. The Pioneer consumer brand may or may not be retained.
He said that the Blu Ray players are considered non-serviceable and they have not worked on one. They want $25 plus return shipping cost to "evaluate" the unit and suggested that it would be best to throw it away because parts and service would far exceed its value.

And of course, Best Buy who sells tons of this crap is completely useless when it comes to service.
post #893 of 894 Old 05-26-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My 2.5 yr. old unit doesn't read discs of any kind anymore and display went dead. Luckily I live in Canada and Elite products came with a 3 year warranty. I pay the shipping costs to get it to the repair center, they pay return shipping.

We'll see how they handle it. They'll likely want to replace it with the current model.
post #894 of 894 Old 05-26-2016, 05:13 PM

I am not impressed. My unit when it broke had maybe 30 hours on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page