AVS Owner's thread for the pioneer elite bdp-62fd.. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 859 Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 147
ok..well am done with setting up ..this bad boy.. must say from out of the box this thing is fast real fast...from power up to load time ... started with some jazz sacd's all i can say is wow...the audio/ Qlty of this pioneer .. is up there with the very best out there....music sounds so rich and inviting ..warm and clear ...full and natural ..bluray time .. loads some of my favorites movies.. again load times were very good picture/ Qlty is topnotch ....did not do any video settings ....i pair this with my elite -pro kuro so no need for video settings ...have much more testing to do ...but so far no glitches ...tongue.gif

loves...home theather/music/football:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 859 Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I find that this player is a marked improvement over the 53 (and 23, and 09, and 05 and 51 and 1 -- yes I used to own all of them, and I still own most of them). In the audio department, I still can tell when PQLS is being turned on and off in 2-ch audio CD playback, but in the 62 I can't hear the difference at all.

Also for unknown reason, the 3D pop up scenes using BDP-62 is better than the 53 in A/B test in my HT room.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 859 Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

ok..well am done with setting up ..this bad boy.. must say from out of the box this thing is fast real fast...from power up to load time ... started with some jazz sacd's all i can say is wow...the audio/ Qlty of this pioneer .. is up there with the very best out there....music sounds so rich and inviting ..warm and clear ...full and natural ..bluray time .. loads some of my favorites movies.. again load times were very good picture/ Qlty is topnotch ....did not do any video settings ....i pair this with my elite -pro kuro so no need for video settings ...have much more testing to do ...but so far no glitches ...tongue.gif

Looks really sweet with that panel and the nice stand. I want one!

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #94 of 859 Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I find that this player is a marked improvement over the 53 (and 23, and 09, and 05 and 51 and 1 -- yes I used to own all of them, and I still own most of them). In the audio department, I still can tell when PQLS is being turned on and off in 2-ch audio CD playback, but in the 62 I can't hear the difference at all.
Also for unknown reason, the 3D pop up scenes using BDP-62 is better than the 53 in A/B test in my HT room.

am with you again on this one david...i to have owned the 23/51/05 not the 09 so cant say on that one ...just sold the 23/51 ...and the performance of this player is better ..not taking anything away form the 23/51/05 they are very good ..but this bdp-62 steps ahead ...when it comes to pqls i use to here when its off and on with the 23/ 51 but with the 62 its not that prominent...

post #95 of 859 Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Looks really sweet with that panel and the nice stand. I want one!
thanks krutsch:D

post #96 of 859 Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hey guys..well am not sure what to call this one ? ...the player work fine ..so far till today when pandora will not load ..the player says (connect to pandora failed) no matter what i do i cant get pandora on the 62....help!!!!

post #97 of 859 Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:

hey guys..well am not sure what to call this one ? ...the player work fine ..so far till today when pandora will not load ..the player says (connect to pandora failed) no matter what i do i cant get pandora on the 62....help!!!!

I just got mine, yesterday. I will look into Pandora when I get home tonight. I don't recall even seeing it in the setup menu rolleyes.gif

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #98 of 859 Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

I just got mine, yesterday. I will look into Pandora when I get home tonight. I don't recall even seeing it in the setup menu rolleyes.gif

Hmmm... it was in the Web Contents section and it loaded up and played just fine. The user interface was quite a bit nicer than the one built into the AVR (Pioneer VSX-1122-K). You will probably need to call Pioneer support (or e-mail them; they have been very responsive to my questions in the past).

post #99 of 859 Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmmm... it was in the Web Contents section and it loaded up and played just fine. The user interface was quite a bit nicer than the one built into the AVR (Pioneer VSX-1122-K). You will probably need to call Pioneer support (or e-mail them; they have been very responsive to my questions in the past).
hey..thanks.. i called pioneer with no avail ..... am not sure what to do now ..seeing i sold my 23/and my 51 ....they said to send it in to get look at .....

post #100 of 859 Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

hey..thanks.. i called pioneer with no avail ..... am not sure what to do now ..seeing i sold my 23/and my 51 ....they said to send it in to get look at .....

Is it possible that you entered in an incorrect username or password, when setting up the unit? Maybe there is a way to return the device to factory defaults and start over... something to try before sending it back. It seems unlikely that the hardware is defective, assuming that you can connect to other things (like Netflix or YouTube).

post #101 of 859 Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is it possible that you entered in an incorrect username or password, when setting up the unit? Maybe there is a way to return the device to factory defaults and start over... something to try before sending it back. It seems unlikely that the hardware is defective, assuming that you can connect to other things (like Netflix or YouTube).
yeah ...your right about the other web content ..netflix and youtube/pircasa works fine its just pandora thats not connectting..

post #102 of 859 Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

hey...krutsch..this thing is funny it just started to work all on its on ...now pandora logs on and i can listen to the jazzmarsters raido ....not sure what happend there...thanks anyway:D

post #103 of 859 Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

hey...krutsch..this thing is funny it just started to work all on its on ...now pandora logs on and i can listen to the jazzmarsters raido ....not sure what happend there...thanks anyway:D

Could be related to modifications by the Pandora service? Marantz is reporting a similar issue and will require a firmware update.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431914/marantz-av8801/570#post_22647298
post #104 of 859 Old 12-01-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Could be related to modifications by the Pandora service? Marantz is reporting a similar issue and will require a firmware update.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431914/marantz-av8801/570#post_22647298

hey tank...yes i think it was pandora..itself .....i called pioneer about.. when an update will be out for the 62......he said no e.t.a on the update so far......
and bu the way i really think it was pandora..because all the web content ..like picasa and netflex and youtube was working fine ..it was just pandora..for about one day it did not work.....but it start work the next day just fine.....

post #105 of 859 Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well guys i just had to say......last night i got in the .. Diana Krall ..SACD's ...( when i look in your eyes) loaded ... the 62 up and began to listen ......OMG ..is all i can say this thing sounds amazing .. its running off the 1121-k and a pair of polkaudio rt-600's they are about 5FT apart and about 2" from the back wall...they sound better that way..in the space i have..... as the disc began to play ..sacd lights up on the 1121-k ..and multi-ch PQLS came on..... the music took me away as if i was in the studio with the band ...Diana's mellow voice sounded ture to life..rich warm and full....bass was so good ..treble to.. mids came out just right ..i did not have to do any adjustments..to the 1121-k at all ...i have been a fan of many brands over the years ..have owned many ....but i have to say pioneer's sound Q... is up there with the best of them.....each track sounded better and better ..the more i played the more i wanted to listen to this thing ...biggrin.gif

post #106 of 859 Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

No, the problem remains. However, since the 3D is so very good, I relegated the 62 to my HT where I already own a WDTV Live making it a non-problem.
I brought my Oppo 103 to my bedroom and use it as a BD player and a media player.

I finally hit this with an M2TS w/ Dolby TrueHD, streaming from Serviio without transcoding. I had to hard boot the player to get the audio back in full, but it then worked across a bunch of files after that.

This all started because the new Disney Brave BD was crashing and locking up the bdp-62fd at 5:15 into the movie. I hope there is a firmware update coming...

post #107 of 859 Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

62FD- sound quality.. sacd..

post #108 of 859 Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10
I picked up a Mitsubishi WD-82742 DLP, A pioneer VSX-60 reciever and was considering the 62FD. I'm new to the all HDMI connections as my last Pioneer reciever is about 12 years old. I have not set anything up as of yet and was considering all the different features of each component and how to wire them. The AVR is pretty capable with video manipulation and got me thinking whats the point of having all the redundancy with the Blu-Ray player...

If I end up turning a compnents feature to "through" for video, which component should handle video upscaling/effects...the AVR? The Blu-Ray? or should I be going straight from the Blu-Ray to the TV by-passing the AVR except for sending audio from Blu-Ray to the Reciever? Same for Cable...I have TIme Warner with HDMI box..should it go straight to the TV or to the AVR?

I guess back to my original point of when is it overkill...do I really need an expensive high end Blu-Ray player that basically has most of the features that the VSX-60 seems to handle. I really only use netflix and have a Roku box so I dont care about net apps and all that crap...just mainly watch Blu-rays with a 5.1 speaker setup..
post #109 of 859 Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphtx View Post

I picked up a Mitsubishi WD-82742 DLP, A pioneer VSX-60 reciever and was considering the 62FD. I'm new to the all HDMI connections as my last Pioneer reciever is about 12 years old. I have not set anything up as of yet and was considering all the different features of each component and how to wire them. The AVR is pretty capable with video manipulation and got me thinking whats the point of having all the redundancy with the Blu-Ray player...
If I end up turning a compnents feature to "through" for video, which component should handle video upscaling/effects...the AVR? The Blu-Ray? or should I be going straight from the Blu-Ray to the TV by-passing the AVR except for sending audio from Blu-Ray to the Reciever? Same for Cable...I have TIme Warner with HDMI box..should it go straight to the TV or to the AVR?
I guess back to my original point of when is it overkill...do I really need an expensive high end Blu-Ray player that basically has most of the features that the VSX-60 seems to handle. I really only use netflix and have a Roku box so I dont care about net apps and all that crap...just mainly watch Blu-rays with a 5.1 speaker setup..

well lets start with congrats.. nice tv..the vsx60 is also good...
1 you have a top tear tv...and avr ..
2 set them up the way they should be hooked up for the best sound and pictute..
3 from ur avr hdmi out to ur tv....and ur cable box ..and all ur source inputs to ur vsx 60...
4 ur vsx60 has qdeo ..so you should let it upscale .all ur video inputs..yes it can do that...
5 you cant go wrong with the 62fd..

post #110 of 859 Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the quick response. So basically run everything to the AVR and then out from the AVR to the TV is what I think I got from your response. Its what I had planned on, but the last statement about not going wrong with the 62FD was my original question...of course I would not go wrong with it, but is it really necessary! I'm trying to justify spending $400 vs using the free Samsung ED5800 Blu-Ray (I think) that came free with the TV. I'm obviously concerned with a "freebie" Blu-Ray player not being up to par, but if the AVR is so great at upscaling video and audio, should it really matter if all I really want from the player is for it to play BD's?
post #111 of 859 Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm trying to justify spending $400 vs using the free Samsung ED5800 Blu-Ray (I think) that came free with the TV. I'm obviously concerned with a "freebie" Blu-Ray player not being up to par, but if the AVR is so great at upscaling video and audio, should it really matter if all I really want from the player is for it to play BD's?

....well in that case...i think u should save that money for ..something else .. the 62 fd is more of an audiofile .. unit that's geared towards sacd's, dvd audio,and high res, flac and wave .mkv's file playback...so if your not into that then you are ok...

post #112 of 859 Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to justify spending $400 vs using the free Samsung ED5800 Blu-Ray (I think) that came free with the TV. I'm obviously concerned with a "freebie" Blu-Ray player not being up to par, but if the AVR is so great at upscaling video and audio, should it really matter if all I really want from the player is for it to play BD's?
....well in that case...i think u should save that money for ..something else .. the 62 fd is more of an audiofile .. unit that's geared towards sacd's, dvd audio,and high res, flac and wave .mkv's file playback...so if your not into that then you are ok...

Yes, that's it exactly. For playback of music (SACD, DVD-A and Redbook CD) I am blown away how well the 62 serves as a transport to my Pioneer VSX-1122-K - PQLS and all. Best sound I've ever heard with headphones (Grado RS2i) and, as such, I've gone back to spinning discs for active listening.

But... for video and commercial streaming, my $100.00 Sony BDP-S590 provides better value - the Netflix streaming on the Sony is incredible, PQ -wise, and the PQ for Blu-rays and upscaled DVDs looks the same on both players, as far as I can tell. I am still working to get my Pioneer BDP-62FD to work well with Serviio and my expansive video collection (I need to create a custom profile), but on the few tests I've run the PQ is simply awesome. But, so was my Sony in this regard...

post #113 of 859 Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, that's it exactly. For playback of music (SACD, DVD-A and Redbook CD) I am blown away how well the 62 serves as a transport to my Pioneer VSX-1122-K - PQLS and all. Best sound I've ever heard with headphones (Grado RS2i) and, as such, I've gone back to spinning discs for active listening.
But... for video and commercial streaming, my $100.00 Sony BDP-S590 provides better value - the Netflix streaming on the Sony is incredible, PQ -wise, and the PQ for Blu-rays and upscaled DVDs looks the same on both players, as far as I can tell. I am still working to get my Pioneer BDP-62FD to work well with Serviio and my expansive video collection (I need to create a custom profile), but on the few tests I've run the PQ is simply awesome. But, so was my Sony in this regard...
krutsch .... lol me to just can get enough ..of it ..ohh by the way have some recomendations for you..just got them it last week..trust me you'll be impress even more..

post #114 of 859 Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

krutsch...whats ur setting for video ..on the 62 am not sure ...what to set minds at..any sur........................

post #115 of 859 Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:

krutsch...whats ur setting for video ..on the 62 am not sure ...what to set minds at..any sur........................

If I understand what you are asking... for the Blu-ray player (Pioneer BDP-62FD) I set the HDMI out to 'Auto' and for the AVR (Pioneer VSX-1122-K) I set the HDMI out to 'Pure'. That way, the AVR reads the TV's capabilities and passes them through to the BD player, which then does all of the upscaling/processing from the bits directly off of the disc/media server.

Also, this combination of settings will ensure that 1080p/24 is set when playing back a Blu-ray or a compatible streaming video (example: correctly encoded DivX+ HD videos will playback at their natural frame rate - 24fps). This is the only streamer I've seen that will do this correctly and, along with PQLS, is another great reason to buy matched components.

If you were asking for something else, let me know...

post #116 of 859 Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I understand what you are asking... for the Blu-ray player (Pioneer BDP-62FD) I set the HDMI out to 'Auto' and for the AVR (Pioneer VSX-1122-K) I set the HDMI out to 'Pure'. That way, the AVR reads the TV's capabilities and passes them through to the BD player, which then does all of the upscaling/processing from the bits directly off of the disc/media server.
Also, this combination of settings will ensure that 1080p/24 is set when playing back a Blu-ray or a compatible streaming video (example: correctly encoded DivX+ HD videos will playback at their natural frame rate - 24fps). This is the only streamer I've seen that will do this correctly and, along with PQLS, is another great reason to buy matched components.
If you were asking for something else, let me know...
.. ok thanks... yeah thats it ..

post #117 of 859 Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

krutsch .... lol me to just can get enough ..of it ..ohh by the way have some recomendations for you..just got them it last week..trust me you'll be impress even more..

I already have the Getz/Gilberto disc - it's nice. I just ordered the George Benson monster audio disc from Amazon; I really like the various high-res mixes on those monster discs and I hope they make more. If you like classical music, you really need to try some of the old 3-channel recordings from the 50s and 60s - like the RCA Living Stereo collection. Those old wide-track analog tape masters remaster really well into SACD. Incredible sound, despite the tape hiss.

post #118 of 859 Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Love this player! Question for anyone who has a Pioneer AVR with the Sound Retriever function. I have the function enabled both on my BDP-62FD and my VSX-60. I notice on some discs the Sound Retriever function is working and on some discs the AVR reads "Not Available". Does anyone know why it works on some discs and not others? And furthermore, what is the use for the Sound Retriever function? I notice a boost in sound when it is available. Somewhere I read it's only supposed to be used for highly compressed audio sources such as streaming music, internet radio and music from iPods. I notice on regular cds it greatly enhances the sound. Otherwise the audio sounds rather dull.
post #119 of 859 Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdu11 View Post

Love this player! Question for anyone who has a Pioneer AVR with the Sound Retriever function. I have the function enabled both on my BDP-62FD and my VSX-60. I notice on some discs the Sound Retriever function is working and on some discs the AVR reads "Not Available". Does anyone know why it works on some discs and not others? And furthermore, what is the use for the Sound Retriever function? I notice a boost in sound when it is available. Somewhere I read it's only supposed to be used for highly compressed audio sources such as streaming music, internet radio and music from iPods. I notice on regular cds it greatly enhances the sound. Otherwise the audio sounds rather dull.

am not sure why..you said that on some disc the SRF works and on others it dont..i have both pioneer units 62FD/1121-K/VSX52...and the SRF is on all the time ...all my input source's save the A2 HD-DVD PLAYER..its just not compatible .. with todays tech... now SRF is used to improve the sound Q of compress audio file... but i have the SRF on all the time

post #120 of 859 Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdu11 View Post

I have a VSX-1122-K w/ the BDP-62FD. I set the Sound Retriever function to 'On' all of the time. When you are playing back Blu-rays, it disables the function - it uses Sound Retriever Link from the player to feed the bitrate to the AVR and higher bitrate (lossless audio) will disable the SR playback function. With DVDs - especially one's with DD 5.1 audio, which is very compressed, it will auto-magically re-enable playback to 'enhance' the sound. It sounds like you like the effect and I do to; with standard definition movies it really enlivens the audio.

With MP3/AAC (compressed) audio, it works much the same; I have a lot of FLAC (losssless CD audio) and it seems to disable it there, as well.

When I play CDs, SACDs and DVD-A discs, I always set the AVR to Pure Direct mode, which disable all processing - including SR. I think you will find, however, for CDs you won't need/want SR, but If you are playing CDs, and you like the SR processing, then make sure you have set the AVR to 'Standard Stereo' or one of the surround modes - not direct.

Let us know if you still can't get this to work as you expect.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page