AVS Owner's thread for the pioneer elite bdp-62fd.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 858 Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
hey guys ...anyone know 's when we can expect to see the new BDP-62FD in stores...and whats the new features..it may have ?

loves...home theather/music/football:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 858 Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is from highdefdigest.com

The new 3D player packs Qdeo video processing and playback for DVD-Audio and SACDs.

The BDP-62FD is the latest Blu-ray player to join Pioneer's Elite line, and it comes equipped with a few features that earn it the title. For starters, Pioneer has given their new player Marvell Qdeo video processing, which will give you better video quality whether you're watching a Blu-ray or upscaling from SD.

Order The Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection
Coming to Blu-ray September 18th!

Pioneer's new Blu-ray player has a few connectivity options as well. If you're the kind of person that has both a projector and a TV set up, you'll be happy to know that dual HDMI outputs are included to accommodate. The player also sports an Ethernet port for streaming of Netflix, Pandora and YouTube. Unfortunately, there's no Wi-Fi built in, so you'll have to pick up the adapter separately if you'd like to go wireless.

Finally, the BDP-62FD is equipped with different control options, including IP, RS-232, and via the iControlAV2012 smartphone app.

You'll be able to pick up the BDP-62FD later this month at a price of $399.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #3 of 858 Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Maybe it's time to give Pioneer another shot. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 858 Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It should arrive next week I believe, I'll have an update on it after I get it put through the bench tests.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #5 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11

Wow, that's a fine looking player. Looking forward to hearing reviews on it!
post #6 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

It should arrive next week I believe, I'll have an update on it after I get it put through the bench tests.
can't wait your review and the bench test, i hope the 62FD is bit perfect in all modes YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and RGB wink.gif
post #7 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Does anyone know yet if this new player will be able to play 96/24 FLAC files via the USB port on the front?

This would be a much-coveted feature for me, and will inform my buying decision between this and Denon's new Universal BDP.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #8 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

can't wait your review and the bench test, i hope the 62FD is bit perfect in all modes YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and RGB wink.gif

My main concern is the previous models had issues with edge enhancement you couldn't turn off. That looks bad no matter what the colorspace is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Does anyone know yet if this new player will be able to play 96/24 FLAC files via the USB port on the front?
This would be a much-coveted feature for me, and will inform my buying decision between this and Denon's new Universal BDP.

I'll give that a test as well, I have plenty of material to use.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #9 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Any chance you will be able to test MKV playback as well?
post #10 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

yes it will playback mkv....i think i'll go with this player as soon as i cant get my hands on one....looking forward to see how it stacks up against the BDP-23..AND BDP-51 both player s i have ......

post #11 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

Asking about testing MKV playback is far too generic. There are players that will play back MKVs only encoded a certain way, and that need custom settings, that will play back 60p but not 24p, or two channel audio and not stereo audio. The reason I don't say "This player plays back MKV" is because I haven't designed a large enough test suite to encompass all of these different settings. Perhaps in the future I'll have a full suite of things to test (and I imagine I will), but I could easily test an MKV, say it works or doesn't work, and then you could have the totally opposite experience with your MKV files.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #12 of 858 Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Chris-

Any information on the DAC type/spec in this unit would be appreciated, as I came up with nothing after a quick search...I was hoping that the 62FD would mimic the DAC content of the Pio SC-68 receiver (32 bit asynchronyous), as I believe the newest Oppos are said to have, as well.

Thanks!
post #13 of 858 Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
thanks Chris wink.gif
post #14 of 858 Old 09-21-2012, 05:52 AM

Liked: 10
Definitely on my to purchase list, can't wait to hear more details!
post #15 of 858 Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Liked: 16
Hi Smackrabbit,

Did you receive the player already ? And what are your first impressions ?

TV: Panasonic TX-P50VT30E
Audio | Receiver: Pioneer VSX-AX2AS-S (Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS) | Speakers: 2x KEF Q900 for Fronts | 2x KEF Q700 for Rears
Audio/Video Sources | Panasonic DMP-BDT 310 | Pioneer PL-510 | HTPC using Intel i3-3220 16GB XBMC on Ubuntu 13.10
post #16 of 858 Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prietz0r View Post

Hi Smackrabbit,

heres the link ... take a lot at what it can do....
http://youtu.be/y33EftCVwjY

post #17 of 858 Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prietz0r View Post

Hi Smackrabbit,

It arrived yesterday, it's still in the box as I was busy working on an iPhone article at AnandTech and then I had to calibrate a display that's here. I'll be getting it hooked up this weekend, I want to finally watch The Avengers on it. Hopefully the bench tests can be run this weekend as well, but I have no idea if I'll have time before Wednesday.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #18 of 858 Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Got my 62FD and SC-61 today, only tried the Star Trek VI Score on CD, Metallica's Black Album DVD-Audio (in Stereo) so far, but the build quality is really good. Wish the remote was backlit for the cost though. Will try out Deep Space Nine and Ancient Aliens on DVD later tonight to see how the upscaling works.

post #19 of 858 Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it built by Pioneer or Sharp?
post #20 of 858 Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

Is it built by Pioneer or Sharp?

The same OEM supplier as last year: TCL Corp.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=AZSQ.E244239&ccnshorttitle=Audio/Video+Apparatus&objid=1077079980&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073984370&sequence=1

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #21 of 858 Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quick notes:

- YCbCr 422 and 444 are perfect
- RGB has the tiniest errors, all of which are acceptable to us and will cause literally no issues (the largest dE caused is 0.3 or so)
- It seems there is no edge enhancement, which is welcome
- Also there is no Source Direct, which I still want on these

Further testing to continue with a review soon.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #22 of 858 Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 AM

Does it have "Aluminium Front Panel"?
post #23 of 858 Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why did they remove "Source Direct" as an option?
I have it on my, still in use, Pioneer 51FD and prefer it to 1080p setting.
post #24 of 858 Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I don't see any major difference between BDP-53 vs BDP-62. Sadly no 2D to 3D conversion, no upgrade in the Marvell chip, and most disappointingly, still no built-in wi-fi at that high price rolleyes.gif I guess I'm keeping my BDP-53 unless somebody can tell me a good reason to upgrade to BDP-62

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #25 of 858 Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

Why did they remove "Source Direct" as an option?
I have it on my, still in use, Pioneer 51FD and prefer it to 1080p setting.

It probably has to do with the chipset being used in the player. Some chipsets have a Source Direct mode built into them and so it's trivial to integrate into the player, some might not and then it's a trade-off between engineering it in, if possible, and the value gained from that. Source Direct is really uncommon in players, but I do like to see it in a player.

Source Direct vs. 1080p should make no difference, at all, with 99% of content provided it's 24p and you have that enabled.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #26 of 858 Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
People mean different things by "source direct".

The BDP-53FD from last year supports 480i/576i and yet does not specifically have a "source direct" resolution option, as in the 51FD. "Source Direct" here means same output resolution as input and you don't have to change it manually if you want 480i to output as 480i and 1080p as 1080p. This can't be a chipset limitation, but rather just the implementation of the logic in the algorithm.

IIRC the lack of "source direct" was raised with Pioneer rep last year but it looks like it fell on deaf ears. Even worse, the 62FD now drops 480i/576i and this itself could be hardware video chip limitation. I don't know if this uses Mediatek as last year's models.

Of course as everyone knows Oppo uses "source direct" to mean same output resolution as input, plus no or minimal video processing.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #27 of 858 Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM

I'm considering this player, anyone have this player yet? The oppo 103 is also a consideration, but at $500, I'm hoping the the cheaper 62FD will be as good @ $399.

thanks
post #28 of 858 Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Anyway, I just ordered a BDP-62FD from ebay for $375, I'll let everyone know what the results are.
post #29 of 858 Old 10-20-2012, 06:05 AM

Kickin, i cant wait to hear your thoughts on the 62. I have been waiting for this player to match up with my elite sc-65 avr (which is incredible by the way, coming from an onkyo 705 this made a HUGE improvement). Really wants me to get completely into the Pioneer family again!

post #30 of 858 Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

It does play FLAC from a connected USB device or over Ethernet. The question is... whether it sounds good doing that or not. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm about to compare the original CD to FLAC-on-a-USB-hard-disk and FLAC-over-network for tracks taken from the same CD being played in the disc drawer. Results will appear in the final review (Widescreen Review magazine). My initial impression is that the 3 methods don't sound identical. I will also compare the '62's sound on those tracks to the sound of my dedicate FLAC playback system (Mac Mini computer, solid state hard disk, FireWire 800 library hard disc, Wavelength Proton USB DAC and analog stereo connections to processor). Though I've never heard ANY HDMI input produce sound that's as good as the stereo analog sound from the dedicated FLAC playback system. And I use an AudioQuest Diamond DBS (dielectric bias system, uses a battery to create a 72v DC field that constantly "bathes" the insulation and conductors in a steady-state electrical field.) The Diamond is the top of the line HDMI cable and it is no better at all for video quality than any HDMI cable, even $5 or "free" hdmi cables that come in the box with some component. So NEVER spend money on an HDMI cable expecting any difference in video image quality because there isn't any... cheap is perfect for video-only HDMI cables. Movie sound also doesn't seem to suffer over inexpensive HDMI cables. But music playback (without video)... that's the only place I can find ANY differences between HDMI cables and the AQ Diamond is the "best sounding" HDMI cable I've ever found. I'm not expecting music from the 62 over HDMI to sound as good as the dedicated playback system, but I always have to check to be certain something special/miraculous hasn't happened.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page