Marantz UD5007 3D Universal Disc Player - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 88 Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 498
No problem. That's great that the repair center is so close if it comes to that.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon Fan View Post

I did not get time to try it out yet, but the good thing is that the Marantz Service Center is only a few miles away and I will be able to drop it off. I really appreciate your help.

It now works but seems to take a long time to connect as if there is a handshake problem. It was not doing this before. Checked updates but no new ones.
post #63 of 88 Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It now works but seems to take a long time to connect as if there is a handshake problem. It was not doing this before. Checked updates but no new ones.

I assume you have it connected to an AVR? Does it exhibit this behavior if directly connected to the HDTV (bypassing the AVR)?

post #64 of 88 Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I assume you have it connected to an AVR? Does it exhibit this behavior if directly connected to the HDTV (bypassing the AVR)?

I finally checked out the UD5007 today, both with it connected through the receiver and then connected direct through the TV. When connected direct to the TV, it played as it was suposed to. When connected through the receiver it experienced a handshake issue and finally came on. I have tried it through other receiver HDMI connections also. All did the same thing. I contacted HK today . The HDMI board is suspect, so i am requesting a receiver exchange. The receiver is still under warranty, so that is a relief. Thanks again for your asistance.
post #65 of 88 Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally checked out the UD5007 today, both with it connected through the receiver and then connected direct through the TV. When connected direct to the TV, it played as it was suposed to. When connected through the receiver it experienced a handshake issue and finally came on. I have tried it through other receiver HDMI connections also. All did the same thing. I contacted HK today . The HDMI board is suspect, so i am requesting a receiver exchange. The receiver is still under warranty, so that is a relief. Thanks again for your asistance.

Glad to help. It's too bad that you are having so many issues. frown.gif At least the Marantz is working now and the AVR is still under warranty. Good luck and hopefully you'll be back to enjoying your system soon.

post #66 of 88 Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi

I am myself an owner of the UD7006 but I am not happy with it for a number of reasons.
BUT I am maybe considering buying the UD5007.

Few questions about the UD5007 though :

1) is the device quiet during playback of Blu-Ray and Audio CD's ? (My UD7006 makes a constant noise which you can hear during quiet parts of the movie)
2) does the player sometimes seem to be stuck in a loop while turning it on or off ? (My UD7006 has this sometimes resulting in the red power light constantly flashing - only way to stop this is by pulling the power from the device)
3) when playing media files via USB directly or via DLNA network (for example a mkv file) with a refresh rate of 24p (most TV-series rips are 24p) does the player convert these files automatically to a 50p refresh rate ? (My UD7006 does this resulting in a stuttering image when panning which is VERY annoying)
4) does the player recognize external .SRT files when played over the DLNA network ? (My UD7006 does NOT, only recognized .SRT files when played directly via USB)

Thanks for answering these questions, much appreciated!
It is only from you users I can get this valuable information!

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #67 of 88 Old 04-13-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post

Hi

I am myself an owner of the UD7006 but I am not happy with it for a number of reasons.
BUT I am maybe considering buying the UD5007.

Few questions about the UD5007 though :

1) is the device quiet during playback of Blu-Ray and Audio CD's ? (My UD7006 makes a constant noise which you can hear during quiet parts of the movie)
2) does the player sometimes seem to be stuck in a loop while turning it on or off ? (My UD7006 has this sometimes resulting in the red power light constantly flashing - only way to stop this is by pulling the power from the device)
3) when playing media files via USB directly or via DLNA network (for example a mkv file) with a refresh rate of 24p (most TV-series rips are 24p) does the player convert these files automatically to a 60p refresh rate ? (My UD7006 does this resulting in a stuttering image when panning which is VERY annoying)
4) does the player recognize external .SRT files when played over the DLNA network ? (My UD7006 does NOT, only recognized .SRT files when played directly via USB)

Thanks for answering these questions, much appreciated!
It is only from you users I can get this valuable information!

My UD5007 is quiet. I had a 5005 that developed a lot of noise in the drive and I returned it. I have no problems with the 5007 at all. My only fault is that it does not have 7.1 analog outs and only has one HMDI output. I have never tried to play .SRT files on it. I understand the analog DAC in the 7006 is better but if you are using HDMI, it will not matter anyway. Hope this helps.
post #68 of 88 Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:

My UD5007 is quiet. I had a 5005 that developed a lot of noise in the drive and I returned it. I have no problems with the 5007 at all. My only fault is that it does not have 7.1 analog outs and only has one HMDI output. I have never tried to play .SRT files on it. I understand the analog DAC in the 7006 is better but if you are using HDMI, it will not matter anyway. Hope this helps.

It helps, but it would be very helpfull if you could also test questions 3+4 for me.
Thanks in advance!

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #69 of 88 Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

My Denon 1611 also developed a noisy drive as well, the 5005 and 1611 are essentially the same player. D&M must of had a run a bad drives. I've since replaced my 1611 with the 5007, the drive is silent and not audible even during the quieter passages of the movies.
post #70 of 88 Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

My Denon 1611 also developed a noisy drive as well, the 5005 and 1611 are essentially the same player. D&M must of had a run a bad drives. I've since replaced my 1611 with the 5007, the drive is silent and not audible even during the quieter passages of the movies.

I have bought a Philps BDP9700, also silent so far and and not audible even during the quieter passages of the movies smile.gif

post #71 of 88 Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 AM

Liked: 10

Hello, I have found a good deal on a Marantz UD5007. My surround system consist of 5.1 preamp, amp and speakers. I have a smart TV an LG 42LA641S. I am usually watching movies in HD format or TV shows which I download from the internet. I use an USB memory stick which I plug in the TV. From TV I have digital out to my preamp. It is OK. I am considering buy a blu-ray player the Marantz or something similar.

I am thinking that if I have a player and use its USB for the memory stick I will get a better sound and image. Is it true? Is the player going to process the movies from the stick and send it to TV? Or is the TV processor going to do it? If I take the sound from TV digital out or straight from player digital out to preamp will be processed? My preamp it rather old. It knoes only AC3 Dolby. It has very nice sound. If the movie is DTS after being processed by the player can be understood by the preamp?

Any feed back it would be greatly appreciated.

post #72 of 88 Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM

Dont buy the Marantz UD5007 for watching downloaded content from the internet. It is not a great player for that and does not play everything.
I would suggest buying a DUNE player for that, much better support for all kind of files. Plays everything you throw at it.

post #73 of 88 Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 AM

Thank you

post #74 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought a UD5007 and I discovered a major bug. When playing a DVD and resolution is set to either Source Direct or 480i, 4:3 video is stretched to 16:9. Aspect ratio is set to 16:9 Squeeze Auto. That setting is being ignored. I have the latest firmware.

I've reported it to Marantz. Now waiting for a response.

Panasonic TC-P60ST30, Ideal-Lume Bias Light
Lumagen Radiance 2020, Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS3, Marantz CD5004
Marantz SR7008, Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds/Backs, BIC America F12 Dual Subs
post #75 of 88 Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 AM

^ The Marantz customer service rep told me I need to have the player exchanged or serviced.

I'm pretty sure this is a software bug so it should just need a firmware update. All they need to do is have it recognize the 16:9 Squeeze Auto setting when it's outputting 480i (or 480p, it functions correctly with the other resolutions).

I went through their customer service site. I guess I need to call them now.

Have any other 5007 owners that use Source Direct on their player and also watch DVDs encountered this bug?

Marantz SR7008, Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds/Backs, BIC America F12 Dual Subs

Last edited by chronoclast; 06-26-2014 at 01:51 AM.
post #76 of 88 Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
^ The Marantz customer service rep told me I need to have the player exchanged or serviced.

I'm pretty sure this is a software bug so it should just need a firmware update. All they need to do is have it recognize the 16:9 Squeeze Auto setting when it's outputting 480i (or 480p, it functions correctly with the other resolutions).

I went through their customer service site. I guess I need to call them now.

Have any other 5007 owners that use Source Direct on their player and also watch DVDs encountered this bug?
I have not but I haven't used the source direct feature in this manner before. I will try it and get back to you.

post #77 of 88 Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM

This past weekend I figured out what is causing the 480i/p bug. If a DVD has any content that is flagged anamorphic 16:9, than all 4:3 content on the disc will also be stretched. If a DVD is all 4:3 with no anamoprhic flags, than it will all stay in 4:3. I tested different discs and got the same results. The player isn't handling anamorphic flags correctly.

I never called Marantz about it though because unfortunately the disc drive on mine has gotten noticeably louder over the past few days. When I first got it I couldn't hear it when sitting 8 ft away but now I can. I can hear it during quiet scenes. I also hear a slight clicking sound from the drive when I'm close by the player so I'm returning it.

For anyone interested, I ran it through test patterns when I first got it which it has some issues. I didn't see these mentioned in the thread:

Contrast is too high at the default of 0. It needs to be set to -1 to be correct.
Testing with Spears and Munsil, when set to YCbCr which is 4:4:4 it fails the chroma burst pattern when output is 1080p/24. It passes with 1080p/60 though. Also passes 1080p/24 when set to RGB Normal. It's odd but I never saw any issues in real material though.
The picture is stretched one row of pixels to the left in 1080p/24. 1080p/60 it's not.
There's occasional combing in the horizontal mixed film/video pattern. This shows in real material.
It fails the first half of the ship pattern with a lot of jaggies. I didn't notice any in real material.
Auto resume doesn't work if you turn the player off or I was never able to get it to work.

I'll give my impressions too with comparisons to the Sony S6200. PQ for BDs on the 5007 is excellent. To me it looks somewhat better than the S6200 set to direct in picture options, 5007 set to 0/off on everything except contrast at -1. It looks more natural and detailed. It's not a huge difference between them but a noticeable one.

DVD performance is actually pretty good depending on the disc. It upscales to 1080p pretty well but since the player's de-interlacer doesn't handle mixed film/video perfectly, this causes combing on discs that aren't authored as well like I was getting combing on certain anime DVDs. The 480i bug is of course an issue too if you want to use a better video processor.

I only used the Hulu Plus app and comparing it on the 5007 and S6200, the 5007 has better PQ. SQ is somewhat better on the 5007 too. The S6200 has much better menus in it's app though. The 5007's is low res and clunky to navigate.

I bought the 5007 because I got a refurb for a much cheaper price than an Oppo 103 as I didn't need a lot of the 103's features and it matched my Marantz AVR. I bought it to replace the S6200 which I also had issues and was unsatisfied with. The 5007 has it's positives but between the software issues and noisy disc drive I'm really disappointed. I'm going to buy an Oppo 103 to replace it.

Last edited by chronoclast; 07-03-2014 at 09:48 AM.
post #78 of 88 Old 07-03-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
This past weekend I figured out what is causing the 480i/p bug. If a DVD has any content that is flagged anamorphic 16:9, than all 4:3 content on the disc will also be stretched. If a DVD is all 4:3 with no anamoprhic flags, than it will all stay in 4:3. I tested different discs and got the same results. The player isn't handling anamorphic flags correctly.

I never called Marantz about it though because unfortunately the disc drive on mine has gotten noticeably louder over the past few days. When I first got it I couldn't hear it when sitting 8 ft away but now I can. I can hear it during quiet scenes. I also hear a slight clicking sound from the drive when I'm close by the player so I'm returning it.

For anyone interested, I ran it through test patterns when I first got it which it has some issues. I didn't see these mentioned in the thread:

Contrast is too high at the default of 0. It needs to be set to -1 to be correct.
Testing with Spears and Munsil, when set to YCbCr which is 4:4:4 it fails the chroma burst pattern when output is 1080p/24. It passes with 1080p/60 though. Also passes 1080p/24 when set to RGB Normal. It's odd but I never saw any issues in real material though.
The picture is stretched one row of pixels to the left in 1080p/24. 1080p/60 it's not.
There's occasional combing in the horizontal mixed film/video pattern. This shows in real material.
It fails the first half of the ship pattern with a lot of jaggies. I didn't notice any in real material.
Auto resume doesn't work if you turn the player off or I was never able to get it to work.

I'll give my impressions too with comparisons to the Sony S6200. PQ for BDs on the 5007 is excellent. To me it looks somewhat better than the S6200 set to direct in picture options, 5007 set to 0/off on everything except contrast at -1. It looks more natural and detailed. It's not a huge difference between them but a noticeable one.

DVD performance is actually pretty good depending on the disc. It upscales to 1080p pretty well but since the player's de-interlacer doesn't handle mixed film/video perfectly, this causes combing on discs that aren't authored as well like I was getting combing on certain anime DVDs. The 480i bug is of course an issue too if you want to use a better video processor.

I only used the Hulu Plus app and comparing it on the 5007 and S6200, the 5007 has better PQ. SQ is somewhat better on the 5007 too. The S6200 has much better menus in it's app though. The 5007's is low res and clunky to navigate.

I bought the 5007 because I got a refurb for a much cheaper price than an Oppo 103 as I didn't need a lot of the 103's features and it matched my Marantz AVR. I bought it to replace the S6200 which I also had issues and was unsatisfied with. The 5007 has it's positives but between the software issues and noisy disc drive I'm really disappointed. I'm going to buy an Oppo 103 to replace it.

Like you I replaced the Sony s6200 with this player. I wonder if the drive noise has anything to do with your buying a refurb.... Mine has been whisper quiet. I noticed PQ is notably better than the Sony. I haven't noticed any real-world issues, but I have not run the S&M disk to test. I'll report back when I do.

For the record, a good dealer can get you this player at the same retail that a well known internet-refurb seller can.

Pioneer Elite SC-75
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #79 of 88 Old 07-03-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with wade that the drive noise is unusual and may have something to do with it being a refurb. The other issues that you have discovered are more concerning and may indicate a software issue (and hopefully not a hardware design issue). I think I may go through the same routine with my player to compare results. Thanks for the detailed post.

post #80 of 88 Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have this blu ray player. It is replacing a high end older sony es dvd player I purchased about a decade ago.

In reviewing it, I really seem to like it minus the issue that has developed lately (more later).

It opens quickly and loads the disc in good time. It works as described though I don't have it networked. I have it hooked to a Marantz SR7008.
Music and Videos look and sound great.

My only gripe on the design is that there are no other dig coax or hdmi outs so I have to hook it to my receiver which servces as my hdmi hub. I didn't want to pay the extra money for the model up just for some of those features.

Now on to the issue:

Lately, it has developed this problem where we will watch a blu ray movie then eject the movie to put in another disc to watch (blu ray)
If we don't turn the player off after putting the new movie in it will not load the movie.
It will get into a continuous open/close cycle where you cannot press close or play and it play the movie.
the player has to be shut down and turned back on before it will play the movie.

Weird right? Ill be calling Marantz technical support to get their advice on this tomorrow and will update this

"Alcohol: The cause of and solution to ALL of life's problems" Homer Simpson
post #81 of 88 Old 07-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley300 View Post
I have this blu ray player. It is replacing a high end older sony es dvd player I purchased about a decade ago.

In reviewing it, I really seem to like it minus the issue that has developed lately (more later).

It opens quickly and loads the disc in good time. It works as described though I don't have it networked. I have it hooked to a Marantz SR7008.
Music and Videos look and sound great.

My only gripe on the design is that there are no other dig coax or hdmi outs so I have to hook it to my receiver which servces as my hdmi hub. I didn't want to pay the extra money for the model up just for some of those features.

Now on to the issue:

Lately, it has developed this problem where we will watch a blu ray movie then eject the movie to put in another disc to watch (blu ray)
If we don't turn the player off after putting the new movie in it will not load the movie.
It will get into a continuous open/close cycle where you cannot press close or play and it play the movie.
the player has to be shut down and turned back on before it will play the movie.

Weird right? Ill be calling Marantz technical support to get their advice on this tomorrow and will update this

are you using the latest firmware?

Pioneer Elite SC-75
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #82 of 88 Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That is the right question to ask. However, I searched the Marantz page for downloads and only found manuals.

Not sure where to go for firmware updates on these models

Does anyone here have a link?

"Alcohol: The cause of and solution to ALL of life's problems" Homer Simpson
post #83 of 88 Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone ever had any noisy high-pitched sounds from their UD5007 during playback? For some time, mine has inconsistently been making very distracting noise. I've e-mailed Marantz but no response yet. Just wondering if anyone here had any ideas or things to try for troubleshooting? The sound is loud enough that it's easily audible during dialogue scenes.

I've uploaded a video to youtube, although, recorded it with my phone but the squeaking sound should be noticeable.

post #84 of 88 Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismate View Post
Has anyone ever had any noisy high-pitched sounds from their UD5007 during playback? For some time, mine has inconsistently been making very distracting noise. I've e-mailed Marantz but no response yet. Just wondering if anyone here had any ideas or things to try for troubleshooting? The sound is loud enough that it's easily audible during dialogue scenes.

I've uploaded a video to youtube, although, recorded it with my phone but the squeaking sound should be noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK2hbfXY94
I'm unable to watch your video. However, from what you have describe it sounds like it needs service. I would wait for Marantz to get back to you or contact them by phone.

post #85 of 88 Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys, new here, so be gentle. Just bought a 5007 specifically to play multi-channel DVD-A and SACD. I had an ageing Samsung DVD player that did it, but it only output via the 6 channel analog. My old receiver died, and the new one (HK AVR171) doesn't have 6 channel analog in, so hence the upgrade to the 5007. But I'm having extreme difficulty understanding how to get multi-channel out via HDMI. The instructions in the manual refer to lots of pressing of the DISK LAYER button, but what I'm getting on screen doesn't match the manual,

Help
post #86 of 88 Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricko View Post
Hi guys, new here, so be gentle. Just bought a 5007 specifically to play multi-channel DVD-A and SACD. I had an ageing Samsung DVD player that did it, but it only output via the 6 channel analog. My old receiver died, and the new one (HK AVR171) doesn't have 6 channel analog in, so hence the upgrade to the 5007. But I'm having extreme difficulty understanding how to get multi-channel out via HDMI. The instructions in the manual refer to lots of pressing of the DISK LAYER button, but what I'm getting on screen doesn't match the manual,

Help
Maybe a dumb question but are you selecting the disc layer prior to inserting the disc?

post #87 of 88 Old 11-02-2014, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not a dumb question at all as the manual says that you should..... bit strange I thought, but I tried both ways, without much success I must say. Anyway, an update. Spoke to Marantz support and HK support and frankly Marantz won hands down. Their view was that I shouldn't need to be touching anything, and that the ud5007 is more than capable of handling all of the required formats.

So armed with this, I connected th ud5007 to a different amp (a Denon AVR-x2000) and bingo!. Everything played, beautifully, no issues. The Disk Layer function worked perfectly AFTER the disk was loaded.

So I can only conclude that there was something wierd going on with the HK.

I ended up swapping the amps over, and using the HK in a different settting where its extremely unlikely to ever handle SACD or DVD-A. I suppose I could swap it out for something else (the retailer had also been involved and as was as confused as me) but apart from this one issue the HK amp is great value at £250 (uk) and frankly I'm now fed up of spending so much time behing the racks fiddling with wiring, and reprogramming Harmonys.....

Happy Ending!
post #88 of 88 Old 11-02-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricko View Post
Not a dumb question at all as the manual says that you should..... bit strange I thought, but I tried both ways, without much success I must say. Anyway, an update. Spoke to Marantz support and HK support and frankly Marantz won hands down. Their view was that I shouldn't need to be touching anything, and that the ud5007 is more than capable of handling all of the required formats.

So armed with this, I connected th ud5007 to a different amp (a Denon AVR-x2000) and bingo!. Everything played, beautifully, no issues. The Disk Layer function worked perfectly AFTER the disk was loaded.

So I can only conclude that there was something wierd going on with the HK.

I ended up swapping the amps over, and using the HK in a different settting where its extremely unlikely to ever handle SACD or DVD-A. I suppose I could swap it out for something else (the retailer had also been involved and as was as confused as me) but apart from this one issue the HK amp is great value at £250 (uk) and frankly I'm now fed up of spending so much time behing the racks fiddling with wiring, and reprogramming Harmonys.....

Happy Ending!
That's certainly a strange issue. I would not have guessed that. Glad that you were able to sort everything out.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz , Blu Ray Disc Player