Marantz UD5007 3D Universal Disc Player - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 146 Old 01-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Member
 
mickboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle Area In Soggy Washington State
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Johnson View Post
Ha! Based on this, I changed my mind about getting a refurb marantz from A4less (I saw your post on the Yamaha BD-S677BL thread). I'm sure the Marantz is a lovely unit once you get one that works I'm just going to go with the Yamaha. It's probably not as spiffy looking in the electronics cabinet, but life's too short to be sending 10 pound units back in the mail . . .
Don't blame you at all Brenda. You won't be disappointed with the sound-it's incredible. And I've had my unit on 24/7 for over a week with no failures and it does not run hot, even after all that time, so it's solid in operation.
The Marantz, yeah, I know, but this is why I ditched Universal Players 5 years ago. The difference now is that they have got 97% of the bugs worked through. And the Marantz is worth it to me to get a good working unit as it will be my closet Back up and for $300 off list, again it's worth it to me to get a good unit.
Do me a favor, when you get your Yamaha, if it's a refurb, post for us the manufactured date-you'll find it on the back of the unit.
Enjoy.......
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
mickboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 146 Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Newbie
 
Brenda Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post
Do me a favor, when you get your Yamaha, if it's a refurb, post for us the manufactured date-you'll find it on the back of the unit.
Enjoy.......
Mickboy
Will do, on the Yamaha thread
Brenda Johnson is offline  
post #93 of 146 Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Can anyone provide any opinions on the performance on the UD5007 vs the Oppo 103 ?
triplejs15 is offline  
post #94 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
wadec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
Can anyone provide any opinions on the performance on the UD5007 vs the Oppo 103 ?
I've owned both, blu ray and dvd picture quality is identical. if you want/need the better streaming options or larger number of playable media files via USB/network - get the Oppo. If you don't, save a few $ and get the Marantz.

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(fw/s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
wadec22 is offline  
post #95 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
I've owned both, blu ray and dvd picture quality is identical. if you want/need the better streaming options or larger number of playable media files via USB/network - get the Oppo. If you don't, save a few $ and get the Marantz.
Agreed on the features. However, unless you find a deal on the Marantz the Oppo-103 (non Darbee edition) is actually cheaper. There might actually be some refurbs for sale at oppodigital.com as well for less.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound 2100; Parasound 275; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
post #96 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
wadec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Agreed on the features. However, unless you find a deal on the Marantz the Oppo-103 (non Darbee edition) is actually cheaper. There might actually be some refurbs for sale at oppodigital.com as well for less.
I suppose it depends on your local dealer or Best Buy but my experience has been you can get the Marantz for around 350.00, so you save a significant amount.

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(fw/s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
wadec22 is offline  
post #97 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
I suppose it depends on your local dealer or Best Buy but my experience has been you can get the Marantz for around 350.00, so you save a significant amount.
For that price it's kind of a no-brainer if you don't need the extras of the Oppo.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound 2100; Parasound 275; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
post #98 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
I've owned both, blu ray and dvd picture quality is identical. if you want/need the better streaming options or larger number of playable media files via USB/network - get the Oppo. If you don't, save a few $ and get the Marantz.
How about the Oppo 103D ?
triplejs15 is offline  
post #99 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
wadec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
How about the Oppo 103D ?

Tougher call. I have a separate Darbee, I'm a big fan of it. For me, the separate unit makes sense. I have too many sources to be able to route them through the 103D (Blu Ray, HD-DVD, PS4, Roku), so the combo unit made no sense for me. If I only had one other source to worry about, I think it might be a pretty convenient setup.


Also, the Darbee benefit is pretty subjective. Some people really like it, others do not. Some say it is influenced by screen size, as people with larger screens tend to have the most positive feelings towards it.

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(fw/s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
wadec22 is offline  
post #100 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
Tougher call. I have a separate Darbee, I'm a big fan of it. For me, the separate unit makes sense. I have too many sources to be able to route them through the 103D (Blu Ray, HD-DVD, PS4, Roku), so the combo unit made no sense for me. If I only had one other source to worry about, I think it might be a pretty convenient setup.


Also, the Darbee benefit is pretty subjective. Some people really like it, others do not. Some say it is influenced by screen size, as people with larger screens tend to have the most positive feelings towards it.


So your Darbee 5000 is in between your AVR and Projector ?
triplejs15 is offline  
post #101 of 146 Old 02-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
wadec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
So your Darbee 5000 is in between your AVR and Projector ?
Yes

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(fw/s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
wadec22 is offline  
post #102 of 146 Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Member
 
mickboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle Area In Soggy Washington State
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
I suppose it depends on your local dealer or Best Buy but my experience has been you can get the Marantz for around 350.00, so you save a significant amount.
Hello All.
Accessories4Less still has the UD5007 for $299 + $22 shipping inside the USA. I'm digging mine, although I had to send two back before I got a clean one. Not saying a lot about Marantz's service department, but they were very helpful in the exchanges and I figured they just had a bad run of lemons. But my current one sounds amazing on audio discs and as a Blu Ray/DVD player it really is a high quality unit.
So that's $319 out the door, significantly cheaper, with warranty, than the oppo for $500.
Mickboy
postrokfan likes this.

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
mickboy is offline  
post #103 of 146 Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I asked on other thread but here are owners of ud5007 at least some of them....Does anyone know-durinng sacd playback what is pcm (dsd off) output via hdmi 16 Or 24/176,4?
Anything about sacd - r playback related to firmware. I know that it can play but there is option that one day after update it will stop (oppo did it before now it can't).
Regards
jnikolic is offline  
post #104 of 146 Old 03-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Member
 
njgl_torres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post
Hello All.
Accessories4Less still has the UD5007 for $299 + $22 shipping inside the USA. I'm digging mine, although I had to send two back before I got a clean one. Not saying a lot about Marantz's service department, but they were very helpful in the exchanges and I figured they just had a bad run of lemons. But my current one sounds amazing on audio discs and as a Blu Ray/DVD player it really is a high quality unit.
So that's $319 out the door, significantly cheaper, with warranty, than the oppo for $500.
Mickboy
hi

i bought mine at safe&soundHQ.com for $389 brand new free shipping and no tax. accessories4less they sell Marantz Factory Refurbished which offer only 1yr warranty, also they sell open box for 349 w/ 3 yrs warranty. they are authorize marantz dealer. hope this help.
njgl_torres is offline  
post #105 of 146 Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgl_torres View Post
hi

i bought mine at safe&soundHQ.com for $389 brand new free shipping and no tax. accessories4less they sell Marantz Factory Refurbished which offer only 1yr warranty, also they sell open box for 349 w/ 3 yrs warranty. they are authorize marantz dealer. hope this help.
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered one today "New" to use as a transport, It replaces a Sony S6200 (which tried to replace an Oppo 105) but vibrated excessively , I'm looking forward to the unit and will post back my findings

Last edited by audiofan1; 03-12-2015 at 11:40 PM.
audiofan1 is offline  
post #106 of 146 Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Eriksdam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got mine last week, and I am happy with it so far!

Any way to make it region free???
audiofan1 likes this.
Eriksdam is offline  
post #107 of 146 Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 8,647
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Has anyone watched Mockingjay on their 5007?

Does that title have the audio dropouts that are being experienced on many other players?

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #108 of 146 Old 03-12-2015, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Has anyone watched Mockingjay on their 5007?

Does that title have the audio dropouts that are being experienced on many other players?

Have the issues been when the player is set to bitstream or lpcm?
audiofan1 is offline  
post #109 of 146 Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 8,647
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Have the issues been when the player is set to bitstream or lpcm?
Bitstream (with secondary audio mix disabled), which is required in order to listen to the Atmos soundtrack.
audiofan1 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #110 of 146 Old 03-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
patgilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgl_torres View Post
hi

i bought mine at safe&soundHQ.com for $389 brand new free shipping and no tax. accessories4less they sell Marantz Factory Refurbished which offer only 1yr warranty, also they sell open box for 349 w/ 3 yrs warranty. they are authorize marantz dealer. hope this help.
Bummer, I called yesterday to order one and they don't have any left. I went the eBay route for the same exact price for "A stock" but I'm sure it doesn't have a warranty. Still a great price so I will take my chances.
patgilm is offline  
post #111 of 146 Old 03-15-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post
Bummer, I called yesterday to order one and they don't have any left. I went the eBay route for the same exact price for "A stock" but I'm sure it doesn't have a warranty. Still a great price so I will take my chances.
They can be had through Amazon but I think there considered "Authorized refurbished" by Marantz but at least you would have a warranty and the option of getting additional warranty. this is why I for went Accessories 4less .
audiofan1 is offline  
post #112 of 146 Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Member
 
njgl_torres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post
Bummer, I called yesterday to order one and they don't have any left. I went the eBay route for the same exact price for "A stock" but I'm sure it doesn't have a warranty. Still a great price so I will take my chances.
hi... dont buy in ebay, they are not authorized dealer. you will not get the warranty. if you are not in a hurry, you ask them safe&sound, you will be in back order, i call they thursday i order another UD5007 for my brother they put me on back-order. which is ok. you cannot fine any price that they given. hope this help. thanks
audiofan1 likes this.
njgl_torres is offline  
post #113 of 146 Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgl_torres View Post
hi... dont buy in ebay, they are not authorized dealer. you will not get the warranty. if you are not in a hurry, you ask them safe&sound, you will be in back order, i call they thursday i order another UD5007 for my brother they put me on back-order. which is ok. you cannot fine any price that they given. hope this help. thanks
Sorry I'm the one who got the one of the last ones they had in stock
audiofan1 is offline  
post #114 of 146 Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
nismo604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Netflix SuperHD

For those of you using Netflix, I'm pretty sure when I first got this player it supported SuperHD but have just now noticed that SuperHD icon doesn't appear, instead only HD is shown. I've always updated to the latest firmware. Are any you getting SuperHD?
nismo604 is offline  
post #115 of 146 Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 5,450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 230
The SuperHD tag has been gone for a looooonnnnnggggg time. It has been discussed in the NF thread in the streaming area.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #116 of 146 Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
nismo604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
The SuperHD tag has been gone for a looooonnnnnggggg time. It has been discussed in the NF thread in the streaming area.
That's strange my Samsung plasma still has the SuperHD tag, I usually access Netflix via my Marantz but tried it on plasma and noticed the SuperHD tag which is why I asked.
nismo604 is offline  
post #117 of 146 Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 5,450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 230
You might want to start reading here. Has to do with the apps used in different devices. NF dropped the SpuerHD when they opened up their access. Quality is the same. Just dropped the moniker.


Netflix streaming quality


S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #118 of 146 Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Member
 
HsuDreamTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: East Haven, CT
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Im back in the game! Great refurb Marantz UD5007

Over a year from selling my Oppo BDP-83SE and having no universal player since I am in destitute times...Im back in the game. Got it for 300 change as a certified refurb and I am shocked at how nice it looks and the loading times are comparable to Oppos! If you guys are looking for low priced universal players look no further, pairs nicely with my Marantz SR8002.
audiofan1 likes this.

Marantz SR8002 Receiver, Marantz UD5007, Axiom M60Ti, Axiom VP150, Axiom QS8, HSU VTF-2 MK3, Xbox One, Wii U
HsuDreamTheater is offline  
post #119 of 146 Old 03-22-2015, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 770
After spending a few days with the UD5007 I must admit to real liking it a lot, this is after my last two players being the Oppo 95 and then an Oppo 105. If one isn't in need of the additional feature set they can offer and in need of an extremely well made transport with video on par and in some aspects better than the two mentioned, I wouldn't hesitate to mention this player! Its that good
audiofan1 is offline  
post #120 of 146 Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edfowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: central Indiana
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Thanks for the good report audiofan1. I think I will order one for myself on your recommendation then
edfowler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Disc Player , Marantz

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off