2 quick questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an LG 670 BR player with a USB 2.0 port, and have been using an external hard drive to watch my ripped movie collection for about a year now. Well, I'm about to exceed the 500GB size of the hard drive, so I bought a new SeaGate GoFlex 3TB external hard drive last Sunday night off of Amazon. It was reasonably priced, and I LOVED the idea of having that much space for future rips, backups, etc etc. Anyway, long story short, the new SeaGate hard drive is USB 3.0, and apparently it's not compatible with the USB 2.0 of the BR player (even though USB 3.0 is supposed to support 2.0.) I'm thinking it must be an LG issue, because my MacBook sees the drive just fine. But I have the most current software update from LG, and it doesn't seem to rectify this issue. So my question is, is there an adapter that can be purchased to make this setup work? Or should I just look for a new BR player that has USB 3.0 functionality? A new player isn't really in my budget at the moment, so if there's any possible way to make what i currently have work, I'd love to do that.

Also, a little off topic, but I was wondering if running my Yamaha Aventage 2010 amp in "9ch Stereo" from the "Sound Program" menu will cause any harm to any of my components. My current setup is only 5.1, but the 9ch Stereo setting sounds amazing coming out of my speakers. My friend recommends that I stick with a 5.1 setting on the amp, and said to use the "Surround Decoder" setting in the sound program on-screen menu. This particular setting sounds decent, but in my opinion, not nearly as full and rich as the 9ch Stereo setting. However, if it's damaging anything with my amp or speakers, I'll re-set it to the Surround Decoder program. If it's any help, like I said, my receiver is a Yamaha Aventage 2010, my mains are Klipsch Forte IIs, surround speakers are Klipsch RS-62s, and my sub is a Klipsch Synergy 12. I forgot what the center is, but it's an older Klipsch center channel speaker.

Thanks in advance for any and all answers or responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy1324 View Post

I have an LG 670 BR player with a USB 2.0 port, and have been using an external hard drive to watch my ripped movie collection for about a year now. Well, I'm about to exceed the 500GB size of the hard drive, so I bought a new SeaGate GoFlex 3TB external hard drive last Sunday night off of Amazon. It was reasonably priced, and I LOVED the idea of having that much space for future rips, backups, etc etc. Anyway, long story short, the new SeaGate hard drive is USB 3.0, and apparently it's not compatible with the USB 2.0 of the BR player (even though USB 3.0 is supposed to support 2.0.) I'm thinking it must be an LG issue, because my MacBook sees the drive just fine. But I have the most current software update from LG, and it doesn't seem to rectify this issue. So my question is, is there an adapter that can be purchased to make this setup work? Or should I just look for a new BR player that has USB 3.0 functionality? A new player isn't really in my budget at the moment, so if there's any possible way to make what i currently have work, I'd love to do that.

Just a guess, because I'm not familiar with that player, but there is a similar situation on OPPO.

The issue is not USB 2 vs 3, but rather the size of the disc and the partition tables used.

Older discs under 2TB use MBR partitioning, which is supported by the player. Newer discs over 2TB use GPT partitioning which is not supported.

You should ask this in the LG 670 thread to see if anyone can confirm this.

You could try repartitioning the disc to use MBT, but 2TB will be the maximum size. Maybe make two partitions? I don't know if the player will see both.

-Bill
post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for all the info, Bill. I will look to see if partitioning the 3TB drive into 2 smaller drives will make a difference.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd670 3d Wireless Network Blu Ray Disc Player With Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page