Oppo 93 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

I have been running a Panasonic BDt-500 for the past few weeks. I like the picture, but there is a high percentage of disk which freeze and lock up. I am assuming this is just a faulty unit and I plan on sending back to Amazon.

Before I order another Panny, I was thinking up going with an Oppo 93.

My main interest from the unit is the quality of the blu-ray and 3d blu ray. I am not that much into music so I think some of the advance features of the Oppo do not matter to me.

My question is is the Oppo a better player for movies than the Panny 500? The other question I have is I have a Sharp 70LE847 and a Yamaha Rx-A3000. They all can process video. So if I go with the Oppo would I have the Oppo process the video? Currently I have the Sharp processing the video.

Thanks for you assistance

PS: Also is the new Oppo-103 worth waiting for if I go the Opp route. (feature wise and quality)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 980
^ The 93 is Out of Stock at OPPO although folks have found units here and there still at resellers. So unless you luck into one of those, the 103 will be the one you need to focus on. Expected to ship in October. See the 103/105 Anticipation thread here for details just starting to come out.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post

Hello
I have been running a Panasonic BDt-500 for the past few weeks. I like the picture, but there is a high percentage of disk which freeze and lock up. I am assuming this is just a faulty unit and I plan on sending back to Amazon.
Before I order another Panny, I was thinking up going with an Oppo 93.
My main interest from the unit is the quality of the blu-ray and 3d blu ray. I am not that much into music so I think some of the advance features of the Oppo do not matter to me.
My question is is the Oppo a better player for movies than the Panny 500? The other question I have is I have a Sharp 70LE847 and a Yamaha Rx-A3000. They all can process video. So if I go with the Oppo would I have the Oppo process the video? Currently I have the Sharp processing the video.
Thanks for you assistance
PS: Also is the new Oppo-103 worth waiting for if I go the Opp route. (feature wise and quality)

As much as I love my oppo, if your only interest is BD discs and not some of the advanced features, I'm tempted to recommend a much cheaper player. The main advantage for you for the oppo will be the excellent customer support. A 1-200 dollar bluray player is an expendable commodity in the eyes of the manufacturer, the oppo is an investment in a player to last a while. Oppo has excellent customer support and fixes issues via firmware pronto. The two generation old 83 had a firmware update in March of this year. My bedroom panasonic hasn't had a firmware update in 2 years, fortunately its used primarily for dvd not bluray.

Only you can decide is an oppo is a worth while investment to you.

If you decide to go the oppo, you'll have to decide which one you want to do video processing. I'd recommend the oppo. Its better than anything our there. I'd also recommend waiting on the 103, its processor is a more advanced version of what is available in the 93.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Please post in the OPPO 93 owner's thread or the "help me pick a BR player" stickies

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Yamaha Rx A3000 7 1 Channel Audio Video Receiver Black , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player