Need Your Advice on Sony BDP-S790 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an issue with this player and need some advice. I got this yesterday via UPS. Purchased it from ABT electronics. I set it up to work wirelessly in less than 10 minutes. Keep in mind, this is my 5th Sony blu ray player I've purchased in the last 5 years. Not that anything has happened to the other players, I've moved them around to other rooms within my home, given 2 away to family members, etc. I like to keep up with new technology, plus I'm hooked on Sony blu ray players. When I tried to update the firmware on the S790, it seem like it took forever for the upgrade to download, finally I got a message that stated; check internet connection, check ethernet cable, etc. So, it did NOT do the upgrade succesfully, but it went back to the main menu, which is ok cause at least it didn't freeze altogether. What I did is I reset my Netgear router, which I rearely do, then went back to the player. I tried again to perform the update and again it failed. When I clicked on Network Settings, then clicked on Internet Settings, then clicked on View Network Status, the signal strength fluctuated between 43% and 48%. My previous blu ray player (Sony BDP-S780) always dispayed a signal strength of 75%, sometimes a littler higher. After l tried to perform the update a 3rd time, it finally updated to the latest firmware. I tried something after the update. I unplugged the player for 3 minutes, turned in back on and signal strength increased to 53%. This is weird? Should the signal strength really matter in your opinion? Did I get a lemon?

I am able to connect to apps such as Netflix, Vuddu, Pandora with no problems. In fact, I saw a horror movie called Baby Shower on Netflix today without any interuptions, such as rebuffering or a dropped internet connection. Movie played flawlessly, plus picture quality was outstanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Please post all questions and comments in the owners thread

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Movies , Sony Bdp S780 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page