post #3421 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg33 View Post

Thank you for your feedback. wink.gif
But without those Qdeo treatments, as Sharpness and contrast, is the difference still notable ?
I'm starting to think that the only difference between a blu-ray player and another is post-treatment (like the Qdeo does, which seems to be the best around).
Without Qdeo processing, I think it's hard to tell the difference between two BD player, what ever their price.
Yes, even without the QDEO the picture is amazing. As most reviews say, it's reference. I have a $100 cheap bluray player also and on my 50" Kuro I can tell the difference immediately. For bigger screens and projectors I'd say this would be even more so. Just my 2c.
Coupled with great DVD up scaling, 3D, streaming etc its worth the investment smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks. wink.gif
post #3423 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

LipSync

It would be great if LipSync would get corrected. I can watch an older foreign TV series with subtitles-Korean on my 103 (Netflix) and the sync would be perfect.
I can watch a more modern TV Series-Terra Forma and Lipsync would be noticeable (audio lagging). Oppo to my A100. A100 to my Sony CRT TV.
Dave

Dave, have you updated to the latest "Official" firmware? Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information. The Main firmware number should end 1211.

For shiny disc playback, there are no remaining audio/video sync errors in the player that I'm aware of where audio lags video. In most cases for shiny disc playback, sync is now CORRECT at the player's outputs -- assuming the sync was correct in the content to begin with. The remaining error cases have audio early (ahead of video) by a small amount.

If you are seeing audio behind video while playing a shiny disc, the odds are the error is inherent in the content as authored onto the disc.

If you meant the sync error was in a Netflix stream using the native Netflix app on the 103, then the odds are excellent it is an error in the content files Netflix is streaming. You can use the Report a Problem link for that Title on the Netflix web site to tell them about the error.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3424 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerreed View Post

Samsung pn51e7000 arrived today and Oppo BDP-103 should be here tomorrow. I would really appreciate some advice with connecting my home theater set up as my older Yamaha RX-V1300 does not have any HDMI inputs or outputs. . .

My plan:

1.Yamaha 5.1 analog outputs to Oppo 5.1 analog inputs
2.Comcast cable box HDMI output to Oppo HDMI input
3.Oppo HDMI 1 output with Marvell video processing to Samsung HDMI input (for Comcast cable box)
4.Oppo HDMI 2 output with Mediatek video processing to Samsung HDMI input (for Oppo Blu-Ray)
5. Drink beer and hope nothing explodes

#1 is backwards, but that's probably just a typo. Connect the 5.1 Analog OUTPUTS of the OPPO to the INPUTS of the Yamaha

#4 is not necessary. You can use the HDMI 1 connection in #3 for everything.

For your Comcast box, to get the best results from the video processing in the OPPO set the Comcast to output the same video resolution as is coming in on the channel you are watching (480i, 720p, or 1080i depending on the channel). This is called "Native" output. For most Comcast boxes, you set that by using the Comcast remote to turn the box OFF. Then, with the box, still OFF, press Menu to bring up the special settings menu. The first line is output resolution. Change that to Native. Press Menu again to exit the special menu and turn the box back on normally.

Set this way, you will get HDMI handshake delays when you change channels that have different resolutions, but after a few seconds that will settle down and the resulting video quality will be better.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3425 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

. . . .

Also spoke to Roku and they know there is a glitch with the new software installation and they are working on it. I don't want to waait and now I believe people should wait to buy the stick or buy the reaal deal (XS).
I have seen another post here from a guy with the same problem installing the software, although everything on his case seems to be fine after that.

None of the Beta testers using the Roku Streaming Stick have run into a problem like this. I think the odds are your stick simply failed. Of course that's what warranties are for.
--Bob

post #3426 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmil7991 View Post

I'm having a problem with lip-syncing on a few blu-ray discs since the latest firmware upgrade. I'm running HDMI 1 directly to my Panasonic GT30. Then, I'm running the optical to a switch box then optical from the switch box to a Marantz receiver. Before the firmware upgrade, sound and picture were in sync. Before I got the 103 I had a Panasonic 110 going through the same set up and there weren't any problems either. Now the sound is ahead of the picture. Usually, if there is a lip-sync problem, it's the picture ahead of sound. I noticed the lip-sync problem with Pixar movies like Ratatoullie or Disney's Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary edition. But I have noticed it with non-animation movies too. I haven't played any regular DVDs since the firmware upgrade, so I don't know if DVDs are having the same problem. Also, I noticed when the sound first starts, there is a delay of a second or two before the sound pops on. This is usually just at the beginning of the disc starting. I called OPPO and talked to their tech support and they wrote up a problem report. Is anyone else having this problem?

By my testing in the current Official firmware, HDMI 1 video and Optical "Bitstream" audio output have CORRECT Sync at the player's outputs when playing Blu-ray discs.

Since you are seeing audio ahead of video, that means there's some excess video processing delay happening in your Display. The usual culprit in such cases is 1080p/24 processing in the Display. Try sending 1080p/60 to the display instead. (In the OPPO, set 1080p/24 OFF.)

If that isn't the answer, then check the settings for the input you are now using on the Display to see if any video "enhancement" processing is enabled. If so, turn all that off.

When checking this, be sure you are using content which is known to have correct sync to begin with, as many commercial discs have sync error inherent in the content -- often varying scene by scene.

I recommend you test using the A/V Sync chart on Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", calibration Blu-ray.
--Bob

post #3427 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM

Has anyone else experienced issues with "brightness flickering" with the picture on the 103?

Twice now, that I've noticed, while watching SD source material I've encountered a sort of rapid "lightening and darkening" on screen while viewing. Once from a mkv. stored on my usb hard drive, and once, just last night, while watching Whip It off DVD. It's very evident in the "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen but I expect the problem is happening with the picture as a whole and just not as evident is non-static potions of the screen. So, the black bars show rapid flickering, as if the "brightness settings" were going all over the allowed settings from 0-10, or 0-20, whatever...they never go white, or bright grey or anything just quickly run around in 20 shades of dark.

I have not noticed this problem with any BD sources at this point and am thinking it may have something to do with the upconverting. Neither have I had this problem with my other video sources...a PS3 and 3rd Gen AppleTV.

Is this a known issue? Suggestions? Should I report it to OPPO?
post #3428 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post

Has anyone else experienced issues with "brightness flickering" with the picture on the 103?

Twice now, that I've noticed, while watching SD source material I've encountered a sort of rapid "lightening and darkening" on screen while viewing. Once from a mkv. stored on my usb hard drive, and once, just last night, while watching Whip It off DVD. It's very evident in the "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen but I expect the problem is happening with the picture as a whole and just not as evident is non-static potions of the screen. So, the black bars show rapid flickering, as if the "brightness settings" were going all over the allowed settings from 0-10, or 0-20, whatever...they never go white, or bright grey or anything just quickly run around in 20 shades of dark.

I have not noticed this problem with any BD sources at this point and am thinking it may have something to do with the upconverting. Neither have I had this problem with my other video sources...a PS3 and 3rd Gen AppleTV.

I haven't see that reported before.

If you want to try some diagnostics:

Do you get the same effect from HDMI1 & 2?

Are you connected directly to the display? If not, try that.

Does cycling through the output resolutions make a difference?

How about turning DVD 24p off and on?

Do you have a calibration disc with test patterns? It would be good to use reference source of known quality.

-Bill
post #3429 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post

There are two possibilities here:

1) It is authored that way on the disc. It happens (albeit not often).

2) For the Display input you are using from the OPPO, you've forgotten to turn off the "feature" that does automatic black levels adjustment. This could be called just about anything, as the marketeers who name these things love to invent new names, but will probably be (incorrectly) described in the Display's Manual as "automatic Gain" or "automatic Contrast" adjustment. Or perhaps something fanciful like "Dynamic Blacks". Sometimes this will be enabled by default if you have selected the incorrect Picture Mode for that input on the Display.

Since it is not happening with your PS3 input, compare the settings in the Display for that input with the ones you are using for the OPPO.

Also check in the owner's thread for your Display, as the odds are other owners will have stumbled across this "feature" as well and will know how to take it out and shoot it.
--Bob

post #3430 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Not entirely off topic:

2 weeks ago I had stuttering on my network when I tried mkv streaming to the Oppo wired; I switched to wireless with no problems. After a ton of reading, and trial and error fixes, this is how I fixed the stuttering on the wired connection:

Device Manager>NIC>Properties>Advanced>Speed and Duplex; changed Auto Negotiation to 100Mbps Full Duplex. I have a gigabit router & switch, however, this is Windows 7 . . .

I am off to buy a Synology NAS.

Willie
post #3431 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 AM

Liked: 16
Lipsync,
My shiny disks play very well. No issues that I can determine. Love the audio and video. Love the SMB also where I can just navigate to my FLAC/Photo files from my hard drive attached to my PC. Don't need third party music programs as many have stated unless they want to. Its the Netflix stream that can can have some lipsync issues but depends on the show. Currently its just this TV series Terra Nova that had a slight Lipsync issues. But loving my player either way.I/m not even complaining just noticing this if others have the same issue on this particular TV series.
Dave
post #3432 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post

Yes, even without the QDEO the picture is amazing. As most reviews say, it's reference. I have a $100 cheap bluray player also and on my 50" Kuro I can tell the difference immediately. For bigger screens and projectors I'd say this would be even more so. Just my 2c.
Coupled with great DVD up scaling, 3D, streaming etc its worth the investment smile.gif

Just stepped up to the Oppo 103 from a Panny 320. Picture on my 106" screen is noticeably sharper since the change, especially DirecTv signal (box is now set to "native" so the oppo upscales). The Oppo 103 is definitely worth it.

Video: Epson 5010 / SI Black Diamond G3 1.4 / Oppo BDP-103 / Darbee Darblet
Audio: Yamaha RX-A820 / Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200/ B&W: CM9s, CMC2, CM7s / Seaton Submersive HP
post #3433 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM

Ok, I just purchased the 103. Currently I am running my 83 directly into my denon and out to my Sony VPN vw60 projector(HDMI of course). I am going to keep it that way for the 103. Any issues w/lip sync and the 3808? I will be getting a 3313 in Jan. anything I should know? I searched the thread and didn't see much on the 3808 and issues.

Mark
post #3434 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 AM

I bought BDP-103 recently. It sees my NAS shares through SMB and plays without any problem. If I put new files into NAS box, OPPO BDP-103 does not see the new files. How do I refresh OPPO so it can see the recently added files in the NAS box.

Thanks...
post #3435 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Not entirely off topic:
2 weeks ago I had stuttering on my network when I tried mkv streaming to the Oppo wired; I switched to wireless with no problems. After a ton of reading, and trial and error fixes, this is how I fixed the stuttering on the wired connection:
Device Manager>NIC>Properties>Advanced>Speed and Duplex; changed Auto Negotiation to 100Mbps Full Duplex. I have a gigabit router & switch, however, this is Windows 7 . . .
Willie
Have you tried a different network cable just to make sure the cable isn't the culprit? It could also be the network card in your PC (or the motherboard network port) just isn't good enough - a lot of people find that oddball network issues get resolved by switching to an Intel network card or a motherboard with an Intel network chipset. Of course, there are no guarantees that making such a change would help...
post #3436 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by amert20 View Post

I bought BDP-103 recently. It sees my NAS shares through SMB and plays without any problem. If I put new files into NAS box, OPPO BDP-103 does not see the new files. How do I refresh OPPO so it can see the recently added files in the NAS box.
Thanks...

I suspect you may actually be accessing the files via DNLA, not SMB. If there are two icons on the network screen for the NAS, one is DNLA and one is SMB. The DNLA icon should be 2 little monitor screens, the SMB icon should be 2 little computer towers.

In any case, simply backing out of the network screen and going back in should refresh the SMB shares, but power cycling the player will force a complete re-discovery of shares.
post #3437 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just got my modkit from Denmark, the installation gives a link to the firmware to activate it, but the link doesn't work. Does anyone have the firmware or a working link?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #3438 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

By my testing in the current Official firmware, HDMI 1 video and Optical "Bitstream" audio output have CORRECT Sync at the player's outputs when playing Blu-ray discs.
Since you are seeing audio ahead of video, that means there's some excess video processing delay happening in your Display. The usual culprit in such cases is 1080p/24 processing in the Display. Try sending 1080p/60 to the display instead. (In the OPPO, set 1080p/24 OFF.)
If that isn't the answer, then check the settings for the input you are now using on the Display to see if any video "enhancement" processing is enabled. If so, turn all that off.
When checking this, be sure you are using content which is known to have correct sync to begin with, as many commercial discs have sync error inherent in the content -- often varying scene by scene.
I recommend you test using the A/V Sync chart on Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", calibration Blu-ray.
--Bob

Thanks for your reply. I'll check to see if the 1080p/24 is on when I get home tonight. Man, that would be great if that is it. Except for the recent lip-sync problem, I really love this player and all OPPO products. This is my 5th DVD/Blu-Ray player from OPPO.
post #3439 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Not entirely off topic:

Willie

Thanks for the useful tip Williesmile.gif!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #3440 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

I set up the BDP-103 under Network tried to view the MKV files however it does not even see them in the directory. The files are on a DLInk NAS I see them fine from other computers-any ideas?! Thx
post #3441 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post

I set up the BDP-103 under Network tried to view the MKV files however it does not even see them in the directory. The files are on a DLInk NAS I see them fine from other computers-any ideas?! Thx

Is this via DLNA or SMB?

Are you looking under the Movies category?

-Bill
post #3442 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Is this via DLNA or SMB?
Are you looking under the Movies category?
-Bill

It should be SMB (DLink NAS 321) I did go under movies. Thanks
post #3443 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Have you tried a different network cable just to make sure the cable isn't the culprit? It could also be the network card in your PC (or the motherboard network port) just isn't good enough - a lot of people find that oddball network issues get resolved by switching to an Intel network card or a motherboard with an Intel network chipset. Of course, there are no guarantees that making such a change would help...

Yes. I swapped cables, tried a different router; by-passed my main switch (Trendnet 24 port gigabit) going direct to the router, upgraded NIC drivers (on board Realtek PCIe GBE), etc. No joy. No matter what I did it was a problem on the 3 machines I stream from. All Win 7 Pro 64bit. Maybe it is a Realtek issue. I will try Intel NIC when I get a chance.

Willie
post #3444 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post

It should be SMB (DLink NAS 321) I did go under movies. Thanks

Try copying the files to local storage like a thumb drive or optical disc in the player itself. Do the files appear?

-Bill
post #3445 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post

I was a very happy BDP-83 user for many years and just "upgraded" to the 103 and am finding the analog audio to be horrible!
I am essentially using it as a preamp/processor.
BDP-103 to the TV with HDMI
BDP to the amp with analog 5.1
PS3 into the BDP-103 in HDMI1 in.
There are 2 HUGE problems... not minor annoyances.
1. HISS on the analog outs. On all channels, unrelated to volume there is lots of hiss. This is not a cabling/interference or any other issue. I unplugged the BDP-83 which was DEAD silent, and plugged in the 103.. same cables, same setup, same everything. One was silent and the other is hiss. The only difference is the PS3 plugged into it, so I unplugged that.. same hiss. The hiss is constant and unrelated to volume (except when you go to 0 then its dead silent). I even tried changing the volume to fixed on a part of a movie with very little noise and same hiss so even if I did have a preamp the BDP-103 would be bad with 5.1 analog out. I saw one other person in this thread mention this and everyone said it was an issue with his or her setup (cabling, lighting etc) - I can assure you it is not.
2. Whenever there is HDMI handshake with the Oppo there is a sound spike at FULL volume. I had to stop testing the HDMI in on the BDP-103 for fear of damaging my speakers, my hearing, and having the apartment next door kill me.
Unless I have a defective unit I am struggling to understand how the BDP-103 is getting praise... perhaps people are not using the analog audio at all. With such bad analog audio and the potentially equipment damaging sound pops I don't even know why oppo made analog out on the 103.
This is extremely surprising to me as I have heaped tons of praise and recommendations on Oppo for my experience with the 83 (and the way they repaired my 83 for free when it broke but was WAY out of warranty).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post

No worries, I am emailing them back and forth about the problem. Their customer service is great as always. smile.gif I don't know if anyone is using their 103 direct to their amp and one other person that was on this thread complained of the same hissing. Its actually how I found this website/thread by searching BDP-103 hiss - see quote below. From what I can see everyone direct connecting to an amp is using a 105.

Could I ask a favor, if you have the capability to test the problems I mention could you do it AND report to Oppo if you hear the hiss? There are two other posts than mine about the hiss as well as several complaints about it on AVForums but Oppo support says that no else has reported the issue so there is nothing they can do but exchange or return mine. (this will be difficult since I live in switzerland and have a USA model player).

The easiest way to do this if you are using a receiver instead of direct connect to the amp like I am (I don't have a receiver but in theory this should have the same result):
1. Changed the BDP-103 from fixed to variable so that you can use the volume control
2. Lower the volume on the BDP-103 to 1
3. Raise the volume on your receiver to max or close to max
4.a Go to a silent scene in a movie and change the volume on the BDP-103 between 0 and 1. 0 will be dead silent, 1 will have hiss.
4b. Alternate way is go into the speaker test screen in the BDP and select a speaker you don't have (for example I have 5.1 so I select one that I don't have).. then change the volume between 0 and 1.
You cannot test while no sound is playing as the BDP-103 is silent when there is no sound playing but there is sound playing to a speaker no connected so it will hiss.

There is no need to go above 1 because the hiss is constant no matter the volume of the player so long as its not 1.

Please? smile.gif
post #3446 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanaki View Post

Hi all -
I ran into a serious lip-sync issue last night with the Blu-Ray version of Total Recall.
So did I. It was awful. At least I know it was the disk and not my Oppo. Mine was a DVD-Express rental.
post #3447 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by amert20 View Post

Thanks...

I have the same behavior. I believe the Oppo caches directory information which probably speeds things up. It is a good thing as far as I am concerned. I resolve this by going back to the network menu, use the '...' to rescan, choose my SMB share and voila the new files are there. In fact I am not sure a rescan is necessary, maybe just rechoosing your SMB share will be enough.
post #3448 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

#1 is backwards, but that's probably just a typo. Connect the 5.1 Analog OUTPUTS of the OPPO to the INPUTS of the Yamaha
#4 is not necessary. You can use the HDMI 1 connection in #3 for everything.
For your Comcast box, to get the best results from the video processing in the OPPO set the Comcast to output the same video resolution as is coming in on the channel you are watching (480i, 720p, or 1080i depending on the channel). This is called "Native" output. For most Comcast boxes, you set that by using the Comcast remote to turn the box OFF. Then, with the box, still OFF, press Menu to bring up the special settings menu. The first line is output resolution. Change that to Native. Press Menu again to exit the special menu and turn the box back on normally.
Set this way, you will get HDMI handshake delays when you change channels that have different resolutions, but after a few seconds that will settle down and the resulting video quality will be better.
--Bob

Thank you, kind sir. By the way, #1 was not a typo. It is I that am backwards smile.gif. . .
post #3449 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Am I reading right that the Oppo can stream content over the network as in music and avi files? If so I'd appreciate a walk through, been playing with settings on both ends with no results.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #3450 of 17806 Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Am I reading right that the Oppo can stream content over the network as in music and avi files? If so I'd appreciate a walk through, been playing with settings on both ends with no results.

It's a big topic. You can use DLNA and/or SMB. Where are your files now?

The FAQs in my signature have info and links.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page